Spoke with my Rep. about Win2k3 64-Bit.
Mike Cox
2005-04-25 17:41:50 UTC
I was on a conference call with my MS Rep, and he congratulated me for
quickly moving my company to Windows 2003 64 Bit Server. I made the
decision as soon as I heard 64 bit was released to manufacturing. My rep
informed me last weekend in a late night strategy session that Jim Allchin
informed him that 64 bit Windows would be available at DELL this Monday.

Today I placed an order with DELL to replace all my Windows 2003 servers
with Windows 2003 Server 64 Bit systems running Intel's EM64T processors.
My DELL rep comended my company for being one of the first to purchase the
systems since they were just released today! He informed me that the
Window XP 64-bit desktops will be available in June. I told my dell rep
that my beeper was at my side at all times and that I must be contacted
ASAP the moment the desktop version are available.

I told my boss that under no circumstances could we hold off on this
deployment, as Windows 2003 64 Bit Server would be an effective mid game
tool to punish our competition until the release of Longhorn. I informed
him that while our Linux competitors struggle with AMD 64 bit and USB Mass
storage devices locking up like Fort Knox, our servers will be 64-bitting
them right out of the market!

My boss praised me and told me in advance that my performace review would
be stellar once again. I told Scott, our MCSE, to cancel any plans for the
next few weeks (weekends too) as the deployment was the #1 company
priority.

Just a heads up to our Linux consultant competitors that your lunch is
about to be eaten.
Andrew Schulman
2005-04-25 18:01:05 UTC
Post by Mike Cox
I was on a conference call with my MS Rep, and he congratulated me for
quickly moving my company to Windows 2003 64 Bit Server. I made the
decision as soon as I heard 64 bit was released to manufacturing. My rep
informed me last weekend in a late night strategy session that Jim Allchin
informed him that 64 bit Windows would be available at DELL this Monday.
Wow, you must be very important to hear only second hand from such an
important person as Jim Allchin, and in an all-night strategy session
too. Please tell us more. It makes me feel more important too, hearing
only third hand from such an important person as Jim Allchin.

I'm sure that all of the readers of this list will be similarly awed.
To reply by email, replace "deadspam.com" by "alumni.utexas.net"
Captain Dondo
2005-04-25 18:26:27 UTC
Post by Andrew Schulman
Post by Mike Cox
I was on a conference call with my MS Rep, and he congratulated me for
quickly moving my company to Windows 2003 64 Bit Server. I made the
decision as soon as I heard 64 bit was released to manufacturing. My rep
informed me last weekend in a late night strategy session that Jim Allchin
informed him that 64 bit Windows would be available at DELL this Monday.
Wow, you must be very important to hear only second hand from such an
important person as Jim Allchin, and in an all-night strategy session
too. Please tell us more. It makes me feel more important too, hearing
only third hand from such an important person as Jim Allchin.
I'm sure that all of the readers of this list will be similarly awed.
Hmmm... Let's see.... In 2003, Longhorn was to be relased in 2004. In
2004, it was to be released in 2005... Now, in 2005, Microsoft has "set
the release date" for 2006...

Yup, I'm impressed, and quaking in my boots to boot....
Jean-David Beyer
2005-04-25 18:04:16 UTC
Post by Mike Cox
[...]
Let me congratulate you too. Let every participant in this newsgroup
congratulate you as well. Maybe we should praise your boss as well. You must
feel really good to be such a wise employee.
Post by Mike Cox
Just a heads up to our Linux consultant competitors that your lunch is
about to be eaten.
Oh! I an quaking in my boots.
^^-^^ 14:00:00 up 1 day, 7:37, 3 users, load average: 4.13, 4.22, 4.23
Mike Cox
2005-04-25 18:34:36 UTC
#1 company priority.
Let me congratulate you too. Let every participant in this newsgroup
congratulate you as well. Maybe we should praise your boss as well.
You must feel really good to be such a wise employee.
Well, that *is* why I am CIO at my company.
Post by Jean-David Beyer
Post by Mike Cox
Just a heads up to our Linux consultant competitors that your lunch
is about to be eaten.
Oh! I an quaking in my boots.
You should be. You are at a competitive disadvantage. From the client
Word documents that batter your Linux box into submission, to the 2.6
kernel x86_64 bugs that lock up your system you were hardly a competitor
before.

Using a legacy (UNIX) design to build an operating system was foolish.
Even more foolish were the unwashed masses that followed Linus. Most
commercial programs run on Windows, and not linux. The only halfway
decent UNIX OS now is Solaris 10, and that is mostly because of DTrace
and the up-to-date docs for the system. Any documentation for Linux is
hopelessly out of date and useless. The problem is even more compounded
because of the frequent changes in the kernel interface.

