Installed macOS 12 Monterey
Branimir Maksimovic
2021-07-18 13:39:17 UTC
Upgrade went smooth. I will report findings. So far it seems they improved recovery on OOM
condition and memory managament generally.
bmaxa now listens Ob-Neob Radio
Branimir Maksimovic
2021-07-18 14:35:55 UTC
Post by Branimir Maksimovic
Upgrade went smooth. I will report findings. So far it seems they improved recovery on OOM
condition and memory managament generally.
Stable as rock couldn't crash it, no way. On OOM condition didn't crash just logged me out :P
So Monterey is Big Sur with bugs fixed :P
bmaxa now listens Ob-Neob Radio
Rabid Roach
2021-07-18 15:00:15 UTC
Post by Branimir Maksimovic
Upgrade went smooth. I will report findings. So far it seems they improved recovery on OOM
condition and memory managament generally.
Exciting stuff. My cumulative update to Windows 10 21H1 also went smooth
and my penis grew three sizes since.
--
Rabid Roach
John 15:18
"Science is a differential equation; religion is a boundary condition."
dfs
They call me Tripod
Rabid Roach
2021-07-18 15:52:41 UTC
Post by Rabid Roach
Post by Branimir Maksimovic
Upgrade went smooth. I will report findings. So far it seems they improved recovery on OOM
condition and memory managament generally.
Exciting stuff. My cumulative update to Windows 10 21H1 also went smooth
and my penis grew three sizes since.
Well, can you play 12GB game in 8GB ram with 60FPS without swap?
:P
Why would I feel that I need to?
Monterey also improved compression by at least 33%, so that with 8GB of RAM
you have ~12+GB depending on compressability of data :P
I noticed that many of the benefits of your Mac are similar to those
offered by modern cars. They're nice, but entirely useless to the
regular driver. To give you an idea, what you just described is like
telling me that you have access to Sirius XM and I don't, as if that was
somehow a feature for a person who likes to listen to his own music
collection at all times. Similarly, it would be like you telling me that
you are the only one of us who has access to the Howard Stern Show,
programming which, when it was available in Montreal, had a guy fart
into the microphone for 45 minutes straight before being cancelled
altogether the next day.

I'm sure it's great, but much of what it offers is of no consequence to
me. It's nice that it can play a game well. The problem is that it can
only play a fraction of the games that a user has available to them in
Windows which also plays those games better. I also like games made _by_
Microsoft and Microsoft-owned ID and Bethesda which won't be available
for the Mac at all.
Branimir Maksimovic
2021-07-18 16:25:17 UTC
Post by Rabid Roach
Post by Rabid Roach
Post by Branimir Maksimovic
Upgrade went smooth. I will report findings. So far it seems they improved recovery on OOM
condition and memory managament generally.
Exciting stuff. My cumulative update to Windows 10 21H1 also went smooth
and my penis grew three sizes since.
Well, can you play 12GB game in 8GB ram with 60FPS without swap?
:P
Why would I feel that I need to?
If you have Mac you would be glad, this is for Mac users :P
Post by Rabid Roach
[...]
Well thanks to Valve almost all Windows games work decently on Linux.
I play Doom Eternal, Skyrim, Oblivion and Morrowind on Linux no problem
(and Stream from Linux ti Mac :P)
Same can be done to macOS, but it is not in Valve's interrest...
bmaxa now listens respect yourself by The Selecter from Cruel Britannia
Stéphane CARPENTIER
2021-07-18 18:49:42 UTC
Post by Rabid Roach
Post by Rabid Roach
Post by Branimir Maksimovic
Upgrade went smooth. I will report findings. So far it seems they improved recovery on OOM
condition and memory managament generally.
Exciting stuff. My cumulative update to Windows 10 21H1 also went smooth
and my penis grew three sizes since.
Well, can you play 12GB game in 8GB ram with 60FPS without swap?
:P
Why would I feel that I need to?
If you have Mac you would be glad, this is for Mac users :P
If you have Mac, you can afford 4Go RAM and you don't need that feature
anymore.
--
Si vous avez du temps à perdre :
https://scarpet42.gitlab.io
Branimir Maksimovic
2021-07-18 20:57:25 UTC
Post by Rabid Roach
Post by Rabid Roach
Post by Branimir Maksimovic
Upgrade went smooth. I will report findings. So far it seems they improved recovery on OOM
condition and memory managament generally.
Exciting stuff. My cumulative update to Windows 10 21H1 also went smooth
and my penis grew three sizes since.
Well, can you play 12GB game in 8GB ram with 60FPS without swap?
:P
Why would I feel that I need to?
If you have Mac you would be glad, this is for Mac users :P
If you have Mac, you can afford 4Go RAM and you don't need that feature
anymore.
Well, maximum for M1 is 16GB, would you be glad if you can use it like
24GB :p
bmaxa now listens Sorry by Madonna from Confessions On A Dance Floor
F Russell
2021-07-18 22:23:14 UTC
Post by Branimir Maksimovic
Well, maximum for M1 is 16GB, would you be glad if you can use it like
24GB :p
It depends on what is being stored.

