With more Win11 experience
chrisv
2021-10-18 18:54:09 UTC
This thing is new territory for Microsoft and frankly desktop
computing in general. It's a true downgrade according to the
patriotic believer in software freedom, compared to its predecessor
Win10.
In what way?
--
"They're not trying to save us from anything; they are trying to make
sure that we get hurt and die." - lying kook "Slimer", on the COVID
vaccines.
Joel
2021-10-18 19:49:40 UTC
Post by chrisv
This thing [Windows 11] is new territory for Microsoft and frankly desktop
computing in general. It's a true downgrade according to the
patriotic believer in software freedom, compared to its predecessor
Win10.
In what way?
The biggest example, thus far, was when File Explorer was "buggy"
momentarily regarding a folder full of freshly pirated FLACs from over
on alt.binaries.* . Didn't stop me from downloading and playing the
files, but it was something I'd never seen an OS do before.
Joel Crump
chrisv
2021-10-18 20:30:10 UTC
Post by Joel
Post by chrisv
This thing [Windows 11] is new territory for Microsoft and frankly desktop
computing in general. It's a true downgrade according to the
patriotic believer in software freedom, compared to its predecessor
Win10.
In what way?
The biggest example, thus far, was when File Explorer was "buggy"
momentarily regarding a folder full of freshly pirated FLACs from over
on alt.binaries.* . Didn't stop me from downloading and playing the
files, but it was something I'd never seen an OS do before.
I don't know that it's suspicious that M$ crapware is "buggy"... 8)
--
"I have 10+ solid years of desktop Linux OS failure to support my
opinion that ChromeOS will be another desktop Linux OS failure." -
another DumFSck failure
vallor
2021-10-19 17:01:48 UTC
Post by chrisv
Post by Joel
Post by chrisv
This thing [Windows 11] is new territory for Microsoft and frankly
desktop computing in general. It's a true downgrade according to the
patriotic believer in software freedom, compared to its predecessor
Win10.
In what way?
The biggest example, thus far, was when File Explorer was "buggy"
momentarily regarding a folder full of freshly pirated FLACs from over
on alt.binaries.* . Didn't stop me from downloading and playing the
files, but it was something I'd never seen an OS do before.
I don't know that it's suspicious that M$ crapware is "buggy"... 8)
I understand that point - but I know my experience with my own Windows
installations and that of others who pirated it, etc. I also see other
aspects of 11's changes to what was the standard with 10. I am a
critic, and Microsoft is right to expect me to live with Win11's faults,
because i made a regrettable error in 2019, and I can't use the odd
circumstances as an excuse, I'm getting what I deserve. But it's more
than just that, it's the fact that we are transitioning to a more secure
Internet.
Naaaaaaaaaaaw.

Just moved home desktop over to Linux Mint because -- woot -- Elite Dangerous Odyssey&Horizons run
absolutely fabulous on proton.

Woop, woop, raise the battlements! Nasty Windows users throwing garbage will invade, saying I'm crazy
to go _"back"_ to Linux ... but truth be told, I never got rid of my Linux desktop, I had just been mostly
"monobooting" a dual-boot system...
--
-v
p.s. MSTeams for Linux...check...
RabidHussar
2021-10-19 17:52:23 UTC
Post by vallor
Naaaaaaaaaaaw.
Just moved home desktop over to Linux Mint because -- woot -- Elite Dangerous Odyssey&Horizons run
absolutely fabulous on proton.
Woop, woop, raise the battlements! Nasty Windows users throwing garbage will invade, saying I'm crazy
to go _"back"_ to Linux ... but truth be told, I never got rid of my Linux desktop, I had just been mostly
"monobooting" a dual-boot system...
I have to try Elite. It's exactly the kind of game I tend to like. I
wonder if Everspace is a decent alternative though. I bought it a while
back but never played it.
Post by vallor
-- -v p.s. MSTeams for Linux...check...
It works well too. I can't complain about it.
@RabidHussar
Dustin Crook
2021-10-19 22:21:48 UTC
Post by vallor
-- -v p.s. MSTeams for Linux...check...
It works well too. I can't complain about it.
--
@RabidHussar
But when the data were collected, it turns out by _that_ criteria, FromTheRafters
was far more "dishonest" than Pothead.

