Why is Suse 9.3 Linux so slow?
Gilbert Hochaim
2005-06-09 22:46:11 UTC
I'm running on a PIV 3.0ghz with 2 gig of memory and this thing is
pitiful.

OpenOffice takes 35 seconds to start.
Microsoft Office takes 4 seconds.

Firefox takes 12 seconds to start.
Internet Explorer takes 2 seconds.

K3b takes 6 minutes to burn a 650mb CD at a so called 32x.
Nero takes about 1.5 minutes and burns at 50x. There is no way of
changing the 32x for Linux, it keeps rejecting it.

Kontact is a slug that has serious screen repaint troubles.
It takes forever to load and when it is loading, moving the mouse
leaves all kinds of trails.

Copying files between drives gives about 4.5mb/sec when Windows is
doing 20mb/sec+ and yes DMA is turned on,

Leaving a CD in the CDROM drive creates tons of error messaged in
/var/logs about missing sectors and so forth.

I can't burn large files to DVD, they crash although they work fine
with Nero and Windows.

SO WTF is wrong with this Linux?
Is THIS the system that is going to put Microsoft out of business?
If that's the current train of thought, Microsoft must be laughing
their asses off because nobody but an idiot would hammerlock their
system back into the 90's by running this garbage.
Glibert
m***@gmail.com
2005-06-09 22:51:55 UTC
Gauranteed to be misconfiguration on your part. I have no such
problems (Granted, I have no DVD burner, so that is moot, but the rest
apply). I'm running on a 1.8 Ghz AMD64, and all of that is slower than
my times. OO takes about 10 seconds for me, FFox takes 5. So
something is wrong with your system.
Gilbert Hochaim
2005-06-09 23:00:21 UTC
Misconfiguration?
Exactly how?
All I did was hit enter, take the defaults and it installed fine.
FWIW it's no speed demon on my AMD system either, but that is a much
slower system.

Like I said, EXACTLY HOW can this be a misconfiguration error?
This is a very, very basic Asus P4P800 Deluxe system using only IDE
drives and cache is enabled according to hdparm and yast.

During installation I was asked for network info (DHCP), passwords and
that was it.
My video is generic Nvidia and seems to work fine with the update from
Yast.

So exactly HOW is this a configuration error?
EXACTLY WHAT is not configured correctly?

You should know:

1. I have installed this system 3 times using 2 different sets of CD's.
2. Ubuntu runs like a rocket on this system.

So what is Suse doing wrong?
m***@gmail.com
2005-06-10 01:01:01 UTC
Post by Gilbert Hochaim
Misconfiguration?
Exactly how?
All I did was hit enter, take the defaults and it installed fine.
FWIW it's no speed demon on my AMD system either, but that is a much
slower system.
Default configuration is almost always wrong. Software never
self-configures well.
Post by Gilbert Hochaim
Like I said, EXACTLY HOW can this be a misconfiguration error?
Did you configure it yourself? If not, then its wrong.
Post by Gilbert Hochaim
This is a very, very basic Asus P4P800 Deluxe system using only IDE
drives and cache is enabled according to hdparm and yast.
During installation I was asked for network info (DHCP), passwords and
that was it.
My video is generic Nvidia and seems to work fine with the update from
Yast.
So exactly HOW is this a configuration error?
EXACTLY WHAT is not configured correctly?
1. I have installed this system 3 times using 2 different sets of CD's.
2. Ubuntu runs like a rocket on this system.
Ok, so this proves its NOT a linux problem. Linux is the kernel.
Since SuSe and Ubuntu both use it, its not the problem.

You can't install SuSe 9.3 from CDs. Its DVD only. So you're a liar.
Post by Gilbert Hochaim
So what is Suse doing wrong?
Trying to configure itself.

Never trust software to configure itself. Ever.
Larry I Smith
2005-06-10 01:36:19 UTC
Post by Gilbert Hochaim
So what is Suse doing wrong?
Trying to configure itself.
Never trust software to configure itself. Ever.
You are wrong.

The retail SuSE Pro 9.3 comes with 2 DVD's and 5 CD's.
Not everyone has a DVD drive; SuSE provides the CD's
for folks who don't have DVD's (and for older systems
that can't boot from a DVD). I installed my SuSE 9.3
from the 5 CD's.

Gilbert does indeed have a problem. I run a lowly
PII-450Mhz with 384MB of RAM, and my performance is
better than what the OP reported (9 secs for Mozilla,
24 secs for OpenOffice). My machine is a dual-boot
setup (Win2k and SuSE 9.3), and the performance is
comparable whether it's booted to Win2k or SuSE.
Soooo, there is a major problem with Gilbert's setup.

I suspect that SuSE's installer has badly mis-configured
something on the Gilbert's machine. Sadly, without additional
information I have no idea what it might be.

This does not appear to be a Linux problem (since Ubuntu
runs fine), but a SuSE-specific problem.

Here's some questions for Gilbert:

1) Is it a 32 bit or a 64 bit system?
2) Was the correct SuSE version installed (32 bit, 64 bit)?
3) Is the video driver configured correctly (Nvidia's can
be problematic)?
4) Is DMA setup correctly for the hard drives, DVD's & CD's
(via YaST)?
5) Are the network card & drivers configured correctly?
6) Is Apache running? If so, does stopping it fix the problem?
7) What does 'top' say is using all of the CPU cycles? (run
'top' from a command line).

I see these posts on occasion, where someone has terrible
performance issues with SuSE - performance that is an order
of magnitude out of bounds from what other users experience,
but I've never seen anyone find the root-cause. If Gilbert
is serious about finding the problem, we should assist; the
answers obtained might be useful to everyone.

