Windows Phone Free-Fall May Force Microsoft To Push Harder On Windows 10
Melzzzzz
2016-04-24 04:44:43 UTC
"Microsoft sold a minuscule 2.3 million Lumia phones last quarter, down
from 8.6 million a year ago. Phone revenue declines will only "steepen"
during the current quarter, chief financial officer Amy Hood warned
during a conference call. That's dragged down Microsoft's results as a
company, too. As the company's mobile device strategy continues to
disintegrate, Microsoft may feel compelled to push harder on Windows 10
adoption and paid services to prove it can survive without a viable
smartphone. CEO Satya Nadella's strategy is simple enough: grow
Microsoft's revenues by convincing customers to adopt its paid
subscription services."

https://news.slashdot.org/story/16/04/23/0323223/windows-phone-free-fall-may-force-microsoft-to-push-harder-on-windows-10
Marek Novotny
2016-04-24 04:52:18 UTC
Post by Melzzzzz
"Microsoft sold a minuscule 2.3 million Lumia phones last quarter, down
from 8.6 million a year ago. Phone revenue declines will only "steepen"
during the current quarter, chief financial officer Amy Hood warned
during a conference call. That's dragged down Microsoft's results as a
company, too. As the company's mobile device strategy continues to
disintegrate, Microsoft may feel compelled to push harder on Windows 10
adoption and paid services to prove it can survive without a viable
smartphone. CEO Satya Nadella's strategy is simple enough: grow
Microsoft's revenues by convincing customers to adopt its paid
subscription services."
https://news.slashdot.org/story/16/04/23/0323223/windows-phone-free-fall-may-force-microsoft-to-push-harder-on-windows-10
They've completely lost the mobile market. They could fork Android and
use that coupled with their own software. They have a search engine, mail,
maps, etc. It could be done. I wouldn't be surprised at all, honestly.
--
Marek Novotny
https://github.com/marek-novotny
Melzzzzz
2016-04-24 04:58:31 UTC
On Sat, 23 Apr 2016 21:52:18 -0700
Post by Marek Novotny
Post by Melzzzzz
[...]
Problem is that they are loosing revenues real fast. PC sales are not
that great and users are sticking to old versions of Windows. They need
to find strategy to gain cash real fast.
Marek Novotny
2016-04-24 05:32:32 UTC
Post by Marek Novotny
Post by Melzzzzz
[...]
Actually they have all the time in the world. The group Azure belongs
to, which I think it is coupled with server, is a $10 bn business.
Office is still a cash cow. Windows is indeed thinning. Games are doing
modestly. But they still earn at least $2 bn per quarter in profits.
They just reported a few days ago actually. Here we go, they earned $3.8
bn for the quarter. And they have close to $100 bn in cash and short
term. They are doing just fine. Revenue was slightly over $20 bn. That's
40x the revenue of Red Hat just to give perspective. Not a jab on Red
Hat. You get the idea. They can afford to lose $7 bn on Nokia.

The problem the way I see it is that their new hardware business is
maybe on track to do $4 bn annually. While that's a lot of money Apple
is actually much larger for just the computer sales and very much larger
if you count iPads and the Mac combined. Which tells me Microsoft is the
underdog here. Mobile is completely lost. Laptops and surface are
plagued with problem after problem. Just listen to Paul Thurrot and Mary
Joe Folie. The surface book, while a good idea is pricey and full of
bugs.

Microsoft's problem in a nut shell is they just don't make quality
products. And they don't seem to care about that. They just ship broken
shit and figure they can fix it later. But I have to imagine that's not
a good long-term play. I mean if I pay $2,500 for a Surface Book and the
fucker is plagued with software problems, I'm not exactly going to be
loyal. In order to grow you need loyalty. And I just don't see Microsoft
as a company that can adapt to that kind of business. It's just not in
their nature.

Their new CEO understands that Microsoft is actually a 14% player in the
overall market of all devices. But I think their revue stream is always
going to be from software and services, not hardware. Frankly, I'm kind
of amazed they do well with software. Windows truly is a piece of shit.
Office is well liked, but I don't know why people feel compelled to
upgrade it all the time. There is no benefit for me at all. And the
company I work for, I promise you if I asked anyone there if they are
using a new feature would say no. They are using Word and Excel exactly
as they always have. They upgrade for the sake of upgrading. They have
no idea at all why they do it. I wonder how long that will continue. But
I've been saying that same thing seriously for more than 10 years. Unless
there is some trigger event that causes a mass exodus, that's not ending
any time soon.

I think one of the real long term dangers is that you have Apple selling
iPads and iPhones for quite some time now. You have Google's Chromebooks
flying off the shelves. That presents a long term problem for Microsoft.
What it means is that over time those users aren't exposed to Microsoft.
They don't buy Windows, they don't upgrade Windows, they don't use
Office and they become used to services from Amazon, Google and Apple.
So when they finally buy a computer, it's likely a Mac or a Chromebook
or not a computer at all. Maybe it's just an Android or iOS phone or
tablet.

As the older generation ages and drops off, the younger generation
doesn't replace the prior and thus Microsoft starts to gradually lose
customers. It's very important to be strong in education and in business
because it becomes a leading cycle of never ending business. But I'd
opine that Apple and Google have broken that cycle.

Now with so much cash on hand and so much still coming in, they can
reinvent themselves. But I think that's going to be much more difficult.
They have no monopoly on the internet to help them. No one likes their
browser. No one cares about Bing. They got no mobile devices. They are
just not setup for the long term.

I look at someone like Elon Musk and I see he's the future. Here's a guy
that starts from scratch to build a car company. A space company and a
solar company. I feel much the same way about Jeff Bezos. Amazon's AWS
came out of no where and it does so well. Who'd have thought a book
seller would turn into a seller of everything, and startup a space
company, Blue Origin, and an Internet company, AWS? Elon and Jeff are
next wave. Google is likely part of it too. Apple, I'm slightly worried
about because so much of their revue stems from just iOS. If that ever
gets old in the eyes of their customers it will hit them extremely hard.
iPad sales are half what they used to be. Phone sales may have peaked.
So unless they start investing in other ideas they too will have a
problem.

All of this seems very normal to me. Out with the old and in with the
new. Both Apple and Microsoft have a lot of time to fix their respective
issues though.
Chris Ahlstrom
2016-04-24 11:59:27 UTC
Post by Marek Novotny
Microsoft's problem in a nut shell is they just don't make quality
products. And they don't seem to care about that. They just ship broken
shit and figure they can fix it later. But I have to imagine that's not
a good long-term play.
It was when they could force others out of the market via per-processor
deals and other methods protected by non-disclosure agreements. Once
those methods were finally aired and somewhat corrected, it was wayyyyy
too late for the competition.
Chicken Little was right.
Fabian Russell
2016-04-24 14:27:39 UTC
Post by Marek Novotny
but I don't know why people feel compelled to
upgrade it all the time. There is no benefit for me at all. And the
company I work for, I promise you if I asked anyone there if they are
using a new feature would say no. They are using Word and Excel exactly
as they always have. They upgrade for the sake of upgrading. They have
no idea at all why they do it.
Ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha!

You have accurately described vast hordes of idiots that compose
the Microsoft market. Like stupefied sheep, they will open their
wallets each time Microsoft commands.

Microsoft's business model is essentially that of stealing candy
from babies.

But now that some real competition, in the form of alternative
gadgets and appliances, has come into being, those stupefied hordes
are getting harder to corral and control.

But, being immune from the wishy-washy market forces, GNU/Linux and FOSS
will continue to produce true quality software products that appeal to
truly intelligent and knowledgeable people.

There is no comparison. Microsoft is a cheap toy piano in a flashy
box. GNU/Linux is a concert grand in a plain wooden crate.
Marek Novotny
2016-04-24 15:13:46 UTC
Post by Fabian Russell
Post by Marek Novotny
[...]
Makes me wonder... How many of these Windows lovers would stick Windows
on line, give me the IP address and stick their social security number in
a text file on the server. Would they trust Windows NT to keep it safe?
I sure wouldn't.
Fabian Russell
2016-04-24 16:16:34 UTC
Post by Marek Novotny
Makes me wonder... How many of these Windows lovers would stick Windows
on line, give me the IP address and stick their social security number in
a text file on the server. Would they trust Windows NT to keep it safe?
I sure wouldn't.
Never in my entire life have I had any problem with malware or viruses.
NEVER. In fact, the whole malware issue has always seemed to me like
something made up. Based on my experiences, it just could not be real.