While my Genuine MS Excel Spreadsheets are caluculating the best strategy
to knock your company into the ground at 64-bit EM64T speeds on Windows
2003 64 Server, your TEX documents and openoffice spreadsheet barely
stay stable long enough to load.
John Bailo
2005-04-25 18:44:18 UTC
Post by Mike Cox
While my Genuine MS Excel Spreadsheets are caluculating the best strategy
to knock your company into the ground at 64-bit EM64T speeds on Windows
2003 64 Server, your TEX documents and openoffice spreadsheet barely
stay stable long enough to load.
Actually, you would be running your company into the ground by spending
lots of money on something that costs more and doesn't perform as well:

http://anandtech.com/linux/showdoc.aspx?i=2114&p=6
imo
2005-04-25 19:03:41 UTC
Post by John Bailo
Post by Mike Cox
While my Genuine MS Excel Spreadsheets are caluculating the best
strategy to knock your company into the ground at 64-bit EM64T speeds
on Windows 2003 64 Server, your TEX documents and openoffice
spreadsheet barely stay stable long enough to load.
Actually, you would be running your company into the ground by spending
http://anandtech.com/linux/showdoc.aspx?i=2114&p=6
Don't worry, his company has lotz of CASH. Otherwise he probably
wouldn't got the job.
Joe Flannigan
You run excel on your servers?
Amadeus W.M.
2005-04-25 21:13:21 UTC
Post by Joe Flannigan
[quoted text muted]
You run excel on your servers?
I noticed that too. It's one of those companies where they do
"programming" in excel. On a server.
Mike Cox
2005-04-26 00:21:18 UTC
Post by Amadeus W.M.
Post by Joe Flannigan
[quoted text muted]
You run excel on your servers?
I noticed that too. It's one of those companies where they do
"programming" in excel. On a server.
Actually, I run Windows 2003 Server on my desktop since I'm a power user
and Chief Information Officer (CIO). I will switch to one of the EM64T
Windows 20003 64-Bit Servers for my work desktop when the huge shipment
from DELL arrives. I enjoy playing with Active Directory and Forrests
during my lunch break too.

As for the Excel comment, of course on our company wide servers we run MS
SQL Server on Win2k3 Advanced Servers and I import the data in an OLAP
cube (via ODBC) to my desktop PC which runs Win2k3 Server. I then
analyze the hell out of the data and make my recommendations to the Boss.

I was the principle architect, and proponent of replacing our IBM
Mainframes in favor of Windows NT 4. This, when implimented, saved our
company millions. We got to lay off expensive Mainframe admins and
replace them with more capable (and much less expensive) MCSEs like
Scott. We got to dump expensive Mainframe software and replace it with
off the self solutions from leading software vendors.

This turned profitablity way up, and our time to market was way down.
Our new hires were effective in much shorter time periods to to the
familiarity of Windows.

Frankly, our company couldn't afford the fees that RHT is charging for
Enterprise Linux. We get free support from MS for 7 years. Much longer
than the 5 that RHT provides for its "enterprise" products.
Roger Blake
2005-04-26 02:22:01 UTC
Post by Mike Cox
Actually, I run Windows 2003 Server on my desktop since I'm a power user
^^^^^^^^^^
You misspelled "jackass."
--
Roger Blake
(Subtract 10 for email.)
Jean-David Beyer
2005-04-26 02:50:57 UTC
Post by Mike Cox
Post by Amadeus W.M.
Post by Joe Flannigan
[quoted text muted]
[...]
I am _so_ impressed. How does someone as important as you are have the time
to waste posting useless stuff on a Linux newsgroup? Should you not be
minding the store?
^^-^^ 22:45:00 up 1 day, 16:22, 3 users, load average: 4.61, 4.97, 4.77
Dr Balwinder S Dheeman
2005-04-26 09:19:36 UTC
Post by Mike Cox
Actually, I run Windows 2003 Server on my desktop since I'm a power user
and Chief Information Officer (CIO). I will switch to one of the EM64T
Windows 20003 64-Bit Servers for my work desktop when the huge shipment
from DELL arrives. I enjoy playing with Active Directory and Forrests
during my lunch break too.
Wow! BTW, what the said server has to do for a desktop user?
Post by Mike Cox
As for the Excel comment, of course on our company wide servers we run MS
SQL Server on Win2k3 Advanced Servers and I import the data in an OLAP
cube (via ODBC) to my desktop PC which runs Win2k3 Server. I then
analyze the hell out of the data and make my recommendations to the Boss.
Oops! that's why you need Win2k3 AS on a desktop. Incredible indeed.
Post by Mike Cox
I was the principle architect, and proponent of replacing our IBM
Mainframes in favor of Windows NT 4. This, when implimented, saved our
company millions. We got to lay off expensive Mainframe admins and
replace them with more capable (and much less expensive) MCSEs like
Scott. We got to dump expensive Mainframe software and replace it with
off the self solutions from leading software vendors.
Would you plz be kind enough to elaborate some more on what these solutions
are and who are the vendors; if you are that very satified with these.
Post by Mike Cox
This turned profitablity way up, and our time to market was way down.
Our new hires were effective in much shorter time periods to to the
familiarity of Windows.
Yeah! every jackass is aware of Windows, even if they don't know what
that W stands for in Windows and, or M stands for in Microsot.
Post by Mike Cox
Frankly, our company couldn't afford the fees that RHT is charging for
Enterprise Linux. We get free support from MS for 7 years. Much longer
than the 5 that RHT provides for its "enterprise" products.
That's realy nice of Microsoft!
--
Dr Balwinder Singh Dheeman Registered Linux User: #229709
CLLO (Chief Linux Learning Officer) Machines: #168573, 170593, 259192
More: http://anu.homelinux.net/~bsd/ Visit: http://counter.li.org/
Tim Smith
2005-04-27 13:57:36 UTC
Post by Amadeus W.M.
Post by Joe Flannigan
[quoted text muted]
You run excel on your servers?
I noticed that too. It's one of those companies where they do
"programming" in excel. On a server.
Well, using Windows is the computing equivalent of getting served, so
naturally he thinks he must be using a server.
--Tim Smith
Mike Mol
2005-04-25 20:37:11 UTC
#1 company priority.
Post by Mike Cox
Post by Jean-David Beyer
congratulate you as well. Maybe we should praise your boss as well.
You must feel really good to be such a wise employee.
Well, that *is* why I am CIO at my company.
[snip]

