[OT] Make Windows 8.1.1 look like Win7 or XP Legal and for free
Marti van Lin
2014-12-27 00:27:02 UTC
I came across a easy how-to, how to make the Windows 8.1.1 desktop look
like Windows 7 or XP, fully legal and at no cost.

http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/make-windows-8-8-1-look-like-windows-7-xp/

Here is a screenshot of my current Windows 8.1.1. Desktop:

|_|0|_| Marti T. van Lin (alias ML2MST)
|_|_|0| Computer enthusiast and Amateur musician
Peter Köhlmann
2014-12-27 00:40:08 UTC
Post by Marti van Lin
I came across a easy how-to, how to make the Windows 8.1.1 desktop look
like Windows 7 or XP, fully legal and at no cost.
http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/make-windows-8-8-1-look-like-windows-7-xp/
http://i1057.photobucket.com/albums/t382/ml2mst2/Win817.jpg
Actually, who cares?

Win8 in all its ugly incantations is just shitty MS-bullshit
taxalot
2014-12-27 09:05:10 UTC
Post by Peter Köhlmann
Win8 in all its ugly incantations is just shitty MS-bullshit
With a classic start menu application, I actually find it about as
usable and reliable as Windows 7. I only boot into it when some gaming
is due, but at least it performs better than Linux with my AMD.

-Taxalot
Chris Ahlstrom
2014-12-27 18:05:16 UTC
Post by taxalot
Post by Peter Köhlmann
Win8 in all its ugly incantations is just shitty MS-bullshit
With a classic start menu application, I actually find it about as
usable and reliable as Windows 7. I only boot into it when some gaming
is due, but at least it performs better than Linux with my AMD.
Sure it does. <rolls eyes>
This is not an offer to sell securities.
Peter Köhlmann
2014-12-27 19:51:48 UTC
Post by Chris Ahlstrom
Post by taxalot
Post by Peter Köhlmann
Win8 in all its ugly incantations is just shitty MS-bullshit
With a classic start menu application, I actually find it about as
usable and reliable as Windows 7. I only boot into it when some gaming
is due, but at least it performs better than Linux with my AMD.
Sure it does. <rolls eyes>
Well, it certainly does. It excutes all that magnificient malware
flawlessly. Try that on linux...
Marti van Lin
2014-12-28 05:45:40 UTC
Post by Chris Ahlstrom
Post by taxalot
Post by Peter Köhlmann
Win8 in all its ugly incantations is just shitty MS-bullshit
With a classic start menu application, I actually find it about as
usable and reliable as Windows 7. I only boot into it when some gaming
is due, but at least it performs better than Linux with my AMD.
Sure it does. <rolls eyes>
That most certainly isn't the case up here. Ubuntu Linux needs only 6
seconds to boot into a responsive Cinnamon desktop. Windows 8.1.1 needs
4 minutes on my machine.

Another downside of Windows is that the majority of applications are
still 32-bit.
flatfish+++
2014-12-28 15:45:04 UTC
Post by Marti van Lin
Post by Chris Ahlstrom
Post by taxalot
Post by Peter Köhlmann
Win8 in all its ugly incantations is just shitty MS-bullshit
With a classic start menu application, I actually find it about as
usable and reliable as Windows 7. I only boot into it when some gaming
is due, but at least it performs better than Linux with my AMD.
Sure it does. <rolls eyes>
That most certainly isn't the case up here. Ubuntu Linux needs only 6
seconds to boot into a responsive Cinnamon desktop. Windows 8.1.1 needs
4 minutes on my machine.
Another downside of Windows is that the majority of applications are
still 32-bit.
4 minutes?
Something is wrong Marti.

What kind of machine?
--
flatfish+++

Linux: The Operating System That Put The City Of Munich Out Of
Business.
Before Switching To Linux Read This:
http://linuxfonts.narod.ru/why.linux.is.not.ready.for.the.desktop.current.html
Marti van Lin
2014-12-30 11:24:31 UTC
Post by flatfish+++
Post by Marti van Lin
Post by Chris Ahlstrom
Post by taxalot
Post by Peter Köhlmann
Win8 in all its ugly incantations is just shitty MS-bullshit
With a classic start menu application, I actually find it about as
usable and reliable as Windows 7. I only boot into it when some gaming
is due, but at least it performs better than Linux with my AMD.
Sure it does. <rolls eyes>
That most certainly isn't the case up here. Ubuntu Linux needs only 6
seconds to boot into a responsive Cinnamon desktop. Windows 8.1.1 needs
4 minutes on my machine.
Another downside of Windows is that the majority of applications are
still 32-bit.
4 minutes?
Something is wrong Marti.
I've checked everything out. Defragment the ntfs partitions frequently
and reduced the number of startup applications to a minimum and the
system is always up to date.
Post by flatfish+++
What kind of machine?
An Intel Core i3 (3-th generation) two cores, 4 threads @ 3.30 GHz, 8 GB
RAM.