Thanks & Regards,
Larry
m***@gmail.com
2005-06-10 07:45:04 UTC
Post by Larry I Smith
You are wrong.
The retail SuSE Pro 9.3 comes with 2 DVD's and 5 CD's.
Not everyone has a DVD drive; SuSE provides the CD's
for folks who don't have DVD's (and for older systems
that can't boot from a DVD). I installed my SuSE 9.3
from the 5 CD's.
I stand corrected. I thought it was only available on DVD, since I can
never find CD ISOs for download (from Novell's website).
Post by Larry I Smith
[...]
I would be perfectly happy to try to help him--but he didn't come here
for help. He came here to be belligerent.
Per Inge Oestmoen
2005-06-10 10:52:21 UTC
Post by m***@gmail.com
I would be perfectly happy to try to help him--but he didn't come here
for help. He came here to be belligerent.
Still we need to be polite and stick to the case in all replies. To
respond with spite and impoliteness only tend to confirm the
anti-Linux attitude of some people. They expect, and want, Linux users
to be rabulists and zealots who cannot be taken seriously.

The real reason why one ought to use Linux:

http://www.efn.no/free-desktop.html

Per Inge Oestmoen, Norway
tab
2005-06-10 22:42:53 UTC
Post by Per Inge Oestmoen
Still we need to be polite and stick to the case in all replies. To
respond with spite and impoliteness only tend to confirm the
anti-Linux attitude of some people. They expect, and want, Linux users
to be rabulists and zealots who cannot be taken seriously.
I like this guy, not like the rest of the Linux Jerk-off who did not
get sex
in the last decade.
S.Heenan
They did get sex tab. Not the heterosexual variety, but sex nonetheless.
m***@gmail.com
2005-06-11 01:25:06 UTC
Post by S.Heenan
Post by tab
Post by Per Inge Oestmoen
Still we need to be polite and stick to the case in all replies. To
respond with spite and impoliteness only tend to confirm the
anti-Linux attitude of some people. They expect, and want, Linux users
to be rabulists and zealots who cannot be taken seriously.
I like this guy, not like the rest of the Linux Jerk-off who did not
get sex
in the last decade.
They did get sex tab. Not the heterosexual variety, but sex nonetheless.
But she said it was a PS/2 port!

James Knott
2005-06-10 11:39:38 UTC
Post by m***@gmail.com
I stand corrected. I thought it was only available on DVD, since I can
never find CD ISOs for download (from Novell's website).
That might be because they don't publish ISO images. They do however, have
install images, for installing over the internet and Live CDs.
* * * Y o u r . S h e p h e r d . A q u i l a . D e u s . ( d 2 0 0 5 x x , d 2 0 0 4 x x , d 2 0 0 3 x x , d 2 0 0 2 x x ) * * *
2005-06-10 14:23:40 UTC
Post by Larry I Smith
Post by Gilbert Hochaim
So what is Suse doing wrong?
Trying to configure itself.
Never trust software to configure itself. Ever.
You are wrong.
The retail SuSE Pro 9.3 comes with 2 DVD's and 5 CD's.
Not everyone has a DVD drive; SuSE provides the CD's
for folks who don't have DVD's (and for older systems
that can't boot from a DVD). I installed my SuSE 9.3
from the 5 CD's.
Gilbert does indeed have a problem. I run a lowly
PII-450Mhz with 384MB of RAM, and my performance is
better than what the OP reported (9 secs for Mozilla,
24 secs for OpenOffice). My machine is a dual-boot
setup (Win2k and SuSE 9.3), and the performance is
comparable whether it's booted to Win2k or SuSE.
Soooo, there is a major problem with Gilbert's setup.
25 secs is still too much. Mozilla is ok, but it comes with no useful
functionality by default and the delay timer in add-on installation
really annoys me. Why the f**k do I have to wait for 3 seconds??
Larry I Smith
2005-06-10 18:28:39 UTC
* * * Y o u r . S h e p h e r d . A q u i l a . D e u s . ( d 2 0 0 5 x
Post by * * * Y o u r . S h e p h e r d . A q u i l a . D e u s . ( d 2 0 0 5 x x , d 2 0 0 4 x x , d 2 0 0 3 x x , d 2 0 0 2 x x ) * * *
Post by Larry I Smith
Post by Gilbert Hochaim
[...]
Note: Since this issue is specific to SuSE (not Linux or Windows),
I've set the 'followup' to alt.os.linux.suse.

As I stated in my original post, my machine is just a PII-450Mhz
with only 384MB of RAM. When booted to SuSE, there is an Apache
WEB Server running in addition to my desktop. When I start
Mozilla (the Mozilla Suite, not Mozilla Firefox), it starts
the Mozilla WEB Browser, the Mozilla Email client, the Mozilla
Calendar, and the Mozilla Addressbook all at once - I configured
it that way on purpose. They get swapped out after a period of
inactivity, and it takes 2 to 3 seconds to swap them back in
when I select one of the apps. The 25 seconds is the time to start
all of those apps. When the machine is booted to Win2k, it takes
12 seconds to start just MS IE. If I were to start IE, Outlook
Express, a calendar, and an addressbook all at once under Win2k,
I suspect the startup time would be similar. I haven't booted
to Win2k in about 6 weeks; the next time I do, I'll try some
timings.

