Linux crapware: magically loses 197GB of data... "countless hours of P2P effort"
DFS
2016-07-12 14:36:19 UTC
<quote>
How to recover directories that spontaneously vanished?

I've got this 1TB external USB hard drive, NTFS formatted, and it's on
an old netbook that I leave running 24/7 for P2P filesharing with
Transmission. The netbook runs an older version of the Crunchbang Linux
distro (now BusenLabs Linux).
I kid you not: about 95% of all the sub-directories inside of
"TRANSMISSION_EXTERNAL" had vanished: they were nowhere to be found on
the drive: not in Trash, or when viewing hidden files, etc... Only 31
directories remained of the hundreds that were there a day earlier.
Can anyone suggest a way that I could locate the 197GB worth of vanished
directories that I suspect/hope are still intact somewhere on the drive?
</quote>

5 posts at

Welcome to Linux!

How do you like it?
Ron House
2016-07-13 02:13:21 UTC
Post by DFS
<quote>
How to recover directories that spontaneously vanished?
I've got this 1TB external USB hard drive, NTFS formatted[...]
Microsoft kept the specs of NTFS secret. The linux implementation is
re-engineered from tests. This is well known. If you have critical data,
don't keep it in NTFS and use linux. I use my NTFS partition solely for
communication with windows. At least I did, but I don't boot doze any
more. In any case, there is no evidence at all here that this was a
fault of linux. And you ignore the many happy success stories of users
getting back data from NTFS using linux when doze failed.

My own story: Many hard hours creating a file on doze, went to save the
latest version, and it told me it was created by a different user!
Couldn't save, couldn't print, lost file. (Later got the previous
version using linux on NTFS.) Appeals on doze forums re the sudden
change of my user identity elicited the sole reply: "Sometimes windows
does that."
--
Ron House
Building Peace: http://peacelegacy.org
Principle of Goodness academic site: http://principleofgoodness.net
GreyCloud
2016-07-13 02:40:05 UTC
Post by Ron House
Post by DFS
<quote>
How to recover directories that spontaneously vanished?
I've got this 1TB external USB hard drive, NTFS formatted[...]
Microsoft kept the specs of NTFS secret. The linux implementation is
re-engineered from tests. This is well known. If you have critical data,
don't keep it in NTFS and use linux.
I use OpenVMS for critical data, as it is redbook B3 rated. No UNIX
that I know of has that rating.
Peter Köhlmann
2016-07-13 06:55:42 UTC
Post by GreyCloud
Post by Ron House
Post by DFS
<quote>
How to recover directories that spontaneously vanished?
I've got this 1TB external USB hard drive, NTFS formatted[...]
Microsoft kept the specs of NTFS secret. The linux implementation is
re-engineered from tests. This is well known. If you have critical data,
don't keep it in NTFS and use linux.
I use OpenVMS for critical data, as it is redbook B3 rated. No UNIX
that I know of has that rating.
This is blatantly wrong. And it has been shown to you in the past. Stay away
from that booze
GreyCloud
2016-07-13 17:14:11 UTC
Post by Peter Köhlmann
Post by GreyCloud
Post by Ron House
Post by DFS
<quote>
How to recover directories that spontaneously vanished?
I've got this 1TB external USB hard drive, NTFS formatted[...]
Microsoft kept the specs of NTFS secret. The linux implementation is
re-engineered from tests. This is well known. If you have critical data,
don't keep it in NTFS and use linux.
I use OpenVMS for critical data, as it is redbook B3 rated. No UNIX
that I know of has that rating.
This is blatantly wrong. And it has been shown to you in the past. Stay away
from that booze
It always has and will be B3 rated. And show me where any UNIX has
attained that rating.
Marek Novotny
2016-07-13 18:16:41 UTC
Post by GreyCloud
Post by Peter Köhlmann
Post by GreyCloud
Post by Ron House
Post by DFS
<quote>
How to recover directories that spontaneously vanished?
I've got this 1TB external USB hard drive, NTFS formatted[...]
Microsoft kept the specs of NTFS secret. The linux implementation is
re-engineered from tests. This is well known. If you have critical data,
don't keep it in NTFS and use linux.
I use OpenVMS for critical data, as it is redbook B3 rated. No UNIX
that I know of has that rating.
This is blatantly wrong. And it has been shown to you in the past. Stay away
from that booze
It always has and will be B3 rated. And show me where any UNIX has
attained that rating.
Not sure what rating SElinux affords Linux. I'll have to Google that
one.
--
Marek Novotny
https://github.com/marek-novotny
Peter Köhlmann
2016-07-13 19:08:48 UTC
Post by Marek Novotny
Post by GreyCloud
Post by Peter Köhlmann
Post by GreyCloud
Post by Ron House
Post by DFS
<quote>
How to recover directories that spontaneously vanished?
I've got this 1TB external USB hard drive, NTFS formatted[...]
Microsoft kept the specs of NTFS secret. The linux implementation is
re-engineered from tests. This is well known. If you have critical
data, don't keep it in NTFS and use linux.
I use OpenVMS for critical data, as it is redbook B3 rated. No UNIX
that I know of has that rating.
This is blatantly wrong. And it has been shown to you in the past. Stay
away from that booze
It always has and will be B3 rated. And show me where any UNIX has
attained that rating.
Not sure what rating SElinux affords Linux. I'll have to Google that
one.
EAL4 / B1. Like RedHat or Suse Linux. And OpenVMS

There are no PC-like computers with a B3. So in effect, Redhat and Suse have
the same rating as OpenVMS. Which is EAL4 or B1. OSX highest rating btw is
EAL3 or C2, which is substantially lower than EAL4
Marek Novotny
2016-07-13 19:18:15 UTC
Post by Peter Köhlmann
Post by Marek Novotny
Post by GreyCloud
Post by Peter Köhlmann
Post by GreyCloud
Post by Ron House
Post by DFS
[...]
Well, the iMac is used by consumers that want to consume content. I
don't see it as an NSA trusted system. It's good at what it sells itself
as. A game device and a content consuming device. I can't knock it for
doing well at what it has advertised itself to be. When Apple needs to
do real work, they call on Oracle and Google. They don't use Macs as
their data-center infrastructure. They have more common sense than that.
Just read Apple's own jobs listing. They want Linux talent for the real
work. The iPad is the "product" they sell to the "consumer". I use one.
Great book ready. Great little web device. It's better than my Dell
Venue 5835 8" tablet running JokeOS. That piece of shit is hopeless.
Snit
2016-07-13 19:33:58 UTC
On 7/13/16, 12:18 PM, in article
Post by Marek Novotny
Post by Peter Köhlmann
EAL4 / B1. Like RedHat or Suse Linux. And OpenVMS
There are no PC-like computers with a B3. So in effect, Redhat and Suse have
the same rating as OpenVMS. Which is EAL4 or B1. OSX highest rating btw is
EAL3 or C2, which is substantially lower than EAL4
Well, the iMac is used by consumers that want to consume content.
So you think Peter Köhlmann is merely a "consumer" of content and not a
creator?
-----
The last days I prepared 2 OSX machines I intend to take with me
to Berlin, where I will stay for some weeks starting in about 10
days. Reason: Too much luggage, so I will take only a apple laptop
and a iMac instead of the full featured linux rig.
-----

That may be true, of course, but that does not mean it is true of all who
use iMacs. I, for example, have created plenty of content showing OSs - far
more content then you and the herd combined.
Post by Marek Novotny
I don't see it as an NSA trusted system.
I doubt you see any NSA trusted systems at all, but even if so, it is an
absurd criteria for content creation!
Post by Marek Novotny
It's good at what it sells itself as. A game device and a content consuming
device.
You are merely showing you know nothing of Macs. OK. Keep in mind I recently
posted a list of Hollywood movies edited on Macs. And there is a lot more,
of course.
Post by Marek Novotny
I can't knock it for doing well at what it has advertised itself to
be. When Apple needs to do real work, they call on Oracle and Google.
And Google, at least calls on Apple to get real work done, too. Yes, it
makes sense to not just use your own tools!
Post by Marek Novotny
They don't use Macs as their data-center infrastructure.
You moved from content creation to data center infrastructure... showing no
understanding of your moving of goal posts.
Post by Marek Novotny
They have more common sense than that. Just read Apple's own jobs listing.
They want Linux talent for the real work.
The "real work" - as defined by what?
Post by Marek Novotny
The iPad is the "product" they sell to the "consumer".
They also sell other products to consumers and producers.
* OS X / Linux: What is a file? http://youtu.be/_dMbXGLW9PI
* Mint MATE Trash, Panel, Menu: http://youtu.be/C0y74FIf7uE
* Mint KDE working with folders: http://youtu.be/7C9nvniOoE0
* Mint KDE creating files: http://youtu.be/N7-fZJaJUv8
* Mint KDE help: http://youtu.be/3ikizUd3sa8
* Mint KDE general navigation: http://youtu.be/t9y14yZtQuI
* Mint KDE bugs or Easter eggs? http://youtu.be/CU-whJQvtfA
* Easy on OS X / Hard on Linux: http://youtu.be/D3BPWANQoIk
* OS / Word Processor Comparison: http://youtu.be/w6Qcl-w7s5c
Peter Köhlmann
2016-07-13 19:46:26 UTC
The lying imbecile Snit Michael Glasser, fraudulent Prescott Computer Guy
Post by Snit
On 7/13/16, 12:18 PM, in article
Post by Marek Novotny
Post by Peter Köhlmann
EAL4 / B1. Like RedHat or Suse Linux. And OpenVMS
There are no PC-like computers with a B3. So in effect, Redhat and Suse
have the same rating as OpenVMS. Which is EAL4 or B1. OSX highest rating
btw is EAL3 or C2, which is substantially lower than EAL4
Well, the iMac is used by consumers that want to consume content.
So you think Peter Köhlmann is merely a "consumer" of content and not a
creator?
-----
The last days I prepared 2 OSX machines I intend to take with me
to Berlin, where I will stay for some weeks starting in about 10
days. Reason: Too much luggage, so I will take only a apple laptop
and a iMac instead of the full featured linux rig.
-----
Conveniently not mentioning that I take the *hardware* to run mainly linux
on both of them.
Both machines have Opensuse 13.2 installed on them *nativly* and normally
run under it, too. What do you think "preparing" might mean? Part of that
task involved converting the iMac for nativ linux

The size combined of those two machines with keyboard and 2 mice is *far*
*less* than the physical size of my linux rig, even if I take only one
monitor with me. Which seems pretty stupid when going for some weeks to
Berlin.

You seem rather intent on looking like the raving lunatic you really are,
Snit Michael Glasser
Marek Novotny
2016-07-13 20:20:56 UTC
Post by Peter Köhlmann
The lying imbecile Snit Michael Glasser, fraudulent Prescott Computer Guy
Post by Snit
On 7/13/16, 12:18 PM, in article
Post by Marek Novotny
Post by Peter Köhlmann
[...]
Yeah, these clowns lost this a long time ago. Windows and Mac losers
hanging around a Linux group, trolling the users here. Talk about
insecurity. Linux has these guys shaking in their boots.

Take the GUI away from Snit and he'd cry, have a heart attack or both.
Snit
2016-07-13 20:35:43 UTC
On 7/13/16, 1:20 PM, in article
Post by Marek Novotny
Post by Peter Köhlmann
The lying imbecile Snit Michael Glasser, fraudulent Prescott Computer Guy
Post by Snit
On 7/13/16, 12:18 PM, in article
Post by Marek Novotny
Post by Peter Köhlmann
[...]
You mean Peter. Remember, he is a Mac / OS X user. Even prefers it to Linux
when it comes to what he takes with him to get tasks done:

-----
Post by Marek Novotny
Talk about
insecurity. Linux has these guys shaking in their boots.
Take the GUI away from Snit and he'd cry, have a heart attack or both.
Wow. Look at the anger you have. Does Linux do that to you?
Steve Carroll
2016-07-13 22:23:49 UTC
Post by Snit
On 7/13/16, 1:20 PM, in article
Post by Marek Novotny
Post by Peter Köhlmann
The lying imbecile Snit Michael Glasser, fraudulent Prescott Computer Guy
Hmmm... maybe he doesn't realize that, as a professional web developer, you must be relatively CLI savvy ;)
GreyCloud
2016-07-13 21:34:43 UTC
Post by Marek Novotny
Post by Peter Köhlmann
The lying imbecile Snit Michael Glasser, fraudulent Prescott Computer Guy
Post by Snit
On 7/13/16, 12:18 PM, in article
Post by Marek Novotny
Post by Peter Köhlmann
[...]
Sun removed most of their GUI admin tools and went back to the CLI for
most of their administrative tasks, but not all of them.
Snit
2016-07-13 21:46:01 UTC
Post by GreyCloud
Post by Marek Novotny
Post by Peter Köhlmann
The lying imbecile Snit Michael Glasser, fraudulent Prescott Computer Guy
Post by Snit
On 7/13/16, 12:18 PM, in article
Post by Marek Novotny
Post by Peter Köhlmann
[...]
I tend to use the GUI more than the CLI... and for that Marek thinks less of
me and lashes out like that. Wow. Insane of him.
Marek Novotny
2016-07-13 22:22:21 UTC
Post by GreyCloud
Post by Marek Novotny
Post by Peter Köhlmann
The lying imbecile Snit Michael Glasser, fraudulent Prescott Computer Guy
Post by Snit
On 7/13/16, 12:18 PM, in article
Post by Marek Novotny
Post by Peter Köhlmann
[...]
I could go either way myself, but honestly I tend to favor the CLI over
the GUI. And if the config file is just a text file, even better. That's
my preference. I love how Samba is just a text file. Same with Apache,
Bind, my Vim, Tmux, slrn and almost everything else I can think of.
Makes it so easy to save, restore, modify and transplant.
Snit
2016-07-13 22:25:16 UTC
On 7/13/16, 3:22 PM, in article
Post by Peter Köhlmann
[...]
Depends on the type of work I am doing, but I tend to prefer the GUI. What I
do not get is why you would insult people with a different preference. Makes
you sound very insecure with YOUR choices.
I love how Samba is just a text file. Same with Apache, Bind, my
Vim, Tmux, slrn and almost everything else I can think of.
Images and videos are not. I do a lot of work with those.
John Taylor
2016-07-13 22:48:47 UTC
Post by Marek Novotny
I could go either way myself,
That doesn't surprise me. Tell it to Stallman. I'll bet he would be
interested in your amorous advances.
John Taylor
2016-07-13 22:46:17 UTC
Post by Marek Novotny
Post by Peter Köhlmann
The lying imbecile Snit Michael Glasser, fraudulent Prescott Computer Guy
Post by Snit
On 7/13/16, 12:18 PM, in article
Post by Marek Novotny
Post by Peter Köhlmann
[...]
Take away your Apple and Microsoft devices and software and you will
collapse.
Peter Köhlmann
2016-07-13 23:10:12 UTC
Post by John Taylor
Post by Marek Novotny
Post by Peter Köhlmann
The lying imbecile Snit Michael Glasser, fraudulent Prescott Computer
Post by Snit
On 7/13/16, 12:18 PM, in article
Post by Marek Novotny
Post by Peter Köhlmann
[...]
Actually, no, Snit Michael Glasser

My router runs linux. My TV runs linux/android. My smartphone runs
linux/android. My tablet runs linux/android. My apple computers run linux by
default. Even my printer has embedded linux as OS. My main computer has
nothing but linux installed nativly

*None* of my devices depend on windows or apple stuff.
John Taylor
2016-07-13 23:31:59 UTC
Post by John Taylor
Post by Marek Novotny
Post by Peter Köhlmann
The lying imbecile Snit Michael Glasser, fraudulent Prescott Computer
Post by Snit
On 7/13/16, 12:18 PM, in article
Post by Marek Novotny
Post by Peter Köhlmann
[...]
But you run Apple devices.

And why are you answering for Marek Novotny?
He certainly doesn't need your help to look like an idiot.
Peter Köhlmann
2016-07-13 23:41:24 UTC
Post by John Taylor
Post by Marek Novotny
Post by Peter Köhlmann
The lying imbecile Snit Michael Glasser, fraudulent Prescott Computer
Post by Snit
On 7/13/16, 12:18 PM, in article
Post by Marek Novotny
Post by Peter Köhlmann
[...]
I run apple devices because clients use apple computers.
I myself woud certainly not use apple devices out of choice. They are way
too crappy for that
Irrelevant. You are not ashamed to let a sock answer for you
John Taylor
2016-07-13 23:45:21 UTC
Post by Peter Köhlmann
Post by John Taylor
Post by Peter Köhlmann
*None* of my devices depend on windows or apple stuff.
But you run Apple devices.
I run apple devices because clients use apple computers.
I myself woud certainly not use apple devices out of choice. They are way
too crappy for that
So you are a hypocrite.
Post by Peter Köhlmann
Post by John Taylor
And why are you answering for Marek Novotny?
He certainly doesn't need your help to look like an idiot.
Irrelevant. You are not ashamed to let a sock answer for you
Ahh, the everyone is snit gag.
I get it.

And I thought you might actually make it 24 hours without making an ass
of yourself.
You failed.
Snit
2016-07-14 00:00:28 UTC
Post by John Taylor
Post by Peter Köhlmann
Post by John Taylor
Post by Peter Köhlmann
*None* of my devices depend on windows or apple stuff.
But you run Apple devices.
I run apple devices because clients use apple computers.
I myself woud certainly not use apple devices out of choice. They are way
too crappy for that
So you are a hypocrite.
Yet, when he has to pick between OS X and Linux, what does Peter pick? By
his own words:
-----
The last days I prepared 2 OSX machines I intend to take with me
to Berlin, where I will stay for some weeks starting in about 10
days. Reason: Too much luggage, so I will take only a apple laptop
and a iMac instead of the full featured linux rig.
-----

Yeah... When Peter thinks of the tasks he has to do he goes with OS X.
Post by John Taylor
Post by Peter Köhlmann
Post by John Taylor
And why are you answering for Marek Novotny?
He certainly doesn't need your help to look like an idiot.
Irrelevant. You are not ashamed to let a sock answer for you
Ahh, the everyone is snit gag.
I get it.
And I thought you might actually make it 24 hours without making an ass
of yourself.
You failed.
He always does.
Peter Köhlmann
2016-07-14 07:39:13 UTC
Post by John Taylor
Post by Peter Köhlmann
Post by John Taylor
Post by Peter Köhlmann
*None* of my devices depend on windows or apple stuff.
But you run Apple devices.
I run apple devices because clients use apple computers.
I myself woud certainly not use apple devices out of choice. They are way
too crappy for that
So you are a hypocrite.
No. I am a programmer. If there weren't clients who use apple gear and have
asked for a apple version, I would never have bought this apple crap
Post by John Taylor
Post by Peter Köhlmann
Post by John Taylor
And why are you answering for Marek Novotny?
He certainly doesn't need your help to look like an idiot.
Irrelevant. You are not ashamed to let a sock answer for you
Ahh, the everyone is snit gag.
I get it.
You get nothing, Snit Michael Glasser. Do you actually think that there is
even one person who believes your claim to post only as "Snit"?
Fine for me if a lying imbecile says that
Snit
2016-07-14 15:11:22 UTC
Post by John Taylor
Post by Peter Köhlmann
Post by John Taylor
Post by John Taylor
And I thought you might actually make it 24 hours without making an ass
of yourself.
You failed.
Fine for me if a lying imbecile says that
You babble about being a programmer, a claim that has no merit, as you say
you think I use socks, ANOTHER claim that has no merit.

You make claims you cannot back. You make accusations you cannot back. And
why? Because you fear speaking of technology. You are terrified. And we can
see why... look at some of your recent attempts:

1) You finally admitted that when you have to be limited with tech you
select your (older!) Macs / OS X because they serves your needs / handle
tasks better than Linux:
-----
The last days I prepared 2 OSX machines I intend to take with me
to Berlin, where I will stay for some weeks starting in about 10
days. Reason: Too much luggage, so I will take only a apple laptop
and a iMac instead of the full featured linux rig.
-----

2) The Mac makes it easy to set up IPv4 and IPv6 but you were not competent
enough to figure it out (the option you wanted was in an "advanced" area):
<https://goo.gl/4yKzcj>.
-----
a setup with a preselected IPV4 address and a dynamically IPV6
address... it is quite difficult to set [OSX and Windows] up that
way which is *easy* to do with linux
-----

3) When trying to set up SMB in OS X (even though you already had other
sharing set up), you tried to go somewhere in the "OSX setup" instead of the
sharing preference panel where the setting is under "options":
<https://goo.gl/fdM0hq>.
-----
So I end up setting up the VMs on both machines to use "shared
directories" for the dirs in question, and to *additionally* share
them via the "Shares" tab in OSX system setup instead of having
them shared just once in Samba.
-----

Now we get to see you throw a tantrum, and the herd come to back you up with
attempts to put me on the defensive and move the topic away from technology.
Peter Köhlmann
2016-07-14 15:34:11 UTC
Post by John Taylor
Post by Peter Köhlmann
Post by John Taylor
Post by John Taylor
And I thought you might actually make it 24 hours without making an ass
of yourself.
You failed.
Fine for me if a lying imbecile says that
You babble about being a programmer, a claim that has no merit, as you say
you think I use socks, ANOTHER claim that has no merit.
Now we get to see you throw a tantrum, and the herd come to back you up
with attempts to put me on the defensive and move the topic away from
technology.
Well the one "throwing a tantrum" is you, posting the saqme crap over and
over and over. You openly lie about what I said and think by repeating your
lies they will somehow magically be true

And all that for the fact that you fear speaking about technolgy so much
that you had to judiciously snip the references to apples botched
implementation of SMB2 and SMB3. You fear talking about technology
Snit
2016-07-14 15:50:47 UTC
Post by Peter Köhlmann
Post by Snit
You babble about being a programmer, a claim that has no merit, as you say
you think I use socks, ANOTHER claim that has no merit.
Now we get to see you throw a tantrum, and the herd come to back you up
with attempts to put me on the defensive and move the topic away from
technology.
Well the one "throwing a tantrum" is you, posting the saqme crap over and
over and over.
I post the same facts in response to your lies and the lies of your herd.
You do not like it. Solution: you and your herd should stop lying.
Post by Peter Köhlmann
You openly lie about what I said and think by repeating your
lies they will somehow magically be true
And all that for the fact that you fear speaking about technolgy so much
that you had to judiciously snip the references to apples botched
implementation of SMB2 and SMB3. You fear talking about technology
Keep in mind what is freaking you out, Peter:

Snit

Snit
2016-07-13 23:47:13 UTC
Post by John Taylor
Post by Peter Köhlmann
Post by John Taylor
Post by Marek Novotny
Post by Peter Köhlmann
You seem rather intent on looking like the raving lunatic you really
are, Snit Michael Glasser
Yeah, these clowns lost this a long time ago. Windows and Mac losers
hanging around a Linux group, trolling the users here. Talk about
insecurity. Linux has these guys shaking in their boots.
Take the GUI away from Snit and he'd cry, have a heart attack or both.
Take away your Apple and Microsoft devices and software and you will
collapse.
Actually, no, Snit Michael Glasser
My router runs linux. My TV runs linux/android. My smartphone runs
linux/android. My tablet runs linux/android. My apple computers run linux by
default. Even my printer has embedded linux as OS. My main computer has
nothing but linux installed nativly
*None* of my devices depend on windows or apple stuff.
But you run Apple devices.
And when he is travelling and does not want to take all his machines, he
takes two, BOTH of which he describes as "OSX machines" and he leaves behind
his "linux rig."
Post by John Taylor
And why are you answering for Marek Novotny?
He certainly doesn't need your help to look like an idiot.
Not even slightly!
Peter Köhlmann
2016-07-14 07:36:01 UTC
Post by Snit
Post by John Taylor
Post by Peter Köhlmann
Post by John Taylor
Post by Marek Novotny
Post by Peter Köhlmann
[...]
For space reasons alone. And no, I don't expect that they will run OSX at
all during that time. That will only be the case if I have to correct a bug
and need to provide an update.

So accept the fact that both apple machines will run very probably only
linux during that time.
Snit
2016-07-14 15:53:13 UTC
On 7/14/16, 12:36 AM, in article nm7fd1$tg7$***@dont-email.me, "Peter
Köhlmann" <peter-***@t-online.de> wrote:

Post by Peter Köhlmann
Post by Snit
And when he is travelling and does not want to take all his machines, he
takes two, BOTH of which he describes as "OSX machines" and he leaves
behind his "linux rig."
For space reasons alone.
Right: When you considered your tasks and constraints you realized your OS X
machines served you best. You left your "linux rig" behind and brought Macs
with OS X.
-----

Post by Peter Köhlmann
And no, I don't expect that they will run OSX at all during that time. That
will only be the case if I have to correct a bug and need to provide an
update.
So accept the fact that both apple machines will run very probably only linux
during that time.
You changed your story to that... but there is no reason to believe it.
Snit
2016-07-14 00:03:08 UTC
Post by John Taylor
Post by Marek Novotny
Post by Peter Köhlmann
The lying imbecile Snit Michael Glasser, fraudulent Prescott Computer
Post by Snit
On 7/13/16, 12:18 PM, in article
Post by Marek Novotny
Post by Peter Köhlmann
[...]
Another error you will blame on having poor English skills? Will you claim
you meant: "Actually you are not Michael Glasser"?

Even then, though, he never claimed to be and you would STILL be making and
idiot of yourself.
Post by Peter Köhlmann
My router runs linux. My TV runs linux/android. My smartphone runs
linux/android. My tablet runs linux/android. My apple computers run linux by
default.
Nope. They came with OS X and that is what they run "by default." And even
by your own setup you note they are OS X machines:

-----
The last days I prepared 2 OSX machines I intend to take with me
to Berlin, where I will stay for some weeks starting in about 10
days. Reason: Too much luggage, so I will take only a apple laptop
and a iMac instead of the full featured linux rig.
-----

When it comes to getting tasks done, you prefer OS X to Linux. Simple as
that.
Post by Peter Köhlmann
Even my printer has embedded linux as OS. My main computer has
nothing but linux installed nativly
*None* of my devices depend on windows or apple stuff.
But you do!

-----
The last days I prepared 2 OSX machines I intend to take with me
to Berlin, where I will stay for some weeks starting in about 10
days. Reason: Too much luggage, so I will take only a apple laptop
and a iMac instead of the full featured linux rig.
-----

Sadly, though, you do not know how to use it well... even to set up basic
networking:

Peter Köhlmann
2016-07-14 07:32:54 UTC
Post by John Taylor
Post by Marek Novotny
Post by Peter Köhlmann
The lying imbecile Snit Michael Glasser, fraudulent Prescott Computer
Post by Snit
Post by Peter Köhlmann
My router runs linux. My TV runs linux/android. My smartphone runs
linux/android. My tablet runs linux/android. My apple computers run linux
by default.
Nope. They came with OS X and that is what they run "by default." And even
They run by default the way I have set them up. It is not apples decision
what that hardware does by default. And OSX is garbage, so I don't want have
it running if there isn't a need for that.

They are my "OSX machines". Or my "apple machines". That does not say
anything what they run by default. It just denotes what type of machines
they are. They come from apple. And the hardware is OK, but not better than
that. If there were a way to run OSX on other hardware, I would gladly
bypass apples stuff. Even better would be a type of "wine" which acts as a
shim between linux and OSX programs, completely eliminating the need to have
that crap OSX at all. But as OSX has so few users, there is not enough
demand for that
Snit

DFS
2016-07-14 13:41:50 UTC
Post by Peter Köhlmann
*None* of my devices depend on windows or apple stuff.
But *most* of your income does. Refuse to develop for Windows and Mac,
and you're broke in no time.

MS is doomed.
Apple's empire is crumbling.
blah blah blah blah blah
Peter Köhlmann
2016-07-14 15:30:27 UTC
Post by DFS
Post by Peter Köhlmann
*None* of my devices depend on windows or apple stuff.
But *most* of your income does. Refuse to develop for Windows and Mac,
and you're broke in no time.
Well, at least 1 out of 5 machines run the linux version.
3 run the windows version. Not really that high praise for windows
DFS
Yeah... 60% market share is real bad.
Snit
Peter Köhlmann
2016-07-14 20:10:25 UTC
Post by DFS
Post by Peter Köhlmann
Post by DFS
Post by Peter Köhlmann
*None* of my devices depend on windows or apple stuff.
But *most* of your income does. Refuse to develop for Windows and Mac,
and you're broke in no time.
Well, at least 1 out of 5 machines run the linux version.
3 run the windows version. Not really that high praise for windows
Yeah... 60% market share is real bad.
It is. It was once 100%. Then came the linux and OSX versions.

There are even clients who run all 3 of them on the desktop, some who run
the windows and OSX version on the desktop but run the databases on linux
machines. Some of the windows users still run the database on linux machines
Snit
2016-07-14 20:31:47 UTC
Post by Peter Köhlmann
Post by DFS
Post by Peter Köhlmann
Post by DFS
Post by Peter Köhlmann
*None* of my devices depend on windows or apple stuff.
But *most* of your income does. Refuse to develop for Windows and Mac,
and you're broke in no time.
Well, at least 1 out of 5 machines run the linux version.
3 run the windows version. Not really that high praise for windows
Yeah... 60% market share is real bad.
It is. It was once 100%. Then came the linux and OSX versions.
You mean before there were other versions all users used the one version
that existed. And now there are other versions and some people actually use
those, too!

Man, yeah... I can see where that is horrid news for... um... someone. What?
Post by Peter Köhlmann
There are even clients who run all 3 of them on the desktop, some who run
the windows and OSX version on the desktop but run the databases on linux
machines. Some of the windows users still run the database on linux machines
Does this software even have a name?
Peter Köhlmann
Yes
Snit
2016-07-14 22:02:15 UTC
Post by Snit
Post by Peter Köhlmann
Post by Peter Köhlmann
There are even clients who run all 3 of them on the desktop, some who run
the windows and OSX version on the desktop but run the databases on linux
machines. Some of the windows users still run the database on linux machines
Does this software even have a name?
Yes
Unlikely. Almost surely you made it up. Remember, you have proved you do not
think like a developer - you do not even think in terms of scripting for
simple repetitive tasks.
Snit
2016-07-13 23:45:52 UTC
Post by John Taylor
Post by Marek Novotny
Post by Peter Köhlmann
Post by Snit
[...]
We now know at least Peter Köhlmann prefers his Macs with OS X.
Steve Carroll
2016-07-14 00:02:25 UTC
Post by Snit
Post by John Taylor
Post by Marek Novotny
Post by Peter Köhlmann
Post by Snit
[...]
What we "know" is... If you're saying something about someone else that's a pretty clear indication you're lying (not that the name Snit in the 'from' field isn't one). Here's another thing we "know":

"I used to have a very high tolerance. Now a lot of meds seems to react oddly with me. Seems I can add alcohol to that list. Damn that was frightening." - Snit

<https://groups.google.com/forum/?hl=en#!original/alt.support.anxiety-panic/W64xkeMM5qU/Ig_M7LXObwQJ>

So... 20 years on, is a glass of wine with dinner still "frightening", Mr. Hypochoniriac?

By the way, notice the "organization" field here?

"Impact Technology: The Best Solution"

Remember the fun we had over that ;)
John Taylor
2016-07-14 00:22:39 UTC
Post by Steve Carroll
Post by Snit
Post by John Taylor
Post by Marek Novotny
Post by Peter Köhlmann
Post by Snit
[...]
Still stalking snit.
How pathetic.
Get a life son.
Steve Carroll
2016-07-14 00:35:16 UTC
Post by John Taylor
Post by Steve Carroll
Post by Snit
Post by John Taylor
Post by Marek Novotny
Post by Peter Köhlmann
Post by Snit
[...]
Interestingly, it was in that same 'panic' newsgroup (and the dreamweaver one and others that you cross trolled to) that you started began the bogus setup for the 'stalking' lie you've told ever since. Here are some of your pathetic attempts at forging me while cross trolling, Mr. 'Victim':

<https://groups.google.com/forum/?hl=en#!msg/alt.support.anxiety-panic/zMxRNYnyKv4/ORGOvgGkN30J>

Of course, this was after it had been proven you'd been forging my posts for years (as you even admitted to Sandman of CSMA).
Snit
2016-07-14 00:26:20 UTC
Post by John Taylor
Post by Steve Carroll
Post by Snit
Post by John Taylor
Post by Marek Novotny
[...]
He is STILL stalking me... and babbling about posts from TWENTY years ago
that have NOTHING to do with tech and were not even posted to COLA.

That is absolutely insane... but when Carroll gets THAT desperate it is
proof even he knows I am right.
Snit
2016-07-13 20:19:46 UTC
Post by Peter Köhlmann
The lying imbecile Snit Michael Glasser, fraudulent Prescott Computer Guy
Post by Snit
On 7/13/16, 12:18 PM, in article
Post by Marek Novotny
Post by Peter Köhlmann
EAL4 / B1. Like RedHat or Suse Linux. And OpenVMS
There are no PC-like computers with a B3. So in effect, Redhat and Suse
have the same rating as OpenVMS. Which is EAL4 or B1. OSX highest rating
btw is EAL3 or C2, which is substantially lower than EAL4
Well, the iMac is used by consumers that want to consume content.
So you think Peter Köhlmann is merely a "consumer" of content and not a
creator?
-----
The last days I prepared 2 OSX machines I intend to take with me
to Berlin, where I will stay for some weeks starting in about 10
days. Reason: Too much luggage, so I will take only a apple laptop
and a iMac instead of the full featured linux rig.
-----
Conveniently not mentioning that I take the *hardware* to run mainly linux
on both of them.
Above you note you are running "OSX" and leaving behind your "linux rig."
Yes, I get you are changing your story and snipping the areas where you even
talked about USING OS X and how you could not figure it out.

[...]

Not only did you show deep ignorance of OS X, you proved THAT was at least
one of the OSs you were using. Proved. So you took Macs to run OS X and
could not figure out the basics of networking on OS X. All based on what YOU
said.
Post by Peter Köhlmann
Both machines have Opensuse 13.2 installed on them *nativly* and normally
run under it, too.
Macs run multiple OSs just fine... but note how you first said you left
behind your "linux rig" - now you say you brought the Macs to be "linux
rigs" - your story changed.
Post by Peter Köhlmann
What do you think "preparing" might mean?
Well, for one you had to figure out some SIMPLE network setups - you found
that to be too hard! Thankfully you had me here to help you!
Post by Peter Köhlmann
Part of that task involved converting the iMac for nativ linux
So you lied when you said you were using OS X and leaving behind Linux rigs.
While you lie a lot, this sounds like a very self-serving claim of yours!
Post by Peter Köhlmann
The size combined of those two machines with keyboard and 2 mice is *far*
*less* than the physical size of my linux rig, even if I take only one
monitor with me. Which seems pretty stupid when going for some weeks to
Berlin.
You chose to use Macs and OS X when you considered what tasks you do. Sure.
Post by Peter Köhlmann
You seem rather intent on looking like the raving lunatic you really are,
Snit Michael Glasser
You are just back pedaling and snipping and whining because you realize you
accidently let out your preference for Macs and OS X.
Peter Köhlmann
2016-07-13 22:11:19 UTC
Post by Peter Köhlmann
The lying imbecile Snit Michael Glasser, fraudulent Prescott Computer Guy
Post by Snit
On 7/13/16, 12:18 PM, in article
Post by Marek Novotny
Post by Peter Köhlmann
[...]
No, you babbling lunatic idiot, they are "OSX machines "
Because thats what they were when I got them. Both machines run mainly
linux, OSX is only booted when I need to compile/test the OSX versions

That does not make me a OSX user, as I can't stand that crappy POS of an OS.
Face it: OSX is shitty, even more so than windows. It just has not got
windows share of malware, but thats small praise compaired to its
sluggishness and lack of useful options

Why would I run OSX normally when compiling the sources is more than twice
as fast under linux on the very same machine for the *exact* same source
files?

I must be a babbling idiot like you are if I would be that stupid
Snit
2016-07-13 22:16:51 UTC
On 7/13/16, 3:11 PM, in article nm6ea8$ctj$***@dont-email.me, "Peter Köhlmann"
<peter-***@t-online.de> wrote:

Post by Peter Köhlmann
Post by Peter Köhlmann
No, you babbling lunatic idiot, they are "OSX machines "
Because thats what they were when I got them.
And what you SAID you were bringing with you: "OSX machine" - not just Macs,
but machines running OS X. And with those machines you could not figure out
basic networking.

[...]

And now you are throwing a tantrum and changing your story
Post by Peter Köhlmann
Both machines run mainly
linux, OSX is only booted when I need to compile/test the OSX versions
So you DO boot them with OS X. Fine. And Marek goes on and on and on about
how bad Apple hardware is - as do you. But now the truth comes out: when
given the choice you pick Macs with OS X. Cool!
Post by Peter Köhlmann
That does not make me a OSX user,
Using Macs with OS X does not make you a COMPETENT OS X user, sure. But you
do clearly use it!
Post by Peter Köhlmann
as I can't stand that crappy POS of an OS.
Even though it is your OS of choice when you are given a choice.

And below you throw more of a tantrum.
Peter Köhlmann
2016-07-13 22:31:52 UTC
Post by Snit
3) When trying to set up SMB in OS X (even though you already had other
sharing set up), you tried to go somewhere in the "OSX setup" instead of
<https://goo.gl/fdM0hq>.
Idiot. Might it have something to do with the fact that I don't use a
english version of OSX, but a german one? I have to translate the german
stuff to english here, you lunatic twit. If I don't hit the exact same words
as in the english version you are using, it is because I have never seen it

You would also have a hard time to provide the german words for the
different panels in OSX system setup
Post by Snit
-----
So I end up setting up the VMs on both machines to use "shared
directories" for the dirs in question, and to *additionally* share
them via the "Shares" tab in OSX system setup instead of having
them shared just once in Samba.
-----
And now you are throwing a tantrum and changing your story
You babbling idiot don't even have the slightest idea what I am talking
about.

The "shared directories" are shared from within VirtualBox, for crying out
loud. They don't have to do *anything* at all with any OSX setup, they work
from within VirtualBox. They are directories which appear as networked
folders inside of the VM, but are independant from apples extremely botched
version of SMB2 and SMB3 because they are networked by VirtualBox and for
that reason don't have any of the problems OSX has since years with
networked sharing

You just blubber and blubber and blubber instead of ever knowing exactly
what you are babbling about
Snit
2016-07-13 23:59:28 UTC
Post by Snit
3) When trying to set up SMB in OS X (even though you already had other
sharing set up), you tried to go somewhere in the "OSX setup" instead of
<https://goo.gl/fdM0hq>.
Idiot. Might it have something to do with the fact that I don't use a
english version of OSX, but a german one? I have to translate the german
stuff to english here, you lunatic twit. If I don't hit the exact same words
as in the english version you are using, it is because I have never seen it
You would also have a hard time to provide the german words for the
different panels in OSX system setup
Your English is actually quite good. Where you screwed up was thinking you
needed to set up networking during SETUP and not by just going to
PREFERNCES.

Those are the concepts. It is not as if you said "SETTINGS" instead of
"PREFERENCES" or the like. THAT would be a language issue... not a concept
one.

Heck, but even then you thought Quit and Exit did different things... even
those concepts are the same. You are just lost with technology.
Post by Peter Köhlmann
Post by Snit
-----
So I end up setting up the VMs on both machines to use "shared
directories" for the dirs in question, and to *additionally* share
them via the "Shares" tab in OSX system setup instead of having
them shared just once in Samba.
-----
And now you are throwing a tantrum and changing your story
You babbling idiot don't even have the slightest idea what I am talking
about.
Sure I do!

[...]

And below you show you understand SOME of what I have told you about NOT
needed to set up SMB when you have shared folders in a VM. You are SLOWLY
learning. Cool!
GreyCloud
2016-07-13 21:33:14 UTC
Post by Marek Novotny
Post by Peter Köhlmann
Post by Marek Novotny
Post by GreyCloud
Post by Peter Köhlmann
Post by GreyCloud
Post by Ron House
Post by DFS
[...]
It isn't. NSA published a long time ago on what to do to make a mac
trusted... like remove the web browser, and any program that accesses
the web.
John Taylor
2016-07-13 22:49:43 UTC
Post by Marek Novotny
Well, the iMac is used by consumers that want to consume content.
Or create content.

Desktop Linux is used by people who like to tinker and waste time.
Takuya Saitoh
2016-07-13 07:13:59 UTC
Post by GreyCloud
Post by Ron House
Post by DFS
<quote>
How to recover directories that spontaneously vanished?
I've got this 1TB external USB hard drive, NTFS formatted[...]
Microsoft kept the specs of NTFS secret. The linux implementation is
re-engineered from tests. This is well known. If you have critical data,
don't keep it in NTFS and use linux.
I use OpenVMS for critical data, as it is redbook B3 rated. No UNIX
that I know of has that rating.
It doesn't run on any hardware yo can buy these days...

Platforms: VAX, Alpha, Itanium

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OpenVMS
GreyCloud
2016-07-13 17:17:14 UTC
Post by Takuya Saitoh
Post by GreyCloud
Post by Ron House
Post by DFS
<quote>
How to recover directories that spontaneously vanished?
I've got this 1TB external USB hard drive, NTFS formatted[...]
Microsoft kept the specs of NTFS secret. The linux implementation is
re-engineered from tests. This is well known. If you have critical data,
don't keep it in NTFS and use linux.
I use OpenVMS for critical data, as it is redbook B3 rated. No UNIX
that I know of has that rating.
It doesn't run on any hardware yo can buy these days...
Platforms: VAX, Alpha, Itanium
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OpenVMS
Check out VSI. They are now porting OpenVMS to x64. There is an
ongoing discussion over in the comp.os.vms newsgroup. There are some
things that they want changed and included from UNIX/Linux. A rather
interesting discussion, and some figure if they do bring over some of
those things, the security will suffer from that. Don't know, but if
they at least maintain 4 rings instead of 2, they shouldn't have any
security problems, but it remains to be seen. At least they acknowledge
that Linux is VMS main competitor now.
But that is because really smart people are putting together their own
linux systems rather than downloading a complete package.
Peter Köhlmann
2016-07-13 18:57:23 UTC
Post by GreyCloud
Post by Takuya Saitoh
Post by GreyCloud
Post by Ron House
Post by DFS
[...]
You do not get any better security just by supporting 4 rings instead of 2
After all, the difference between those rings is just a few instructions
which may / may not be allowed in a ring. It depends on the software in the
end, not on hardware rings
Post by GreyCloud
But that is because really smart people are putting together their own
linux systems rather than downloading a complete package.
No. Really smart people will take a good distro and tinker on that

Except they want to build their very own distro, and not just a fork
GreyCloud
2016-07-13 21:38:35 UTC
Post by Peter Köhlmann
Post by GreyCloud
Post by Takuya Saitoh
Post by GreyCloud
Post by Ron House
Post by DFS
[...]
That's true, however, old DEC people always made sure that the software
was only given so many priviledges that won't put the system at risk.
Post by Peter Köhlmann
Post by GreyCloud
But that is because really smart people are putting together their own
linux systems rather than downloading a complete package.
No. Really smart people will take a good distro and tinker on that
Except they want to build their very own distro, and not just a fork
I've read where they only use the source to build what they need and
most of it is network centric. Most of them aren't interested in the
GUI aspect, so they are claiming to get superior performance over the
old VMS way of doing things. Most are running their own on old RX2600s.
Marek Novotny
2016-07-13 22:24:40 UTC
Post by GreyCloud
Post by Peter Köhlmann
Post by GreyCloud
Post by Takuya Saitoh
Post by GreyCloud
Post by Peter Köhlmann
Post by GreyCloud
But that is because really smart people are putting together their own
linux systems rather than downloading a complete package.
No. Really smart people will take a good distro and tinker on that
Except they want to build their very own distro, and not just a fork
I've read where they only use the source to build what they need and
most of it is network centric. Most of them aren't interested in the
GUI aspect, so they are claiming to get superior performance over the
old VMS way of doing things. Most are running their own on old RX2600s.
My own home servers don't have anything GUI installed at all. I have no
X running on my home boxes. It's just one less attach vector. You can't
break XWindow on my system cause I'm not running it. Both my Red Hat and
Ubuntu servers are just 100% CLI.
John Taylor
2016-07-13 22:51:00 UTC
Post by Marek Novotny
My own home servers don't have anything GUI installed at all.
Does that make you feel superior?
Post by Marek Novotny
I have no
X running on my home boxes.
Good thing because X sucks.
Post by Marek Novotny
It's just one less attach vector. You can't
break XWindow on my system cause I'm not running it. Both my Red Hat and
Ubuntu servers are just 100% CLI.
You can't break what is already broken.
Linux is broken out of the box.
Snit
2016-07-14 00:40:52 UTC
Post by John Taylor
Post by Marek Novotny
My own home servers don't have anything GUI installed at all.
Does that make you feel superior?
I think he wants people to be impressed he is not editing images and movies
directly on his server... or something. Not sure. He has no real point.

Snit
2016-07-14 02:02:20 UTC
On 7/13/16, 3:24 PM, in article
Post by Marek Novotny
Post by GreyCloud
Post by Peter Köhlmann
Post by GreyCloud
But that is because really smart people are putting together their own
linux systems rather than downloading a complete package.
No. Really smart people will take a good distro and tinker on that
Except they want to build their very own distro, and not just a fork
I've read where they only use the source to build what they need and
most of it is network centric. Most of them aren't interested in the
GUI aspect, so they are claiming to get superior performance over the
old VMS way of doing things. Most are running their own on old RX2600s.
My own home servers don't have anything GUI installed at all.
Which is fine but a bizarre thing to take pride in.
GreyCloud
2016-07-14 16:33:41 UTC
Post by Marek Novotny
Post by GreyCloud
Post by Peter Köhlmann
Post by GreyCloud
Post by Takuya Saitoh
Post by GreyCloud
Post by Peter Köhlmann
Post by GreyCloud
But that is because really smart people are putting together their own
linux systems rather than downloading a complete package.
No. Really smart people will take a good distro and tinker on that
Except they want to build their very own distro, and not just a fork
I've read where they only use the source to build what they need and
most of it is network centric. Most of them aren't interested in the
GUI aspect, so they are claiming to get superior performance over the
old VMS way of doing things. Most are running their own on old RX2600s.
My own home servers don't have anything GUI installed at all. I have no
X running on my home boxes. It's just one less attach vector. You can't
break XWindow on my system cause I'm not running it. Both my Red Hat and
Ubuntu servers are just 100% CLI.
The HP/OpenVMS servers are pure CLI now. But HP is also interested in
getting rid of OpenVMS as well. From what I understand it's the end of
the line. HP is pushing for their "The Machine" to eventually make its
debut in the future... don't know what decade that will happen.
Marek Novotny
2016-07-14 20:11:01 UTC
Post by GreyCloud
Post by Marek Novotny
Post by GreyCloud
Post by Peter Köhlmann
Post by GreyCloud
Post by Takuya Saitoh
Post by GreyCloud
Post by Peter Köhlmann
Post by GreyCloud
[...]
I'm not 100% sure but I think I might know what you're talking about.
And I could swear they said something like they were not going to do
whatever that was now. They had some new thing they wanted to do which
was some new architecture, right?
GreyCloud
2016-07-15 01:11:00 UTC
Post by Marek Novotny
Post by GreyCloud
Post by Marek Novotny
Post by GreyCloud
Post by Peter Köhlmann
Post by GreyCloud
Post by Takuya Saitoh
Post by GreyCloud
Post by Peter Köhlmann
Post by GreyCloud
[...]
Pretty much. HP wants colleges to get in on the act of creating a
totally new type of processor. Right now they have the memrister (sp?)
that is supposed to be a lot faster than current ram, but then it gets
down to price.

http://www.labs.hpe.com/research/themachine/

We'll see.
Marek Novotny
2016-07-15 03:23:31 UTC
// snip
Post by GreyCloud
Post by Marek Novotny
I'm not 100% sure but I think I might know what you're talking about.
And I could swear they said something like they were not going to do
whatever that was now. They had some new thing they wanted to do which
was some new architecture, right?
Pretty much. HP wants colleges to get in on the act of creating a
totally new type of processor. Right now they have the memrister (sp?)
that is supposed to be a lot faster than current ram, but then it gets
down to price.
http://www.labs.hpe.com/research/themachine/
We'll see.
Yeah, I'll have to read up about that. I was interested in learning more
about it and was happy to see something potentially new come down the
pipe, but it doesn't look like we're going to see it.

I'd really like to see some new ideas in processor and hardware design.
Not just, faster / smaller.
ronb
2016-07-15 04:14:08 UTC
Post by Marek Novotny
I'd really like to see some new ideas in processor and hardware design.
Not just, faster / smaller.
Like the ARM chips?

(Subject Line corrected to reflect reality.)
Zero tolerance for WinDrones and iCultists
Marek Novotny
2016-07-13 03:00:47 UTC
Post by Ron House
Post by DFS
[...]
I believe you can format a Linux volume as EXT4 and then share it via
Samba such that Windows can read and write to it. So there should be no
reason to use NTFS even for Windows access on Linux. I myself use NFS. I
haven't used Samba for about 2 years so my memory is a little fuzy here
but I don't recall ever having to use NTFS at all.
Alexander Suvorov
2016-07-13 08:09:07 UTC
Hello, Marek Novotny.
Post by Marek Novotny
I believe you can format a Linux volume as EXT4 and then share it
via Samba such that Windows can read and write to it. So there
should be no reason to use NTFS even for Windows access on Linux. I
myself use NFS. I haven't used Samba for about 2 years so my memory
is a little fuzy here but I don't recall ever having to use NTFS at
all.
True. All my HDDs in a network storage are EXT4 formatted. All and any
Linux machines, Android devices, my GF's and accasional guest's Windows
laptops never had any problem accessing them.

--
Best regards! Alexander.
https://www.linuxcounter.net/user/495771
Marek Novotny
2016-07-13 14:32:58 UTC
Post by Alexander Suvorov
Hello, Marek Novotny.
Post by Marek Novotny
I believe you can format a Linux volume as EXT4 and then share it
via Samba such that Windows can read and write to it. So there
should be no reason to use NTFS even for Windows access on Linux. I
myself use NFS. I haven't used Samba for about 2 years so my memory
is a little fuzy here but I don't recall ever having to use NTFS at
all.
True. All my HDDs in a network storage are EXT4 formatted. All and any
Linux machines, Android devices, my GF's and accasional guest's Windows
laptops never had any problem accessing them.
Yeah, I thought so. I have a couple FreeNAS minis and have them shared
with Macs, Windows and Linux and all of that runs on ZFS. I wouldn't
trust NTFS or HFS for anything important to me. HFS is a joke. Looks
like Apple might finally get off their butts and move away from it. Only
took em 25 years.
Snit
2016-07-13 14:47:07 UTC
On 7/13/16, 7:32 AM, in article
Post by Marek Novotny
Post by Alexander Suvorov
Hello, Marek Novotny.
Post by Marek Novotny
I believe you can format a Linux volume as EXT4 and then share it
via Samba such that Windows can read and write to it. So there
should be no reason to use NTFS even for Windows access on Linux. I
myself use NFS. I haven't used Samba for about 2 years so my memory
is a little fuzy here but I don't recall ever having to use NTFS at
all.
True. All my HDDs in a network storage are EXT4 formatted. All and any
Linux machines, Android devices, my GF's and accasional guest's Windows
laptops never had any problem accessing them.
Yeah, I thought so. I have a couple FreeNAS minis and have them shared
with Macs, Windows and Linux and all of that runs on ZFS. I wouldn't
trust NTFS or HFS for anything important to me. HFS is a joke. Looks
like Apple might finally get off their butts and move away from it. Only
took em 25 years.
And yet Peter Köhlmann admits he prefers OS X and Macs over Linux when it
comes to getting actual tasks done:
-----
The last days I prepared 2 OSX machines I intend to take with me
to Berlin, where I will stay for some weeks starting in about 10
days. Reason: Too much luggage, so I will take only a apple laptop
and a iMac instead of the full featured linux rig.
-----
--
* OS X / Linux: What is a file?

* Mint MATE Trash, Panel, Menu:

* Mint KDE working with folders:

* Mint KDE creating files:

* Mint KDE help:

* Mint KDE general navigation:

* Mint KDE bugs or Easter eggs?

* Easy on OS X / Hard on Linux:

* OS / Word Processor Comparison:

GreyCloud
2016-07-13 17:20:31 UTC
Post by Marek Novotny
Post by Alexander Suvorov
Hello, Marek Novotny.
Post by Marek Novotny
I believe you can format a Linux volume as EXT4 and then share it
via Samba such that Windows can read and write to it. So there
should be no reason to use NTFS even for Windows access on Linux. I
myself use NFS. I haven't used Samba for about 2 years so my memory
is a little fuzy here but I don't recall ever having to use NTFS at
all.
True. All my HDDs in a network storage are EXT4 formatted. All and any
Linux machines, Android devices, my GF's and accasional guest's Windows
laptops never had any problem accessing them.
Yeah, I thought so. I have a couple FreeNAS minis and have them shared
with Macs, Windows and Linux and all of that runs on ZFS. I wouldn't
trust NTFS or HFS for anything important to me. HFS is a joke. Looks
like Apple might finally get off their butts and move away from it. Only
took em 25 years.
The old file systems are finally getting close scrutiny. I'm running
ZFS with Solaris 10 and along with Oracles so-called self healing os, it
hasn't given me any troubles whatsoever. At one point when I boot it up
the os was printing out messages saying it can't use the mail services.
Seems like some kind of intermittant memory problems, but the logs
show that I have some ram problems I'll have to address soon. But the
system corrected the problems and it keeps on ticking.
Marek Novotny
2016-07-13 18:31:04 UTC
Post by GreyCloud
Post by Marek Novotny
Post by Alexander Suvorov
Hello, Marek Novotny.
Post by Marek Novotny
[...]
My first UNIX was UNIXware, aka SVr4.2 under Novell's name. Wasn't too
serious about it at that time. Where I got serious about UNIX was on
Solaris 2.5, which I believe was just UFS at the time. And I also used
Veritas Volume Manager on my 30 drive array at the time.

ZFS I like a lot. I think BSD / Solaris has a great file system there.
I'm watching BtrFS mature. It has a ways to go, but it's getting there.
Most of the time I am using EXT4 or XFS on my personal drives, and ZFS
with the FreeNAS. I'm almost at the three year mark with Linux and I am
not sure how long I've been using ZFS. It is my always on array first at
home personally, and now at work as well. I rant it for maybe 18 months
24/7 at home, and I have several machines there, seriously it's a mini
lab. So a short while I brought FreeNAS to work as well.

Now we're getting into 4k video so I'm thinking it's time for 10GB
Ethernet and TrueNAS. My employer is on board with my request for a 10
core XEON for myself with 10GB Ethernet. I rarely ask for anything and
almost always buy my own gear. But calculating a hash on these large
files and moving things around is now taking to long on their current
systems. What I have at home completely destroys what I have at work.
And what I want to build needs to completely destroy what I have at
home. I need to be able to calculate and reassemble multiple 200 GB
files simultaneously. I'm thinking threads now. And a lot of bandwidth
between machine and storage array.

Used to be 50 GB was the large file and 7.95 GB was the small file. Now
50 GB is the small file and larger files are 200 plus GB. I want to move
those around or read can calculate them in a couple minutes.

Don't want JokeOS and JokeFS around this much data. I will probably have
to process and store 20 to 30 files of that size per day at minimum.
Some days less, some days a lot more. So larger projects are 36 to 45 of
of these for one project.
Peter Köhlmann
2016-07-13 18:53:24 UTC
Post by Marek Novotny
Post by GreyCloud
Post by Marek Novotny
Post by Alexander Suvorov
Hello, Marek Novotny.
Post by Marek Novotny
[...]
Think about Link aggregation too for your network speeds

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Link_aggregation
Marek Novotny
2016-07-13 19:07:14 UTC
Post by Peter Köhlmann
Post by Marek Novotny
Post by GreyCloud
Post by Marek Novotny
Post by Alexander Suvorov
Hello, Marek Novotny.
Post by Marek Novotny
[...]
yeah, my Cisco supports it and I my FreeNAS has 4 x 1 GB Ethernet, plus
a 5th for ipmi.
John Taylor
2016-07-13 22:41:53 UTC
Post by Marek Novotny
Don't want JokeOS and JokeFS around this much data. I will probably have
to process and store 20 to 30 files of that size per day at minimum.
Some days less, some days a lot more. So larger projects are 36 to 45 of
of these for one project.
Yet you depend upon Apple and Microsoft products to fill in the large
gaps left by your operating system of choice, Linux.
You and Peter Kohlmann have a lot in common.
DFS
2016-07-14 13:53:31 UTC
Post by Marek Novotny
Now we're getting into 4k video so I'm thinking it's time for 10GB
Ethernet and TrueNAS. My employer is on board with my request for a 10
core XEON for myself with 10GB Ethernet. I rarely ask for anything and
almost always buy my own gear. But calculating a hash on these large
files and moving things around is now taking to long on their current
systems. What I have at home completely destroys what I have at work.
And what I want to build needs to completely destroy what I have at
home. I need to be able to calculate and reassemble multiple 200 GB
files simultaneously.
How do you 'calculate' a file?
Post by Marek Novotny
I'm thinking threads now. And a lot of bandwidth
between machine and storage array.
Used to be 50 GB was the large file and 7.95 GB was the small file. Now
50 GB is the small file and larger files are 200 plus GB.
That's huge. How many minutes/hrs of 4K video in a 200GB file?
Post by Marek Novotny
I want to move
those around or read can calculate them in a couple minutes.
Don't want JokeOS and JokeFS around this much data.
I bet Windows/NTFS is significantly faster than Linux/ext4 at
moving/copying them.

It definitely is for small groups of files of size 1GB to 4GB.
Marek Novotny
2016-07-14 16:19:21 UTC
Post by DFS
Post by Marek Novotny
Now we're getting into 4k video so I'm thinking it's time for 10GB
Ethernet and TrueNAS. My employer is on board with my request for a 10
core XEON for myself with 10GB Ethernet. I rarely ask for anything and
almost always buy my own gear. But calculating a hash on these large
files and moving things around is now taking to long on their current
systems. What I have at home completely destroys what I have at work.
And what I want to build needs to completely destroy what I have at
home. I need to be able to calculate and reassemble multiple 200 GB
files simultaneously.
How do you 'calculate' a file?
I just use the built in Linux command to calculate the SHA hash for the
file.

$ man shasum
Post by DFS
Post by Marek Novotny
I'm thinking threads now. And a lot of bandwidth
between machine and storage array.
Used to be 50 GB was the large file and 7.95 GB was the small file. Now
50 GB is the small file and larger files are 200 plus GB.
That's huge. How many minutes/hrs of 4K video in a 200GB file?
That depends on the codec and the compression. I don't really have a
standard. And I'm not getting these in mass just yet. My fear is that I
will soon get them in mass. I am basically comparing what happened when
we started to do Blu-ray and how it differed from DVD. And so I am
projecting forward that 4k will made Blu-ray seem small.

With DVD, the DVD itself can be no more than around 7.95 GB. And that
over my current network can be tested with Eclipse at about 2:21 per
layer. There are two layers. The vary a little in size. Layer0 is always
slightly larger than Layer1. It's a physics problem. The laser in an OTP
can go further inbound than it went outbound.

The Blu-ray is much larger, assuming it is a BD50, it can be up to 49
GBs. And so that obviously takes longer to move and test. And by test I
mean all I have to do is run Eclipse on the data that is on a NAS over
the network. It doesn't have to write. It just has to be able to read
the entirety of the image to analyze it for specification violations. So
read performance is good.

One machine takes the image I am given and automates uploading it to the
NAS. Another machine runs the Eclipse testing. Aspera is used to obtain
the image. Often I am given just a BDMV and I'll have to convert that to
a BDCMF for replication. AACS has to be added. It goes from TYPE A, to B
to C then becomes glass master, then a stamper is made for injection
manufacturing.

Basically, I want to move data as little as possible, read it from
various computers from its central location. And I need to archive it.
Post by DFS
Post by Marek Novotny
I want to move
those around or read can calculate them in a couple minutes.
Don't want JokeOS and JokeFS around this much data.
I bet Windows/NTFS is significantly faster than Linux/ext4 at
moving/copying them.
You're probably not paying attention to things like sector sizes. A ways
back I showed how quickly my Dell M4800 laptop to copy a large file from
drive to drive, which are all SSD. I forget now what it was. I think it
37 GB or 41 GB, and I did it in 21 seconds or something around that.

On the network I have Gigabit Ethernet as a bottleneck. And I some of
the boxes are not good boxes for this. One is the Mac Mini I was using
as a server that I mentioned. That needs to be replaced with something
else. That might become a Xeon 10c box. It's the wrong tool for the job.
Originally I bought it because I just wanted to work out how I would do
this in the first place. I wrote it all in bash and automated most of
it.

Now that my employer sees it, he's bought off on the concept. So now the
next step is to build this same basic thing, but faster, and likely
without a Mac as I want a different network for all this and I don't
wish to use a garbage can mac.

So far I pretty much have a green light to move this forward.
Post by DFS
It definitely is for small groups of files of size 1GB to 4GB.
We'll have to set up some kind of test. I'd be happy to test that. I
have all that hardware here and can run such a test. But I think what
I'll have to do is use the same machine for both Windows and Linux so
that the hardware inside is 100% identical.

And if your horse wins it wins. I can tell you that for fames per second
Windows wins on the Nexuiz game I like to play. But then I can also tell
you that if your GPU driver on Windows craps it takes the whole system
down. Linux doesn't really work like that. We don't sacrifice stability
for speed. Consumer toys play that game to give consumers what they
want. We're not really in that mind-set.
Peter Köhlmann
2016-07-14 16:57:08 UTC
Post by Marek Novotny
Post by DFS
Post by Marek Novotny
I want to move
those around or read can calculate them in a couple minutes.
Don't want JokeOS and JokeFS around this much data.
I bet Windows/NTFS is significantly faster than Linux/ext4 at
moving/copying them.
It definitely is for small groups of files of size 1GB to 4GB.
We'll have to set up some kind of test. I'd be happy to test that.
It has been tested often. EXT4 is at least twice as fast as NTFS is, on all
file sizes.
Apples HFS was the slowest FS, by a very wide margin. Then came NTFS. It was
much faster than HFS, but it was slower than *all* linux filesystems. EXT4
was the fastest overall.
Snit
Peter Köhlmann
2016-07-14 20:04:10 UTC
Post by Snit
Post by Peter Köhlmann
Post by Marek Novotny
Post by DFS
I bet Windows/NTFS is significantly faster than Linux/ext4 at
moving/copying them.
It definitely is for small groups of files of size 1GB to 4GB.
We'll have to set up some kind of test. I'd be happy to test that.
It has been tested often. EXT4 is at least twice as fast as NTFS is, on
all file sizes.
Apples HFS was the slowest FS, by a very wide margin. Then came NTFS. It
was much faster than HFS, but it was slower than *all* linux filesystems.
EXT4 was the fastest overall.
Evidence?
Snit Michael Glasser now claims that he can't do google searches.
Why am I not surprised?
Snit
2016-07-14 20:36:21 UTC
Post by Snit
Post by Peter Köhlmann
Post by Marek Novotny
Post by DFS
I bet Windows/NTFS is significantly faster than Linux/ext4 at
moving/copying them.
It definitely is for small groups of files of size 1GB to 4GB.
We'll have to set up some kind of test. I'd be happy to test that.
It has been tested often. EXT4 is at least twice as fast as NTFS is, on
all file sizes.
Apples HFS was the slowest FS, by a very wide margin. Then came NTFS. It
was much faster than HFS, but it was slower than *all* linux filesystems.
EXT4 was the fastest overall.
Evidence?
Snit Michael Glasser now claims that he can't do google searches.
Why am I not surprised?
In other words you have NO evidence to your claim so you are hoping others
with more skills can help you.
Peter Köhlmann
2016-07-14 21:56:29 UTC
Post by Snit
Post by Peter Köhlmann
Post by Marek Novotny
Post by DFS
I bet Windows/NTFS is significantly faster than Linux/ext4 at
moving/copying them.
It definitely is for small groups of files of size 1GB to 4GB.
We'll have to set up some kind of test. I'd be happy to test that.
It has been tested often. EXT4 is at least twice as fast as NTFS is, on
all file sizes.
Apples HFS was the slowest FS, by a very wide margin. Then came NTFS.
It was much faster than HFS, but it was slower than *all* linux
filesystems. EXT4 was the fastest overall.
Evidence?
Snit Michael Glasser now claims that he can't do google searches.
Why am I not surprised?
In other words you have NO evidence to your claim so you are hoping others
with more skills can help you.
In other words you admit that you are unable to do google searches about
file system benchmarks
Snit
2016-07-14 22:01:29 UTC
Post by Peter Köhlmann
Post by Snit
Post by Peter Köhlmann
Snit Michael Glasser now claims that he can't do google searches.
Why am I not surprised?
In other words you have NO evidence to your claim so you are hoping others
with more skills can help you.
In other words you admit that you are unable to do google searches about
file system benchmarks
LOL! You make a claim you cannot support then mock me for not backing YOUR
claim.

DFS
2016-07-14 17:27:33 UTC
Post by Peter Köhlmann
It has been tested often. EXT4 is at least twice as fast as NTFS is, on all
file sizes.
My tests on my system didn't show that, at all.

NTFS was significantly faster than ext4 to copy large (1GB to 4GB) files.
Peter Köhlmann
2016-07-14 20:03:07 UTC
Post by DFS
Post by Peter Köhlmann
It has been tested often. EXT4 is at least twice as fast as NTFS is, on
all file sizes.
My tests on my system didn't show that, at all.
NTFS was significantly faster than ext4 to copy large (1GB to 4GB) files.
Your "tests" are crap. And you know that. There are professionals who do
such benchmarks, and all of them would roll on the floor and laugh
histerically about your "tests"
DFS
2016-07-14 20:09:09 UTC
Post by Peter Köhlmann
Post by DFS
Post by Peter Köhlmann
It has been tested often. EXT4 is at least twice as fast as NTFS is, on
all file sizes.
My tests on my system didn't show that, at all.
NTFS was significantly faster than ext4 to copy large (1GB to 4GB) files.
Your "tests" are crap. And you know that. There are professionals who do
such benchmarks, and all of them would roll on the floor and laugh
histerically about your "tests"
My benchmarks are /better/ than theirs. Mine are real world, using a
few larger files at a time, copying them from one folder to another on
the same partition, using the Terminal or PowerShell.

And in my tests, Windows/NTFS absolutely kicked Linux/ext4's ass. By 30%.
Peter Köhlmann
And you are stupid, too
DFS
2016-07-14 20:27:34 UTC
Post by Peter Köhlmann
Post by DFS
Post by Peter Köhlmann
Post by DFS
Post by Peter Köhlmann
It has been tested often. EXT4 is at least twice as fast as NTFS is, on
all file sizes.
My tests on my system didn't show that, at all.
NTFS was significantly faster than ext4 to copy large (1GB to 4GB) files.
Your "tests" are crap. And you know that. There are professionals who do
such benchmarks, and all of them would roll on the floor and laugh
histerically about your "tests"
My benchmarks are /better/ than theirs. Mine are real world, using a
few larger files at a time, copying them from one folder to another on
the same partition, using the Terminal or PowerShell.
And in my tests, Windows/NTFS absolutely kicked Linux/ext4's ass. By 30%.
And you are stupid, too
Snit: "How much of the original Linux code is in the current
Linux code?"

Dumbkopf: "Very little. Just look at the line count of the kernels
alone"

Moron.
Snit
Snit
2016-07-14 20:35:21 UTC
Post by Peter Köhlmann
Post by DFS
Post by Peter Köhlmann
Post by DFS
Post by Peter Köhlmann
It has been tested often. EXT4 is at least twice as fast as NTFS is, on
all file sizes.
My tests on my system didn't show that, at all.
NTFS was significantly faster than ext4 to copy large (1GB to 4GB) files.
Your "tests" are crap. And you know that. There are professionals who do
such benchmarks, and all of them would roll on the floor and laugh
histerically about your "tests"
My benchmarks are /better/ than theirs. Mine are real world, using a
few larger files at a time, copying them from one folder to another on
the same partition, using the Terminal or PowerShell.
And in my tests, Windows/NTFS absolutely kicked Linux/ext4's ass. By 30%.
And you are stupid, too
Ah, such good support you bring to back your point!
Snit
2016-07-14 20:36:47 UTC
Post by Peter Köhlmann
Post by DFS
Post by Peter Köhlmann
It has been tested often. EXT4 is at least twice as fast as NTFS is, on
all file sizes.
My tests on my system didn't show that, at all.
NTFS was significantly faster than ext4 to copy large (1GB to 4GB) files.
Your "tests" are crap. And you know that. There are professionals who do
such benchmarks, and all of them would roll on the floor and laugh
histerically about your "tests"
You mean the benchmarks you ask OTHERS to find for you, right?
Marek Novotny
2016-07-14 19:56:33 UTC
Post by Peter Köhlmann
Post by Marek Novotny
Post by DFS
Post by Marek Novotny
I want to move
those around or read can calculate them in a couple minutes.
Don't want JokeOS and JokeFS around this much data.
I bet Windows/NTFS is significantly faster than Linux/ext4 at
moving/copying them.
It definitely is for small groups of files of size 1GB to 4GB.
We'll have to set up some kind of test. I'd be happy to test that.
It has been tested often. EXT4 is at least twice as fast as NTFS is, on all
file sizes.
Apples HFS was the slowest FS, by a very wide margin. Then came NTFS. It was
much faster than HFS, but it was slower than *all* linux filesystems. EXT4
was the fastest overall.
Well, anyone here can test such a thing. So I'll leave that up to those
that care. Machine characteristics will of course play a role in the
results. So it's best if one person uses the same exact machine running
both OSes.
DFS
2016-07-14 20:06:58 UTC
Post by Marek Novotny
Post by Peter Köhlmann
It has been tested often. EXT4 is at least twice as fast as NTFS is, on all
file sizes.
Apples HFS was the slowest FS, by a very wide margin. Then came NTFS. It was
much faster than HFS, but it was slower than *all* linux filesystems. EXT4
was the fastest overall.
Well, anyone here can test such a thing. So I'll leave that up to those
that care. Machine characteristics will of course play a role in the
results. So it's best if one person uses the same exact machine running
both OSes.
Which is exactly what I did in Apr 2015.

Dual-boot
* Mint 17.1 Cinnamon 64-bit
* Windows Server 2012 R2 64-bit (eval version)

Linux and ext4 filesystem

***@mint17 ~/Desktop $ ls -l *.iso
-rw------- 1 dfs dfs 4148166656 Oct 15 2014 CentOS.iso
-rw------- 1 dfs dfs 1480048640 Feb 23 19:50 Manjaro.iso

***@mint17 ~/Desktop $ time cp Manjaro.iso /home/dfs/Downloads
real 0m14.473s
user 0m0.008s
sys 0m2.960s

***@mint17 ~/Desktop $ time cp CentOS.iso /home/dfs/Downloads
real 0m43.194s
user 0m0.046s
sys 0m8.354s

57.7 seconds to copy 2 big files.

Windows and NTFS filesystem:

PS C:\Users\DFS\desktop> dir

Mode LastWriteTime Length Name
---- ------------- ------ ----
-a--- 10/15/2014 1:00 PM 4148166656 CentOS.iso
-a--- 2/23/2015 7:50 PM 1480048640 Manjaro.iso

PS C:\Users\DFS\desktop> Measure-Command {Copy-Item
c:\users\dfs\desktop\Manjaro.iso c:\users\dfs\downloads}
TotalSeconds : 8.8013274

PS C:\Users\DFS\desktop> Measure-Command {Copy-Item
c:\users\dfs\desktop\CentOS.iso c:\users\dfs\downloads}
TotalSeconds : 35.5849752

44.4 seconds for the same 2 files.

57.7 / 44.4 = 1.2996

The most popular hobbyware "operating system" was 30% slower than
Windows Server 2012 at copying 2 large files.

30%?!?!

Say it ain't so!
Marek Novotny
2016-07-14 20:51:09 UTC
Post by DFS
Post by Marek Novotny
Post by Peter Köhlmann
[...]
And what I am saying is that no one has to take your word for it. They
can easily run the same test on their own machine and get the answer
themselves. I'd be willing to bet almost no one will run the test cause
I doubt anyone cares honestly.

I wouldn't put my assets into an NTFS file system in the first place.
I'd want something else like ZFS or XFS. For my own desktop, I'd want
EXT4 or XFS. I would never choose NTFS. I have no intention of using
Windows as a file server.
JEDIDIAH
2016-07-13 20:36:56 UTC
Post by Marek Novotny
Post by DFS
<quote>
How to recover directories that spontaneously vanished?
I've got this 1TB external USB hard drive, NTFS formatted[...]
[deletia]
Post by Marek Novotny
I believe you can format a Linux volume as EXT4 and then share it via
Samba such that Windows can read and write to it. So there should be no
reason to use NTFS even for Windows access on Linux. I myself use NFS. I
haven't used Samba for about 2 years so my memory is a little fuzy here
but I don't recall ever having to use NTFS at all.
I would only ever use NTFS if I expected to share that disk physically
with a Windows box. Otherwise, I would use some Linux native file system.
DFS
2016-07-13 14:00:05 UTC
Post by Ron House
<quote> How to recover directories that spontaneously vanished?
I've got this 1TB external USB hard drive, NTFS formatted[...]
Microsoft kept the specs of NTFS secret. The linux implementation is
re-engineered from tests. This is well known. If you have critical
data, don't keep it in NTFS and use linux.
Better yet: don't use Linux.
Post by Ron House
I use my NTFS partition solely for communication with windows. At
least I did, but I don't boot doze any more. In any case, there is no
evidence at all here that this was a fault of linux.
Sure there was - you just didn't read the thread:

Post #5: "Per your suggestion I plugged the drive into a Win10 laptop
and the drive mounted normally... no dialog suggesting error correction
came up."
Post by Ron House
And you ignore the many happy success stories of users getting back
data from NTFS using linux when doze failed.
There were no such 'success stories' in that thread for me to ignore.
Post by Ron House
My own story: Many hard hours creating a file on doze, went to save
the latest version, and it told me it was created by a different
user! Couldn't save, couldn't print, lost file.
Never heard of that one, and it never happened to me in many, many years
of Windows usage.

What version of Windows? What version of what app?

Why didn't you copy-paste to a new file and save?

How did you resolve the issue - it must've happened again.
And 'Sometimes Linux randomly freezes for months on end'.
JEDIDIAH
2016-07-13 20:34:10 UTC
Post by Ron House
Post by DFS
<quote>
How to recover directories that spontaneously vanished?
I've got this 1TB external USB hard drive, NTFS formatted[...]
I've had a Linux fileserver running off of an NTFS volume with no
problem. It was certainly not my first choice, but it was an otherwise
all Windows office. If the server died, it would be easy to mount that
volume on another machine in the office.
Yup.
DFS
2016-07-13 08:05:13 UTC
Directories that spontaneously vanished? <quote> How to rectories that
spontaneously vanished? <quote> How to rectories that spontaneously.

The drive? </quote> I've got there a way earlier.. That I could
netbook they were a day the sub-directories remained on the netbook
the netbook running Linux directories inside of that I leave runchbang
with of all there the drive? </quote> I've got in Transmission. The
Cruns an older version. The 197GB worth Transmission. I leave got that
were netbook that I kid you not: about 95% of vanished: the suggest a
way this 1TB external USB hard drive, NTFS formatted, an of all inside
on an older version. The sub-directories remained drive? </quote> I've
runs an old locate that I kid you not: about 95% of
"TRANSMISSION_EXTERNAL" had vanished drive? </quote> I've got they
were netbook running with of that I could locate that I could locate
the hund it's on of vanished: they were to be formatted, and it's on
an old netbook that I suggest a way earlier. I could netbook that I
could netbook runchbang 24/7. I leave runs an of
"TRANSMISSION_EXTERNAL" hard drive: not the 197GB worth Trash, or P2P
fileshard drive? </quote> I've got intact somewhere the suspectories
remained drive? </quote> I've got that I leave got the hund it's on
that I leave runs and it's on the netbook the Crunning 24/7 for P2P
fileshard directories remained directories remained drive? </quote>
I've got there of the netbook that I kid you now BusenLabs Linux).

Http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2327410 5 posts at
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2327410 5 posts at
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2327410.

Linux! Welco tome to Welcome tomelco.

You it? Dow yow do ike yo do you HoHow.