Is this the point where someone traces your posting and reports your
wasting time trolling with crossposts between c.o.l.a, c.o.l.m and
a.w-xp to your C.E.O.? (a.w-xp crosspost dropped in this message.)

Even Alan Conner frequently has something useful to say. You, on the
other hand...
Jean-David Beyer
#1 company priority.
Post by Mike Cox
Post by Jean-David Beyer
congratulate you as well. Maybe we should praise your boss as well.
You must feel really good to be such a wise employee.
Well, that *is* why I am CIO at my company.
[snip]
Is this the point where someone traces your posting and reports your
wasting time trolling with crossposts between c.o.l.a, c.o.l.m and a.w-xp
to your C.E.O.? (a.w-xp crosspost dropped in this message.)
It probably won't do any good: he is probably also the C.E.O., C.F.O., and
everything else at his company.
^^-^^ 22:50:00 up 1 day, 16:27, 3 users, load average: 4.33, 4.53, 4.63
Linønut
2005-04-25 20:58:57 UTC
Post by Mike Cox
While my Genuine MS Excel Spreadsheets are caluculating the best strategy
to knock your company into the ground at 64-bit EM64T speeds on Windows
2003 64 Server, your TEX documents and openoffice spreadsheet barely
stay stable long enough to load.
Talk is cheap, my friend.
When all you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail.
David
2005-04-26 22:57:58 UTC
#1 company priority.
Post by Jean-David Beyer
Post by Mike Cox
[...]
Can we say *Full Of SHIT*
Now will you just go away
Oh yeah and take your Windows 2003 64 Server with you!
karlheinz klingbeil
2005-04-28 16:22:19 UTC
Mike Cox schrub am Montag, 25. April 2005 20:34
Post by Mike Cox
Well, that *is* why I am CIO at my company.
Just curious, maybe i am your next customer, can you
give me a link to your company homepage ? I want to
check out if you are a competitor to me...
--
greetz Karlheinz Klingbeil (lunqual)
http://www.lunqual.de oder http:www.lunqual.net
Joe
2005-04-25 18:42:04 UTC
Post by Mike Cox
I was on a conference call with my MS Rep, and he congratulated me for
snip...
Post by Mike Cox
Just a heads up to our Linux consultant competitors that your lunch is
about to be eaten.
So is Microsoft really funding this rubbish? I find it difficult to
believe they'd spend money on anything so totally worthless, but what's
the alternative? Nobody would produce this kind of thing by themselves.
Life's too short.
Joe Flannigan
2005-04-25 18:46:29 UTC
Post by Mike Cox
[...]
hehe

Nice tongue in cheek. No actual IT manager would be so blindingly stupid
as to replace perfectly good kit with an OS which hasn't even undergone
testing at the company!

It was very good, just a tiny bit too unbelievable I'm afraid.
imo
#1 company priority.
Just a heads up to our Linux consultant competitors that your lunch is
about to be eaten.
hehe
Nice tongue in cheek. No actual IT manager would be so blindingly stupid
as to replace perfectly good kit with an OS which hasn't even undergone
testing at the company!
It was very good, just a tiny bit too unbelievable I'm afraid.
He must be working with the comapny has lots of cash investors just
pouring in. Otherwise he wouldn't has a Job.