Even my MS Windows boxen, having been configured and tuned to my specs,
were always totally immune.

But during a time at my employment when I had nothing to do, I decided
to surf the web for a while with the company's install of Windows 10.
Within minutes I somehow acquired a so-called PUP, or probably unwanted
program. What the fuck? How easy is this shit with Microsoft?

A Google search led to a removal method and after 15 minutes of
house cleaning and, of course, the stupid mandatory reboots, I was
rid of the thing.

But my Lord! How easy it is with Microshit Windows!

On my Linux it would NEVER have occurred. NEVER.
Marek Novotny
2016-04-24 16:59:01 UTC
Post by Fabian Russell
Post by Marek Novotny
[...]
I'm a little new here so you wouldn't know this about me unless you read
me from elsewhere. But Linux and me are something of an accident. I was
actually actively teaching myself the latest NT from an admin point of
view and C# from a dev point of view. I was also interested in learning
PowerShell. I built a very nice box for this purpose.

I got very interested in viruses and read long white papers about
StuxNet. I read all of the Mark Russinovich. I read @war, Spam Nation,
Countdown to Zero day, Dark Market, Thinking about Cyber Security,
America the Vulnerable, We Are Anonymous and tons of fiction about the
possible future from AI and so on. For a good while I was obsessed with
this stuff.

I read Kevin Mitnick's books, Books about worms, the digital kind of
course. I read true stories about tracking down the DDOS attackers and
protecting against such attacks. Conficker was a very interesting bug.
StuxNet is pretty incredible. I walked away thinking Christ, Windows is
just this massive Zero day clown show. You wouldn't know if you were
infected at all because in order to know someone has to first see it and
then write a detection script for it. So what we see are massive amounts
of infection, and then the anti-virus companies "discover" it and write
a script to detect it.

If you start to pay attention to what's really going on out there you'll
find that virtually every week there is another mass bug. They discover
these on and on going basis. It is never ending. They are always many
steps ahead of Microsoft. There is a war going on out there. And Windows
users are blindly walking in the jungle not realizing that there in the
middle of it.

You think ESET is protecting you? Kind of, but not totally. It can't.
None of them can. Someone has to get infected first. It's essentially a
lottery. Some dope in your company might open the wrong email, become
compromised and compromise your internal network right past that state
of the art firewall you carefully installed and manage.

Where I work for the longest time I kept telling the owner that his
tech, I am not the tech, at the company has nothing as the admin
password to their NT server. This has finally been resolved, seriously
after years of me complaining. If you wanted into that server, just tap
enter at the prompt and you were in.

Every single password in the company was the name of the company. And
this moron shared every workstation to everyone. So basically a simple
pineapple that got you in via the Wifi gave you EVERYTHING. And guessing
the Wifi password. Well, let's just say I'll give you 3 guesses, but the
first one you guess will be correct. He's that stupid. And the owner is
that careless.

Now, what do you think this owners home is like? I don't know but I can
guess. And this is the case with tons and tons of people. I had to knock
on my neighbors door and explain to him that I can see his Mac. I can
see the photos on his computer. And I wasn't even trying. His Wifi was
not protected and his laptop just shows right up in the share tree.
Click on it, and you see folders. Open them and you see what's inside
them. He had no idea. None.

Security isn't an add on. It should be part of the architecture from the
start.

Originally when I got interested in viruses I wanted to explore them
using Linux, not Windows, for obvious reasons. But instead I just got
very interested in Linux itself and ended up making a course correction.

Read a little about these viruses. I have to say they are getting quite
impressive. I honestly think it is hopeless for Microsoft. They truly
ought to just drop NT and move to a Linux kernel and UNIX userland. They
can always port Office to this new OS. It is truly time to stop trying
to empty the water out of the sinking ship. It is so full of holes that
it will never be rescued. It is already at nightmare proportions which
have created an entire industry in which the user must constantly
subscribe to ESET, AVAST or other such software. And even so they may
find themselves pwned anyway. Might be their own fault, might be their
admins fault, who knows.
chrisv
2016-04-25 17:08:30 UTC
Post by Marek Novotny
Microsoft's problem in a nut shell is they just don't make quality
products. And they don't seem to care about that. They just ship broken
shit and figure they can fix it later.
I don't think that they are worse than are most companies, in those
regards. Some of their products have been quite good, others quite
mediocre. They've released a few real stinkers as well. But none of
this is unusual, for any company.

What is unusual is their momentum on the desktop allows them to retain
their dominance of the desktop market (and the resultant
unusually-high profit margins), despite them being only an average
performer, in regards to product quality and design.

If the market was not FUBAR, they would have a viable mainstream
competitor (Apple is a high-end niche competitor, Linux is invisible
to the average consumer), and nothing like the market share that they
have.
--
"Windows is sold and not all that cheap if you actually purchase it
alone, and yet compared to Linux on the desktop that is given away, it
is a raging success." - "Lloyd"
Marek Novotny
Chris Ahlstrom
2016-04-24 11:55:57 UTC
Post by Marek Novotny
Post by Melzzzzz
[...]
I guess that tells you what would happen to Windows if Microsoft had not
essentially cornered the market two decades ago on "desktop" systems.
You'll be called to a post requiring ability in handling groups of people.
Marek Novotny
2016-04-24 14:14:30 UTC
Post by Chris Ahlstrom
Post by Marek Novotny
They've completely lost the mobile market. They could fork Android and
use that coupled with their own software. They have a search engine, mail,
maps, etc. It could be done. I wouldn't be surprised at all, honestly.
I guess that tells you what would happen to Windows if Microsoft had not
essentially cornered the market two decades ago on "desktop" systems.
Yeah, I'd agree there. They got an early foothold and have leveraged it.
But Linux is too building a foothold. Hence why Microsoft now publishes
Linux software. If you can't beat em, join em.
chrisv
2016-04-25 13:31:28 UTC
Post by Chris Ahlstrom
Post by Marek Novotny
They've completely lost the mobile market. They could fork Android and
use that coupled with their own software. They have a search engine, mail,
maps, etc. It could be done. I wouldn't be surprised at all, honestly.
I thought they had already done that, for one of the Nokia phones?
Post by Chris Ahlstrom
I guess that tells you what would happen to Windows if Microsoft had not
essentially cornered the market two decades ago on "desktop" systems.
It's just so hard to come from behind, in these app-driven markets...
--
"Your 'explanations' are just excuses. Both Android and ChromeOS have
found markets. Linux on the desktop hasn't." - Lying Lloyd Parsons
Lloyd Parsons
2016-04-25 14:15:55 UTC
Post by chrisv
Post by Chris Ahlstrom
I guess that tells you what would happen to Windows if Microsoft had not
essentially cornered the market two decades ago on "desktop" systems.
It's just so hard to come from behind, in these app-driven markets...
Amen to that!! I had a Windows phone for awhile and it really is nice, I
think in many ways nicer than Android and iOS. But they dawdled getting
into the game and are now paying the price.
Lloyd
Marek Novotny
2016-04-25 18:04:09 UTC
Post by chrisv
Post by Chris Ahlstrom
Post by Marek Novotny
They've completely lost the mobile market. They could fork Android and
use that coupled with their own software. They have a search engine, mail,
maps, etc. It could be done. I wouldn't be surprised at all, honestly.
I thought they had already done that, for one of the Nokia phones?
No, but Nokia before the manufacturing buyout and limited usage rights
of Nokia's patents did make an Android phone. My own believe is that
might have much to do with the buyout.

Keep in mind Microsoft didn't actually buy Nokia. A lot of people think
they did. They bought the Nokia Manufacturing and use of the Nokia name
for a short length of time. And they basically bought use of Nokia's
patents for a short term time length. Nokia can come right back and make
phones again. And Nokia still owns their patents. No could see a Nokia
Android phone in the future. It's entirely up to Nokia.

Now Microsoft, didn't actually gain anything. They disbanded all of the
Nokia manufacturing they bought and took a $7 bn write down as a result.
It was a very fast large waste of money that much of the board was
against. Some even would say that's why Balmer is no longer CEO.
Post by chrisv
Post by Chris Ahlstrom
I guess that tells you what would happen to Windows if Microsoft had not
essentially cornered the market two decades ago on "desktop" systems.
It's just so hard to come from behind, in these app-driven markets...
It's pretty much impossible. You have to wait for the current state of
the art technology to become old and boring. Then release something that
leap frogs it 10x over. And then you have a shot. But as it is right
now, they are always behind and Apple / Android easily stays ahead of
them. And the longer this goes on the more irrelevant Microsoft's brand
becomes. Essentially they lose what is known as their Good Will or their
clout. Meaning even money often can't help them.