Regards,
Larry
Jim Moe
2005-06-10 21:47:27 UTC
Post by m***@gmail.com
You can't install SuSe 9.3 from CDs. Its DVD only. So you're a liar.
"To boldly go where no foot has gone before!"
The Suse 9.3 distribution comes with both DVD and CD disk sets.
--
jmm dash list (at) sohnen-moe (dot) com
(Remove .AXSPAMGN for email)
James Knott
2005-06-10 01:35:40 UTC
How did you hit enter? ;-)
tab
2005-06-10 22:39:54 UTC
This is a typical Linux idiot. No DVD burner, does not
tell which distro he has, and does not know about
pre-loading software on windows. Blames the user immediately.
Does not wait to find out the configuration. Just Flaps Lips.
I am still waiting for wrong distro, wrong graphics card,
wrong Bios Settings, and Earth titled wrong when you
installed.
Daniel Tryba
2005-06-09 23:06:57 UTC
Post by Gilbert Hochaim
I'm running on a PIV 3.0ghz with 2 gig of memory and this thing is
pitiful.
OpenOffice takes 35 seconds to start.
Hmmm, it takes 35s to start ooffice on my PIII 500 with 768Mb.
Post by Gilbert Hochaim
Firefox takes 12 seconds to start.
Just takes 6s on same machine.
Post by Gilbert Hochaim
Copying files between drives gives about 4.5mb/sec when Windows is
doing 20mb/sec+ and yes DMA is turned on,
Here is the cause of "your problems", somehow your system is
misconfigured.

[nothing new, something surely smell fishy]
Post by Gilbert Hochaim
SO WTF is wrong with this Linux? Is THIS the system that is going to
put Microsoft out of business?
Who knows? Who cares?
Post by Gilbert Hochaim
If that's the current train of thought, Microsoft must be laughing
their asses off because nobody but an idiot would hammerlock their
system back into the 90's by running this garbage.
I'm under the impression that they do take notice of Linux.

If you want to be a good troll, you should be more imaginative.
Liam Slider
2005-06-09 23:27:56 UTC
Post by Daniel Tryba
[nothing new, something surely smell fishy]
Yes, Flatfishy.

He's...

1) Complaining about SuSE.

2) Posting from Google

3) From a Yahoo email

4) Using a Korean Open Proxy server.

5) Completely making shit up.

It's *classic* Flatfish.
Jean-David Beyer
2005-06-10 11:25:59 UTC
Post by Daniel Tryba
Post by Gilbert Hochaim
I'm running on a PIV 3.0ghz with 2 gig of memory and this thing is
pitiful.
OpenOffice takes 35 seconds to start.
Hmmm, it takes 35s to start ooffice on my PIII 500 with 768Mb.
... and 17.4 seconds to start ooffice on my Dual Xeon 3060 with 4 GBytes. It
could not have been in any of the caches as I have not used ooffice since
the last reboot. Running RHEL3.
Post by Daniel Tryba
Post by Gilbert Hochaim
Firefox takes 12 seconds to start.
Just takes 6s on same machine.
... and 3.95 seconds to start.
Post by Daniel Tryba
Post by Gilbert Hochaim
Copying files between drives gives about 4.5mb/sec when Windows is
doing 20mb/sec+ and yes DMA is turned on,
Mine, for a 720,762,880 byte file, hit 127 Megabytes/sec, and averaged
around 60 MBytes/sec. This was from an EIDE hard drive to a SCSI hard drive.
Post by Daniel Tryba
Here is the cause of "your problems", somehow your system is
misconfigured.
[snip]
^^-^^ 07:15:00 up 12 days, 13:51, 3 users, load average: 4.33, 4.23, 4.26
piperut
2005-06-10 12:51:26 UTC
Post by Gilbert Hochaim
Copying files between drives gives about 4.5mb/sec when Windows is
doing 20mb/sec+ and yes DMA is turned on,
Here is the cause of "your problems", somehow your system is
misconfigured.
Some systems instead of using the "Default install" you had to select
on of the options lower down on the menu, and manully configure the
system. I had to do this with SuSe 9.1 and 9.2 on my system. With 9.3
I was now able to use the default install. So it could be he just
needs to take the time to install the system manually.

roland
Jason Bowen
2005-06-09 23:19:17 UTC
Post by Gilbert Hochaim
I'm running on a PIV 3.0ghz with 2 gig of memory and this thing is
pitiful.
OpenOffice takes 35 seconds to start.
Microsoft Office takes 4 seconds.
Microsoft has a lot of the Office libraries load at boot for faster
response time. You can do this with SUSE too.
Post by Gilbert Hochaim
Firefox takes 12 seconds to start.
Internet Explorer takes 2 seconds.
Once again, pre-loaded libraries. Once these apps are loaded subsequent
loads will take less time because of caching. This is when your 2 gigs
will shine.
Post by Gilbert Hochaim
K3b takes 6 minutes to burn a 650mb CD at a so called 32x.
Nero takes about 1.5 minutes and burns at 50x. There is no way of
changing the 32x for Linux, it keeps rejecting it.
Sounds like DMA is turned off.
Post by Gilbert Hochaim
Kontact is a slug that has serious screen repaint troubles.
It takes forever to load and when it is loading, moving the mouse
leaves all kinds of trails.
Sounds like you are using an unaccelerated video driver. Are you
running the VESA X server?
Post by Gilbert Hochaim
Copying files between drives gives about 4.5mb/sec when Windows is
doing 20mb/sec+ and yes DMA is turned on,
http://www.linuxdevcenter.com/pub/a/linux/2000/06/29/hdparm.html

Follows these tips then give the output of hdparm -tT /dev/hd? and
hdparm /dev/hd? (the question mark is replacing the hard drive letter)
Post by Gilbert Hochaim
Leaving a CD in the CDROM drive creates tons of error messaged in
/var/logs about missing sectors and so forth.
I can't burn large files to DVD, they crash although they work fine
with Nero and Windows.
SO WTF is wrong with this Linux?
Is THIS the system that is going to put Microsoft out of business?
If that's the current train of thought, Microsoft must be laughing
their asses off because nobody but an idiot would hammerlock their
system back into the 90's by running this garbage.
Glibert
Sounds like you are using unsupported hardware that is defaulting to
safe values. It is the operating sytem running more copies of Apache,
which is eating IIS's lunch. I probably just fed a troll didn't I?
Arthur Hagen
2005-06-10 00:05:11 UTC
Liam Slider
2005-06-09 23:22:51 UTC
Post by Gilbert Hochaim
I'm running on a PIV 3.0ghz with 2 gig of memory and this thing is
pitiful.
No you aren't Flatfish. Not with Linux anyway.