He is my past 5 years ago. :)
Pugilis T. Master
#1 company priority. Just a heads up to our Linux consultant
competitors that your lunch is about to be eaten.
hehe
Nice tongue in cheek. No actual IT manager would be so blindingly
stupid as to replace perfectly good kit with an OS which hasn't even
undergone testing at the company!
It was very good, just a tiny bit too unbelievable I'm afraid.
He must be working with the comapny has lots of cash investors just
pouring in. Otherwise he wouldn't has a Job.
He is my past 5 years ago. :)
This guy is a known troll. I don't think he actually advocates M$
products. For a minute I thought he was a linux user trying to make M$
users look stupid, now I think he is just a trouble maker trying to make
anyone look stupid. If he were really a CIO for a big company, do you
think his company knows he wastes all this time trolling USENET?
Ku Karlovsky
2005-04-25 19:51:27 UTC
Post by Mike Cox
I was on a conference call with my MS Rep
We're very sorry to hear you suffer from Multiple Sclerosis.
Post by Mike Cox
and he congratulated me for quickly moving my company to Windows 2003
64 Bit Server.
It's a debilitating disease.
Post by Mike Cox
Just a heads up
your ass.

[Remainder of uselessness snipped]
mlw
2005-04-25 20:03:19 UTC
Post by Mike Cox
I was on a conference call with my MS Rep, and he congratulated me for
quickly moving my company to Windows 2003 64 Bit Server.
I can see it now: "Congratulations, you just bought me my new Merc."
Post by Mike Cox
I made the
decision as soon as I heard 64 bit was released to manufacturing.
Just released? a ".0" release? From Microsoft? Have fun with that.
Post by Mike Cox
My rep
informed me last weekend in a late night strategy session that Jim Allchin
informed him that 64 bit Windows would be available at DELL this Monday.
Today I placed an order with DELL to replace all my Windows 2003 servers
with Windows 2003 Server 64 Bit systems running Intel's EM64T
processors.
Brave, if somewhat stupid.
Post by Mike Cox
My DELL rep comended my company for being one of the first to
purchase the
systems since they were just released today!
Brilliant!!! Bet the company on bleeding edge technology. Wonderful.
Post by Mike Cox
He informed me that the
Window XP 64-bit desktops will be available in June. I told my dell rep
that my beeper was at my side at all times and that I must be contacted
ASAP the moment the desktop version are available.
You sound like a crack addict.
Post by Mike Cox
I told my boss that under no circumstances could we hold off on this
deployment, as Windows 2003 64 Bit Server would be an effective mid game
tool to punish our competition until the release of Longhorn.
And, how, one is inspired to ask, does your buying new hardware and software
"punish" your competition? As with any IT investment, it is a short term
loss with (hopefully) reasonable recoup on cost over time.
Post by Mike Cox
I informed
him that while our Linux competitors struggle with AMD 64 bit and USB Mass
storage devices locking up like Fort Knox, our servers will be 64-bitting
them right out of the market!
I find it hard to believe that there would be any USB devices in the server
farms. USB is a strictly consumer I/O channel.
Post by Mike Cox
My boss praised me and told me in advance that my performace review would
be stellar once again.
If you are a CIO, he must be the dumbest CTO or CEO in corporate america,
even allowing for the current lowness of that standard.
Post by Mike Cox
I told Scott, our MCSE, to cancel any plans for
the next few weeks (weekends too) as the deployment was the #1 company
priority.
Yup, manitory overtime, the Microsoft way.
lol, not a chance.
Tim Smith
2005-04-25 20:05:58 UTC
Post by Mike Cox
I told my boss that under no circumstances could we hold off on this
deployment, as Windows 2003 64 Bit Server would be an effective mid game
tool to punish our competition until the release of Longhorn. I informed
him that while our Linux competitors struggle with AMD 64 bit and USB Mass
storage devices locking up like Fort Knox, our servers will be 64-bitting
them right out of the market!
You have USB mass storage devices on your servers?
--Tim Smith
Jean-David Beyer
2005-04-26 03:01:03 UTC
Post by Tim Smith
Post by Mike Cox
I told my boss that under no circumstances could we hold off on this
deployment, as Windows 2003 64 Bit Server would be an effective mid game
tool to punish our competition until the release of Longhorn. I informed
him that while our Linux competitors struggle with AMD 64 bit and USB Mass
storage devices locking up like Fort Knox, our servers will be 64-bitting
them right out of the market!
You have USB mass storage devices on your servers?
Yep: 127 floppy drives on each USB channel.
^^-^^ 23:00:00 up 1 day, 16:37, 3 users, load average: 4.14, 4.28, 4.43
Linønut
2005-04-25 20:58:13 UTC
Post by Mike Cox
I was on a conference call with my MS Rep, and he congratulated me for
quickly moving my company to Windows 2003 64 Bit Server. I made the
decision as soon as I heard 64 bit was released to manufacturing.
Cross-posting numbskull.
When all you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail.
Sammy Lister
2005-04-25 21:14:39 UTC
Post by Mike Cox
[...]
Let me get this straight, you are going to migrate your companies servers
to a totally new operating system without any testing?
Are you crazy?
Have you even checked to see if your applications will be fully supported?
What about hardware support?
MS is know for dropping device support for older units.
In addition, what kind of performance are you really looking at running 32
bit applications on a 64 bit platform?
My advice to you, if you want to keep your job, is to do some testing,
document and develop a change policy and try to cover all bases and even
then you are going to have troubles.Going into something like you speak of
all in one swoop is complete suicide!
--
Sammy Lister
***@yahoo.com
"Professional Bagpipe Tuner"
John Thompson
2005-04-25 23:05:08 UTC
Post by Mike Cox
I was on a conference call with my MS Rep, and he congratulated me for
quickly moving my company to Windows 2003 64 Bit Server. I made the
decision as soon as I heard 64 bit was released to manufacturing.
A thoughtful, considered decision then. You did run it on a test system
first, no?
Post by Mike Cox
Just a heads up to our Linux consultant competitors that your lunch is
about to be eaten.
Why is that, exactly? 64-bit x86 linux has been available for a couple
years already; even longer for other platforms, e.g. Alpha, Sparc, Mips.