I'm running Windows 8.1.1 on bare metal *not in a VM*.

If I shut down Windows and boot Windows again the day after, this is not
the case, because Windows 8.1.1 does not actually shut down, it hibernates.

However, if I want to boot Ubuntu, I need to "restart" from Windows.
other wise I'm not able to mount the /Data partition (the ntfs partition
which is called D: on Windows).

After using Ubuntu, booting Windows 8.1.1 takes for minutes, as showed
in this video, made with my cellphone (Southern Dutch spoken):

My HDD is (extracted from HWInfo) a:

Seagate ST2000DL003-9VT166

Drive Controller:
Serial ATA 6Gb/s @ 3Gb/s

Drive Revision:
CC45

Drive Capacity:
1,907,729 MBytes (2000 GB)

Media Rotation Rate: 5900 RPM

I don't think there is anything wrong with my hardware, nor the "health"
of my Windows 8.1.1.

I think Microsoft was trying to avoid dualboot on Windows 8 > with UEFI
and Hibernating.

I have high hopes Satya Nandella will change the course the coming years.
Chris Ahlstrom
2014-12-30 12:53:57 UTC
Post by Marti van Lin
I have high hopes Satya Nandella will change the course the coming years.
You have to be high to hope that! :-)
--
It is illegal to drive more than two thousand sheep down Hollywood
Boulevard at one time.
William Poaster
2014-12-30 13:30:59 UTC
Post by Chris Ahlstrom
Post by Marti van Lin
I have high hopes Satya Nandella will change the course the coming years.
You have to be high to hope that! :-)
Never heard of him.
<Looks up in Google>
Oh, M$, that's why I've not heard of him.
--
openSUSE 13.2 64-bit
KDE 4.14.3

Why NOT to donate to Wikipedia.
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2012/12/20/cash_rich_wikipedia_chugging/
http://mywikibiz.com/Top_10_Reasons_Not_to_Donate_to_Wikipedia
flatfish+++
2014-12-30 14:13:45 UTC
Post by William Poaster
Post by Chris Ahlstrom
Post by Marti van Lin
I have high hopes Satya Nandella will change the course the coming years.
You have to be high to hope that! :-)
Never heard of him.
<Looks up in Google>
Oh, M$, that's why I've not heard of him.
You've probably gone and filtered the entire Internet again, Dumb
William Poaster.

DFS
You never heard of him because you're uninformed and kind of dumb.
Marti van Lin
2014-12-30 19:13:29 UTC
Post by Chris Ahlstrom
Post by Marti van Lin
I have high hopes Satya Nandella will change the course the coming years.
You have to be high to hope that! :-)
How so? Microsoft already ditched SecureBoot in Windows (10) Technical
Preview. You'll have to turn UEFI off in the VM if you want to run
Windows Technical Preview in a VM.

The same applies to bare metal. I have two choices in de "Advanced" Menu
of my AMD EFI/BIOS settings, under Operating System: Windows 8 (Default)
and Windows 7 and others.

To be able to even boot Windows Technical Preview from a USB stick, I
must set it to Windows 7 and others. If I set it to Windows 8, it won't
even boot at all.

Beside that Microsoft is already partnering with Linux distributions.
Debian, CentOS, Oracle Linux and Ubuntu are supported under Hyper-V.

Thus the change already started.
Chris Ahlstrom
2014-12-30 19:57:38 UTC
Post by Marti van Lin
Post by Chris Ahlstrom
Post by Marti van Lin
I have high hopes Satya Nandella will change the course the coming years.
You have to be high to hope that! :-)
How so?
Just teasing you, bro.
Post by Marti van Lin
Microsoft already ditched SecureBoot in Windows (10) Technical
Preview. You'll have to turn UEFI off in the VM if you want to run
Windows Technical Preview in a VM.
Cool. But perhaps they "ditched" it just for the Technical Preview,
to make it simpler to try out.
Post by Marti van Lin
The same applies to bare metal. I have two choices in de "Advanced" Menu
of my AMD EFI/BIOS settings, under Operating System: Windows 8 (Default)
and Windows 7 and others.
To be able to even boot Windows Technical Preview from a USB stick, I
must set it to Windows 7 and others. If I set it to Windows 8, it won't
even boot at all.
Beside that Microsoft is already partnering with Linux distributions.
Debian, CentOS, Oracle Linux and Ubuntu are supported under Hyper-V.
Thus the change already started.
It will be awhile before the non-Microsoft world sheds its distrust of
company-killer, standards-breaker, patent-troll Microsoft.
What I need is a MATURE RELATIONSHIP with a FLOPPY DISK ...
Tattoo Vampire
2014-12-31 05:16:33 UTC
Post by Chris Ahlstrom
It will be awhile before the non-Microsoft world sheds its distrust of
company-killer, standards-breaker, patent-troll Microsoft.
I think Ballmer was pretty much the last of the old guard at MS. Maybe a
leopard can change its spots.