A great example of this is Apple. They have no clout in the enterprise.
If Apple made servers tomorrow, no one would buy them for the
enterprise. Apple lacks clout in that space. They 'd have to buy a
company and hold it as a subsidiary until they can build clout, or trust
over time. It can take a decade to do it right.
ronb
2016-04-25 18:20:34 UTC
Nokia can come right back and make phones again. And Nokia still owns
their patents. No could see a Nokia Android phone in the future. It's
entirely up to Nokia.
I would love to see something other than Android, iPhone or the Windows
Phone. I was hoping Sailfish would catch on. Meanwhile, I'm looking to
buy a Blackberry Q10 as my next smartphone. My needs are basically, email
and Evernote ... and some browsing (and maybe navigation). And I like the
Blackberry style mechanical keyboard. (I'm currently using a Motorola
Admiral, but it's getting long in the tooth and its version of Android --
2.3.5 -- is pretty much dead.)
Zero tolerance for WinDrones and iCultists
chrisv
2016-04-25 18:31:32 UTC
Post by ronb
(I'm currently using a Motorola
Admiral, but it's getting long in the tooth and its version of Android --
2.3.5 -- is pretty much dead.)
Is that the one with the rotary dial? 8)
"by giving in HTC has admited guilt." - Tom Shillton
chrisv
2016-04-25 20:11:57 UTC
Post by chrisv
Post by ronb
(I'm currently using a Motorola
Admiral, but it's getting long in the tooth and its version of Android --
2.3.5 -- is pretty much dead.)
Is that the one with the rotary dial? 8)
I shouldn't talk. I have a flip-phone.
--
"The Linux/OSS community is totally AGAINST freedom of choice - unless
it's the choices they deem acceptable." - Dumfsck, lying shamelessly
Marek Novotny
2016-04-25 20:37:19 UTC
Post by chrisv
Post by chrisv
Post by ronb
(I'm currently using a Motorola
Admiral, but it's getting long in the tooth and its version of Android --
2.3.5 -- is pretty much dead.)
Is that the one with the rotary dial? 8)
I shouldn't talk. I have a flip-phone.
In the 90s I had a Palm Pilot. And somewhere in there I had this
Blackberry PDA that was cellular. It wasn't a smart phone as those
didn't yet exist. It was almost there thought. At the time it had
bundled Yahoo services. So I could Yahoo IM while at a movie theater. It
was my alarm clock. It had email, calendar and so on. It was better than
a Pilot, expensive as you had to pay for the cellular access and overall
a great product.

When Palm married their PDA to the phone, ala the TREO I got one. Wow
was that heavy, thick, but at the time still pretty freak'n cool. Once
you finally get a smart phone they can be very addictive. The are just
so damn useful. Get stuck in a line at the post office, open your book
and continue where you left off. Waiting to get the hair cut, play a
quick round or two of Angry Birds. Watch a YouTube video, IM someone,
catch up on emails, whatever...

I use Uber and Lyft. Want to see traffic as you're on the road, open
Waze. Uber and Lyft are so much better than a taxi too. You can see
where the car as you're ordering it. You see how long it will take to
arrive and you see it all live on the GPS. Typically it takes 4 minutes
or less and I know exactly where the driver is and the driver knows
where I am. So no more addresses. You use a push pin and choose where
you want to be picked up from the GPS map.

For a lot of people this is all they will ever need. I use mine as my
sole camera. I forget how things change sometimes. I still have a
BlackBerry curve and year ago or so I re-activated it. When it came time
to booting it, I kid you not it took something like 5 minutes. Wow, I
thought. When I first got it that was acceptable. But by today's
standards it's a lifetime. It was so useful at the time, but these newer
device do so much more. And they are really fast.

I run with mine and it tracks the run with the GPS. It knows my heart
rate, the elevation, speed and so on. I don't have to keep a log book
it's all online. I keep the music updated and it keeps me motivated. If
something happens I can call for help. A few years ago I got my front
bike wheel stuck in a train track while doing about 30 km/ph and
flipped. I broke my helmet, clavicle and three ribs. I bent in the left
side of the handle bar as well. I was able to get help immediately.

I'm not a kid anymore, so it's not out of the question to have a heart
attack or something. Hell, I had that pulmonary embolism in November. So
shit happens. I used to stay in touch with my family while I was in the
hospital.

You should get one. You'll love it.
chrisv
2016-04-26 14:15:52 UTC
Post by Marek Novotny
I run with mine and it tracks the run with the GPS. It knows my heart
rate, the elevation, speed and so on. I don't have to keep a log book
it's all online. I keep the music updated and it keeps me motivated. If
something happens I can call for help. A few years ago I got my front
bike wheel stuck in a train track while doing about 30 km/ph and
flipped. I broke my helmet, clavicle and three ribs. I bent in the left
side of the handle bar as well. I was able to get help immediately.
Of course, any phone suffices for emergencies, and one could argue
that a tiny flip-phone is better for joggers or bikers.
Post by Marek Novotny
I'm not a kid anymore, so it's not out of the question to have a heart
attack or something. Hell, I had that pulmonary embolism in November. So
shit happens. I used to stay in touch with my family while I was in the
hospital.
You should get one. You'll love it.
I might. ATT has told me that my 2G phone will no longer work, come
December. Also, my old Canon Powershot S3 camera has stopped working,
and I need *some* sort of camera. It could be argued that it's the
ideal time for me to make the leap.

On the other hand, I really have no desire to carry a phone around,
all the time.

I would probably get the Nexus 6P. I like the idea of a "clean"
Android experience, and the superior update policy.
--
"My POINT was that the check at sytem start can land you in the shit."
- "True Linux advocate" Hadron Quark, FUD'ing Linux
Lloyd Parsons
2016-04-26 14:23:10 UTC
Post by Marek Novotny
I'm not a kid anymore, so it's not out of the question to have a heart
attack or something. Hell, I had that pulmonary embolism in November. So
shit happens. I used to stay in touch with my family while I was in the
hospital.
You should get one. You'll love it.
I might. ATT has told me that my 2G phone will no longer work, come
December. Also, my old Canon Powershot S3 camera has stopped working,
and I need *some* sort of camera. It could be argued that it's the
ideal time for me to make the leap.
On the other hand, I really have no desire to carry a phone around,
all the time.
I would probably get the Nexus 6P. I like the idea of a "clean"
Android experience, and the superior update policy.
I have the Nexus 5X and it is very sweet. Not loaded with the bloat ware
that seems so prevalent on most brands of Android phones. And
reports/reviews of the Nexus 6P are excellent. Both phones are very nice,
and being totally unlocked makes it even better.
Lloyd
Marek Novotny
2016-04-26 14:24:33 UTC
Post by Marek Novotny
I'm not a kid anymore, so it's not out of the question to have a heart
attack or something. Hell, I had that pulmonary embolism in November. So
shit happens. I used to stay in touch with my family while I was in the
hospital.
You should get one. You'll love it.
I might. ATT has told me that my 2G phone will no longer work, come
December. Also, my old Canon Powershot S3 camera has stopped working,
and I need *some* sort of camera. It could be argued that it's the
ideal time for me to make the leap.
On the other hand, I really have no desire to carry a phone around,
all the time.
I would probably get the Nexus 6P. I like the idea of a "clean"
Android experience, and the superior update policy.
That's a big phone. You might try something with a screen size around
4.3 or 4.7 inches first. I went from the iPhone 4S to the Galaxy Note,
the first edition. It was weirdly huge for me. Then I went back to
smaller phones. The Motorola mid tier phone, damn forgot what is was
called, was a 4.3" and one of the best Android phones I ever had.

I had a Nexus 5 which is also quite good. I agree though; If you're
going to go Android it should be a Nexus. Samsung's Edge phones are
pretty cool though. They do some good creative work. And since they are
so high profile they do tend to fix bugs. But sometimes their fixes make
things worse. The Nexus line is a good choice. Or maybe a One plus two.
They do excellent work as well.
chrisv
2016-04-26 18:44:21 UTC
Post by Marek Novotny
Post by chrisv
I would probably get the Nexus 6P. I like the idea of a "clean"
Android experience, and the superior update policy.
That's a big phone. You might try something with a screen size around
4.3 or 4.7 inches first
That's a good point. Thinking on that point, I like what I've read
about the iPhone SE, with it's 4" display. I'm feeling a bit better
about Apple, since their stand against the government.