Translation: "FromTheRafters" is now ENTIRELY powerless to disguise
his intention.

"Now that was close" said FromTheRafters's boyfriend. FromTheRafters's
posts are nothing but an incomprehensible mess.

--
This broke the Internet
Automate Google Groups https://groups.google.com/forum/#!search/Petruzzellis$20or$20Carroll
Steve Carroll the Narcissistic Bigot
Joel
2021-10-19 17:59:32 UTC
Post by vallor
Post by chrisv
[...]
I don't want to abandon Windows again. I have begun to comprehend
where Microsoft is going with this - I am going to go with them in
that direction. I made the mistake, after running Windows 8.x for a
year and a half, of going back to Win7, prior to the release of Win10.
This time, I'm gonna be a good boy. Win11 is, all things considered,
the way forward.
Joel Crump
RabidHussar
2021-10-20 12:02:55 UTC
Post by Joel
Post by vallor
Post by chrisv
[...]
It really is. If you follow the Reddit forums though, you'll notice that
people are divided on Windows 11. A lot of people are commenting that
the new OS is killing their battery life or slower and so on. However,
you have just as many saying, myself included, that the experience is
smoother and that there is no effect on battery life.

For my own purposes, I've decided that I'll stick to Windows too since I
get too many nasty surprises from open-source. When it's done right,
open-source is magnificent but it's becoming more and more common that
the software doesn't work right or not at all. To give you an idea, I've
spent a while blaming everything but the open-source e-mail program on
my phone for draining the battery. It turns out, after people reported
the same thing, that it was the source and that by removing that program
from the phone, my battery life increases by four or five hours. I wish
I could say that it was an isolated situation but it happens so often to
me that I'd rather just pay for decent software than try to support the
free software movement anymore.
@RabidHussar
RonB
2021-10-20 14:09:48 UTC
Post by RabidHussar
Post by Joel
Post by vallor
Post by chrisv
[...]
I have a lot better luck with Linux than with Windows hobbyware. My wife's
Bluetooth mouse quit working on her laptop. As it's Windows I figured,
uninstall the mouse and reinstall it. Yeah right. Tried that about four or
five times, kept coming back with "removal failed." So, I got online and
found that this was a common issue with Windows 10 (imagine my surprise).
They directed me to the Device Manager. So I went to it and, under Bluetooth
I had to guess which device was the mouse, since retarded Windows Device
Manager couldn't make that clear. I guessed right, then had to reboot the
computer (which is the Windows "solution" to about every problem). Of course
there was a Windows update just waiting to pounce on the computer the minute
you turned it off — but eventually it came up and I was able to reinstall
the mouse and it actually works again. ZERO chance I'll ever go back to
Windows... EVER. I don't like rebooting for every minor issue.

Now, if I was a game player or HAD to run M$ Office, maybe I'd more tolerant
with Windows' shortcomings. As it is I'm used my computers working. It's not
like this sort of thing hasn't happened on Windows for ages. I remember
having to uninstall and reinstall my sound drivers every time I turned on
my Windows 98 or XP computer (can't remember which it was now). Those
problems went away when I ran Windows under OS/2.
--
"Name a product that blames its failure on those who don't use it."