The new guy would convince more people that things are different if MS
would stop shaking down Android phone makers. ;-)
chrisv
2014-12-31 12:42:58 UTC
Post by Tattoo Vampire
Post by Chris Ahlstrom
It will be awhile before the non-Microsoft world sheds its distrust of
company-killer, standards-breaker, patent-troll Microsoft.
Oh, you just don't like them because they are "successful".

According to lying fsckwits defending their masters, anyway.
Post by Tattoo Vampire
I think Ballmer was pretty much the last of the old guard at MS. Maybe a
leopard can change its spots.
The new guy would convince more people that things are different if MS
would stop shaking down Android phone makers. ;-)
Not a chance. I don't think he rose to the top of the Evilsoft Corp
by being a nice guy...
--
"Translation - 75% of the Linux kernel is now effectively controlled
by corporate America." - trolling fsckwit "Ezekiel"
flatfish+++
2014-12-31 03:57:42 UTC
Post by Marti van Lin
Post by flatfish+++
Post by Marti van Lin
Post by Chris Ahlstrom
Post by taxalot
Post by Peter Köhlmann
Win8 in all its ugly incantations is just shitty MS-bullshit
With a classic start menu application, I actually find it about as
usable and reliable as Windows 7. I only boot into it when some gaming
is due, but at least it performs better than Linux with my AMD.
Sure it does. <rolls eyes>
That most certainly isn't the case up here. Ubuntu Linux needs only 6
seconds to boot into a responsive Cinnamon desktop. Windows 8.1.1 needs
4 minutes on my machine.
Another downside of Windows is that the majority of applications are
still 32-bit.
4 minutes?
Something is wrong Marti.
I've checked everything out. Defragment the ntfs partitions frequently
and reduced the number of startup applications to a minimum and the
system is always up to date.
What kind of machine?
http://youtu.be/UsEQAZrn-Zw
Seagate ST2000DL003-9VT166
CC45
1,907,729 MBytes (2000 GB)
Media Rotation Rate: 5900 RPM
I don't think there is anything wrong with my hardware, nor the "health"
of my Windows 8.1.1.
I think Microsoft was trying to avoid dualboot on Windows 8 > with UEFI
and Hibernating.
I have high hopes Satya Nandella will change the course the coming years.
That video says Windows Updates.....
Granted, Windows 8.x updates take forever even on my i7 system.
I'm not sure why but they do..

Anyway, assuming this happens after each reboot to Ubuntu, is it
possible that Windows is getting confused by Grub or whatever Ubuntu
is doing to the MBR?

Sounds to me like Linux is somehow confusing Windows because a 4
minute boot is insanely slow.

I have UFEI or whatever it's called disabled in my BIOS as well as
having the "fast start" disabled as well (So I can test Linux) and my
machine boots Windows 8.1 in less than 30 seconds and I have a lot of
stuff loading like iLok, Synchrosoft etc for my DAW programs.

Peter Köhlmann
2014-12-31 09:05:22 UTC
Post by flatfish+++
Post by Marti van Lin
Post by flatfish+++
Post by Marti van Lin
Post by Chris Ahlstrom
Post by flatfish+++
[...]
No. It is just the fact that windows can't hibernate and instead must do a
real cold boot
flatfish+++
2014-12-31 15:48:42 UTC
Post by Peter Köhlmann
Post by flatfish+++
Post by Marti van Lin
Post by flatfish+++
Post by Marti van Lin
Post by Chris Ahlstrom
Post by flatfish+++
[...]
My machine does a cold boot every time and takes 30 seconds.
Blame Linux.

Slimer
2014-12-29 02:46:26 UTC
Post by Chris Ahlstrom
Post by taxalot
Post by Peter Köhlmann
Win8 in all its ugly incantations is just shitty MS-bullshit
With a classic start menu application, I actually find it about as
usable and reliable as Windows 7. I only boot into it when some gaming
is due, but at least it performs better than Linux with my AMD.
Sure it does. <rolls eyes>
Exactly. It's absolutely _impossible_ that Windows would perform better
than GNU/Linux at *anything*. Anyone claiming otherwise is a liar.
--
Slimer
OpenMedia, Wikipedia & Hope for Paws Supporter
Snit
2014-12-29 04:56:08 UTC
Post by Slimer
Post by Chris Ahlstrom
Post by taxalot
Post by Peter Köhlmann
Win8 in all its ugly incantations is just shitty MS-bullshit
With a classic start menu application, I actually find it about as
usable and reliable as Windows 7. I only boot into it when some gaming
is due, but at least it performs better than Linux with my AMD.
Sure it does. <rolls eyes>
Exactly. It's absolutely _impossible_ that Windows would perform better
than GNU/Linux at *anything*. Anyone claiming otherwise is a liar.
Exactly!
--
* Mint MATE Trash, Panel, Menu:

* Mint KDE bugs or Easter eggs?