I understand that with the new iPhones, one does not need to use a PC
with iTunes. Needing to use iTunes would be a deal-breaker, for me.
--
"So sorry, but Vista is a big sales and financial success for MS - and
will shortly finish wiping the floor with Linux and it's 392 free
distros." - DumFSck
Marek Novotny
2016-04-26 19:27:08 UTC
Post by chrisv
Post by Marek Novotny
Post by chrisv
I would probably get the Nexus 6P. I like the idea of a "clean"
Android experience, and the superior update policy.
That's a big phone. You might try something with a screen size around
4.3 or 4.7 inches first
That's a good point. Thinking on that point, I like what I've read
about the iPhone SE, with it's 4" display. I'm feeling a bit better
about Apple, since their stand against the government.
I understand that with the new iPhones, one does not need to use a PC
with iTunes. Needing to use iTunes would be a deal-breaker, for me.
I myself use an iPhone. This is my 5th one I believe. I had teh first
one, which was Edge. Then the 3G. Then I went HTC for 4G, then went
Windows Mobile with the Q, then back to the iPhone 4, then a 4s, then
lots of Androids, then the 6. So this is my fifth one. They are pretty
good, no need for iTunes at all. You can do everything you need to
manage it right on the phone itself.

And yeah, just cause it ain't Linux at the core doesn't mean jack shit.
I don't like Google selling my data and pitching ads to me all day.
Nothing at all wrong with getting an iPhone. Get what does the job for
you. You'll like it. It has all the apps you'll want. If you have a
problem its so high profile that Apple will take care of you. They don't
want to see pissed off people writing bad blogs about them.
Snit
2016-04-26 20:13:42 UTC
On 4/26/16, 12:27 PM, in article
Post by Marek Novotny
Post by chrisv
[...]
No doubt Apple makes high quality products and has tech service that is
second to none.
--
* OS X / Linux: What is a file? http://youtu.be/_dMbXGLW9PI
* Mint MATE Trash, Panel, Menu: http://youtu.be/C0y74FIf7uE
* OS / Word Processor Comparison: http://youtu.be/w6Qcl-w7s5c
ronb
2016-04-26 22:31:55 UTC
Post by Marek Novotny
And yeah, just cause it ain't Linux at the core doesn't mean jack shit.
I don't like Google selling my data and pitching ads to me all day.
Nothing at all wrong with getting an iPhone. Get what does the job for
you. You'll like it. It has all the apps you'll want. If you have a
problem its so high profile that Apple will take care of you. They don't
want to see pissed off people writing bad blogs about them.
I don't like Apple or even Google (anymore). I'm kind of surprised that I
find myself not caring one way or the other. My wife came to me and said
she was thinking -- maybe -- her next phone would be an iPhone. I just
said "that would be fine." She looked at me, "Seriously?" I even went
into an Apple store with her. She wasn't all that impressed 6 Plus. Still
kind of likes her Galaxy Note -- even uses the stylus (or whatever it's
called) on a regular basis. Since she carries her phone in her purse,
"too big" doesn't mean anything to her. But if she decides on an iPhone
for her next phone, that's fine with me.

I would still like to find something different. Blackberry, Sailfish,
Ubuntu (but not Windows) ... something else (so long as it runs
Evernote).
Zero tolerance for WinDrones and iCultists
chrisv
2016-04-27 12:59:43 UTC
Post by ronb
I don't like Apple or even Google (anymore). I'm kind of surprised that I
find myself not caring one way or the other.
There is no avoiding the evil businessman. They are *everywhere*.

As long as the market has something resembling a level playing field,
they tend to keep each other in check, while doing a reasonable job of
serving the interests of society.
Post by ronb
My wife came to me and said
she was thinking -- maybe -- her next phone would be an iPhone. I just
said "that would be fine." She looked at me, "Seriously?" I even went
into an Apple store with her. She wasn't all that impressed 6 Plus. Still
kind of likes her Galaxy Note -- even uses the stylus (or whatever it's
called) on a regular basis. Since she carries her phone in her purse,
"too big" doesn't mean anything to her.
Yeah, if I had a purse, it be "the bigger the better".

Where do guys keep their phones, anyway? I've never really paid
attention.
--
"JPG files can have EXIF data... what an amazingly controversial
claim!" - some thing, lying shamelessly (but no one can quote it
lying)
ronb
2016-04-27 23:47:53 UTC
Post by chrisv
Where do guys keep their phones, anyway? I've never really paid
attention.
Mine is small enough to fit in my pant's pocket. When I carried the Palm
Treo I had a Ripoff (brand) case that clipped on my belt.
Zero tolerance for WinDrones and iCultists
owl
2016-04-28 00:09:12 UTC
Post by chrisv
Post by ronb
kind of likes her Galaxy Note -- even uses the stylus (or whatever it's
called) on a regular basis. Since she carries her phone in her purse,
"too big" doesn't mean anything to her.
Yeah, if I had a purse, it be "the bigger the better".
Y'all not carrying those anymore?
I keep mine on the hook usually. Where do you girls keep yours?
Chris Ahlstrom
2016-04-27 00:29:12 UTC
Post by Marek Novotny
Post by chrisv
Post by Marek Novotny
Post by chrisv
[...]
Never seen the need for an iPhone, myself. To some extent, it is just a
lead-in to iTunes, like Android is a lead in to targeted advertising.
A lot of people use the iPhone, so there's some pressure to toe the line
("you need an iPhone to Facetime with so-and-so").

I like being able to choose the hardware vendor. My first was the
Droid Razr Maxx, which I liked a *lot*, now I have a Samsung S5, which is
even better. My next might be a Nexus, we shall see.

I laugh when I see people with iPhones clad in thick plastic covers that
turn their slim little phone into an ugly-looking brick. What would
Steve Jobs say? Why can't phone vendors build durability into their units?
Another good night not to sleep in a eucalyptus tree.
Marek Novotny
2016-04-27 00:36:28 UTC
Post by Chris Ahlstrom
Post by Marek Novotny
Post by chrisv
Post by Marek Novotny
Post by chrisv
[...]
People do that with their Android's too. But yeah it is kind of funny.
have a very slim soft gel wrap that makes my phone less slippery.
Otherwise it tends to slip out of my pocket.
Snit
2016-04-25 20:48:24 UTC
Post by chrisv
Post by chrisv
Post by ronb
(I'm currently using a Motorola
Admiral, but it's getting long in the tooth and its version of Android --
2.3.5 -- is pretty much dead.)
Is that the one with the rotary dial? 8)
I shouldn't talk. I have a flip-phone.
I did... but my 6-7 year old flip phone had its hinge crack. Still worked
but decided I had to upgrade... now can join the modern world and text. Sort
of. The touch screen is so bad it makes it a pain. :)
DFS
2016-04-25 20:50:21 UTC
On 4/25/2016 4:11 PM, shit("Shit I can't believe how much I tell shit
Post by chrisv
"The Linux/OSS community is totally AGAINST freedom of choice - unless
it's the choices they deem acceptable." - Dumfsck, lying shamelessly
Only YOU are the lying pile of shit, turd:

Fraud 7: "Appile should be actively barred from all schools"
http://groups.google.com/group/comp.sys.mac.advocacy/msg/7cbc23034609637f?hl=en&dmode=source

Marti: "Non-Free proprietary applications should not be included in
*any* GNU/Linux distribution by default."
http://groups.google.com/group/comp.os.linux.advocacy/msg/b50fa67489ff74a9?hl=en&dmode=source

"The government has had a history of desiring more than one source for
their systems and Windows shouldn't be a choice."
#22 at http://forum.prisonplanet.com/index.php?topic=43629.0

mlw: "It has to be Linux or BSD....or something, just get rid of
Windows. It doesn't matter, Mac, BSD, or Linux, geez, ANYTHING but
Windows!"
http://groups.google.com/group/comp.os.linux.advocacy/msg/bd7ba1c950da917b?hl=en&dmode=source

"windows shouldn't be a choice for anyone mang"
http://www.irclog.org/freenode/suse/2006-06-19/page4.html

"I'm a Unix/Linux guy... MS Windows should not be allowed in a business
environment."
http://www.thegearpage.net/board//showpost.php?p=15072408&postcount=8

"Microsoft should not be allowed to bake Windows into silicon and CMOS
(or equivalents)."
http://techrights.org/2013/03/12/nice-work-if-you-can-get-it/

"Linux should not support non-free modules"
http://groups.google.com/group/gnu.misc.discuss/msg/e7c64b946b80ded4?hl=en&dmode=source