What took MS so long to catch up?
John (***@os2.dhs.org)
Mike Cox
2005-04-26 00:33:01 UTC
Post by John Thompson
Post by Mike Cox
I was on a conference call with my MS Rep, and he congratulated me for
quickly moving my company to Windows 2003 64 Bit Server. I made the
decision as soon as I heard 64 bit was released to manufacturing.
A thoughtful, considered decision then. You did run it on a test system
first, no?
Well we want to use the system before any of our competitors have a
chance.

To load up Windows 2003 Server 64-Bit on Intel's EM64T processors before
anyone else would give us a stunning blow against our competitors. This
means a quick deployment which is completely realistic since I have read
MS's white papers on the technology and am fully up to speed on the
advanced set of features.

MS's operating systems, from my years of professional experience, are
always better than the previous (with the sole exception of Win ME).

If this were a battlefield, it would be like getting tanks that could
have an effective firing range of twice the advesary. This means that
before our competition sees us, they will be up in smoke!

As you know, the 64 bit address fields and large memory will enable us to
analyze larger quantities of Excel data from our OLAP cube coming from
our MS SQL SERVER at a rate not comparable to our Linux competitors.

Our ablity to rapidly deploy application written in the .NET framework
with web services blows out anything that Linux could do. PostgreSQL has
a small subset of features that MS SQL SERVER has. Replication is a joke
in PGSQL still!
Post by John Thompson
Post by Mike Cox
Just a heads up to our Linux consultant competitors that your lunch is
about to be eaten.
Why is that, exactly? 64-bit x86 linux has been available for a couple
years already; even longer for other platforms, e.g. Alpha, Sparc, Mips.
HAHAHAHAHA AHAHAHAHAH. You must be JOKING! Those aren't good 64 bit
systems. Hell, the SPARC chip still to this day doesn't do POPC!
Post by John Thompson
What took MS so long to catch up?
They spent the time to do it right. Look at the joke which is the SPARC
chip (no POPC to this day) or AMD x86_64 and Linux Mass storage bugs.

While your Servers are locked up due to linux bugs or slow do to not
having POPC, our servers will eat your lunch.
m***@gmail.com
2005-04-26 04:46:38 UTC
Servers eat food? This explains so much about my FTP server....

Seriously, i haven't laughed so hard at anything in my life. Please
don't tell me you guys actually take him seriously. He's a total
known troll. Still, this is some funny shit.
Mike Cox

mlw
2005-04-26 03:03:14 UTC
Post by Mike Cox
Post by John Thompson
Post by Mike Cox
I was on a conference call with my MS Rep, and he congratulated me for
quickly moving my company to Windows 2003 64 Bit Server. I made the
decision as soon as I heard 64 bit was released to manufacturing.
A thoughtful, considered decision then. You did run it on a test system
first, no?
Well we want to use the system before any of our competitors have a
chance.
Why?
Post by Mike Cox
To load up Windows 2003 Server 64-Bit on Intel's EM64T processors before
anyone else would give us a stunning blow against our competitors.
And what would this stunning blow be?
Post by Mike Cox
This
means a quick deployment which is completely realistic since I have read
MS's white papers on the technology and am fully up to speed on the
advanced set of features.
Yup, sure you are.
Post by Mike Cox
MS's operating systems, from my years of professional experience, are
always better than the previous (with the sole exception of Win ME).
Really? Years of experience? Name one "new" OS from microsoft which was
better than the previous one?