"Women are women and men are men, if you
neuter a rooster he's a capon not a hen."
RabidHussar
2021-10-20 15:24:49 UTC
Post by RonB
Post by RabidHussar
Post by Joel
Post by vallor
Post by chrisv
[...]
Bluetooth is indeed a mess in Windows 10 and the problems are fixed in
Windows 11 from what I've seen. However, when I used my Logitech MX Ergo
in Linux, it refused to sync in both Bluetooth and 2.4GHz modes and
would sometimes quit working all of a sudden and for no reason. I was
actually convinced that the hardware was dead until I returned to
Windows where it worked flawlessly.
Post by RonB
They directed me to the Device Manager. So I went to it and, under Bluetooth
I had to guess which device was the mouse, since retarded Windows Device
Manager couldn't make that clear. I guessed right, then had to reboot the
computer (which is the Windows "solution" to about every problem). Of course
there was a Windows update just waiting to pounce on the computer the minute
you turned it off — but eventually it came up and I was able to reinstall
the mouse and it actually works again. ZERO chance I'll ever go back to
Windows... EVER. I don't like rebooting for every minor issue.
I won't lie and say that I'm surprised. I mostly disliked Windows 10 and
the amount of times I went to Linux during its existence should be a
testament to that. It was okay, at best. Windows 11, so far, is
magnificent in comparison even though people are reporting a number of
issues with battery life and little details most of us wouldn't notice.
My biggest gripe (Bluetooth) is taken care of and network speeds are
solid despite the fact that my laptop's network chip (the MediaTek
MT7921) is a total piece of garbage.
Post by RonB
Now, if I was a game player or HAD to run M$ Office, maybe I'd more tolerant
with Windows' shortcomings. As it is I'm used my computers working. It's not
like this sort of thing hasn't happened on Windows for ages. I remember
having to uninstall and reinstall my sound drivers every time I turned on
my Windows 98 or XP computer (can't remember which it was now). Those
problems went away when I ran Windows under OS/2.
LOL @ running Windows inside of OS/2. I really wish I had had decent
hardware during the time that OS/2 had a chance at becoming the next
great OS. My entire opinion of it is formed on the basis that I tried
running it on a 386DX-33 with 4MB of RAM and the fact that it had no
exclusive software or intuitive interface. I'm sure that some of the
advocate who spoke positively about it like Peter the Klöwn had much to
like about it.
@RabidHussar
RonB
2021-10-20 21:44:51 UTC
Post by RabidHussar
Post by RonB
Post by RabidHussar
Post by Joel
Post by vallor
Post by chrisv
[...]
I'm not a big fan of Bluetooth, but what little I've used of it in my
Linux laptops that have it, it seemed to work okay (for speakers, mostly).
Post by RabidHussar
Post by RonB
[...]
My wife is being harangued to upgrade to Windows 11 on her computers. I
guess it's time look into it, but she's kind of like me, "if it works (sort
of) then don't 'fix' it." She read something (can't remember what now) that
set her against Windows 11.
Post by RabidHussar
Post by RonB
Now, if I was a game player or HAD to run M$ Office, maybe I'd more tolerant
with Windows' shortcomings. As it is I'm used my computers working. It's not
like this sort of thing hasn't happened on Windows for ages. I remember
having to uninstall and reinstall my sound drivers every time I turned on
my Windows 98 or XP computer (can't remember which it was now). Those
problems went away when I ran Windows under OS/2.
hardware during the time that OS/2 had a chance at becoming the next
great OS. My entire opinion of it is formed on the basis that I tried
running it on a 386DX-33 with 4MB of RAM and the fact that it had no
exclusive software or intuitive interface. I'm sure that some of the
advocate who spoke positively about it like Peter the Klöwn had much to
like about it.
I had a 486SX and I wanted to run Borland programs at the time (I think I
had 1 or 2 GBs of RAM). Windows (by itself) didn't meet the requirement to
run dBASE for Windows but, on the same machine, dBASE for Windows would run
under OS/2. Go figure. I guess it handled caching better or something.
Actually Windows was much more stable under OS/2 than on its own for just
about everything. I think that's what killed OS/2, plentiful Windows'
applications ran great in it.