<snip Flatfish lies>

What don't you explain how it is that the media player Totem crashes while
it burns coasters like you claimed? Huh Flatfish? Why won't you?
j***@yahoo.com
2005-06-09 23:22:52 UTC
Don't even waste your time gilbert.
These Linux nutballs will blame you and activate a campaign attacking
your credibility and claiming you screwed up the install, yet in the
same breath they will tell noobs how easy Linux is to install.

Hey Linux kooks, ya can't have it both ways.
Seems to me the OP went well beyond the ordanairy stuff yet he is still
stuck with a slow Linux system.

The REAL TRUTH is Linux is SLOW......It is VERY SLOW....and while it
may be free that doesn't change a thing.....
Video is VERY SLOW compared to Windows because X is sluggish and
Windows runs video at Ring 0 giving VERY FAST response compared to
Linux which is SLOW.

My advice is to trash Linux and use a real OS like Win2003Server.

The time you save will be money in the bank.
Glibert
Tim Smith
2005-06-10 01:31:21 UTC
Post by j***@yahoo.com
Don't even waste your time gilbert.
When you are going to talk to yourself, it is more efficient to just
speak your message, rather than posting from one of your many names to
one of your other many names.
--Tim Smith
Jim
2005-06-10 01:46:35 UTC
Post by j***@yahoo.com
Don't even waste your time gilbert.
These Linux nutballs will blame you and activate a campaign attacking
your credibility and claiming you screwed up the install, yet in the
same breath they will tell noobs how easy Linux is to install.
insert CD, boot, qtparted, partition, knx2hd, go for coffee, come back,
log in. How *hard* is that??
Post by j***@yahoo.com
Hey Linux kooks, ya can't have it both ways.
Seems to me the OP went well beyond the ordanairy stuff yet he is still
stuck with a slow Linux system.
that's down to a: his hardware setup, and b: his configuration.
Post by j***@yahoo.com
The REAL TRUTH is Linux is SLOW......It is VERY SLOW....and while it
may be free that doesn't change a thing.....
what in the hell has it being free (not necessarily as in beer, more
along the lines of "free-dom*) got to do with anything?
Post by j***@yahoo.com
Video is VERY SLOW compared to Windows because X is sluggish and
Windows runs video at Ring 0 giving VERY FAST response compared to
Linux which is SLOW.
benchmarks?
Post by j***@yahoo.com
My advice is to trash Linux and use a real OS like Win2003Server.
ok. I'm gonna puke now.
Post by j***@yahoo.com
The time you save will be money in the bank.
now I'm puking *and* laughing my arse off! Where did you get /that/
chunk of bovine residue from?
Post by j***@yahoo.com
Post by Gilbert Hochaim
I'm running on a PIV 3.0ghz with 2 gig of memory and this thing is
pitiful.
Sorry to hear that.
Post by j***@yahoo.com
Post by Gilbert Hochaim
OpenOffice takes 35 seconds to start.
Microsoft Office takes 4 seconds.
Try installing Linux with just the analogues of what you'd find in a
base Windows install. Then install OpenOffice. Then try.
Post by j***@yahoo.com
Post by Gilbert Hochaim
Firefox takes 12 seconds to start.
Internet Explorer takes 2 seconds.
Ditto.
Bear in mind that IE is fundamentally tied to MS-Windows in such a way
that its dependencies are already resident in memory the second you're
shown the desktop.
Try Firefox on Windows, then Firefox on Linux, and give a fair comparison.
Not this FUD bullshit.
Post by j***@yahoo.com
Post by Gilbert Hochaim
K3b takes 6 minutes to burn a 650mb CD at a so called 32x.
Nero takes about 1.5 minutes and burns at 50x. There is no way of
changing the 32x for Linux, it keeps rejecting it.
In perfect conditions:

32x=4.8MB/sec=135.41sec/650MB ISO
50x=7.5MB/sec=86.6sec/650MB ISO

Where's the rest of the time gone? OK, let's be generous and double the
time to allow caching over a 100MBit network.

Where's the rest of the time gone?

OK, let's be generous and assume that you're using a ATA33 bus.

max speed possible is 33/8=4.125MB/sec

so your burner, assuming it's on a seperate channel from the source hard
disk, burns at a maximum 28.16x, on either Nero or K3B.

For a 650MB ISO, that takes 153.88sec.

A tad under three minutes.

I call bullshit on your numbers. Mine may be slightly off, too; I did
them in my head and it's nearly 3am.
Post by j***@yahoo.com
Post by Gilbert Hochaim
Kontact is a slug that has serious screen repaint troubles.
It takes forever to load and when it is loading, moving the mouse
leaves all kinds of trails.
try configuring your graphics properly, and turn off mouse trails. Other
than that, I guess that's a software bug.
Post by j***@yahoo.com
Post by Gilbert Hochaim
Copying files between drives gives about 4.5mb/sec when Windows is
doing 20mb/sec+ and yes DMA is turned on,
I get better than that copying usb-usb over LAN. What's your setup?
Post by j***@yahoo.com
Post by Gilbert Hochaim
Leaving a CD in the CDROM drive creates tons of error messaged in
/var/logs about missing sectors and so forth.
yes, that's what's supposed to happen. Linux isn't Windows, it's not
forgiving of stupidity or substandard media.
Post by j***@yahoo.com
Post by Gilbert Hochaim
I can't burn large files to DVD, they crash although they work fine
with Nero and Windows.
K3B under Knoppix/Debian requires that you configure a CDFS
partition/image before you can burn a DVD. Perhaps try this?
Post by j***@yahoo.com
Post by Gilbert Hochaim
SO WTF is wrong with this Linux?
WHICH distribution?
Post by j***@yahoo.com
Post by Gilbert Hochaim
Is THIS the system that is going to put Microsoft out of business?
That is not the intention. Linux is intended to give users a: /choice/
in what their hardware and software does for them, and b: /freedom/ to
configure their system how /they/ want it.
Post by j***@yahoo.com
Post by Gilbert Hochaim
If that's the current train of thought, Microsoft must be laughing
their asses off because nobody but an idiot would hammerlock their
system back into the 90's by running this garbage.
Glibert
WEll, can't say as I'm sorry to hear that you choose to lock yourself in
to a company that decides for you. BTW, creationism is dead. Long live
evolution!