DOS 2.0? Nope, 2.01 fixed all the bugs.
DOS 3.0? Nope, 3.1 fixed the bugs
DOS 3.2? Nope, wait until 3.3, then 3.33
Windows 1.0? Nope, 1.03 was as far as that puppy went.
Windows 2.0? Nope, again, 2.03, then 2.1
Windows 3.0? Nope, 3.1, then 3.11
Windows 4.0 (95) ? Nope, Windows 4.1 (Windows 95c)

And on and on. You are wrong.
Post by Mike Cox
If this were a battlefield, it would be like getting tanks that could
have an effective firing range of twice the advesary. This means that
before our competition sees us, they will be up in smoke!
Your analogy is flawed. For double the actual performance, you need to
double your memory as well. An "int" is now 8 bytes instead of 4. Besides,
if you are talking about a database, you still have the old I/O bus
limitations that are not affected in anyway.
Post by Mike Cox
As you know, the 64 bit address fields and large memory will enable us to
analyze larger quantities of Excel data from our OLAP cube coming from
our MS SQL SERVER at a rate not comparable to our Linux competitors.
Sorry, I think I spit choked here. Excel data OLAP cube, "fast?" Let me tell
you, a bad algorithm or approach on a super fast computer may be faster
then when implemented on a slower one, but a proper algorithm or approach
can be orders of magnitude faster regardless of processor. So, with 64 bit
CPU, your excel OLAP application may look twice as fast, but I assure you a
good coder *not* using excel will be 10 times faster.
Post by Mike Cox
Our ablity to rapidly deploy application written in the .NET framework
with web services blows out anything that Linux could do.
LOL, the *fastest* rapid deployment environment is PHP.
Post by Mike Cox
PostgreSQL has
a small subset of features that MS SQL SERVER has. Replication is a joke
in PGSQL still!
SQL Server have sequences yet?
Post by Mike Cox
Post by John Thompson
Post by Mike Cox
Just a heads up to our Linux consultant competitors that your lunch is
about to be eaten.
Why is that, exactly? 64-bit x86 linux has been available for a couple
years already; even longer for other platforms, e.g. Alpha, Sparc,
Mips.
HAHAHAHAHA AHAHAHAHAH. You must be JOKING! Those aren't good 64 bit
systems. Hell, the SPARC chip still to this day doesn't do POPC!
Linux has been running in 64 bits for quite a while on the same systems that
Microsoft is just starting to support.
Post by Mike Cox
Post by John Thompson
What took MS so long to catch up?
They spent the time to do it right.
LOL, that's funny. Really funny.
Post by Mike Cox
Look at the joke which is the SPARC
chip (no POPC to this day) or AMD x86_64 and Linux Mass storage bugs.
Mass storage bugs? You mean a problem with a buggy USB driver that's already
fixed?
Post by Mike Cox
While your Servers are locked up due to linux bugs or slow do to not
having POPC, our servers will eat your lunch.
What I find funny is you insistence that you think a faster computer will
somehow hurt your competition. It is just silly. Your competition will work
with its computers as long as they perform well enough. Then they will
upgrade as needed. You, on the other hand will expend real capital to make
an unwise upgrade to an unproven system.

While you are ironing out the kinks, your customers will be pissed off
because the computers aren't working, and go to your competitor. There are
some great examples of the folly you proclaim to be a strategy.
DFS
2005-04-26 03:45:08 UTC
Post by mlw
Post by Mike Cox
PostgreSQL has
a small subset of features that MS SQL SERVER has. Replication is a
joke in PGSQL still!
SQL Server have sequences yet?
Why?

What need do you have that can't be met by the IDENTITY properties available
in SQL Server? When you finish making up a problem you don't really have,
maybe I can show you (or maybe you already know) how to write a SQL Server
stored proc / table that will very likely do just what you want.