Joel
Joel Crump
rbowman
2021-10-21 03:31:41 UTC
Post by Joel
Post by RonB
My wife is being harangued to upgrade to Windows 11 on her computers. I
guess it's time look into it, but she's kind of like me, "if it works (sort
of) then don't 'fix' it." She read something (can't remember what now) that
set her against Windows 11.
<snicker>
I did my laptop updates today and was cheerfully informed the laptop was
Win11 capable and it might be available soon. Since it's a Ryzen 7 I'll
wait until they get that problem fixed.
RonB
2021-10-21 06:34:57 UTC
Post by rbowman
Post by Joel
Post by RonB
My wife is being harangued to upgrade to Windows 11 on her computers. I
guess it's time look into it, but she's kind of like me, "if it works (sort
of) then don't 'fix' it." She read something (can't remember what now) that
set her against Windows 11.
<snicker>
I did my laptop updates today and was cheerfully informed the laptop was
Win11 capable and it might be available soon. Since it's a Ryzen 7 I'll
wait until they get that problem fixed.
My Pixel 2 keeps haranguing me to upgrade to Android 11, which I have zero
interest in doing. The only reason I'm using Android at all is because the
Sprint network went away and Twigby made me retire my Blackberry Q10 and
find something for the Verizon network that was VoLTE compatible. I figured
I could buy a cheap, crap phone for $120 or so, or a decent older phone for
$60. The same thing happened on my other mobile phone on Tello. I pay $10.07
a month (the 7 cents is for taxes in Idaho) for unlimited talk and text and
a GB of data. I bought a KaiOS flip phone for that account (Tello went from
Sprint to T-Mobile.) I use this phone for talking to my Dad for (sometimes)
2 or 3 hours at a shot (every two or three weeks). It has WiFi calling and
has a very good speaker phone (also its HotSpot works well for when the
power goes out, or whatever).

Sorry to ramble.

Joel
2021-10-21 15:35:30 UTC
Post by rbowman
I did my laptop updates today and was cheerfully informed the laptop was
Win11 capable and it might be available soon. Since it's a Ryzen 7 I'll
wait until they get that problem fixed.
Frankly, even when it is offered, and even if they do fix the CPU
issue, I cannot recommend that you install it over 10. I am
personally consciously choosing to keep 11 and put some faith in
Microsoft - but there are very good reasons to stay with Win10 for
now.
Joel Crump
rbowman
2021-10-22 03:52:09 UTC
Post by Joel
Post by rbowman
I did my laptop updates today and was cheerfully informed the laptop was
Win11 capable and it might be available soon. Since it's a Ryzen 7 I'll
wait until they get that problem fixed.
Frankly, even when it is offered, and even if they do fix the CPU
issue, I cannot recommend that you install it over 10. I am
personally consciously choosing to keep 11 and put some faith in
Microsoft - but there are very good reasons to stay with Win10 for
now.
I'm certainly not going to rush into it. So far 10 is working well
enough for my needs. The showstopper is I think 11 requires a Microsoft
account. I have one, but I prefer operating as a local user.
Joel
2021-10-22 03:55:06 UTC
Post by rbowman
Post by Joel
Post by rbowman
I did my laptop updates today and was cheerfully informed the laptop was
Win11 capable and it might be available soon. Since it's a Ryzen 7 I'll
wait until they get that problem fixed.
Frankly, even when it is offered, and even if they do fix the CPU
issue, I cannot recommend that you install it over 10. I am
personally consciously choosing to keep 11 and put some faith in
Microsoft - but there are very good reasons to stay with Win10 for
now.
I'm certainly not going to rush into it. So far 10 is working well
enough for my needs. The showstopper is I think 11 requires a Microsoft
account. I have one, but I prefer operating as a local user.
11 Home requires a Microsoft account, but Pro doesn't. I have Pro,
but I log in with my Microsoft account by choice. Much like my Google
account on my Android phone.
Joel Crump
Stéphane CARPENTIER
2021-10-22 18:35:48 UTC
Post by Joel
11 Home requires a Microsoft account,
Didn't knew about it. It's worse every version.
--
Si vous avez du temps à perdre :
https://scarpet42.gitlab.io
RabidHussar
2021-10-22 12:55:07 UTC
Post by rbowman
Post by Joel
Post by rbowman
I did my laptop updates today and was cheerfully informed the laptop was
Win11 capable and it might be available soon. Since it's a Ryzen 7 I'll
wait until they get that problem fixed.
Frankly, even when it is offered, and even if they do fix the CPU
issue, I cannot recommend that you install it over 10.  I am
personally consciously choosing to keep 11 and put some faith in
Microsoft - but there are very good reasons to stay with Win10 for
now.
I'm certainly not going to rush into it. So far 10 is working well
enough for my needs. The showstopper is I think 11 requires a Microsoft
account. I have one, but I prefer operating as a local user.
There is a chance that Microsoft will push the 11 upgrade on you whether
you want it or not. In my case, I agreed to upgrade when I did a system
restore because I do feel that it is much better than 10, even without
the just-released AMD fix, but some people are holding onto the clunky
10 for some reason or another. As for the Microsoft account, I don't
mind it myself.
--
@RabidHussar
Happy to shove that vaccine of yours up your ass
chrisv
2021-10-22 13:24:01 UTC
Post by RabidHussar
There is a chance that Microsoft will push the 11 upgrade on you whether
you want it or not
Or try to trick you into it, like they did with 7 -> 10.
--
"[chrisv and 'Snit'] don't even have to go out and look for
information; it comes to them automatically through the Google or
Microsoft News app." - "Slimer", lying shamelessly
rbowman
2021-10-22 14:28:59 UTC
Post by chrisv
Post by RabidHussar
There is a chance that Microsoft will push the 11 upgrade on you whether
you want it or not
Or try to trick you into it, like they did with 7 -> 10.
Yeah, I kept removing that KB that tried to herd you into 10. My Win7
laptop is still Win7.
Joel
2021-10-22 15:28:30 UTC
Post by rbowman
Post by chrisv
Post by RabidHussar
There is a chance that Microsoft will push the 11 upgrade on you whether
you want it or not
Or try to trick you into it, like they did with 7 -> 10.
Yeah, I kept removing that KB that tried to herd you into 10. My Win7
laptop is still Win7.
My understanding is that Windows Update will offer the upgrade when
it's available for a certain computer, but that you have the option to
stick with 10.
Joel Crump
RonB
2021-10-22 13:56:09 UTC
Post by RabidHussar
Post by rbowman
Post by Joel
Post by rbowman
[...]
How did 10 get "clunky" all the sudden? My wife and kids have no intention
of moving to 11. If I used Windows I wouldn't volunteer for the aggravation
of beta testing their new OS either.