./me takes a bow.
--
Cheers,

Jim

-begin sig-
Opinions expressed in this message may or may not be representative of
the opinions of its author. You decide.
Linux is not /user-friendly/. It *is* user-friendly. It is not
ignorant-friendly, nor is it idiot-friendly.

Web: http://www.dotware.co.uk
http://www.dotware-entertainment.co.uk

This is a battle of wits, and it is clear you are unarmed.

-end sig-
Chris Dykes
2005-06-10 06:50:12 UTC
Post by j***@yahoo.com
My advice is to trash Linux and use a real OS like Win2003Server.
Having practised your nasal anal interface with Bill Gates, perhaps you
would like to come up for air and see what a fool and a troll you look.
Jean-David Beyer
2005-06-10 11:32:51 UTC
Post by j***@yahoo.com
Don't even waste your time gilbert.
These Linux nutballs will blame you and activate a campaign attacking
your credibility and claiming you screwed up the install, yet in the
same breath they will tell noobs how easy Linux is to install.
Hey Linux kooks, ya can't have it both ways.
Seems to me the OP went well beyond the ordanairy stuff yet he is still
stuck with a slow Linux system.
I did a pretty much default install, other than leaving out a bunch of
servers (e.g., apache) that I never use. Yet, as I posted a few minutes ago,
my machine seems to do all the tasks 3x faster than the O.P.'s Windows
times. This machine does not have a CD-ROM writer, and my other one has one,
but it is on a dedicated SCSI controller, so the timings would not be
comparable.
Post by j***@yahoo.com
The REAL TRUTH is Linux is SLOW......It is VERY SLOW....and while it
may be free that doesn't change a thing.....
Video is VERY SLOW compared to Windows because X is sluggish and
Windows runs video at Ring 0 giving VERY FAST response compared to
Linux which is SLOW.
Not for me, and I did no performance tuning. The installer of my distro
(RHEL3) discovered and tuned my hardware as it saw fit. And my machine is
home made, so there is little likelyhood that they could have pre-tuned the
installer for it. It does use a stock SuperMicro X5DP8-G2 motherboard, but
AFAIK, the installer does not detect that.
^^-^^ 07:25:00 up 12 days, 14:01, 4 users, load average: 4.19, 4.26, 4.26
Shmuel (Seymour J.) Metz
2005-06-10 11:06:16 UTC
Post top don't please.

begin In <***@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com>, on
06/09/2005
Post by j***@yahoo.com
These Linux nutballs will blame you and activate a campaign attacking
your credibility
Nope, only your credibility.
Post by j***@yahoo.com
and claiming you screwed up the install, yet in the
same breath they will tell noobs how easy Linux is to install.
Sorry, tonto, but a Linux install is easy; even a pendejo like you
could do it if you RTFM. Further, must of what you quoted has nothing
to do with Linux being allegedly difficult to install.
Post by j***@yahoo.com
Hey Linux kooks, ya can't have it both ways.
Sorry, winsleaze[1], nobody was trying to "have it both ways".
Post by j***@yahoo.com
The REAL TRUTH is Linux is SLOW
The real truth is that su madre never taught you the difference
between an operating system being slow and an application being slow.
Post by j***@yahoo.com
My advice
Is worthless.
Post by j***@yahoo.com
The time you save
Is imaginary.

begin In <***@g14g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>, on
06/09/2005
Post by j***@yahoo.com
According to Linux fools, Linux is perfect
Who exist only in your head. The people actually posting to COLA do
not claim that Linux is perfect, just that it is better than the FPOS
that m$ peddles.
Post by j***@yahoo.com
and anyone who has trouble with Linux has to be a troll,
No, Mr. Barkto, but nobody that starts out cross-posting a complaint
to comp.os.linux.advocacy, alt.os.linux.suse, alt.os.windows-xp and
comp.os.linux.misc is likely to be legitimate.
Post by j***@yahoo.com
Of course they will respond saying "we don't think Linux is perfect"
but their actions speak louder than words.
You don't know their actions, and you honestly report them if you did.

[1] Must people running windoze are not sleaze; just you and the other
paid trolls.

reply to ***@library.lspace.org
chrisv
2005-06-10 15:09:10 UTC
Post by j***@yahoo.com
Don't even waste your time gilbert.
You like replying to yourself, flatfish?

*plonk*
PerfectReign
2005-06-10 15:12:17 UTC
On 9 Jun 2005 16:22:52 -0700, someone posing as ***@yahoo.com
pretended that someone gave a rat's ass and spewed out:

(top posting corrected)

<snip OP>
Post by j***@yahoo.com
Post by Gilbert Hochaim
I'm running on a PIV 3.0ghz with 2 gig of memory and this thing is
pitiful.
<snip ignorant drivel>
Post by j***@yahoo.com
My advice is to trash Linux and use a real OS like Win2003Server.
Windows has a server product? :P
--
kai - ***@yahoo.com - www.perfectreign.com

Wir werden immer laut durch's Leben ziehn, jeden Tag in jedem Jahr, und
wenn wir wirklich einmal anders sind, ist das heute noch scheißegal
Jim
2005-06-10 15:19:57 UTC
Post by PerfectReign
(top posting corrected)
<snip OP>
Post by j***@yahoo.com
My advice is to trash Linux and use a real OS like Win2003Server.
Windows has a server product? :P
I wonder, does it come with an option /not/ to install a GUI?