SEQUENCES are just stored as rows in Oracle system tables, with maybe some
values cached in the SGA memory. (very useful things though)

Need a DUAL table in SQL Server, to simulate the Oracle one? Create it.
mlw
2005-04-26 04:24:21 UTC
Post by DFS
Post by mlw
Post by Mike Cox
PostgreSQL has
a small subset of features that MS SQL SERVER has. Replication is a
joke in PGSQL still!
SQL Server have sequences yet?
Why?
What need do you have that can't be met by the IDENTITY properties available
in SQL Server? When you finish making up a problem you don't really have,
maybe I can show you (or maybe you already know) how to write a SQL Server
stored proc / table that will very likely do just what you want.
SEQUENCES are just stored as rows in Oracle system tables, with maybe some
values cached in the SGA memory. (very useful things though)
Need a DUAL table in SQL Server, to simulate the Oracle one? Create it.
Sequences are a bit more than just a row. They are guarenteed unique integer
type numbers, this is far more useful than a GUID.
DFS
2005-04-26 04:53:10 UTC
Post by mlw
Post by DFS
Post by mlw
Post by Mike Cox
PostgreSQL has
a small subset of features that MS SQL SERVER has. Replication is
a joke in PGSQL still!
SQL Server have sequences yet?
Why?
What need do you have that can't be met by the IDENTITY properties available
in SQL Server? When you finish making up a problem you don't really
have, maybe I can show you (or maybe you already know) how to write
a SQL Server stored proc / table that will very likely do just what
you want.
SEQUENCES are just stored as rows in Oracle system tables, with
maybe some values cached in the SGA memory. (very useful things
though)
Need a DUAL table in SQL Server, to simulate the Oracle one? Create it.
Sequences are a bit more than just a row.
They're just rows in a system table (the sequence specs are the columns),
combined with [maybe] some cached values to minimize disk access.
Post by mlw
They are guarenteed unique integer type numbers,
Well, they're not _guaranteed_ to be unique. This definition will start
generating duplicate values real quickly.

CREATE SEQUENCE SEQ_DFS
MINVALUE 1
MAXVALUE 2
INCREMENT BY 1
CYCLE
ORDER
Post by mlw
this is far more useful than a GUID.
GUIDs have nothing to do with the SQL Server IDENTITY property. In fact,
you can't even assign the IDENTITY property on a SQL Server uniqueidentifier
data type.
mlw
2005-04-26 11:01:18 UTC
Post by DFS
Post by mlw
Post by DFS
Post by mlw
Post by Mike Cox
[...]
That may be how they are stored, but that isn't how they are handled
internally.
Post by DFS
Post by mlw
They are guarenteed unique integer type numbers,
Well, they're not _guaranteed_ to be unique. This definition will start
generating duplicate values real quickly.
Any fool can burn down the house with stupidity.
Post by DFS
CREATE SEQUENCE SEQ_DFS
MINVALUE 1
MAXVALUE 2
INCREMENT BY 1
CYCLE
ORDER
Tim Smith
2005-04-26 08:19:12 UTC
Post by Mike Cox
Well we want to use the system before any of our competitors have a
chance.
To load up Windows 2003 Server 64-Bit on Intel's EM64T processors before
anyone else would give us a stunning blow against our competitors. This
means a quick deployment which is completely realistic since I have read
MS's white papers on the technology and am fully up to speed on the
advanced set of features.
Are you employed as a screenwriter, by any chance? Your stories seem
familiar, and I just realized why: they sound exactly like what we get
in movies whenever they want to add a techno edge to a story and throw
in some random babble about computers, without actually understanding
what they mean...

Post by Mike Cox
Our ablity to rapidly deploy application written in the .NET framework
with web services blows out anything that Linux could do. PostgreSQL has
a small subset of features that MS SQL SERVER has. Replication is a joke
in PGSQL still!
...such as you do here. It's clear you've never actually used the
replication in MS SQL Server, or even read the details about how it
works at microsoft.com.
--Tim Smith
e***@worldbadminton.com
2005-04-26 14:08:36 UTC
In comp.os.linux.misc John Thompson <***@vector.os2.dhs.org> wrote:
:> Just a heads up to our Linux consultant competitors that your lunch is
:> about to be eaten.

: Why is that, exactly? 64-bit x86 linux has been available for a couple
: years already; even longer for other platforms, e.g. Alpha, Sparc, Mips.

: What took MS so long to catch up?

Since this is such an amusing thread I'll keep reading all the drivel,
but I do need to correct one item here:

MS has been shipping 64-bit Windows for a couple of years also- for
64 bit machines. What's new is the release of 64-bit workstations
and their accompanying OS.

now back to the kdis calling each other names...

Stan
--
Stan Bischof ("stan" at the below domain)
www.worldbadminton.com
Alan Connor
2005-04-26 00:42:43 UTC
On comp.os.linux.misc, in <***@x-privat.org>, "Mike Cox" wrote:

To his own sockpuppets, the only 'people' that read his drivel.

<quote>

From: Mike Cox <***@yahoo.com>
Date: 25 Apr 2005 19:41:50 +0200
t)

[...]

</quote>

If you see someone using x-privat.org, the chances are
high that it is troll. (or some other sort of fuckwitted
loser)

No, complaining to abuse there won't do you any good at
all. It's staffed by script kitty trolls and would-be
crackers.