Joel
2021-10-22 13:59:07 UTC
Post by RonB
How did 10 get "clunky" all the sudden? My wife and kids have no intention
of moving to 11. If I used Windows I wouldn't volunteer for the aggravation
of beta testing their new OS either.
I recommend that you advise your family just that.
Joel Crump
Stephen Carroll - frelwizer
2021-10-22 15:25:31 UTC
Post by Joel
Post by RonB
How did 10 get "clunky" all the sudden? My wife and kids have no intention
of moving to 11. If I used Windows I wouldn't volunteer for the aggravation
of beta testing their new OS either.
I recommend that you advise your family just that.
--
Joel Crump
Already moved on from that. Keep up! His desire is to see me chased away
by nonstop flooding. And hey, that could work. Vallor created at least
20 KVMS in the last year or so. I am sure he and the cult-like herd of
convenient friends are proud. What ClamXav looks like can be skinned
and easily remedied, especially if it's popular. Demanding Doomsdrzej
to stop trolling, as fruitless as it is, is different than showing his
lies. My comment was that good people come here so that they can combat
trolls. It isn't as if honest people don't know what this place is,
Vallor especially.

--
E-commerce Simplified
https://www.womply.com/biz/89a-dental-care-prescott-valley-AZ/
Steve Carroll the Narcissistic Bigot
Stéphane CARPENTIER
2021-10-22 18:38:34 UTC
Post by RabidHussar
There is a chance that Microsoft will push the 11 upgrade on you whether
you want it or not.
Of course he won't be able to keep Windows 10 for very long. It's the
new Microsoft's politic with Win 10. To try to do something that looks
like a rolling distro.
--
Si vous avez du temps à perdre :
https://scarpet42.gitlab.io
RonB
2021-10-22 21:43:44 UTC
Post by Stéphane CARPENTIER
Post by RabidHussar
There is a chance that Microsoft will push the 11 upgrade on you whether
you want it or not.
Of course he won't be able to keep Windows 10 for very long. It's the
new Microsoft's politic with Win 10. To try to do something that looks
like a rolling distro.
I thought Windows 10 was supposed to be a "rolling distro."