-end sig-
Larry Qualig
2005-06-09 23:30:50 UTC
Post by Gilbert Hochaim
OpenOffice takes 35 seconds to start.
Microsoft Office takes 4 seconds.
Firefox takes 12 seconds to start.
Internet Explorer takes 2 seconds.
I found the startup time of OO to be just slow enough as to be annoying. But
it wasn't anywhere near 35 seconds.

Firefox starts up fast enough not to matter. 1-2 seconds.

I suspect that your computer is possessed by demons and needs to be killed
with an ax.
j***@yahoo.com
2005-06-09 23:44:49 UTC
And true to form the Loonies crawl out of the woodwork just like worms.
Like I said, don't bother with these kooks.
According to Linux fools, Linux is perfect and anyone who has trouble
with Linux has to be a troll, because Linux is perfect.
Of course they will respond saying "we don't think Linux is perfect"
but their actions speak louder than words.

Again, my advice is to deep-six Linux.
It sucks.
You found this out, others do as well.
It happens every single day.
"I tried Linux and it sucks".
Very common statement from what I hear.
Glibert
Kier
2005-06-10 11:25:58 UTC
Post by j***@yahoo.com
And true to form the Loonies crawl out of the woodwork just like worms.
Like I said, don't bother with these kooks.
What kooks? I haven't noticed any kooks - apart from you, that is.
Post by j***@yahoo.com
According to Linux fools, Linux is perfect and anyone who has trouble
with Linux has to be a troll, because Linux is perfect.
No one ever said it was perfect. That would be foolish, as well as
impossible. Nothing in this world is perfect, the Universe doesn't allow
it.
Post by j***@yahoo.com
Of course they will respond saying "we don't think Linux is perfect"
but their actions speak louder than words.
And, like, what actions would those be? You mean, like, actually,
genuinely using Linux, happily and productively day after day? Those sort
of actions?
Post by j***@yahoo.com
Again, my advice is to deep-six Linux.
No one asked you for advice, troll.
Post by j***@yahoo.com
It sucks.
Wrong. It may not suit all users, but that's not a problem for those of us
who *do* use it.
Post by j***@yahoo.com
You found this out, others do as well.
No, he didn't find it out. He, like you, is a lying troll. SUSE 9.3 is in
fact significantly faster than its predecessors. If fact, it's so good
I've been tempted to switch to it on one of my machines
Post by j***@yahoo.com
It happens every single day.
Does it? Where? Care to name those places?
Post by j***@yahoo.com
"I tried Linux and it sucks".
Very common statement from what I hear.
You hear nothing. Just the sound of the wind blowing through the hole in
your head.

(Cross-posts removed)
Kier
Gilbert Hochaim
2005-06-09 23:50:06 UTC
I guess I was warned about what rabid Linux wackos I would be
attracting by posting a negative Linux message.
It's too bad the Linux community is so polarized and narrow mindeded
not to mention nasty.

I'll say one thing, I will NEVER, NEVER, NEVER, suggest Linux to ANYONE
simply because I have seen what a bunch of assholes the Linux
supporters really are and you can take that to the bank.
Glibert
m***@gmail.com
2005-06-10 00:16:49 UTC
Please, you want polite then you be polite. You come here posting
stupid drivel, you'll get what you deserve. Your problem wasn't a
linux problem, you showed that yourself by saying Ubuntu runs
Post by Gilbert Hochaim
like a rocket
Ubuntu is linux. So by posting that its a linux problem, you're
posting drivel.
Kier
2005-06-10 11:30:26 UTC
Post by Gilbert Hochaim
I guess I was warned about what rabid Linux wackos I would be
attracting by posting a negative Linux message.
You posted a lying troll, designed to insult Linux and its users.
Post by Gilbert Hochaim
It's too bad the Linux community is so polarized and narrow mindeded
not to mention nasty.
When you cross-post a load of lies and nonsense about Linux, why should
you expect us to be nice to you?
Post by Gilbert Hochaim
I'll say one thing, I will NEVER, NEVER, NEVER, suggest Linux to ANYONE
simply because I have seen what a bunch of assholes the Linux
supporters really are and you can take that to the bank.
Any bank that accepted your custom deserves all it gets. We are not
assholes. You know that perfectly well, but you just like getting your
jollies with this stupid, tired, boooooring trollcrap.

(cross-posting removed)
Kier
Linønut
2005-06-10 11:48:55 UTC
Post by Gilbert Hochaim
I guess I was warned about what rabid Linux wackos I would be
attracting by posting a negative Linux message.
It's too bad the Linux community is so polarized and narrow mindeded
not to mention nasty.
I'll say one thing, I will NEVER, NEVER, NEVER, suggest Linux to ANYONE
simply because I have seen what a bunch of assholes the Linux
supporters really are and you can take that to the bank.
Before complaining about the mote in other's eyes, you need to remove
the beam from your own.