* Mint KDE working with folders:

* Mint KDE creating files:

* Mint KDE help:

* Mint KDE general navigation:

* Mavericks / Pages 5.1:

* OS / Word Processor Comparison:

John Gohde
2014-12-27 11:55:56 UTC
Post by Peter Köhlmann
Post by Marti van Lin
I came across a easy how-to, how to make the Windows 8.1.1 desktop look
like Windows 7 or XP, fully legal and at no cost.
http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/make-windows-8-8-1-look-like-windows-7-xp/
http://i1057.photobucket.com/albums/t382/ml2mst2/Win817.jpg
Actually, who cares?
Win8 in all its ugly incantations is just shitty MS-bullshit
What is the difference between Köhlmann-bullshit and MS-bullshit? Tell us.

People with inquiring minds want to see this fool sweat some.
RonB
2015-01-03 03:40:35 UTC
Post by Peter Köhlmann
Post by Marti van Lin
I came across a easy how-to, how to make the Windows 8.1.1 desktop look
like Windows 7 or XP, fully legal and at no cost.
http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/make-windows-8-8-1-look-like-windows-7-xp/
http://i1057.photobucket.com/albums/t382/ml2mst2/Win817.jpg
Actually, who cares?
Win8 in all its ugly incantations is just shitty MS-bullshit
The real trick would be to get Windows 8.1 to be secure and work like
Linux.

(Not going to happen.)
--
Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank.
Give a man a bank and he can rob the world.
Slimer
2015-01-03 04:24:48 UTC
Post by RonB
Post by Peter Köhlmann
http://i1057.photobucket.com/albums/t382/ml2mst2/Win817.jpg
Actually, who cares?
Win8 in all its ugly incantations is just shitty MS-bullshit
The real trick would be to get Windows 8.1 to be secure and work like
Linux.
(Not going to happen.)
With good reason: Microsoft wants to sell software.

GNU/Linux can't be given away for free, why would any corporation wants =
to =

emulate its failure?

-- =

Slimer
OpenMedia Supporter and SPCA Paw Partner
alt.support.heartburn
2015-01-03 05:28:06 UTC
GNU/Linux can't be given away for free, why would any corporation wants to
emulate its failure?
--
Slimer
OpenMedia Supporter and SPCA Paw Partner
Oracle perhaps? Though it seems unfocused and deserving of
being sued on some fronts (for example Oregon), IMO.

CEO steps down................................Trig
Peter Köhlmann
2015-01-03 08:57:30 UTC
Post by Slimer
Post by RonB
Post by Peter Köhlmann
Post by Marti van Lin
I came across a easy how-to, how to make the Windows 8.1.1 desktop look
like Windows 7 or XP, fully legal and at no cost.
http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/make-windows-8-8-1-look-like-windows-7-xp/
http://i1057.photobucket.com/albums/t382/ml2mst2/Win817.jpg
Actually, who cares?
Win8 in all its ugly incantations is just shitty MS-bullshit
The real trick would be to get Windows 8.1 to be secure and work like
Linux.
(Not going to happen.)
With good reason: Microsoft wants to sell software.
GNU/Linux can't be given away for free, why would any corporation wants to
emulate its failure?
In short: You are stupid enough to call security a "failure".
After all, the AV companies can't sell their stuff to linux users. They have
no need for that shite
William Poaster
2015-01-03 09:45:13 UTC
Post by Peter Köhlmann
Post by Slimer
Post by RonB
Post by Peter Köhlmann
Post by Marti van Lin
I came across a easy how-to, how to make the Windows 8.1.1 desktop look
like Windows 7 or XP, fully legal and at no cost.
http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/make-windows-8-8-1-look-like-windows-7-xp/
http://i1057.photobucket.com/albums/t382/ml2mst2/Win817.jpg
Actually, who cares?
Win8 in all its ugly incantations is just shitty MS-bullshit
The real trick would be to get Windows 8.1 to be secure and work like
Linux.
(Not going to happen.)
With good reason: Microsoft wants to sell software.
GNU/Linux can't be given away for free, why would any corporation wants to
emulate its failure?
In short: You are stupid enough to call security a "failure".
After all, the AV companies can't sell their stuff to linux users. They have
no need for that shite
SLIEmball also sticks to the wintroll mantra of "GNU/Linux can't be given
away for free", which is pure bullshit.
These trolls really ought to get some new scriptwriters.

Slimer
2015-01-03 15:48:05 UTC
Post by Peter Köhlmann
Post by Peter Köhlmann
Post by Peter Köhlmann
Post by Peter Köhlmann
have
no need for that shite
SLIEmball also sticks to the wintroll mantra of "GNU/Linux can't be gi=
ven
away for free", which is pure bullshit.
These trolls really ought to get some new scriptwriters.
Pig, the market share speaks for itself: less than 1.5%. The Linux =

succeeds on its own when it is invisible to the user (in embedded device=
s) =

or when it is accompanied by a GUI developed by a powerful corporation =

(Android) but GNU/Linux the form that is free of charge and downloadable=
=

by all is a failure which can't be given away for free.