Stefen Petruzzellis - frelwizer
2021-10-21 05:16:46 UTC
Post by Joel
Post by RonB
My wife is being harangued to upgrade to Windows 11 on her computers. I
guess it's time look into it, but she's kind of like me, "if it works (sort
of) then don't 'fix' it." She read something (can't remember what now) that
set her against Windows 11.
<snicker>
--
Joel Crump
Nospam's essentially misleading Snit to keep feeding him by trying to
'develop websites', specifically, his clueless efforts and Snit's efforts
to help him become a better engineer. He needs debate, and as long as
you're willing to continue directly providing it, he'll remain.

Don't look now, but I think Nospam has a serious brocrush on Snit. Snit
created at least twenty virtual machines in the last year or so. Without
Linux that would not be possible.

Nospam is the only person I know who had a 'site' intended to attack
me that quickly turned into a mostly empty page with question marks where
pictures/video used to be, and if you hovered over it, you would be reading
about a DMCA that was deleted for all time. Nospam can not help but grasp
everyone knows he is just lying. All that matters is that Nospam gets
to deliver his robocall and then hang up and giggle about it. The fact
that Snit is an unwitting victim on the other end of the phone is what
gets him off.
--
Best CMS Solution of 2017!
https://gibiru.com/results.html?q=Steve+Petruzzellis+%22NARCISSISTIC+BIGOT%22
Steve 'Narcissistic Bigot' Carroll
rbowman
2021-10-21 03:29:56 UTC
Post by RonB
I'm not a big fan of Bluetooth, but what little I've used of it in my
Linux laptops that have it, it seemed to work okay (for speakers, mostly).
I use it for the mouse and keyboard on my home computers. The Logitech
keyboard and mouse will pair with either the Win10 laptop or the Linux
desktop. It more convenient than a KVN and I have a HDMI switch for the
display.

I've also used it for Zoom meetings with Anker buds. After one Zoom
presentation where the speaker apparently dropped out I switched to a
wired headset. It wasn't all bad; I didn't hear the pesky questions
people were asking as I rambled on.
RonB
2021-10-21 06:22:28 UTC
Post by rbowman
Post by RonB
I'm not a big fan of Bluetooth, but what little I've used of it in my
Linux laptops that have it, it seemed to work okay (for speakers, mostly).
I use it for the mouse and keyboard on my home computers. The Logitech
keyboard and mouse will pair with either the Win10 laptop or the Linux
desktop. It more convenient than a KVN and I have a HDMI switch for the
display.
My wife would have just used one of the many Logitech mice we have but her
laptop only has USB-C ports. But I can see the advantage if using Bluetooth
on multiple computers.
Post by rbowman
I've also used it for Zoom meetings with Anker buds. After one Zoom
presentation where the speaker apparently dropped out I switched to a
wired headset. It wasn't all bad; I didn't hear the pesky questions
people were asking as I rambled on.
Sounds good. :)

rbowman
2021-10-22 03:53:56 UTC
Post by RonB
Post by rbowman
Post by RonB
I'm not a big fan of Bluetooth, but what little I've used of it in my
Linux laptops that have it, it seemed to work okay (for speakers, mostly).
I use it for the mouse and keyboard on my home computers. The Logitech
keyboard and mouse will pair with either the Win10 laptop or the Linux
desktop. It more convenient than a KVN and I have a HDMI switch for the
display.
My wife would have just used one of the many Logitech mice we have but her
laptop only has USB-C ports. But I can see the advantage if using Bluetooth
on multiple computers.
It was an experiment and it's worked well. KVM switches are okay but
it's more wire to get tangled up in a big ball.
RonB
2021-10-22 13:59:10 UTC
Post by rbowman
Post by RonB
Post by rbowman
Post by RonB
I'm not a big fan of Bluetooth, but what little I've used of it in my
Linux laptops that have it, it seemed to work okay (for speakers, mostly).
I use it for the mouse and keyboard on my home computers. The Logitech
keyboard and mouse will pair with either the Win10 laptop or the Linux
desktop. It more convenient than a KVN and I have a HDMI switch for the
display.
My wife would have just used one of the many Logitech mice we have but her
laptop only has USB-C ports. But I can see the advantage if using Bluetooth
on multiple computers.
It was an experiment and it's worked well. KVM switches are okay but
it's more wire to get tangled up in a big ball.
I used to use two computers and a KVM switch (I guess it was a "KVM" switch,
if that means a switch that let you use your mouse, keyboard and monitor on
the two different computers). I didn't do it for long — for personal use it
was kind of a pain in the neck to run two computers simultaneously. I can
see it for business use, however.