Wannabees. Punks.

Like "Mike Cox" here.

I didn't even bother to read the article above. May
as well stick your head in a septic tank as read
something by "Mike Cox".

AC
--
alanconnor AT earthlink DOT net
Use your real return address or I'll never know you
even tried to mail me. http://tinyurl.com/2t5kp
Diogenes
2005-04-26 00:49:41 UTC
And who reads YOUR cross-posted drivel, troll.
Kadaitcha Man
2005-04-26 01:59:30 UTC
Alan Connor, <***@xxx.yyy>, the baseborn, clattery flapper, and wild fowl
decoy, slobbered:

if the claim on your website is accurate, that you never see spam, there is
no need to be coy with your mail address, eh.

***@earthlink.net
***@earthlink.net
***@earthlink.net
***@earthlink.net
***@earthlink.net
***@earthlink.net
***@earthlink.net
***@earthlink.net
***@earthlink.net
***@earthlink.net
***@earthlink.net
***@earthlink.net
--
http://www.nice-tits.org/pics.html
'Spam Reporting' in <fXzae.5354$***@newssvr21.news.prodigy.com>
L David Matheny
2005-04-26 05:54:35 UTC
"Alan Connor" <***@xxx.yyy> wrote in message news:78gbe.13466$***@newsread1.news.pas.earthlink.net...
<snip>
Post by Alan Connor
If you see someone using x-privat.org, the chances are
high that it is troll. (or some other sort of fuckwitted
loser)
I don't believe that is true. When news.individual.net started
charging, some of the refugees ended up on news.x-privat.org.
I tried it, but I'm currently posting elsewhere because it seemed
a bit slow. I suspect they're working to add capacity.
Post by Alan Connor
No, complaining to abuse there won't do you any good at
all. It's staffed by script kitty trolls and would-be
crackers.
Wannabees. Punks.
I read elsewhere that the guy who operates it is sometimes
actually too quick to respond to complaints.
I don't know anything about Mike Cox.
mneptok
2005-04-26 09:03:10 UTC
On Tue, 26 Apr 2005 00:42:43 +0000, Alan Connor wrote:

<snip>
Post by Alan Connor
I informed him that while our Linux
competitors struggle with AMD 64 bit and USB Mass storage devices
locking up like Fort Knox, our servers will be 64-bitting them
right out of the market!
<snip>

64-bit AMD 3200+ Winchester core here running Ubuntu 5.04. Stable as
any other Linux distro/platform I have used.

But then I suspect you're not really interested in "facts" or "the real
world." Too busy slurping the Kool-Aid and Redmond schwanz.

Open wide, baby. This one's gonna sting.

./k
A. Ben Hmeda
2005-04-28 12:58:55 UTC
<snipped>

For all of you who don't know Mike Cox, he is a saterical character. His
posts, which can be found on ZDNet's Talk Back Forum, are almost always,
witty and full of sarcasm. I reckon he is a mature *nix user.
Knowing that, read his posts again and you'll ROTFLYAO... This guy kills me.
Peter Köhlmann
2005-04-28 13:47:35 UTC
Post by A. Ben Hmeda
<snipped>
For all of you who don't know Mike Cox, he is a saterical character. His
posts, which can be found on ZDNet's Talk Back Forum, are almost always,
witty and full of sarcasm. I reckon he is a mature *nix user.
He is a dumb windows luser
Really?
ray
2005-04-26 15:32:34 UTC
Absolutely wonderful. Of course, you could have migrated to a 64 bit
operating system ten years ago if you had really needed it. I was using a
DEC Alpha with 64 bit Unix in 1995.
imo
2005-04-26 15:53:27 UTC
Post by Mike Cox
[...]
What a Troll, you upgrade without using your brain cost us $thousands.
CME crash for hours yesterday, cost the company lots of money and also
investors. No brainer IT worker like you should send to 8 x 4 cells for
at least 10 years witout parole.
imo
2005-04-26 15:58:08 UTC
Post by Mike Cox
[...]
CME crash for hours Today from 09:53:06 CST. Your stupidity not just
costs CME lots of money and also investors like us. No brainer rational
IT worker like you should send to 8 x 4 cells for at least 10 years
witout parole.
Tukla Ratte
2005-04-28 15:45:40 UTC
Mike Cox <***@yahoo.com> writes:

< snip >
Post by Mike Cox
My boss praised me and told me in advance that my performace review would
be stellar once again.
I give this fan fiction 2.5 out of 5 stars. The story is pretty dull,
but at least the author has a decent grasp of English.

< snip >
--
Tukla, Squeaker of Chew Toys
Official Mascot of Alt.Atheism