For compressed images (jpg, png, etc) or video (mpg, mp4, etc) or
documents (odt, ods, etc) it would make no fucking difference.

Standard FS block size is 4096 bytes and any files smaller will still
consume the entire block. Except with Reiserfs that can stuff smaller
files into the 4096 block.

Compression/decompression takes time and I would rather use
Reiserfs for my HTML storage than some stupid comp/decomp.

For ordinary files (i.e. executables, libraries, etc) who the fuck would
care?
--
Systemd free. D.E. free.

Always and forever.
Branimir Maksimovic
2021-07-19 00:44:48 UTC
Post by F Russell
Post by Branimir Maksimovic
Well, maximum for M1 is 16GB, would you be glad if you can use it like
24GB :p
It depends on what is being stored.
For compressed images (jpg, png, etc) or video (mpg, mp4, etc) or
documents (odt, ods, etc) it would make no fucking difference.
Standard FS block size is 4096 bytes and any files smaller will still
consume the entire block. Except with Reiserfs that can stuff smaller
files into the 4096 block.
Compression/decompression takes time and I would rather use
Reiserfs for my HTML storage than some stupid comp/decomp.
For ordinary files (i.e. executables, libraries, etc) who the fuck would
care?
You missed the point, this is about compressing process VM, not jpegs :P
bmaxa now listens Svadbas - Treblebass.ogg
Rabid Roach
2021-07-19 00:46:34 UTC
Post by Rabid Roach
Post by Rabid Roach
Post by Branimir Maksimovic
Upgrade went smooth. I will report findings. So far it seems they improved recovery on OOM
condition and memory managament generally.
Exciting stuff. My cumulative update to Windows 10 21H1 also went smooth
and my penis grew three sizes since.
Well, can you play 12GB game in 8GB ram with 60FPS without swap?
:P
Why would I feel that I need to?
If you have Mac you would be glad, this is for Mac users :P
If you have Mac, you can afford 4Go RAM and you don't need that feature
anymore.
Well, maximum for M1 is 16GB, would you be glad if you can use it like
24GB :p
That would be hot, Branimir.
Rabid Roach
2021-07-18 19:35:34 UTC
Post by Rabid Roach
Post by Rabid Roach
Post by Branimir Maksimovic
Upgrade went smooth. I will report findings. So far it seems they improved recovery on OOM
condition and memory managament generally.
Exciting stuff. My cumulative update to Windows 10 21H1 also went smooth
and my penis grew three sizes since.
Well, can you play 12GB game in 8GB ram with 60FPS without swap?
:P
Why would I feel that I need to?
If you have Mac you would be glad, this is for Mac users :P
I had no idea I was in comp.sys.mac.advocacy.
Post by Rabid Roach
[...]
The games you mentioned are titled Bethesda developed before Microsoft
purchased the company so I suppose that's why they're available to Mac
users. Look, if everything works fine, that's great. If I had gotten a
Macbook Pro, it would have been to circumvent the fact that the wireless
chip in this machine decides to commit suicide every so often and I
don't think Apple ones ever do anything but work right. The M1 would
have been a bonus, but the lack of a GPU would have been an issue for
me. Actually, I should probably research how well games play on the M1
versus this RTX3060 of mine for shits and giggles...