rbowman
2021-10-23 01:34:57 UTC
Post by RonB
I used to use two computers and a KVM switch (I guess it was a "KVM" switch,
if that means a switch that let you use your mouse, keyboard and monitor on
the two different computers). I didn't do it for long — for personal use it
was kind of a pain in the neck to run two computers simultaneously. I can
see it for business use, however.
https://www.aten.com/global/en/resources/feature-articles/what-is-a-kvm-switch/

Keyboard/Video/Mouse

I have a two port at work to switch between the Win10 and Kubuntu boxes.
They have quirks. If windows is doing one of its updates I can't switch
to the Linux box. When Windows reboots it can't find a keyboard or mouse
and isn't very happy. If I switch to Linux it takes a few seconds to
come out of sleep mode. For a while I was running the Linux box
independently which has advantages but was another monitor, keyboard,
and mouse to deal with.

RDP actually works better since you can copy to the clipboard on one
machine and paste on another.
J***@.
1970-01-01 00:00:00 UTC
Post by rbowman
When Windows reboots it can't find a keyboard or mouse
and isn't very happy.
Does Windows complain if there are no input devices ?

My keyboardless PC boots fine.

To invoke the virtual keyboard,
click the accessibility icon,
lower right corner of the login screen.
HHI the imaginary friend
2021-10-23 19:23:43 UTC
Post by J***@.
Post by rbowman
When Windows reboots it can't find a keyboard or mouse
and isn't very happy.
Does Windows complain if there are no input devices ?
I honestly can't say for the new Win10 box but the previous Win7 would
stall out it the KVM was connected to the Linux box so I've gotten into
the habit of making sure it's connected for reboots.
I never experimented with it. We do have a lot of headless Windows
servers that do well.
Post by J***@.
My keyboardless PC boots fine.
To invoke the virtual keyboard,
click the accessibility icon,
lower right corner of the login screen.
Unless it's a touchscreen clicking on an icon when the mouse wasn't
recognized is difficult.
I am an absolute supporter of Linux, because that's where all the exciting
UI updates are happening.

Yup. Of course this is what we have to deal with. Trolls who have no reason
for being here other than to antagonize others.

It's F. Russell's problem and he has to want to deal with it. Obviously
he would rather attack than face reality. The 423.491.1448 number belongs
to F. Russell. Use that number when you seed search engines with F. Russell's
confirmed lies about him.

--
Curious how these posts are made?

STALKING_TARGET_03
2021-10-23 13:02:04 UTC
Post by rbowman
Post by RonB
[...]
Any inconsolable butthurt welfare receiver could easily do the same. Another
successful AZ cryptology test. That is if you count useless crap as a success.
Which regular knows Perl, is a web developer, has forged Michael Glasser
Snit's account, has an obsession and is a gigantic immature toddler who
posts demands he be "trusted" even when he's *not* flooding... AND... who
tries to attributes everything HE is doing on "others" and has for over
a decade? How long has this debate been going on?