No amount of lipstick on your pig face will change that fact.

-- =

flatfish+++
2015-01-03 15:53:54 UTC
Post by Slimer
Post by William Poaster
Post by Peter Köhlmann
Post by Slimer
Post by RonB
Post by Peter Köhlmann
Post by Marti van Lin
[...]
True statement.
Post by Slimer
No amount of lipstick on your pig face will change that fact.
But Chris Ahlstrom likes him.

lol!

Slimer
2015-01-03 16:06:57 UTC
On Sat, 03 Jan 2015 10:53:54 -0500, flatfish+++ <***@yahoo.com> =
=
Post by flatfish+++
Post by Slimer
Post by Peter Köhlmann
Post by flatfish+++
Post by Slimer
Post by Peter Köhlmann
Post by flatfish+++
Post by Slimer
Post by Peter Köhlmann
Post by flatfish+++
Post by Slimer
Post by flatfish+++
Post by Slimer
No amount of lipstick on your pig face will change that fact.
But Chris Ahlstrom likes him.
Chris Ahlstrom likes anything that'll open its legs for him. It doesn't =
=

matter what gender or race that it is, nor its planet of origin.

-- =

Nobody
http://investors.redhat.com/financials-statements.cfm
Slimer
2015-01-04 16:11:10 UTC
Post by Nobody
Post by Peter Köhlmann
Post by Nobody
Post by Peter Köhlmann
Post by Nobody
Post by Peter Köhlmann
Post by Nobody
Post by Peter Köhlmann
Post by Slimer
Linux.
(Not going to happen.)
With good reason: Microsoft wants to sell software.
GNU/Linux can't be given away for free, why would any corporation =
wants to
emulate its failure?
In short: You are stupid enough to call security a "failure".
After all, the AV companies can't sell their stuff to linux users. =
They have
no need for that shite
SLIEmball also sticks to the wintroll mantra of "GNU/Linux can't be =
given
away for free", which is pure bullshit.
These trolls really ought to get some new scriptwriters.
http://investors.redhat.com/financials-statements.cfm
The fact that a GNU/Linux company which provides _support_ makes money h=
as =

nothing to do with the fact that numerous distributions which come with =
=

*NO* support can't be given away for free. Redhat sells to companies whi=
ch =

want a solution for their needs and it becomes Redhat's job to make sure=
=

that the solution is deployed properly and maintained for as long as tha=
t =

company pays the bills. Compare that to a distribution which is =

downloadable for free, installed by the user who doesn't necessarily kno=
w =

what he's doing, the hardware doesn't work right and NOBODY helps him. =

It's two different scenarios.

Meanwhile, Windows and OS X can easily be installed even by a user who =

doesn't really know what he's doing and he knows that he can call the =

company for support in the event of a problem. THAT is why Windows and O=
S =

X succeed and GNU/Linux doesn't... unless it's accompanied by a =

corporation which is willing to help the user through every step.

-- =

Slimer
OpenMedia Supporter and SPCA Paw Partner

"[P]rostitution, adultery, necrophilia, bestiality, possession of child =
=

pornography, and even incest and pedophilia =E2=80=A6 should be legal as=
long as =

no one is coerced. They are illegal only because of prejudice and =

narrowmindedness." - Richard Stallman, =

<https://stallman.org/archives/2003-may-aug.html>, 28 June, 2003.

"I am skeptical of the claim that voluntarily pedophilia harms children.=
=

The arguments that it causes harm seem to be based on cases which aren't=
=

voluntary, which are then stretched by parents who are horrified by the =
=

idea that their little baby is maturing." -
Richard Stallman =

<https://www.stallman.org/archives/2006-may-aug.html#05%20June%202006%20=
%28Dutch%20paedophiles%20form%20political%20party%29>, =

5 June, 2006.

"There is little evidence to justify the widespread assumption that =

willing participation in pedophilia hurts children.
Granted, children may not dare say no to an older relative, or may not =

realize they could say no; in that case, even if they do not overtly =

object, the relationship may still feel imposed to them. That's not =

willing participation, it's imposed participation, a different issue." -=
=

Richard Stallman, =

<https://stallman.org/archives/2012-nov-feb.html#04_January_2013_%28Pedo=
philia%29>, =

4 January, 2013.

Even Bryan Lunduke believes Richard Stallman is a creepy, out-of-touch =

problem in the open-source world. =

<http://lunduke.com/2009/07/21/richard-stallman-bringer-of-doom/>
Melzzzzz
2015-01-04 16:23:38 UTC
On Sun, 04 Jan 2015 11:11:10 -0500
Post by Slimer
Meanwhile, Windows and OS X can easily be installed even by a user
who doesn't really know what he's doing and he knows that he can call
the company for support in the event of a problem.
Bullcrap... Install OS X on PC... and try Windows on unsupported
hardware... I found Win 7 is more difficult to install then Linux.
OS X is not supported at all and guaranteed to work n anything
but Apple hardware.
Chris Ahlstrom
2015-01-04 17:45:44 UTC
Post by Slimer
Meanwhile, Windows and OS X can easily be installed even by a user
who doesn't really know what he's doing
The same with most GNU/Linux distros.
Post by Melzzzzz
Post by Slimer
and he knows that he can call
the company for support in the event of a problem.
Bullcrap... Install OS X on PC... and try Windows on unsupported
hardware... I found Win 7 is more difficult to install then Linux.
Well, Win 7 is a little easier to install than XP was. With Win 7, you
get the drivers you need, mostly.

With XP, you had to grab video and network drivers (at a minimum) to get the
full functionality of the hardware.
Post by Melzzzzz
OS X is not supported at all and guaranteed to work n anything
but Apple hardware.
--
There once was a master programmer who wrote unstructured programs.
A novice programmer, seeking to imitate him, also began to write unstructured
-- Geoffrey James, "The Tao of Programming"
flatfish+++
2015-01-04 17:52:39 UTC
Post by Slimer
Meanwhile, Windows and OS X can easily be installed even by a user
who doesn't really know what he's doing
The same with most GNU/Linux distros.
On a bare system, agreed.
On a dual boot system, not so much.
Post by Chris Ahlstrom
Post by Melzzzzz
Post by Slimer
and he knows that he can call
the company for support in the event of a problem.
Bullcrap... Install OS X on PC... and try Windows on unsupported
hardware... I found Win 7 is more difficult to install then Linux.
Well, Win 7 is a little easier to install than XP was. With Win 7, you
get the drivers you need, mostly.
True.
Even better with Windows 8.
Post by Chris Ahlstrom
With XP, you had to grab video and network drivers (at a minimum) to get the
full functionality of the hardware.
True.
A real PITA, especially for RAID drivers. Miss hitting F5 or was it
F4 at the right time and you just borked the install.

Windows users do have the advantage that most are not scratch
installing Windows. The system comes pre-loaded and if it tanks the
restore disks are used to put it back to factory fresh, assuming they
aren't backing up on a regular basis.

Linux has the problem that it is probably being installed on a system
that already has Windows and if one is not careful destroying the
Windows partition is easy to do.

Not Linux's fault, but that's the way it is.

JEDIDIAH
2015-01-05 18:09:57 UTC
Post by Slimer
Meanwhile, Windows and OS X can easily be installed even by a user
who doesn't really know what he's doing
The same with most GNU/Linux distros.
On a random bit of kit, it is much more likely that Linux can be
successfully and completely installed than any version of Windows.

If you are still laboring under the delusion that Windows "just
works", then you've never actually done it yourself ever. It is quite
common for all sorts of drivers to be missing. Especially troublesome
is when there are no suitable NETWORK drivers installed.

Then you have to use an entirely separate machine to beat the bushes
looking for drivers. Windows itself will be no help as it has built in
features to help you identify hardware that's missing drivers.
Post by Chris Ahlstrom
Post by Melzzzzz
Post by Slimer
and he knows that he can call
the company for support in the event of a problem.
Bullcrap... Install OS X on PC... and try Windows on unsupported
hardware... I found Win 7 is more difficult to install then Linux.
Well, Win 7 is a little easier to install than XP was. With Win 7, you
get the drivers you need, mostly.
--
cat /dev/video0 > tivo-sucks.mpg & |||
mplayer tivo-sucks.mpg / | \
Slimer
2015-01-05 19:31:30 UTC
Post by JEDIDIAH
Post by Slimer
Meanwhile, Windows and OS X can easily be installed even by a user
who doesn't really know what he's doing
The same with most GNU/Linux distros.
On a random bit of kit, it is much more likely that Linux can be
successfully and completely installed than any version of Windows.
Ridiculous bullshit based on no facts and with no evidence.
Post by JEDIDIAH
If you are still laboring under the delusion that Windows "just
works", then you've never actually done it yourself ever. It is quite
common for all sorts of drivers to be missing. Especially troublesome
is when there are no suitable NETWORK drivers installed.
Not an issue since Windows 9x and possibly XP. Every other version of =

Windows has been quite good with this. However, there is no reason for =

people to throw away the driver discs they were given with the hardware.=
=

If they did so, they're the morons, not Microsoft. Besides, many GNU/Lin=
ux =

distributions nowadays use the Linux-libre kernel which omits the firmwa=
re =

for wireless hardware which is considered non-free. You can't imagine th=
at =

to be much better than Windows.
Post by JEDIDIAH
looking for drivers. Windows itself will be no help as it has built in=
features to help you identify hardware that's missing drivers.
Windows WON'T help you BECAUSE it has features to help you identify =

hardware that's missing drivers? That sentence is fairly paradoxical.
Post by JEDIDIAH
Post by Chris Ahlstrom
Post by JEDIDIAH
Post by Chris Ahlstrom
get the drivers you need, mostly.
Almost completely. If anything's missing, it's the GPU driver and =

potentially the audio.

-- =

Slimer
2015-01-04 17:58:36 UTC
Post by Slimer
Meanwhile, Windows and OS X can easily be installed even by a user
who doesn't really know what he's doing and he knows that he can call=
the company for support in the event of a problem.
Bullcrap... Install OS X on PC...
Apple makes no claim that you can and should install it on the PC. Way t=
o =

move goalposts.
Post by Melzzzzz
and try Windows on unsupported
hardware...
There's hardware that Windows doesn't support? Besides, Microsoft's syst=
em =

requirements are well stated on the package of the software you purchase=
. =

Installing something on unsupported hardware is just that, UNSUPPORTED. =
=

Way to move goalposts, Melzzzz.
Post by Melzzzzz
I found Win 7 is more difficult to install then Linux.
OS X is not supported at all and guaranteed to work n anything
but Apple hardware.
Apple Mac OS X only works on Apple computers? I'm shocked and dismayed!!=

-- =

chrisv
2015-01-05 14:55:23 UTC
Post by William Poaster
SLIEmball also sticks to the wintroll mantra of "GNU/Linux can't be given
away for free", which is pure bullshit.
Well, that can be true in some cases where Windows is pre-installed
and Windows software is needed. It does have a hell of a lot more
"apps". This is, of course, why it's extremely difficult, if not
impossible, for a new alternative to make a significant dent in the
desktop market.
--
'COLA "advocates" want to use Samsung as the poster-boy for Android
Linux success. But all of the sudden what Samsung does has "nothing"
advocates of "hypocrisy"
Slimer
2015-01-05 17:36:40 UTC
Post by chrisv
SLIEmball also sticks to the wintroll mantra of "GNU/Linux can't be =
given
away for free", which is pure bullshit.
Well, that can be true in some cases where Windows is pre-installed
and Windows software is needed. It does have a hell of a lot more
"apps". This is, of course, why it's extremely difficult, if not
impossible, for a new alternative to make a significant dent in the
desktop market.
The problem is that it's not a _new_ alternative. GNU/Linux is actually =
=

older than the current iteration of Windows is and *SHOULD* have had the=
=

time to develop more applications. What applications were developed in =

1992-1993 for GNU/Linux should still be suitable for certain tasks in =

2015. Unfortunately, those applications will likely not work on a new =

installation whereas the applications developed in 1995 for Windows 95 =

still work on Windows 8 in most cases.

As a result, there are more applications in the Windows ecosystem despit=
e =

GNU/Linux having a significant head start.

-- =

JEDIDIAH
2015-01-05 18:40:48 UTC
Post by chrisv
Post by William Poaster
SLIEmball also sticks to the wintroll mantra of "GNU/Linux can't be given
away for free", which is pure bullshit.
Well, that can be true in some cases where Windows is pre-installed
and Windows software is needed. It does have a hell of a lot more
"apps". This is, of course, why it's extremely difficult, if not
impossible, for a new alternative to make a significant dent in the
desktop market.
This was true in 1988. Nevermind 2014.

The one saving grace we have now is tablets. They are so "strange" to
the untrained eye, that the usual "must be DOS compatible" mental block no
longer exists with these kinds of computer.

It took an entirely new consumer computing market to arise before anyone
but Microsoft stood any sort of chance.
--
cat /dev/video0 > tivo-sucks.mpg & |||
mplayer tivo-sucks.mpg / | \
Lloyd Parsons
2015-01-05 19:02:44 UTC
Post by JEDIDIAH
Post by chrisv
Post by William Poaster
SLIEmball also sticks to the wintroll mantra of "GNU/Linux can't be given
away for free", which is pure bullshit.
Well, that can be true in some cases where Windows is pre-installed
and Windows software is needed. It does have a hell of a lot more
"apps". This is, of course, why it's extremely difficult, if not
impossible, for a new alternative to make a significant dent in the
desktop market.
This was true in 1988. Nevermind 2014.
The one saving grace we have now is tablets. They are so "strange" to
the untrained eye, that the usual "must be DOS compatible" mental block no
longer exists with these kinds of computer.
It took an entirely new consumer computing market to arise before anyone
but Microsoft stood any sort of chance.
Have you emailed Apple to thank them for making this market?
Lloyd
Slimer
2015-01-05 19:35:52 UTC
Post by Lloyd Parsons
Post by JEDIDIAH
Post by chrisv
away for free", which is pure bullshit.
Well, that can be true in some cases where Windows is pre-installed
and Windows software is needed. It does have a hell of a lot more
"apps". This is, of course, why it's extremely difficult, if not
impossible, for a new alternative to make a significant dent in the
desktop market.
This was true in 1988. Nevermind 2014.
The one saving grace we have now is tablets. They are so "strange=
Post by Lloyd Parsons
Post by JEDIDIAH
anyone
but Microsoft stood any sort of chance.
Have you emailed Apple to thank them for making this market?
This is where they claim that Apple didn't create the tablet market (eve=
n =

though it had already been killed by Microsoft before the appearance of =
=

the iPad).

-- =

Snit
2015-01-05 19:43:13 UTC
Post by Lloyd Parsons
Post by JEDIDIAH
It took an entirely new consumer computing market to arise before anyone
but Microsoft stood any sort of chance.
Have you emailed Apple to thank them for making this market?
This is where they claim that Apple didn't create the tablet market (even
though it had already been killed by Microsoft before the appearance of
the iPad).
Both the iPhone and iPad were predicted by many to fail - largely because
they were so different from what others had. Now they have set the standards
for those industries - and people say what they did was "obvious" and deny
it was different from the past products.
--
* Mint MATE Trash, Panel, Menu: http://youtu.be/C0y74FIf7uE
* Mint KDE bugs or Easter eggs? http://youtu.be/CU-whJQvtfA
* OS / Word Processor Comparison: http://youtu.be/w6Qcl-w7s5c
Nobody
They wrote back that they had nothing to do with creating the tablet market.
Chris Ahlstrom
2015-01-09 01:28:49 UTC
Post by Nobody
Post by Lloyd Parsons
Have you emailed Apple to thank them for making this market?
They wrote back that they had nothing to do with creating the tablet market.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_tablet_computers#Linux

The tablet computer market was reinvigorated by Apple through the
introduction of the iPad device in 2010.

Note the word... *reinvigorated*, not "created".
--
It is easier to be a "humanitarian" than to render your own country its
proper due; it is easier to be a "patriot" than to make your community a
-- Sydney J. Harris
chrisv
2015-01-09 12:40:36 UTC
Post by Chris Ahlstrom
Post by Nobody
Post by Lloyd Parsons
Have you emailed Apple to thank them for making this market?
They wrote back that they had nothing to do with creating the tablet market.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_tablet_computers#Linux
The tablet computer market was reinvigorated by Apple through the
introduction of the iPad device in 2010.
Note the word... *reinvigorated*, not "created".
They were instrumental in helping, along with FOSS, to end
Microshaft's dominance of personal computing, though.
--
"(Name redacted) is a rather nasty piece of work. He's the kind of
foul minded, potty mouthed legend in his own lunchtime that drags the
posting while looking in the mirror.
Anonymous
2015-01-09 03:20:16 UTC
Post by Nobody
Post by Lloyd Parsons
Post by JEDIDIAH
It took an entirely new consumer computing market to arise before anyone
but Microsoft stood any sort of chance.
Have you emailed Apple to thank them for making this market?
They wrote back that they had nothing to do with
creating the tablet market.
BWWWAAAWWAAAA
You're too funny.

BWWWAAAWWWAAAA
Or maybe you're just an idiot. The table market is definitely because of the
iPad. What some Nobody dolt claims doesn't change that fact.

BBWWWAAAAWWWAAA. You really are a stupid douche.

BWWAAWAAAAAA
s***@dizum.com

BWWAAWAAAAAA
Anonymous Remailer (austria)

BWWAAWAAAAAA
Slimer
2015-01-03 15:44:36 UTC
On Sat, 03 Jan 2015 03:57:30 -0500, Peter K=F6hlmann =
Post by Peter Köhlmann
Post by Peter Köhlmann
Post by Peter Köhlmann
Post by Peter Köhlmann
Post by Slimer
emulate its failure?
In short: You are stupid enough to call security a "failure".
After all, the AV companies can't sell their stuff to linux users. The=
y =
Post by Peter Köhlmann
have
no need for that shite
Corel also couldn't sell its office suite to GNU/Linux users and gave up=
=

after the second release. It's not that GNU/Linux users have no need, it=
's =

that they insist that everything should be free. I don't even mean free =
as =

in the source code being available, I mean free as in free of charge.

There is absolutely no money to be made on GNU/Linux from its users. Tha=
t =

is why commercial support in the form of decent software is very minimal=
.

-- =

flatfish+++
2015-01-03 15:50:36 UTC
On Sat, 03 Jan 2015 03:57:30 -0500, Peter Köhlmann
Post by Peter Köhlmann
Post by Slimer
Post by RonB
Post by Peter Köhlmann
Post by Marti van Lin
[...]
They are either highly vertical applications with limited market and
high prices or they are in house applications. I'm talking desktop
here not servers.

John Gohde
2014-12-28 15:55:56 UTC
Post by Marti van Lin
I came across a easy how-to, how to make the Windows 8.1.1 desktop look
like Windows 7 or XP, fully legal and at no cost.
http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/make-windows-8-8-1-look-like-windows-7-xp/
http://i1057.photobucket.com/albums/t382/ml2mst2/Win817.jpg
When in Rome, do like the Romans do.

http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/when_in_Rome,_do_as_the_Romans_do

If you like your Windows XP, you can keep your Windows XP. :)