"Windows shouldn't be allowed on a network."
Chris Ahlstrom May 2015
<mjv3s0$r8i$***@dont-email.me>

Was I not clear before? Let's repeat it:

ronb
2016-04-25 22:47:27 UTC
Post by chrisv
Post by chrisv
(I'm currently using a Motorola Admiral, but it's getting long in the
tooth and its version of Android --
2.3.5 -- is pretty much dead.)
Is that the one with the rotary dial? 8)
I shouldn't talk. I have a flip-phone.
I like flip phones. More to the point when wanting to make a call --
which is still the main purpose for phones ... in my outdated opinion.
Zero tolerance for WinDrones and iCultists
Marek Novotny
2016-04-25 22:59:01 UTC
Post by ronb
Post by chrisv
Post by chrisv
(I'm currently using a Motorola Admiral, but it's getting long in the
tooth and its version of Android --
2.3.5 -- is pretty much dead.)
Is that the one with the rotary dial? 8)
I shouldn't talk. I have a flip-phone.
I like flip phones. More to the point when wanting to make a call --
which is still the main purpose for phones ... in my outdated opinion.
That might just become outdated. I have to admit, if I add up all the
time I spend using a smart phone and a talking device it's actually a
teeny tiny part of my use of it. It's really a personal computer, not at
all unlike those I read about in SciFi books.

Can't remember the book off the top of my head, but I remember the
author describing what he called a PalmComp, which was a computer that
everyone had and you held it in the palm of your hand. And by all
descriptions of its use in the novel it is very much been realized by
our current smart phones.

The PalmComp was even the defacto communications device, like a smart
phone.
ronb
2016-04-25 23:20:44 UTC
Post by Marek Novotny
Post by ronb
Post by chrisv
Post by chrisv
[...]
I know. My kids almost never call their friends. It's almost all texting
or online chatting -- and I admit I text quite a bit now (but that can be
done a flip phone).

My wife, on the other hand, runs a big part of her business on her Galaxy
Note. Facebook, texting, email -- always turns on navigation when goes to
a client's house, etc. For her it's an indispensable tool. So I know I'm
in the minority. And, to be honest, I probably do use the smartphone more
than I think. I play pinochle on it, or read on the Kindle app when I
have to wait somewhere ... and I do this fairly often.
Zero tolerance for WinDrones and iCultists
ronb
2016-04-25 23:21:58 UTC
Post by ronb
I know. My kids almost never call their friends. It's almost all texting
or online chatting
Not to mention web browsing, or watching something on Youtube, or
streaming music.
Zero tolerance for WinDrones and iCultists
chrisv
2016-04-26 12:16:32 UTC
Post by ronb
I know. My kids almost never call their friends. It's almost all texting
or online chatting -- and I admit I text quite a bit now (but that can be
done a flip phone).
Yeah, that's what I use my old flip-phone for, mostly. It's the
preferred method to communicate with my daughter (who has a Galaxy
S6). Tapping three times to get a 'c' isn't the most efficient, but
it gets the job done.

Funny world, we live in.
--
"Thus, we once again see what is so wrong with Linux: the Community's
intolerant bigots and bullies who think that YELLING LOUDER is the way
to attract customers." - lying asshole "-hh"
ronb
2016-04-26 22:40:35 UTC
Post by chrisv
Post by ronb
I know. My kids almost never call their friends. It's almost all texting
or online chatting -- and I admit I text quite a bit now (but that can
be done a flip phone).
Yeah, that's what I use my old flip-phone for, mostly. It's the
preferred method to communicate with my daughter (who has a Galaxy S6).
Tapping three times to get a 'c' isn't the most efficient, but it gets
the job done.
Funny world, we live in.
You don't use something like T9word? (I thought this was built in to most
flip phones.) It basically anticipates what you're going to type. It
almost always gets the words right first shot. For example, if I want to
type "how" I just hit the numbers 4-6-9 and unscrambles them with
suggestions ("how" is the first) and then I just hit the number sign "#"
for a space and type in the next word. It's almost as fast as using a
QWERTY keyboard. So texting on a flip phone would not be an issue --
although I do use text to speech on the Admiral when I'm by myself.
Amazingly accurate now.)
Zero tolerance for WinDrones and iCultists
Marek Novotny
2016-04-26 23:54:47 UTC
Post by ronb
Post by chrisv
Post by ronb
[...]
The Blackberry Storm II had a visual keyboard which used two letters per
square rather than three and did that. As a result the keys were large
and typing was fast. It also had the haptic feedback as well. Best damn
visual keyboard I ever used.
chrisv
2016-04-27 12:00:23 UTC
Post by ronb
Post by chrisv
Post by ronb
[...]
Sounds slick, but my phone is like 8 years old. AFAIK, it doesn't
support such things. I never even texted with it until a few years
ago. I texted my daughter and she responded "Wow! How did you do
that?", amazed that my old LG could even do texting.
--
"That UEFI bug is ONLY triggered by Linux slopware." - DumFSck,
lying shamelessly
William Poaster
2016-04-27 12:17:18 UTC
chrisv wrote:

"That UEFI bug is ONLY triggered by Linux slopware." - DumFSck,
lying shamelessly

Of course he was lying, it's what the trolling fuckwit does.

Specifically, it now looks like Windows can “brick” some Samsung
machines as well, suggesting that it's not a Linux-specific bug after
all.
“I bricked a Samsung laptop today,” wrote Linux developer Matthew
Garrett, who is also known for uncovering the Windows 8 “Secure Boot”
problem, in a new blog post on Friday. “Unlike most of the reported
cases of Samsung laptops refusing to boot, I never booted Linux on
it—all experimentation was performed under Windows.”
http://www.pcworld.com/article/2027819/not-just-linux-windows-can-brick-samsung-laptops-too.html

http://www.bit-tech.net/news/bits/2013/02/11/linux-samsung-deaths-2/1
--
openSUSE 13.2 64-bit
KDE 4.14.9

This message is virus free, as absolutely
NO Micro$oft products were used in its preparation.

"If you do want to clean your computer of malware, the first software to
delete is Windows."
http://www.gnu.org/proprietary/malware-microsoft.en.html
DFS
2016-04-27 14:28:09 UTC
Post by chrisv
"That UEFI bug is ONLY triggered by Linux slopware." - DumFSck,
lying shamelessly
Of course he was lying, it's what the trolling fuckwit does.
Specifically, it now looks like Windows can “brick” some Samsung
machines as well, suggesting that it's not a Linux-specific bug after
all.
turd and Dumb Willie are lying sacks of shit.

That UEFI bug is ONLY triggered by booting Linux slopware.

Since booting Windows was 100% safe and the Linux "community" can't
stand to see their untrustworthy hobbyware revealed as shit to the
world, this pathetic "developer" Matthew Garrett had to sit down and
actually write - then publish - a malicious program to trigger the bug
under Windows.

But no matter how hard he tried, the loser couldn't make it happen just
by booting Windows. You needed Linux for that: boot the crapware OS and
voila - your hardware is ruined.

MS is doomed.
Peter Köhlmann
2016-04-27 16:18:55 UTC
Post by DFS
Post by chrisv
"That UEFI bug is ONLY triggered by Linux slopware." - DumFSck,
lying shamelessly
Of course he was lying, it's what the trolling fuckwit does.
Specifically, it now looks like Windows can “brick” some Samsung
machines as well, suggesting that it's not a Linux-specific bug after
all.
turd and Dumb Willie are lying sacks of shit.
That UEFI bug is ONLY triggered by booting Linux slopware.
Wrong. It has been shown that windows could under certain circumstances also
trigger that bug. And it was a UEFI bug, which was triggered by linux when
it *correctly* used UEFI. It wasn't a linux bug

You should at least stick to the truth and not lay blame on linux just
because you don't like it, You filthy piece of rotten scum
William Poaster
2016-04-27 16:34:04 UTC
Post by Peter Köhlmann
Post by DFS
Post by chrisv
"That UEFI bug is ONLY triggered by Linux slopware." - DumFSck,
lying shamelessly
Of course he was lying, it's what the trolling fuckwit does.
Specifically, it now looks like Windows can “brick” some Samsung
machines as well, suggesting that it's not a Linux-specific bug after
all.
turd and Dumb Willie are lying sacks of shit.
That UEFI bug is ONLY triggered by booting Linux slopware.
Wrong. It has been shown that windows could under certain circumstances also
trigger that bug. And it was a UEFI bug, which was triggered by linux when
it *correctly* used UEFI. It wasn't a linux bug
You'll note too that the "lying sack of shit" DumbFor$ure left out the
URLs I provided which *showed* that windows could *also* trigger it.
Post by Peter Köhlmann
You should at least stick to the truth and not lay blame on linux just
because you don't like it, You filthy piece of rotten scum
That's an insult to *real* filthy pieces of rotten scum, IMO.