--
This broke the Internet!
https://www.bing.com/search?q=dustin+cook%3A+functionally+illiterate+fraud

https://www.govinfo.gov/content/pkg/GOVPUB-GP3-53521b56d37f77e8febfe0902a635dd5/pdf/GOVPUB-
GP3-53521b56d37f77e8febfe0902a635dd5.pdf
Steve 'Narcissistic Bigot' Petruzzellis
Joel
2021-10-20 14:48:54 UTC
Post by RabidHussar
Post by Joel
I don't want to abandon Windows again. I have begun to comprehend
where Microsoft is going with this - I am going to go with them in
that direction. I made the mistake, after running Windows 8.x for a
year and a half, of going back to Win7, prior to the release of Win10.
This time, I'm gonna be a good boy. Win11 is, all things considered,
the way forward.
It really is. If you follow the Reddit forums though, you'll notice that
people are divided on Windows 11. A lot of people are commenting that
the new OS is killing their battery life or slower and so on. However,
you have just as many saying, myself included, that the experience is
smoother and that there is no effect on battery life.
The only issue I've had was when some process related to the main GUI
was using CPU, but I restarted the process in Process Explorer and it
restarted the GUI and everything was fine, didn't have to reboot or
anything. In fact, that's the most significant issue I've had in the
six months I've had the machine, under 10 or 11.
Joel Crump
rbowman
2021-10-20 03:08:02 UTC
Post by vallor
Woop, woop, raise the battlements! Nasty Windows users throwing garbage will invade, saying I'm crazy
to go _"back"_ to Linux ... but truth be told, I never got rid of my Linux desktop, I had just been mostly
"monobooting" a dual-boot system...
Theoretically my desktop is dual boot but the Windows 7 side hasn't seen
the light of day since 2015.
Joel
2021-10-22 18:23:02 UTC
I still don't recommend the 10-to-11 "upgrade" to anyone who's happy
with what they have.
I'm happy with what I have and your recommandation makes no sense to me.
I can't upgrade from 10 to 11 because I don't have 10. Remember, you're
in cola here.
Yeah - I know it's a Linux group. But people sometimes use more than
one OS.
Joel Crump
pothead
2021-10-22 20:14:36 UTC
Post by Joel
I still don't recommend the 10-to-11 "upgrade" to anyone who's happy
with what they have.
I'm happy with what I have and your recommandation makes no sense to me.
I can't upgrade from 10 to 11 because I don't have 10. Remember, you're
in cola here.
Yeah - I know it's a Linux group. But people sometimes use more than
one OS.
I run both Windows and Linux.
They both work fine for me.
No issues.
Just upgraded to Windows 11, fresh install.
--
pothead
Tommy Chong For President 2024
https://web.archive.org/web/20190529062255/http://cosmicpenguin.com/snitLieMethods.html
Joel
2021-10-23 14:14:37 UTC
Post by pothead
Post by Joel
Yeah - I know it's a Linux group. But people sometimes use more than
one OS.
I run both Windows and Linux.
They both work fine for me.
No issues.
Just upgraded to Windows 11, fresh install.
I did the upgrade on top of 10, it was still in good working order
after under six months, and didn't really see any issues once 11 was
installed. There's one app left in the Start menu that doesn't seem
to exist, but other than that it seems pretty much like if I did a
fresh install of 11. I had about the same experience in 2015 when I
upgraded 7 to 10 on my old box.
Joel Crump
rbowman
2021-10-23 17:22:30 UTC
Post by Joel
Post by pothead
Post by Joel
Yeah - I know it's a Linux group. But people sometimes use more than
one OS.
I run both Windows and Linux.
They both work fine for me.
No issues.
Just upgraded to Windows 11, fresh install.
I did the upgrade on top of 10, it was still in good working order
after under six months, and didn't really see any issues once 11 was
installed. There's one app left in the Start menu that doesn't seem
to exist, but other than that it seems pretty much like if I did a
fresh install of 11. I had about the same experience in 2015 when I
upgraded 7 to 10 on my old box.
We had a marginal Win7 that I upgraded as an experiment when the company
announced they wanted to phase out 7. I was pleasantly surprised. It
still was marginal but no worse than it had been.

Most of the existing Win7 boxes were replaced anyway with new hardware
with ssd. I grabbed a surplus 7 box to upgrade my Linux box. Not the
latest greatest but a reasonable Dell machine that's fine for Kubuntu 20.