Idiot.
Ku Karlovsky
2005-06-10 19:12:09 UTC
On 9 Jun 2005 16:50:06 -0700, "Gilbert Hochaim"
Post by Gilbert Hochaim
I'll say one thing, I will NEVER, NEVER, NEVER, suggest Linux to ANYONE
I'll say another thing. We will NEVER, NEVER, NEVER, suggest to
ANYONE that Flatfish be taken seriously.
Ku Karlovsky
2005-06-10 02:02:47 UTC
On 9 Jun 2005 15:46:11 -0700, "Gilbert Hochaim"
Post by Gilbert Hochaim
I'm running on a PIV 3.0ghz with 2 gig of memory and this thing is
pitiful.
I'm sorry to hear you're suffering a Piscine Immunodeficiency Virus
(PIV) infection. I understand there's still no cure.
Kier
2005-06-10 10:55:28 UTC
Post by Gilbert Hochaim
I'm running on a PIV 3.0ghz with 2 gig of memory and this thing is
pitiful.
OpenOffice takes 35 seconds to start.
Eight seconds. I timed it twice. On an AMD Duron 900mhz with only 768 meg
of memory. Something tells me you're a liar.
Post by Gilbert Hochaim
Microsoft Office takes 4 seconds.
Firefox takes 12 seconds to start.
Three seconds tops - and this machine isn't anything special, like I said.
Post by Gilbert Hochaim
Internet Explorer takes 2 seconds.
K3b takes 6 minutes to burn a 650mb CD at a so called 32x.
I just burned a CD at that speed and it took about two minutes.
Post by Gilbert Hochaim
Nero takes about 1.5 minutes and burns at 50x. There is no way of
changing the 32x for Linux, it keeps rejecting it.
Problem with your drive, most likely. Perhaps 32x is a safer speed.
Post by Gilbert Hochaim
Kontact is a slug that has serious screen repaint troubles.
It takes forever to load and when it is loading, moving the mouse
leaves all kinds of trails.
Never used it.
Post by Gilbert Hochaim
Copying files between drives gives about 4.5mb/sec when Windows is
doing 20mb/sec+ and yes DMA is turned on,
Leaving a CD in the CDROM drive creates tons of error messaged in
/var/logs about missing sectors and so forth.
Does it? I hadn't noticed.
Post by Gilbert Hochaim
I can't burn large files to DVD, they crash although they work fine
with Nero and Windows.
Liar.
Post by Gilbert Hochaim
SO WTF is wrong with this Linux?
Nothing. Well, a few things, same as any OS. But certainly few or none of
the things you mentioned, since you almost certainly made them up out of
whole cloth.
Post by Gilbert Hochaim
Is THIS the system that is going to put Microsoft out of business?
IMO, doubtful. MS is too big and widespread for that. But it's going to
make a dent, along with a lot of other open source stuff. Which is all
that's really needed.
Post by Gilbert Hochaim
If that's the current train of thought, Microsoft must be laughing
their asses off because nobody but an idiot would hammerlock their
system back into the 90's by running this garbage.
Linux is not garbage. And MS seem to be very worried by it, not laughing
at all. Maybe you should get your facts straight before you post
nonsense and make yourself look a fool, as well as a liar.

You see, play, we've heard all this rubbish before, and it's getting
reallllly old and stale now. At least come up with something original if
you're going to lie about one of the best distros around.

(Cross-posting removed)
Kier
Sinister Midget
2005-06-10 11:39:02 UTC
begin KillFileMe.vbs
Post by Gilbert Hochaim
I can't burn large files to DVD, they crash although they work fine
with Nero and Windows.
Liar.
Maybe Flathead should try mailing the large DVD file instead of burning
it. That would much more convenient to the clueless old lady on the
receiving end.
Bagle: Innovative Microsoft peer-to-peer software.
William Poaster
2005-06-10 12:40:57 UTC
begin OEKillFileMe.vbs It was on Fri, 10 Jun 2005 11:39:02 +0000, that
Post by Sinister Midget
begin KillFileMe.vbs
Post by Gilbert Hochaim
I can't burn large files to DVD, they crash although they work fine
with Nero and Windows.
Liar.
Maybe Flathead should try mailing the large DVD file instead of burning
it. That would much more convenient to the clueless old lady on the
receiving end.
Then he'd have to tell her to put it into the coffecup holder, the one
marked DvD.
--
When I hear of a long time smoker dying of lung cancer
I think "That's too bad, but they made their choices".
I think the same thing. -- Anon
Kier
2005-06-10 12:51:04 UTC
Post by Sinister Midget
begin KillFileMe.vbs
Post by Gilbert Hochaim
I can't burn large files to DVD, they crash although they work fine
with Nero and Windows.
Liar.
Maybe Flathead should try mailing the large DVD file instead of burning
it. That would much more convenient to the clueless old lady on the
receiving end.
:-) I'd forgotten about that one!
Kier
William Poaster
2005-06-10 12:36:30 UTC
begin OEKillFileMe.vbs It was on Thu, 09 Jun 2005 15:46:11 -0700, that
Post by Kier
(Cross-posting removed)
You haven't got a clue. Go back & play with your toy OS.
I think the same thing. -- Anon
Arkady Duntov
2005-06-10 19:09:08 UTC
Post by Kier
Post by Gilbert Hochaim
I'm running on a PIV 3.0ghz with 2 gig of memory and this thing is
pitiful.
OpenOffice takes 35 seconds to start.
Eight seconds. I timed it twice. On an AMD Duron 900mhz with only 768 meg
of memory. Something tells me you're a liar.
$ time oowriter

real 0m14.055s
user 0m3.263s
sys 0m0.278
$

14 seconds from the time I press Enter until the time I click the close
button. That's a little more than the actual "time to start".
Post by Kier
Post by Gilbert Hochaim
Firefox takes 12 seconds to start.
Three seconds tops - and this machine isn't anything special, like I said.
$ time firefox

real 0m2.784s
user 0m1.400s
sys 0m0.093s
$
Athlon 2500+ (~1.867 GHz), 1 GB RAM.
Linønut
Fucking idiot.
S.Heenan
2005-06-10 12:09:36 UTC
Post by Linønut
--
Fucking idiot.
Shiny new sig.