... and there's little to no information with real-world tests.
Branimir Maksimovic
2021-07-18 20:59:15 UTC
Post by Rabid Roach
Post by Rabid Roach
Post by Branimir Maksimovic
Upgrade went smooth. I will report findings. So far it seems they improved recovery on OOM
condition and memory managament generally.
Exciting stuff. My cumulative update to Windows 10 21H1 also went smooth
and my penis grew three sizes since.
Well, can you play 12GB game in 8GB ram with 60FPS without swap?
:P
Why would I feel that I need to?
If you have Mac you would be glad, this is for Mac users :P
I had no idea I was in comp.sys.mac.advocacy.
I had no idea I was in comp.talk.politics :p
Post by Rabid Roach
[...]
Rabid Roach
2021-07-19 00:47:29 UTC
Post by Rabid Roach
Post by Rabid Roach
Post by Branimir Maksimovic
Upgrade went smooth. I will report findings. So far it seems they improved recovery on OOM
condition and memory managament generally.
Exciting stuff. My cumulative update to Windows 10 21H1 also went smooth
and my penis grew three sizes since.
Well, can you play 12GB game in 8GB ram with 60FPS without swap?
:P
Why would I feel that I need to?
If you have Mac you would be glad, this is for Mac users :P
I had no idea I was in comp.sys.mac.advocacy.
I had no idea I was in comp.talk.politics :p
Touché.
Post by Rabid Roach
[...]
I have no idea what that is. I just install Need for Speed Heat which
runs at 1080p, Ultra on this machine and I'm also playing Assassin's
Creed Valhalla on the Xbox Series S.
Branimir Maksimovic
2021-07-19 03:22:11 UTC
Post by Rabid Roach
[...]
Well, I don't have Need for Speed Heat :P
Hm, 70 euros :P
And Windows only :P
But! How long you can play it on battery!?
bmaxa now listens Tantric Sexuality by Llewellyn and Leora Lightwoman from Tantric Sexuality
Rabid Roach
2021-07-19 12:25:53 UTC
Post by Rabid Roach
[...]
I tend not to game on battery but from what the reports pre-purchase
gave me, you can play about 90 minutes. If you're telling me that you
can play games, in high quality, for four hours or more then that's
impressive but I can't help but notice that Apple has lied about the
battery life of its M1 hardware:
<https://www.forbes.com/sites/brookecrothers/2021/02/21/this-kills-m1-macbook-pro-battery-life/>

As for the Windows-only comment, yes. That's exactly the point. Most
games are Windows-only and the ones I like to play the most definitely
are. I'm a Ubisoft guy and I tend not to miss any Far Cry or Assassin's
Creed game. I COULD have bought a M1 Mac and played all of those games
on the Xbox Series S but why would I limit myself on my portable
hardware for a wonderful processor which provides me no personal
benefit? I also love the Need for Speed series and if it's not on the
Mac then neither am I. Add to that the fact that with the Xbox Game Pass
Ultimate, I get the Need for Speed games AND games like Forza Horizon,
NHL or FIFA for less than $20 a month and suddenly, that Mac isn't
looking too good.

Best of luck to Photoshop and Final Cut Pro users obsessed with
"improved productivity and error-reduction" but that Mac, to me, is a
hard sell.
Branimir Maksimovic
2021-07-19 12:48:04 UTC
Post by Rabid Roach
[...]
Well last night I played 5 hours on battery before charge level went red :P
Battery lastst around 14 hours on average with compiling and executing
benchmarks :P
Most cool thing is that laptop does not have fan and it is only warm :P
Post by Rabid Roach
As for the Windows-only comment, yes. That's exactly the point. Most
games are Windows-only and the ones I like to play the most definitely
are. I'm a Ubisoft guy and I tend not to miss any Far Cry or Assassin's
Creed game. I COULD have bought a M1 Mac and played all of those games
on the Xbox Series S but why would I limit myself on my portable
hardware for a wonderful processor which provides me no personal
benefit?
Well, I bought it to program CPU in assembler, no other reason.
Just wanted to see is it really that good? And it is...
eg M1 on 3.2Ghz spews about same scimark2 score as 5800X on 4.9Ghz :P

Post by Rabid Roach
Mac then neither am I. Add to that the fact that with the Xbox Game Pass
Ultimate, I get the Need for Speed games AND games like Forza Horizon,
NHL or FIFA for less than $20 a month and suddenly, that Mac isn't
looking too good.
Best of luck to Photoshop and Final Cut Pro users obsessed with
"improved productivity and error-reduction" but that Mac, to me, is a
hard sell.
Well, M1 is too early, but will blow out x86 based laptops anytime :P
bmaxa now listens Ready Men by Big Black from The Rich Man's Eight Track Tape
Rabid Roach
2021-07-19 12:53:19 UTC
Post by Rabid Roach
[...]
That's very cool.
Post by Rabid Roach
As for the Windows-only comment, yes. That's exactly the point. Most
games are Windows-only and the ones I like to play the most definitely
are. I'm a Ubisoft guy and I tend not to miss any Far Cry or Assassin's
Creed game. I COULD have bought a M1 Mac and played all of those games
on the Xbox Series S but why would I limit myself on my portable
hardware for a wonderful processor which provides me no personal
benefit?
Well, I bought it to program CPU in assembler, no other reason.
Just wanted to see is it really that good? And it is...
eg M1 on 3.2Ghz spews about same scimark2 score as 5800X on 4.9Ghz :P
That's very cool too.
Post by Rabid Roach
I also love the Need for Speed series and if it's not on the
Mac then neither am I. Add to that the fact that with the Xbox Game Pass
Ultimate, I get the Need for Speed games AND games like Forza Horizon,
NHL or FIFA for less than $20 a month and suddenly, that Mac isn't
looking too good.
Best of luck to Photoshop and Final Cut Pro users obsessed with
"improved productivity and error-reduction" but that Mac, to me, is a
hard sell.
Well, M1 is too early, but will blow out x86 based laptops anytime :P
Well, if Intel and AMD's history is anything to go by, they won't just
sit back and let Apple decimate them forever. It's just a matter of time
before they respond with a similar processor and Windows and its
software is available in ARM form too. Of course, Apple's approach seems
to be a reinvention of the whole computer rather than just the processor
so who knows if it will happen and how.
Branimir Maksimovic
2021-07-19 12:58:48 UTC
Post by Rabid Roach
[...]
Intel & AMD are not worried as M1 sells only with Apple, non issue for them :P
bmaxa now listens Ready Men by Big Black from The Rich Man's Eight Track Tape
Rabid Roach
2021-07-19 13:10:50 UTC
Post by Rabid Roach
[...]
Well, it _will_ become an issue as people who are looking for a
long-lasting machine that is simultaneously quiet yet powerful will only
look to Apple in the future if they aren't already. We are no longer
living in an age where people are holding onto the x86 platform because
they bought a ton of DOS software that they want to continue using. Most
people, nowadays, are open to the idea of switching platforms,
especially if they _subscribed_ to the software they use (like Office
365 and Photoshop) and these programs are available on the new platform
as well. A person who has Office 365 on the PC will also have Office 365
on the Mac AND access to whatever documents he created with the suite
since they're all saved to OneDrive by default.

Besides, a lot of people are fed up of the idea that in addition to
buying a computer, they have to buy an anti-virus because as good as the
bundled Windows one is, it continues to be less effective than
third-party solutions. They're also fed up - like the users of this
particular machine - with hardware which suddenly decides that it will
stop functioning properly and they're not interested in learning about
drivers and the many possible workarounds to restore functionality for
things which never should have stopped working in the first place.
People who grew up with problematic hardware might have the knowledge
and patience to fix it, but most people will simply go nuts and switch
whatever they purchased for an Apple which won't give them as many issues.

Essentially, as much as I hate Apple, I have no choice but to admit that
when it delivers features to its users, those features actually work and
aren't just _theoretically_ there. Windows 10's Miracast is a joke
compared to Apple's proprietary solution, to give you an idea. An Apple
TV's wireless speed is twice as fast as that of similar PC hardware even
when they're both sitting side-by-side (I tested this with an Apple TV
and Xbox Series S I have sitting side-by-side). Similarly, movies and TV
shows purchased on iTunes immediately come with all languages bundled
into the package whereas the same content bought in the Microsoft Store
only provides you with _one_ language for no explicable reason.

Anyways, I'm ranting.
Branimir Maksimovic
2021-07-19 13:17:03 UTC
Post by Rabid Roach
[...]
Well, I have 800mbit/s with this macbook wifi :P

Similarly, movies and TV
Post by Rabid Roach
shows purchased on iTunes immediately come with all languages bundled
into the package whereas the same content bought in the Microsoft Store
only provides you with _one_ language for no explicable reason.
Anyways, I'm ranting.
I haven't regret at all buying macbook. Hated laptops altogather, but I
am now sitting with my macbook non stop :P
bmaxa now listens Ready Men by Big Black from The Rich Man's Eight Track Tape
Rabid Roach
2021-07-19 14:51:05 UTC
Post by Rabid Roach
[...]
Which is quite possible. My Internet speed at home is maxed out at
500Mbit and the AppleTV, connecting to a range extender one floor below
the device, will get a good 380Mbit of it. The Xbox Series S which is
about one foot and a half from it, gets about 150Mbit.
Post by Rabid Roach
shows purchased on iTunes immediately come with all languages bundled
into the package whereas the same content bought in the Microsoft Store
only provides you with _one_ language for no explicable reason.
Anyways, I'm ranting.
I haven't regret at all buying macbook. Hated laptops altogather, but I
am now sitting with my macbook non stop :P
Great, you'll be screencasting and ranting about "improved productivity
and error-reduction" in no time.
Branimir Maksimovic
2021-07-19 15:19:21 UTC
Post by Rabid Roach
shows purchased on iTunes immediately come with all languages bundled
into the package whereas the same content bought in the Microsoft Store
only provides you with _one_ language for no explicable reason.
Anyways, I'm ranting.
I haven't regret at all buying macbook. Hated laptops altogather, but I
am now sitting with my macbook non stop :P
Great, you'll be screencasting and ranting about "improved productivity
and error-reduction" in no time.
Heh, I have to screencast for coworkers :P
My testing of programs I do, because I am working from home :P
bmaxa now listens Yammat FM
RonB
2021-07-19 13:27:59 UTC
Post by Rabid Roach
[...]
You can avoid Windows AND Mac OS crap simply by using Linux.
--
Saudis bomb & starve Yemeni civilians: (crickets)
Yemenis attack Saudi oil facilities: TERRORISM!
Branimir Maksimovic
2021-07-19 13:42:35 UTC
Post by Rabid Roach
[...]
Linux on laptop is crap... for laptops Windows or macOS anytime over Linux...
bmaxa now listens Yammat FM
Rabid Roach
2021-07-19 15:01:07 UTC
Post by Rabid Roach
[...]
Well, according to Linux, my Logitech MX Ergo was basically dead.
Whether I used Bluetooth or the USB button they provide, it was dead. It
would detect the device through the dongle if I used the Solaar
software, but either worked for a short period of time or not at all
even after I did a firmware update through fwupdmgr. So yeah, every
operating system has issues and Mac OS seems to have the least... at
least to an outside observer.

Still, I have no interest in their walled garden no matter how safe it
is inside.
гПсть
2021-07-20 04:11:29 UTC
Post by RonB
Post by Rabid Roach
[...]
Yeah if you don’t mind never having a smartphone, a tablet, or anything
else that’s cutting-edge. How’s that Amazon Echo killer coming along? Any
decade now, right?
Я гость отеля
гПсть
2021-07-20 04:09:05 UTC
Post by Rabid Roach
[...]
Microsoft is great at selling broken software, then never actually fixing it.
They are always behind the ball, never in front of it. If you want a quality
operating system on well made hardware, it’s Apple.
Я гость отеля
гПсть
2021-07-20 04:06:18 UTC
Post by Rabid Roach
[...]
You don’t think that they are worried that Microsoft will follow Apple is
switching to ARM based silicon?
Я гость отеля
Branimir Maksimovic
2021-07-20 05:10:58 UTC
Post by Rabid Roach
[...]
Well, MS produces SW.
bmaxa now listens Ghost Riders In The Sky by Johnny Cash
гПсть
2021-07-23 15:05:24 UTC
Post by Rabid Roach
You don’t think that they are worried that Microsoft will follow Apple is
switching to ARM based silicon?
Well, MS produces SW.
They are still stuck in the glory days of Office, Windows, etc. Azure is
doing great but where are they on cutting edge new computers? My phone is
faster than the current best Surface Pro 7. Have you used their Surface phone
which is now discounted to $649? Essentially, a buggy nightmare flop. The
word is out and they can’t sell them. How much was it when it released?
More than double what it is now. It is essentially a fire sale because
Microsoft’s ability in mobile can’t even match that of OnePlusOne.
Я гость отеля
chrisv
2021-07-23 15:41:04 UTC
Post by гПсть
They are still stuck in the glory days of Office, Windows, etc. Azure is
doing great but where are they on cutting edge new computers? My phone is
faster than the current best Surface Pro 7. Have you used their Surface phone
which is now discounted to $649? Essentially, a buggy nightmare flop. The
word is out and they can’t sell them. How much was it when it released?
More than double what it is now. It is essentially a fire sale because
Microsoft’s ability in mobile can’t even match that of OnePlusOne.
Micro$oft will stop making products that suck, when they start making
vacuum cleaners.
--
"That is, until a good Linux game comes along and suddenly cola is
full of gamers." - DumFSck, lying shamelessly
-hh
2021-07-23 18:01:54 UTC
Post by chrisv
[snipped: MS critique]
Micro$oft will stop making products that suck, when they start making
vacuum cleaners.
MS has been notorious for making derivative works innovated by others,
but one needs to be cautious about criticizing that by reworking an old
Lucas electronics joke.

But since it is Friday, we can adapt some more of them:

From: <http://www.mez.co.uk/lucas.html>
(worth a visit to see the "Lucas Replacement Wiring Harness Smoke" eBay listing pics)

Back in the 70's, Lucas decided to diversify its product line and began manufacturing
vacuum cleaners. It was the only product they offered which did not suck.

Not many people know that Land Rovers attempted to market a computer.
Why did they stop? They could not find a way to get it to leak oil!

A Land Rover doesn´t leak oil, it marks it´s territory. Did you hear about the man
whose Land Rover didn't leak oil? The factory took it back and worked on it until it did.

Did you hear the one about the guy that peeked into a Land Rover and asked
the owner "How can you tell one switch from another at night? They all look the
same. " - "He replied, "It does not matter which one you use, nothing happens !"

The Lucas motto: "Get home before dark."

Lucas is the patent holder for the short circuit.
Lucas - Inventor of the first intermittent wiper.
Lucas - Inventor of the self-dimming headlamp.

Alexander Graham Bell invented the Telephone. Thomas Edison invented
the Light Bulb. Joseph Lucas invented the Short Circuit.

The three position Lucas switch - Dim, Flicker and Off.
(the other three switch settings are "SMOKE, SMOLDER and IGNITE")

The Original Anti-Theft Device - Lucas Electrics.

Lucas is an acronym for Loose Unsoldered Connections and Splices

Lucas systems actually uses AC current; it just has a random frequency.

"I have had a Lucas pacemaker for years and have never had any trou..." {thump}

If Lucas made guns, wars would not start.

A friend of mine told everybody he never had any electric problems with
his Lucas equipment. Today he lives in the countryside, in a large manor
with lots of friendly servants around him an an occasional ice cold shower...

Q: Why do the British drink warm beer?
A: Because Lucas also made their refrigerators

Q: Why did the British never become a big factor in computer development?
A: Because they couldn't figure out a way to make a computer leak oil.

-hh
chrisv
2021-07-23 18:56:44 UTC
From: <http://www.mez.co.uk/lucas.html>
(worth a visit to see the "Lucas Replacement Wiring Harness Smoke" eBay listing pics)
Funny. I think my favorite is "Lucas - Inventor of the first
intermittent wiper."
--
"Windows Phone is far more successful in its market than Linux desktop
is in its market." - some dumb fsck
-hh
2021-07-23 19:31:04 UTC
From: <http://www.mez.co.uk/lucas.html>
(worth a visit to see the "Lucas Replacement Wiring Harness Smoke" eBay listing pics)
Funny. I think my favorite is "Lucas - Inventor of the first
intermittent wiper."
I guess that if Lucas had made PCs, we'd adapt that to "first for PC that had a 'sleep' feature."
(too bad it would never wake back up).

FWIW, one odd thing I discovered about UK household wiring were the little switches on each
outlet: when you plugged/unplugged a device, one had to also flip/unflip this switch too: the
apparent reason behind this was that "vintage" UK home wiring was that they were designed
to use "ring" circuits, because this enabled using lighter gage wire (material and cost savings).

In a nutshell, US wiring uses a "spoke" topology, where wire pairs run from the distribution hub
(such as the circuit breaker box box) out to plugs/etc and eventually ends. For a ring circuit,
they don't end, but comes back to the distribution hub, which allows power to flow to devices
from either direction, so (in theory) the gage doesn't need as low for a given power rating.

<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ring_circuit>

-hh
Stefen Carroll - fretwizen
2021-07-24 07:21:37 UTC
Post by -hh
[snipped: MS critique]
From: <http://www.mez.co.uk/lucas.html>
[...]
A: Because Lucas also made their refrigerators
Q: Why did the British never become a big factor in computer development?
A: Because they couldn't figure out a way to make a computer leak oil.
-hh
Facts about Steve "Steven Petruzzellis" Carroll

Steve "Steven Petruzzellis" Carroll turned 60 years old back on August
29, 2018 and yet is still single, broke and yet with his skills he has nothing
to show for it but flooding Usenet. He blames The Holy Ghost for his loss
of his wife and girlfriend and his begging of older women to sleep with
him <http://web.archive.org/web/20140820220648/http://www.seniorpeoplemeet.com/v3/externalsearch/singles?Profile=1AE1BDAAFC6D6F08ACA0C235BB8ED21D&Username=STEVECARROL>.
Steven is jealous of what The Holy Ghost has and in a narcissistic rage
repeatedly works to take it away from him. For over 20 years he has failed
at even this. Steve "Steven Petruzzellis" Carroll is an utter failure in
life.

Of his online life Steven says

I've been booted off by past providers before because people
complain about me and all my bullshit. I don't want to lose my ISP
*again* but I still need my army of sock puppets so I continually
search usenet for whatever servers I haven't yet been booted
from.

Some examples where Steven has been booted

X10 Hosting booted Steven for inappropriate activity
http://tinyurl.com/z92qmz4

Comcast booted Steven for inappropriate activity
http://tinyurl.com/h75nh9l

FreeHostingEU booted Steven for copyright infringement http://devsite.eu.pn

AwardSpace (atwebpages.com) booted Steven for breaking terms of service
http://demsites.atwebpages.com/pokeman

Imgur took down an image for breaking terms of service http://imgur.com/yv2XppE

Had a GigaNews account which was removed for harassing The Holy Ghost

Stopped posting from his fretwizzen Google account since shortly after
I complained. Seems he lost that too.

His wife booted Steven to the curb for cheating on her

Only site Steven Petruzzellis has pointed to that has ever been available
http://web.archive.org/web/20161019062351/http://www.oldneighborhoodrestaurant.net/
https://goo.gl/DMno6J

Made by the Go Daddy Website builder and is utter crap. Later he denied
he said he was merely taking credit for someone else's work but Steven is
the contact person http://tinyurl.com/hcw6dul
http://web.archive.org/web/20161202192456/http://www.reservationdiary.eu/eng/reservation/d76d1156-
e9f7-43c1-b77b-b07189857820

He also bragged he was working on an update and showed it here

The business still failed.

He likely went to the Go Daddy Website Builder after he failed to get WordPress
installed.

https://mu.wordpress.org/forums/topic/13879

This is why Steve "Steven Petruzzellis" Carroll attacks The Holy Ghost.

Steven Petruzzellis was divorced on June 22 , 2012 at the Golden Municipal
Court House because his wife caught him screwing another woman.

The Holy Ghost is married and by all appearances happily so.
He never complains about his wife in COLA.

Steven Petruzzellis is living on charity of a friend in a single room.

The Holy Ghost does not live in a mansion or even a high end home but has
a house and a yard.

Steven Petruzzellis has two kids but no respect. He repeatedly called Ryan
his "little screwup" and refers to his son Steve as a "dick" and worse.
He says at least one of them likely hacked his computer and is a "mentally
deficient child." He mocks his possible future daughter-in-law as someone
who takes too many selfies and is focused only on herself

The Holy Ghost has two kids (or more) and never speaks poorly of them in
public.
No reason to think they are not a happy family.

Steven Petruzzellis claims to be a stay at home dad who pays thousands
of dollars for day care. Steven has no job and no purpose in life. Steven
has given up and now seeks a mother-figure to date.

The Holy Ghost has his own business doing technical work and also teaches.

The Holy Ghost offers a true contribution to society.
Teachers are truly under appreciated.

--
This broke the Internet!!
https://www.bing.com/search?q=Dustin%20Cook%20functional%20illiterate%20fraud

Rabid Roach
2021-07-23 19:37:07 UTC
Post by Rabid Roach
You don’t think that they are worried that Microsoft will follow Apple is
switching to ARM based silicon?
Well, MS produces SW.
They are still stuck in the glory days of Office, Windows, etc. Azure is
doing great but where are they on cutting edge new computers? My phone is
faster than the current best Surface Pro 7.
Seriously? Damn.
Post by гПсть
Have you used their Surface phone
which is now discounted to $649? Essentially, a buggy nightmare flop. The
word is out and they can’t sell them. How much was it when it released?
More than double what it is now. It is essentially a fire sale because
Microsoft’s ability in mobile can’t even match that of OnePlusOne.
They are remarkably incompetent when it comes to mobile. I still recall
my Lumia 830's in-call mic dying the moment I upgraded to Windows 10 on
it. Their random Windows tablets using a compromised Windows 10 were
also a complete failure that was quickly abandoned. I actually _forgot_
that they released yet another Android phone because it was THAT
underwhelming. Oh well.
--
Rabid Roach
John 15:18
J***@.
1970-01-01 00:00:00 UTC
"Big Iron" (IBM) will dominate the cell phone market before Microsoft.
Rabid Roach
2021-07-23 22:58:59 UTC
Post by J***@.
"Big Iron" (IBM) will dominate the cell phone market before Microsoft.
ROFL, yes. Great post.
--
Rabid Roach
John 15:18
-hh Huntzinger
2021-07-19 11:31:41 UTC
Post by Rabid Roach
Post by Branimir Maksimovic
Upgrade went smooth. I will report findings. So far it seems they improved
recovery on OOM condition and memory managament generally.
Exciting stuff. My cumulative update to Windows 10 21H1 also went smooth...
Well, can you play 12GB game in 8GB ram with 60FPS without swap?
:P
Why would I feel that I need to?
Because the current "M" CPUs have their RAM onboard, so its not trivial to go add
another 64GB...
Post by Rabid Roach
I noticed that many of the benefits of your Mac are similar to those
offered by modern cars. They're nice, but entirely useless to the
regular driver. To give you an idea, what you just described is like
telling me that you have access to Sirius XM and I don't, as if that was
somehow a feature for a person who likes to listen to his own music
collection at all times.
Poor analogy, since adding RAM is commonly a COLA DIY task, so its more
akin to swapping out the OEM radio/entertainment hardware for one's own
choice ...and on more modern cars, they're no longer a "DIN chassis" module
anymore that is DIY friendly.

FWIW, there was a report of some engineers who were able to go in with a
soldering iron and upgrade an M1 CPU to increase the RAM; here's one summary:

<https://petapixel.com/2021/04/06/it-is-technically-possible-to-upgrade-an-m1-macs-memory-and-storage/>

The automotive analogy to what they did would be to pull the engine, disassemble
and bore it out, install new larger pistons & cams, blueprint, reassemble & drop it back in.
Not exactly a weekend project that can be handled by the average shade tree mechanic.

-hh