DFS
2016-04-27 17:17:35 UTC
Post by Peter Köhlmann
Post by DFS
Post by chrisv
"That UEFI bug is ONLY triggered by Linux slopware." - DumFSck,
lying shamelessly
Of course he was lying, it's what the trolling fuckwit does.
Specifically, it now looks like Windows can “brick” some Samsung
machines as well, suggesting that it's not a Linux-specific bug after
all.
turd and Dumb Willie are lying sacks of shit.
That UEFI bug is ONLY triggered by booting Linux slopware.
Wrong. It has been shown that windows could under certain circumstances also
trigger that bug.
Only when a piece of crap (like Matthew Garrett) intentionally writes a
malicious program to trigger the bug. What kind of scum does that, anyway?

That bug was NEVER triggered by booting Windows. ONLY by booting Linux.
Post by Peter Köhlmann
And it was a UEFI bug, which was triggered by linux when
it *correctly* used UEFI. It wasn't a linux bug
I didn't say it was a Linux bug. What are you babbling about?
Post by Peter Köhlmann
You should at least stick to the truth
I told ONLY the truth, dumbkopf.
Post by Peter Köhlmann
and not lay blame on linux just because you don't like
it, You filthy piece of rotten scum
heh! It's not Linux's fault, eh? Whose, then? Cause it sure doesn't
happen when booting Windows.
Peter Köhlmann
2016-04-27 19:00:25 UTC
Post by DFS
Post by Peter Köhlmann
Post by Peter Köhlmann
And it was a UEFI bug, which was triggered by linux when
it *correctly* used UEFI. It wasn't a linux bug
I didn't say it was a Linux bug. What are you babbling about?
Quote:
That UEFI bug is ONLY triggered by booting Linux slopware

Implying that it was linux fault. It wasn't
DFS
It doesn't get triggered by booting Windows, so it IS Linux's fault.
Peter Köhlmann
2016-04-27 20:39:28 UTC
Post by DFS
Post by DFS
Post by DFS
Post by Peter Köhlmann
Post by Peter Köhlmann
And it was a UEFI bug, which was triggered by linux when
it *correctly* used UEFI. It wasn't a linux bug
I didn't say it was a Linux bug. What are you babbling about?
That UEFI bug is ONLY triggered by booting Linux slopware
Implying that it was linux fault. It wasn't
It doesn't get triggered by booting Windows, so it IS Linux's fault.
Quote:
I didn't say it was a Linux bug. What are you babbling about?

And now you claim again that it is linux fault

You are truly a Snit. A lying imbecile
DFS
2016-04-27 21:15:58 UTC
Post by DFS
Post by DFS
Post by DFS
Post by DFS
Post by Peter Köhlmann
Post by Peter Köhlmann
And it was a UEFI bug, which was triggered by linux when
it *correctly* used UEFI. It wasn't a linux bug
I didn't say it was a Linux bug. What are you babbling about?
That UEFI bug is ONLY triggered by booting Linux slopware
Implying that it was linux fault. It wasn't
It doesn't get triggered by booting Windows, so it IS Linux's fault.
I didn't say it was a Linux bug. What are you babbling about?
And now you claim again that it is linux fault
You are truly a Snit. A lying imbecile
Typical dumbkopf reading comprehension.

Linux bug? No
Linux at fault (for triggering UEFI bug)? Yes
Peter Köhlmann
2016-04-27 21:33:21 UTC
Post by DFS
Post by DFS
Post by DFS
Post by DFS
Post by DFS
Post by Peter Köhlmann
Post by Peter Köhlmann
And it was a UEFI bug, which was triggered by linux when
it *correctly* used UEFI. It wasn't a linux bug
I didn't say it was a Linux bug. What are you babbling about?
That UEFI bug is ONLY triggered by booting Linux slopware
Implying that it was linux fault. It wasn't
It doesn't get triggered by booting Windows, so it IS Linux's fault.
I didn't say it was a Linux bug. What are you babbling about?
And now you claim again that it is linux fault
You are truly a Snit. A lying imbecile
Typical dumbkopf reading comprehension.
Linux bug? No
Linux at fault (for triggering UEFI bug)? Yes
Wrong again. Linux used UEFI correctly. There were just a few machines with
a faulty UEFI which caused the bug. Linux could neither expect nor test for
that bug in advance

I run a UEFI machine with linux. It runs fine. No bug
Chris Ahlstrom
2016-04-27 22:56:01 UTC
Post by Peter Köhlmann
Post by DFS
Typical dumbkopf reading comprehension.
Linux bug? No
Linux at fault (for triggering UEFI bug)? Yes
Driver at fault for triggering bug in Takata airbag.
Post by Peter Köhlmann
Wrong again. Linux used UEFI correctly. There were just a few
machines with a faulty UEFI which caused the bug. Linux could neither
expect nor test for that bug in advance
I run a UEFI machine with linux. It runs fine. No bug
The main bug, here, is the one up <laughing> "DFS"'s ass.
--
FORTUNE PROVIDES QUESTIONS FOR THE GREAT ANSWERS: #15
A: The Royal Canadian Mounted Police.
Q: What was the greatest achievement in taxidermy?
DFS
2016-04-28 02:51:23 UTC
Post by Chris Ahlstrom
Post by DFS
Typical dumbkopf reading comprehension.
Linux bug? No
Linux at fault (for triggering UEFI bug)? Yes
Driver at fault for triggering bug in Takata airbag.
Driver W doesn't trigger bug in Takata airbag.
Driver L does trigger bug in Takata airbag.

Driver L at fault.
chrisv
2016-04-28 11:21:45 UTC
Post by Peter Köhlmann
Post by DFS
Post by DFS
Post by DFS
It doesn't get triggered by booting Windows, so it IS Linux's fault.
I didn't say it was a Linux bug. What are you babbling about?
And now you claim again that it is linux fault
You are truly a Snit. A lying imbecile
Typical dumbkopf reading comprehension.
Linux bug? No
Linux at fault (for triggering UEFI bug)? Yes
Jeezez. The "logic". And this dumb fsck claims to be a "programmer".
Post by Peter Köhlmann
Wrong again. Linux used UEFI correctly. There were just a few machines with
a faulty UEFI which caused the bug. Linux could neither expect nor test for
that bug in advance
I run a UEFI machine with linux. It runs fine. No bug
Another day, another episode of Dumfsck making a lying jackass of
himself.

It's a good thing that "Ezekiel" thinks that Dumfsck is a reasonable
person... (rolling eyes)
--
"You're such a moronic hypocrite." - DumFSck, because an advocate
felt that language appropriate for cola would be inappropriate for
their standard email signature at work.
William Poaster
2016-04-27 21:25:58 UTC
Post by DFS
Post by DFS
Post by DFS
Post by DFS
Post by Peter Köhlmann
Post by Peter Köhlmann
And it was a UEFI bug, which was triggered by linux when
it *correctly* used UEFI. It wasn't a linux bug
I didn't say it was a Linux bug. What are you babbling about?
That UEFI bug is ONLY triggered by booting Linux slopware
Implying that it was linux fault. It wasn't
It doesn't get triggered by booting Windows, so it IS Linux's fault.
I didn't say it was a Linux bug. What are you babbling about?
And now you claim again that it is linux fault
You are truly a Snit. A lying imbecile
Heh, heh. Tying DumbFor$ure up in knots!
Like shooting fish in a barrel.

Chris Ahlstrom
2016-04-27 22:48:35 UTC
Post by DFS
Post by DFS
It doesn't get triggered by booting Windows, so it IS Linux's fault.
I didn't say it was a Linux bug. What are you babbling about?
And now you claim again that it is linux fault
You are truly a Snit. A lying imbecile
He needs to hop on his DUIcycle and get outa town :-D
--
I must have a prodigious quantity of mind; it takes me as much as a
week sometimes to make it up.
-- Mark Twain, "The Innocents Abroad"
ronb
2016-04-27 23:49:21 UTC
Post by chrisv
Sounds slick, but my phone is like 8 years old. AFAIK, it doesn't
support such things. I never even texted with it until a few years ago.
I texted my daughter and she responded "Wow! How did you do that?",
amazed that my old LG could even do texting.
Eight years old is not much older, but probably just old enough not to
have the feature. Out of curiosity, what model is it?
Zero tolerance for WinDrones and iCultists
chrisv
2016-04-28 11:27:41 UTC
Post by ronb
Post by chrisv
Sounds slick, but my phone is like 8 years old. AFAIK, it doesn't
support such things. I never even texted with it until a few years ago.
I texted my daughter and she responded "Wow! How did you do that?",
amazed that my old LG could even do texting.
Eight years old is not much older, but probably just old enough not to
have the feature. Out of curiosity, what model is it?
LG C1300i

Cool! 8)
--
"Ah, so you think it is impossible to put someone else's email in a
Usenet post." - some thing, lying shamelessly (but no one can quote
it lying)
chrisv
2016-04-28 12:23:44 UTC
Post by ronb
Post by chrisv
Sounds slick, but my phone is like 8 years old. AFAIK, it doesn't
support such things. I never even texted with it until a few years ago.
I texted my daughter and she responded "Wow! How did you do that?",
amazed that my old LG could even do texting.
Eight years old is not much older, but probably just old enough not to
have the feature. Out of curiosity, what model is it?
Hey, I did some digging, and my phone does do the T9 thing! I had no
idea! The message is then all-caps, but still kind of cool...

I'm on the cutting edge, here, man! 8)
--
"For most people time has value. Few have the patience to sit around
for hours with something they are likely uncomfortable with (like a
someone *please* just *tell me* what I should use?")
ronb
2016-04-28 15:34:52 UTC
Post by chrisv
Post by ronb
Post by chrisv
Sounds slick, but my phone is like 8 years old. AFAIK, it doesn't
support such things. I never even texted with it until a few years ago.
I texted my daughter and she responded "Wow! How did you do that?",
amazed that my old LG could even do texting.
Eight years old is not much older, but probably just old enough not to
have the feature. Out of curiosity, what model is it?
Hey, I did some digging, and my phone does do the T9 thing! I had no
idea! The message is then all-caps, but still kind of cool...
I'm on the cutting edge, here, man! 8)
I guess you had to go up a couple years to get the newfangled upper and
lower cases in T9 mode. Those LG flip phones were rock solid.
Zero tolerance for WinDrones and iCultists
chrisv
2016-04-28 16:30:29 UTC
Post by ronb
Post by chrisv
Post by ronb
Eight years old is not much older, but probably just old enough not to
have the feature. Out of curiosity, what model is it?
Hey, I did some digging, and my phone does do the T9 thing! I had no
idea! The message is then all-caps, but still kind of cool...
I'm on the cutting edge, here, man! 8)
I guess you had to go up a couple years to get the newfangled upper and
lower cases in T9 mode. Those LG flip phones were rock solid.
Yeah, after doing the research this morning, I think 10 years is a
more accurate estimate of how long I've had mine. I did have to
replace the battery, once. Admittedly it is not in heavy use...
--
"Anyone who spends more than $10 on any crap that Samsung makes is a
fool." - trolling fsckwit "Ezekiel"
ronb
2016-04-28 18:17:48 UTC
Yeah, after doing the research this morning, I think 10 years is a more
accurate estimate of how long I've had mine. I did have to replace the
battery, once. Admittedly it is not in heavy use...
Yeah it looks like it came out in 2006. It's old enough that it still had
the custom battery molded into and used as part of the case. I think that
changed in phones a couple years newer than this one.
Zero tolerance for WinDrones and iCultists
Chris Ahlstrom
2016-04-25 21:14:30 UTC
Post by chrisv
Post by ronb
(I'm currently using a Motorola
Admiral, but it's getting long in the tooth and its version of Android --
2.3.5 -- is pretty much dead.)
Is that the one with the rotary dial? 8)
I really liked Palm's WebOS. I enjoyed my little Pixi phone. The Palm
repository had some nice apps. Too bad they fell under the incompetent
thrall of HP. Jackasses.
--
What would the "intelligent and insightful" poster chrisv know anyway? He
doesnt have an Android phone. Neither does Creepy Chris - he has some
-- "Hadron", <igq0fh$3st$***@news.eternal-september.org>
Marek Novotny
2016-04-25 21:22:21 UTC
Post by Chris Ahlstrom
Post by chrisv
Post by ronb
(I'm currently using a Motorola
Admiral, but it's getting long in the tooth and its version of Android --
2.3.5 -- is pretty much dead.)
Is that the one with the rotary dial? 8)
I really liked Palm's WebOS. I enjoyed my little Pixi phone. The Palm
repository had some nice apps. Too bad they fell under the incompetent
thrall of HP. Jackasses.
Yeah, they sure scared the shit out of Apple for a while. You need deep
pockets to stay in this game these days. Which is why we need a truly
open source alternative.
ronb
2016-04-25 23:03:13 UTC
Post by Marek Novotny
Post by Chris Ahlstrom
Post by chrisv
(I'm currently using a Motorola Admiral, but it's getting long in the
tooth and its version of Android --
2.3.5 -- is pretty much dead.)
Is that the one with the rotary dial? 8)
I really liked Palm's WebOS. I enjoyed my little Pixi phone. The Palm
repository had some nice apps. Too bad they fell under the incompetent
thrall of HP. Jackasses.
Yeah, they sure scared the shit out of Apple for a while. You need deep
pockets to stay in this game these days. Which is why we need a truly
open source alternative.
Problem with HP is that they didn't stick with anything for more than a
couple months. For a while they were going to have their PCs dual boot to
WebOS and Windows -- WebOS for quick email or calendar functions, or to
go online for a minute. But then management changed -- again -- and all
that forgotten. Incredibly incompetent leadership.

But I think what killed WebOS on phones was Verizon and it's Droid
promotion -- which came out about the same time as WebOS was trying to
get a foothold. Android wasn't going anywhere until that promotion (which
was basically their assault on Apple and AT&T's exclusive iPhone
agreement).
Zero tolerance for WinDrones and iCultists
Marek Novotny
2016-04-26 00:17:06 UTC
Post by ronb
Post by Marek Novotny
Post by Chris Ahlstrom
Post by chrisv
[...]
yeah, I remember that. They had a damn good ad too.

and just in case you're curious...

And just for fun...

ronb
2016-04-26 01:02:34 UTC
Post by Marek Novotny
yeah, I remember that. They had a damn good ad too.
http://youtu.be/o9fXYQjwR0w
http://youtu.be/e52TSXwj774
http://youtu.be/85DM-PrQ0tU
and just in case you're curious...
http://youtu.be/45HWIHQ-6ck
They had a lot of good ads -- never thought to look for the original song
in that second one. Thanks.
Zero tolerance for WinDrones and iCultists
Marek Novotny
2016-04-26 01:29:20 UTC
Post by ronb
Post by Marek Novotny
yeah, I remember that. They had a damn good ad too.
http://youtu.be/o9fXYQjwR0w
http://youtu.be/e52TSXwj774
http://youtu.be/85DM-PrQ0tU
and just in case you're curious...
http://youtu.be/45HWIHQ-6ck
They had a lot of good ads -- never thought to look for the original song
in that second one. Thanks.
forgot this one...

ronb
2016-04-25 22:57:38 UTC
Post by Chris Ahlstrom
Post by chrisv
(I'm currently using a Motorola Admiral, but it's getting long in the
tooth and its version of Android --
2.3.5 -- is pretty much dead.)
Is that the one with the rotary dial? 8)
I really liked Palm's WebOS. I enjoyed my little Pixi phone. The Palm
repository had some nice apps. Too bad they fell under the incompetent
thrall of HP. Jackasses.
Agreed. I had an HP tablet (can't remember it's name now, "touch"
someting, I think ... TouchPad). But as far as I was concerned the old
Palm OS (by whatever name they were calling it at the end) still had a
lot of life in it also. I've still got my old Palm Treo (activated on
RingPlus for free). Data doesn't work, but text and talk works (if you
can live with the latency). That Treo's main purpose in life now is for a
Par 72 golf game that I've played way too many times (wish they had made
some more courses). But I do turn on the phone and make a test call every
now and then.

WebOS still lives (sort of) in some smart TVs. HP WAS a great company.
Zero tolerance for WinDrones and iCultists
ronb
2016-04-25 22:41:15 UTC
Post by chrisv
(I'm currently using a Motorola Admiral, but it's getting long in the
tooth and its version of Android --
2.3.5 -- is pretty much dead.)
Is that the one with the rotary dial? 8)
Nah, it's a nice little military spec phone. I've got a Protech shell on
it and have dropped it a couple times without issue.

http://www.phonearena.com/phones/Motorola-Admiral_id5906

If it wasn't for Evernote and email I would probably just go back to a
flip phone, like the Kyocera DuraXT (no case needed).

http://www.phonearena.com/phones/Kyocera-DuraXT_id7147

(I actually own a few of these.)
Zero tolerance for WinDrones and iCultists
Marek Novotny
2016-04-25 18:51:23 UTC
Post by ronb
Nokia can come right back and make phones again. And Nokia still owns
their patents. No could see a Nokia Android phone in the future. It's
entirely up to Nokia.
I would love to see something other than Android, iPhone or the Windows
Phone. I was hoping Sailfish would catch on. Meanwhile, I'm looking to
buy a Blackberry Q10 as my next smartphone. My needs are basically, email
and Evernote ... and some browsing (and maybe navigation). And I like the
Blackberry style mechanical keyboard. (I'm currently using a Motorola
Admiral, but it's getting long in the tooth and its version of Android --
2.3.5 -- is pretty much dead.)
Yeah, I bought two Windows phones, hoping to promote choice. I don't
like that there are just two big players out there. Bought the first
Surface RT and the first Surface Pro as well. But Windows is missing
major apps that are needed. :(

I bought the Ubuntu phone, but honestly it's like Alpha level right now.
It needs a *lot* of work.

The Blackberry is a disappointment. I was seconds from buying one. While
I was waiting in que at AT&T I played with one for about a half hour.
Christ, what a piece of shit. And believe me, I'm a blackberry fan. I
owned the 8800, the curve, the tour, the Storm II but this new one is
slow as shit. It too feels half baked. They just can't keep up. It's a
shame but I wouldn't recommend it. Play with one for a half hour. Run
around the apps and switch between them. Write a note and so on. Get a
feel for it first.

Honestly I use an iPhone most of the time and I use my Ubuntu phone some
of the time. It is an app issue to me. I want waze, uber, lyft, audible,
banking apps, stock trading, drop box, mobile office, hbo, showtime,
netflix, starz, youtube and so on. If that stuff isn't there I'm out.
Android and iOS give you that. Everyone else is choking out. Of course
this all depends on your needs.
Snit
2016-04-25 20:10:40 UTC
On 4/25/16, 11:51 AM, in article
Post by Marek Novotny
Honestly I use an iPhone most of the time and I use my Ubuntu phone some
of the time. It is an app issue to me. I want waze, uber, lyft, audible,
banking apps, stock trading, drop box, mobile office, hbo, showtime,
netflix, starz, youtube and so on. If that stuff isn't there I'm out.
Android and iOS give you that. Everyone else is choking out. Of course
this all depends on your needs.
I recently finally moved past my ancient flip phone to a cheap Android
phone. Not impressed - but to be fair it is a very cheap phone and it uses
an older version of Android. In part it sucks because the touch screen is so
bad. I have an iPod Touch and it is MUCH better... but also about 10x the
cost.
--
* OS X / Linux: What is a file?

* Mint MATE Trash, Panel, Menu:

* Mint KDE working with folders:

* Mint KDE creating files:

* Mint KDE help:

* Mint KDE general navigation:

* Mint KDE bugs or Easter eggs?

* Easy on OS X / Hard on Linux:

* OS / Word Processor Comparison:

ronb
2016-04-25 23:07:10 UTC
Everyone else is choking out. Of course this all depends on your needs.
My smartphone needs are very limited. The Blackberry you tried, was it
the new Android one or one of the Blackberry OS 10 ones? The Priv is
huge, I want something small. Slow doesn't bother me, but "wonky" would.
Size and weight of the Q10 is pretty close to my Motorola Admiral, and
Blackberry keyboards were always pretty good.
Zero tolerance for WinDrones and iCultists
Marek Novotny
2016-04-25 23:57:57 UTC
Post by ronb
Everyone else is choking out. Of course this all depends on your needs.
My smartphone needs are very limited. The Blackberry you tried, was it
the new Android one or one of the Blackberry OS 10 ones? The Priv is
huge, I want something small. Slow doesn't bother me, but "wonky" would.
Size and weight of the Q10 is pretty close to my Motorola Admiral, and
Blackberry keyboards were always pretty good.
It wasn't the passport, it was the other and I believe both ran on QOS.
It was their software, not Android. Try it out. It felt weird. I was all
in line to buy the sucker and then changed my mind. Had they got to me
quicker I'd have bought it.

I actually asked if I could just buy it and then swap the SIM back and
forth and they were not interested in selling it that way. I could
likely buy one on ebay and give a shot again.

Problem for me now is that I do appreciate things like uber and lyft,
waze, etc. So I'd want all that stuff. At the time I didn't have that
mind set, but I sure do now.
-hh
2016-04-26 14:15:42 UTC
Post by Marek Novotny
Post by chrisv
Post by Chris Ahlstrom
[...]
And another example is Microsoft with the desktop: they got in the
market at the right time and developed the clout that gave them
command of the market - that's not cheating, as its the same basic
principle why Linux does well with Android today. And MS's clout
is why Apple's Mac is basically just nibbling around the edge of
the consumer desktop market (not Enterprise) as well as why Linux
desktop is nearly totally dead in the water all these years too:
Linux lacks clout for this market space.

-hh
7
2016-04-24 08:53:25 UTC
Post by Melzzzzz
"Microsoft sold a minuscule 2.3 million Lumia phones last quarter, down
from 8.6 million a year ago. Phone revenue declines will only "steepen"
during the current quarter, chief financial officer Amy Hood warned
during a conference call. That's dragged down Microsoft's results as a
company, too. As the company's mobile device strategy continues to
disintegrate, Microsoft may feel compelled to push harder on Windows 10
adoption and paid services to prove it can survive without a viable
smartphone. CEO Satya Nadella's strategy is simple enough: grow
Microsoft's revenues by convincing customers to adopt its paid
subscription services."
https://news.slashdot.org/story/16/04/23/0323223/windows-phone-free-fall-may-force-microsoft-to-push-harder-on-windows-10
Linux doesn't have any problems. About 2 billion smartphones and tablets
carry Linux based Android alone.

The interesting news is that trillions more left to be made with
Linux. All the clever money is invested in Linux projects.
The biggest space Linux can expand into is simplifying all that wonderful
Linux technology so that mere mortals can use ALL of its power
with a single click.

Already it is possible to install Linux on any decent PC and then move
the hard disk to any other decent PC with completely different
motherboard, graphics card, RAM, peripherals, and it all just works.

But its still a big issue to move your hard disk to an ARM PC.

And even bigger issue to move your desktop environment from PC to PC
with a single click.
Fabian Russell
2016-04-24 14:35:33 UTC
Post by 7
Already it is possible to install Linux on any decent PC and then move
the hard disk to any other decent PC with completely different
motherboard, graphics card, RAM, peripherals, and it all just works.
Not with my Linux.

My Linux is finely tuned and configured to fit my specific hardware
like a glove.

Although what you claim is certainly possible it represents
an example of Linux at its very worst.

One of the great strengths of Linux is that it is NOT a one-size-fits-all
operating system.

If you desire uniformity then make everything uniform. Don't
paper over real differences with cockamamy virtualization schemes.
7
2016-04-24 18:12:21 UTC
Post by Fabian Russell
Post by 7
Already it is possible to install Linux on any decent PC and then move
the hard disk to any other decent PC with completely different
motherboard, graphics card, RAM, peripherals, and it all just works.
Not with my Linux.
Ubuntu works out of the box and its one of the great attractions
of using Ubuntu to scale up projects,
spending least amount of time tinkering.
ronb
2016-04-25 03:14:49 UTC
Post by Fabian Russell
Post by 7
Already it is possible to install Linux on any decent PC and then move
the hard disk to any other decent PC with completely different
motherboard, graphics card, RAM, peripherals, and it all just works.
Not with my Linux.
Ubuntu works out of the box and its one of the great attractions of
using Ubuntu to scale up projects,
spending least amount of time tinkering.
Yep. Although I use the Linux Mint Mate "flavor."
Zero tolerance for WinDrones and iCultists
John Gohde
2016-04-24 11:52:54 UTC
Post by Melzzzzz
"Microsoft sold a minuscule 2.3 million Lumia phones last quarter, down
from 8.6 million a year ago. Phone revenue declines will only "steepen"
during the current quarter, chief financial officer Amy Hood warned
Linus says: Microsoft Haters are a Disease.

Would you like a quote, Linux tard?