Very clever.
PerfectReign
2005-06-10 14:02:36 UTC
On 9 Jun 2005 15:46:11 -0700, someone posing as Gilbert Hochaim pretended
Post by Gilbert Hochaim
I'm running on a PIV 3.0ghz with 2 gig of memory and this thing is
pitiful.
Although you're a troll (and I saw the exact same message for 9.1 and 9.2,
I'll reply. (I'm still on 9.2 running on an Athlon XP2400 with 512MB.)
Post by Gilbert Hochaim
OpenOffice takes 35 seconds to start.
Interesting - OOo (Write) took 8 seconds to open a MS Word Document.
Post by Gilbert Hochaim
Microsoft Office takes 4 seconds.
MS Word (under CX Office) took 26 seconds to load same document.
Post by Gilbert Hochaim
Firefox takes 12 seconds to start.
Firefox (1.0.3) takes four seconds from click to displaying my home page(
slashdot.org )
Post by Gilbert Hochaim
Internet Explorer takes 2 seconds.
Internet Explorer 6 (under CX Office) takes roubhly 62 seconds to load and
display my default page (about:blank).
Post by Gilbert Hochaim
K3b takes 6 minutes to burn a 650mb CD at a so called 32x.
Nero takes about 1.5 minutes and burns at 50x. There is no way of
changing the 32x for Linux, it keeps rejecting it.
I never burn faster than 24x so I can't comment. Also on Windows I have
Roxio, so I don't use Nero.
Post by Gilbert Hochaim
Leaving a CD in the CDROM drive creates tons of error messaged in
/var/logs about missing sectors and so forth.
Sounds like a hardware problem. I don't have a file called logs under the
var folder. I do have a folder, called, log, which has a file called
messages.

This file has a bunch of stuff probably related to my using VPN and RDC to
get to my work systems.
Post by Gilbert Hochaim
I can't burn large files to DVD, they crash although they work fine
with Nero and Windows.
Um, I burn DVD's all the time. At least once a week I back up my entire
systeem to two DVD's using KDAR and K3B.
Post by Gilbert Hochaim
SO WTF is wrong with this Linux?
What part of Linux is wrong? Nothing. You're talking about Suse, which runs
on top of Linux.
Post by Gilbert Hochaim
Is THIS the system that is going to put Microsoft out of business?
Nah, I doubt it. There'll be enough sheep to use MS Products for years to
come.

HTH!

Bernd Felsche
2005-06-10 15:36:12 UTC
Post by Gilbert Hochaim
I'm running on a PIV 3.0ghz with 2 gig of memory and this thing is
pitiful.
Never mind. Bad tradesmen always blame their tools.
Post by Gilbert Hochaim
Microsoft Office takes 4 seconds.
MS Word (under CX Office) took 26 seconds to load same document.
How long does it take MS Word to open an OpenOffice document? :-)
\ / ASCII ribbon campaign | I'm a .signature virus!
X against HTML mail | Copy me into your ~/.signature
/ \ and postings | to help me spread!
Jim

-end sig-
PerfectReign
2005-06-10 16:57:31 UTC
On Fri, 10 Jun 2005 16:04:26 GMT, someone posing as Jim pretended that
Post by Jim
Post by Gilbert Hochaim
Microsoft Office takes 4 seconds.
MS Word (under CX Office) took 26 seconds to load same document.
How long does it take MS Word to open an OpenOffice document? :-)
Rimshot!
LOL!!

I think I'll have to post a support question for Microsoft...

PerfectReign
2005-06-10 18:23:19 UTC
Post by Jim
Post by Gilbert Hochaim
Microsoft Office takes 4 seconds.
MS Word (under CX Office) took 26 seconds to load same document.
How long does it take MS Word to open an OpenOffice document? :-)
Rimshot!
We'll see if I get an answer to this one...

chrisv
2005-06-10 15:07:00 UTC
(snip troll)
*plonk*
ray
Is DMA and 32-bit mode enabled on the hard disk?
Alan Hughes
2005-06-10 15:24:33 UTC
Post by Gilbert Hochaim
I'm running on a PIV 3.0ghz with 2 gig of memory and this thing is
pitiful.
OpenOffice takes 35 seconds to start.
Microsoft Office takes 4 seconds.
Microsoft office DLLs are pre-loaded into the system on boot. Therefore the
2 seconds is the time it takes to initialise the application after its
loaded from disk. Speaking as a software engineer, 4 seconds is *way* too
slow.
Post by Gilbert Hochaim
Firefox takes 12 seconds to start.
Internet Explorer takes 2 seconds.
Same as MS Office - IE is pre-loaded on boot.
Post by Gilbert Hochaim
K3b takes 6 minutes to burn a 650mb CD at a so called 32x.
Nero takes about 1.5 minutes and burns at 50x. There is no way of
changing the 32x for Linux, it keeps rejecting it.
That's funny, I see the opposite problem - Windows burns CDs slower!
Post by Gilbert Hochaim
Kontact is a slug that has serious screen repaint troubles.
It takes forever to load and when it is loading, moving the mouse
leaves all kinds of trails.
Copying files between drives gives about 4.5mb/sec when Windows is
doing 20mb/sec+ and yes DMA is turned on,
Leaving a CD in the CDROM drive creates tons of error messaged in
/var/logs about missing sectors and so forth.
Thats means you have a bad CD. Of course Windows does not use system logs,
so if you have a problem you are on your own.
Post by Gilbert Hochaim
I can't burn large files to DVD, they crash although they work fine
with Nero and Windows.
Not seen that here, just burnt a DVD as a back-up.
Post by Gilbert Hochaim
SO WTF is wrong with this Linux?
Nothing. YOU are the problem. Just like all trolls, you get the basic facts
wrong and expect us to worry. Get a life.
Can't even spell his own name write. Typical Windows luser.
S.Heenan
2005-06-10 15:55:10 UTC
Post by Alan Hughes
Can't even spell his own name write. Typical Windows luser.
^^^^^^^^

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH