Samsung Galaxy S8 vs iPhone 7 Plus
Sandman
2017-05-09 18:31:59 UTC

The iPhone 7 eats every other phone for breakfast in every test but one. It's
actually pretty awesome to see, even if you don't like iPhone. It's what you
get when you design both the OS and the CPU. You can optimise it a *lot*
Sandman
Charlie
2017-05-09 18:48:39 UTC
Post by Sandman
http://youtu.be/OX4JucpvbJM
The iPhone 7 eats every other phone for breakfast in every test but one. It's
actually pretty awesome to see, even if you don't like iPhone. It's what you
get when you design both the OS and the CPU. You can optimise it a *lot*
Android phones are mostly crap. Comes down to Apple's extensive
development and testing.
Snit
2017-05-09 18:52:04 UTC
Post by Charlie
Post by Sandman
http://youtu.be/OX4JucpvbJM
The iPhone 7 eats every other phone for breakfast in every test but one. It's
actually pretty awesome to see, even if you don't like iPhone. It's what you
get when you design both the OS and the CPU. You can optimise it a *lot*
Android phones are mostly crap. Comes down to Apple's extensive
development and testing.
There is a reason Google is looking into moving away from Linux and to a
microkernel... which iOS already has.
--
Personal attacks from those who troll show their own insecurity. They cannot
use reason to show the message to be wrong so they try to feel somehow

http://youtu.be/H4NW-Cqh308
Incubus
2017-05-10 10:17:44 UTC
Post by Snit
Post by Charlie
http://youtu.be/OX4JucpvbJM
What advantages do you think a microkernal offers where smartphones are concerned?
Peter Köhlmann
2017-05-10 10:56:42 UTC
Post by Incubus
Post by Snit
Post by Charlie
Post by Sandman
http://youtu.be/OX4JucpvbJM
The iPhone 7 eats every other phone for breakfast in every test but
one. It's actually pretty awesome to see, even if you don't like
iPhone. It's what you get when you design both the OS and the CPU. You
can optimise it a *lot*
Android phones are mostly crap. Comes down to Apple's extensive
development and testing.
There is a reason Google is looking into moving away from Linux and to a
microkernel... which iOS already has.
What advantages do you think a microkernal offers where smartphones are concerned?
It is slow. And slow. And slow. And uses more processing power

If you consider that an "advantage". It can easily be seen in OSX, which is
*much* slower than linux on the same hardware (install Linux on a Mac and
see yourself. It is not even a contest, OSX runs like crap compared to
linux)

A Microkernel has in theory advantages in data-safety, as a fault in a
subsystem would (theoretically) not bring down the whole system. I see that
as a giant disadvantage, as a crashing kernel brings problems to the
attention of users at once. Which, btw, has not happened for me the last 15
years. The last time it happened was due to faulty hardware

I am not at all happy about µ-kernels. The theoretical advantages are more
than set off by the many disadvantages
Incubus
2017-05-10 14:57:22 UTC
Post by Peter Köhlmann
Post by Incubus
Post by Snit
Post by Charlie
Post by Sandman
http://youtu.be/OX4JucpvbJM
[...]
Where the iPhone is concerned, people seem to think the main advantage is Apple marrying their OS to the hardware. However, Apple hardware is utterly conventional but the OS can be more efficient by being build only for the hardware it needs to support. However, this can also be true for Android as vendors like Samsung will release specific versions for each handset.

I think the main advantage is that Apple are not using Java. Native applications will have a huge advantage over ones relying upon a VM.

Where a microkernel is concerned, I see no advantage for iOS but I'd be interested to know Snit's reasoning for his statement.
Snit
2017-05-10 15:15:52 UTC
On 5/10/17, 7:57 AM, in article
Post by Incubus
Post by Peter Köhlmann
Post by Incubus
Post by Snit
[...]
Apple designs many of their own chips, but even if not they would know what
chips it would be running on. Google does not have that advantage with
Android.
Post by Incubus
However, this can also be true for Android as
vendors like Samsung will release specific versions for each handset.
I think the main advantage is that Apple are not using Java. Native
applications will have a huge advantage over ones relying upon a VM.
True enough.
Post by Incubus
Where a microkernel is concerned, I see no advantage for iOS but I'd be
interested to know Snit's reasoning for his statement.
Could just be coincidence as they move away from Linux.

http://youtu.be/H4NW-Cqh308
Snit
2017-05-10 14:50:54 UTC
On 5/10/17, 3:17 AM, in article
Post by Incubus
Post by Snit
Post by Charlie
Post by Sandman
http://youtu.be/OX4JucpvbJM
The iPhone 7 eats every other phone for breakfast in every test but one. It's
actually pretty awesome to see, even if you don't like iPhone. It's what you
get when you design both the OS and the CPU. You can optimise it a *lot*
Android phones are mostly crap. Comes down to Apple's extensive
development and testing.
There is a reason Google is looking into moving away from Linux and to a
microkernel... which iOS already has.
What advantages do you think a microkernal offers where smartphones are concerned?
So I admit I am out of my league here, but we know the iPhone is faster than
Android phones... and Google is working on a new OS which has a microkernel,
as iOS does.

Of course there could be other factors... many other. Heck, could just be so
they have more control or the other OS they are basing their new one on has
some other feature or design choice Linux does not.

http://youtu.be/H4NW-Cqh308
Incubus
2017-05-10 14:59:30 UTC
Post by Snit
On 5/10/17, 3:17 AM, in article
Post by Incubus
Post by Snit
Post by Charlie
http://youtu.be/OX4JucpvbJM
I imagine security and ABI stability will be the main reasons.
Snit
2017-05-10 15:14:02 UTC
On 5/10/17, 7:59 AM, in article
Post by Incubus
Post by Snit
On 5/10/17, 3:17 AM, in article
Post by Incubus
Post by Snit
Post by Charlie
Post by Sandman
http://youtu.be/OX4JucpvbJM
The iPhone 7 eats every other phone for breakfast in every test but one. It's
actually pretty awesome to see, even if you don't like iPhone. It's what you
get when you design both the OS and the CPU. You can optimise it a *lot*
Android phones are mostly crap. Comes down to Apple's extensive
development and testing.
There is a reason Google is looking into moving away from Linux and to a
microkernel... which iOS already has.
What advantages do you think a microkernal offers where smartphones are concerned?
So I admit I am out of my league here, but we know the iPhone is faster than
Android phones... and Google is working on a new OS which has a microkernel,
as iOS does.
I imagine security and ABI stability will be the main reasons.
Openly admit I could be wrong...

http://youtu.be/H4NW-Cqh308
Snit
2017-05-09 18:50:58 UTC
On 5/9/17, 11:31 AM, in article
Post by Sandman
http://youtu.be/OX4JucpvbJM
The iPhone 7 eats every other phone for breakfast in every test but one. It's
actually pretty awesome to see, even if you don't like iPhone. It's what you
get when you design both the OS and the CPU. You can optimise it a *lot*
Pretty cool... thanks. And give how far behind I am on Android even good to
see the UI. :)

Marek Novotny
2017-05-09 19:14:54 UTC
Post by Sandman
http://youtu.be/OX4JucpvbJM
The iPhone 7 eats every other phone for breakfast in every test
but one. It's actually pretty awesome to see, even if you don't
like iPhone. It's what you get when you design both the OS and the
CPU. You can optimise it a *lot*
I like the phone for the speed and security. But the AndroidOS itself
has a better feature-set. I have the iPhone 7+. Considering getting the
Galaxy S8 though.
--
Marek Novotny
https://github.com/marek-novotny
Snit
2017-05-09 19:34:50 UTC
On 5/9/17, 12:14 PM, in article
Post by Marek Novotny
Post by Sandman
http://youtu.be/OX4JucpvbJM
The iPhone 7 eats every other phone for breakfast in every test
but one. It's actually pretty awesome to see, even if you don't
like iPhone. It's what you get when you design both the OS and the
CPU. You can optimise it a *lot*
I like the phone for the speed and security. But the AndroidOS itself
has a better feature-set. I have the iPhone 7+. Considering getting the
Galaxy S8 though.
What features do you mean? Easier use as a USB drive?

http://youtu.be/H4NW-Cqh308
Sandman
2017-05-09 19:57:46 UTC
Sandman
Marek Novotny
2017-05-09 20:13:29 UTC
Post by Sandman
Post by Marek Novotny
Post by Sandman
http://youtu.be/OX4JucpvbJM
The iPhone 7 eats every other phone for breakfast in every test
but one. It's actually pretty awesome to see, even if you don't
like iPhone. It's what you get when you design both the OS and the
CPU. You can optimise it a *lot*
I like the phone for the speed and security. But the AndroidOS
itself has a better feature-set. I have the iPhone 7+. Considering
getting the Galaxy S8 though.
Yeah, this was a pure speed/usage test, not what OS is subjectively or
objectively "better". To each his own :)
I hear you. I like the iPhone. Just wish I could save a file to a file
system the same way I would on a computer and then ask any app I have to
open that file from where I saved it. I can do that on Android. I can't
on iPhone. That is pretty much most of my beef with the iPhone.

There was some security talk about the iPhone 7 and I can't seem to find
it anywhere. But they had added a whole secure hardware process and it
was impressive. You get updates in a timely manner and Apple seems to
have the clout that keeps carrier bloat off the phone. They have a lot
of the check boxes checked for things done right. That being said, I'd
like to be able to choose my own default browser. But it's not a big
deal. It's a phone so I don't really care that much about it. I have my
laptop for the real computing anyway.

I don't think Android will ever win a speed war. Apple is native to teh
hardware and Android is JAVA. I can only assume there is always going to
be a price to pay for that JAVA layer. At some point I suppose it won't
matter. Maybe we're there now, who knows. Android doesn't feel slow to
me as long as you buy one of the good phones. I had an HTC M8 and it was
smooth as silk. I have a Nexus 5 and it leaves much to be desired. I
had the original Note and it was a thing of beauty at the time. I was so
sick of that tiny iPhone screen and Samsung decided to give a big phone
a shot. My best friend took one look at it and bought one too. That's
why I want competition. I don't like Apple, as you already know. I don't
like a company that thinks they know better than I do what I want.

I think they make a good phone. But to be perfectly honest, I feel like
we had to beat them up to do it. Without Samsung building a market for
small tablets and large phones I just don't think Apple would have done
it. And small tablets and large phones turned out to be what consumers
actually wanted.

I could go on and on but I know you like Apple and I don't mean to bash
them all the time. I try to be respectful. I'm just glad they don't own
the market. As long as they are only part of the market I don't really
care what they do. Having one company that thinks they know better then
their customers themselves is okay for a niche segment. I'd really hate
it if it were the norm.
Snit
2017-05-09 20:23:31 UTC
On 5/9/17, 1:13 PM, in article
Post by Marek Novotny
Post by Sandman
Post by Marek Novotny
Post by Sandman
http://youtu.be/OX4JucpvbJM
The iPhone 7 eats every other phone for breakfast in every test
but one. It's actually pretty awesome to see, even if you don't
like iPhone. It's what you get when you design both the OS and the
CPU. You can optimise it a *lot*
I like the phone for the speed and security. But the AndroidOS
itself has a better feature-set. I have the iPhone 7+. Considering
getting the Galaxy S8 though.
Yeah, this was a pure speed/usage test, not what OS is subjectively or
objectively "better". To each his own :)
I hear you. I like the iPhone. Just wish I could save a file to a file
system the same way I would on a computer and then ask any app I have to
open that file from where I saved it. I can do that on Android. I can't
on iPhone. That is pretty much most of my beef with the iPhone.
This is, largely, what I meant when I said use it as a USB drive though I
can see where you extend that some.

And if that feature, one that is not important to most, is important to you
then the iPhone may not be a good fit. Fair enough.
Post by Marek Novotny
There was some security talk about the iPhone 7 and I can't seem to find
it anywhere. But they had added a whole secure hardware process and it
was impressive. You get updates in a timely manner and Apple seems to
have the clout that keeps carrier bloat off the phone. They have a lot
of the check boxes checked for things done right. That being said, I'd
like to be able to choose my own default browser. But it's not a big
deal. It's a phone so I don't really care that much about it. I have my
laptop for the real computing anyway.
I agree on being frustrated with not being able to pick default apps. Fair
enough.
Post by Marek Novotny
I don't think Android will ever win a speed war. Apple is native to teh
hardware and Android is JAVA. I can only assume there is always going to
be a price to pay for that JAVA layer. At some point I suppose it won't
matter. Maybe we're there now, who knows. Android doesn't feel slow to
me as long as you buy one of the good phones. I had an HTC M8 and it was
smooth as silk. I have a Nexus 5 and it leaves much to be desired. I
had the original Note and it was a thing of beauty at the time. I was so
sick of that tiny iPhone screen and Samsung decided to give a big phone
a shot. My best friend took one look at it and bought one too. That's
why I want competition. I don't like Apple, as you already know. I don't
like a company that thinks they know better than I do what I want.
They focus a lot on being experts in usability... and while they largely get
it right they sometimes do not, and even when they do they focus on the
masses and not on uncommon needs. Sure.
Post by Marek Novotny
I think they make a good phone. But to be perfectly honest, I feel like
we had to beat them up to do it. Without Samsung building a market for
small tablets and large phones I just don't think Apple would have done
it. And small tablets and large phones turned out to be what consumers
actually wanted.
Of course they are impacted by the competition. That is a good thing.
Post by Marek Novotny
I could go on and on but I know you like Apple and I don't mean to bash
them all the time. I try to be respectful. I'm just glad they don't own
the market. As long as they are only part of the market I don't really
care what they do. Having one company that thinks they know better then
their customers themselves is okay for a niche segment. I'd really hate
it if it were the norm.
Knows better than the customers? No more than any other company.

http://youtu.be/H4NW-Cqh308
Sandman
2017-05-10 05:59:21 UTC
Post by Marek Novotny
Post by Sandman
Post by Marek Novotny
I like the phone for the speed and security. But the AndroidOS
itself has a better feature-set. I have the iPhone 7+.
Considering getting the Galaxy S8 though.
Yeah, this was a pure speed/usage test, not what OS is
subjectively or objectively "better". To each his own :)
I hear you. I like the iPhone. Just wish I could save a file to a
file system the same way I would on a computer and then ask any app
I have to open that file from where I saved it. I can do that on
Android. I can't on iPhone. That is pretty much most of my beef with
the iPhone.
Sure, I hear you. I don't find the need myself that often to open and access
files that way, and when I do, I have a system-wide dropbox access, so it
usually works out.

As a side note, my wife is studying in her free time, and writing an
document with a friend of hers, using Microsoft Word. And she asked me how
she can view their document on her iPad, and I said all she had to do is
save it to OneDrive and the Word on the iPad will see it, which she did.

Then when on the iPad, she found the document just like I said, but she said
that she wanted to access all other documents they've been working on. Well,
where are they, I asked? On her Mac desktop right now. So I just went in the
Word app on her iPad and open file, other places which showed me her iCloud
drive which is built in, and there her desktop files on her Mac was just
synced and ready.

Just so smooth and easy, just "there" and no syncing, no setup, no nothing.
Post by Marek Novotny
There was some security talk about the iPhone 7 and I can't seem to
find it anywhere. But they had added a whole secure hardware process
and it was impressive. You get updates in a timely manner and Apple
seems to have the clout that keeps carrier bloat off the phone.
Yeah, for all the talk about Apples "lock-in" to the App Store, my
experience is that the Android lock-in effect is far more severe and
troubles more people. I.e. the vast majority of customers doesn't care one
bit if the App Store is the only place you can get your apps. But the
Android lock-in, where your vendor of choice locks your Android version is
far worse in many ways.

I.e. if you bought a Samsung Galaxy S6 and then Android Marshmallow is
released, neat you're thinking! Only, whether or not you can actually
upgrade to it is in the hands of the vendor, that needs to release a
specific version of Marshmallow for the S6, and they have no incentive to
spend time and money to keep old phones up to date, they want you to buy a
new phone of course, to get M.

Apple, owning both the hardware and the software, and the entire brand, have
more incentive to make as many of their customers as possible running the
latest version of their operating system, so their day-one backwards
compatibility is second to none in the industry.
Fair enough, as I said - to each his own :)
Post by Marek Novotny
I think they make a good phone. But to be perfectly honest, I feel
like we had to beat them up to do it. Without Samsung building a
market for small tablets and large phones I just don't think Apple
would have done it. And small tablets and large phones turned out to
be what consumers actually wanted.
I agree, it is obviously a market segment where Apple followed. I have a 7+
myself and holding a iPhone 5 or SE feels tiny to me now, but that doesn't
mean I still think the plus is a bit too big at times. I bought it due to
the dual cameras. :)
Post by Marek Novotny
I could go on and on but I know you like Apple and I don't mean to
bash them all the time. I try to be respectful.
Never seen you anything but, not "bashing" as far as I'm aware.
Post by Marek Novotny
I'm just glad they don't own the market.
As am I! As an Apple customer I am concerned only with two things - them
releasing good and competitive products, and not going out of business. The
latter doesn't seem to be a problem for the foreseeable future :)
Post by Marek Novotny
As long as they are only part of the market I don't really care what
they do. Having one company that thinks they know better then their
customers themselves is okay for a niche segment. I'd really hate it
if it were the norm.
:)

Sandman
chrisv
2017-05-10 12:49:29 UTC
Post by Sandman
Post by Marek Novotny
I'm just glad they don't own the market.
As am I! As an Apple customer I am concerned only with two things - them
releasing good and competitive products, and not going out of business. The
latter doesn't seem to be a problem for the foreseeable future :)
Not only staying in business, but retaining a large-enough share of
the market so that they get the same level of industry support as
Android does. We don't want another situation like Windows vs Mac,
where the market is so lopsided that one is really "the standard" and
the other only a niche-market product.
--
'The only thing to say is that clueless "advocates" think that this
flood of shit copies somehow challenges apple. It doesn't.' -
"Hadron", regarding Android-based phones
Snit
2017-05-10 15:19:36 UTC
Post by chrisv
Post by Sandman
Post by Marek Novotny
I'm just glad they don't own the market.
As am I! As an Apple customer I am concerned only with two things - them
releasing good and competitive products, and not going out of business. The
latter doesn't seem to be a problem for the foreseeable future :)
Not only staying in business, but retaining a large-enough share of
the market so that they get the same level of industry support as
Android does. We don't want another situation like Windows vs Mac,
where the market is so lopsided that one is really "the standard" and
the other only a niche-market product.
The Mac gets plenty of support... though, sure, Windows tends to get more.

http://youtu.be/H4NW-Cqh308
Sandman
2017-05-10 21:22:48 UTC
Sandman
Snit
2017-05-10 21:42:47 UTC
On 5/10/17, 2:22 PM, in article
Post by Sandman
Post by chrisv
Post by Sandman
Post by Marek Novotny
I'm just glad they don't own the market.
As am I! As an Apple customer I am concerned only with two things
- them releasing good and competitive products, and not going out
of business. The latter doesn't seem to be a problem for the
foreseeable future :)
Not only staying in business, but retaining a large-enough share of
the market so that they get the same level of industry support as
Android does. We don't want another situation like Windows vs Mac,
where the market is so lopsided that one is really "the standard"
and the other only a niche-market product.
I agree, even though back in the Mac cs. Win days, I was still a Mac user who
enjoyed top of the line software for what I used my Mac for (mostly art
design and desktop publishing at the time). But for a lot of people, Macs
were the "slimmer" platform as far as software choices went for a long time.
While they have gained support and often have the top-of-the-line software
there are also places where Windows "win" with that. Heck, even with MS
Office running on both, it runs better on Windows.

http://youtu.be/H4NW-Cqh308
Marek Novotny
2017-05-10 16:00:59 UTC
Post by Sandman
Post by Marek Novotny
Post by Sandman
Post by Marek Novotny
I like the phone for the speed and security. But the AndroidOS
itself has a better feature-set. I have the iPhone 7+.
Considering getting the Galaxy S8 though.
Yeah, this was a pure speed/usage test, not what OS is
subjectively or objectively "better". To each his own :)
I hear you. I like the iPhone. Just wish I could save a file to a
file system the same way I would on a computer and then ask any app
I have to open that file from where I saved it. I can do that on
Android. I can't on iPhone. That is pretty much most of my beef with
the iPhone.
Sure, I hear you. I don't find the need myself that often to open and access
files that way, and when I do, I have a system-wide dropbox access, so it
usually works out.
Then my FTP app has to have a built in something to access my dropbox
account so it to can partake in using dropbox as the middlemam from
that ftp application.
Post by Sandman
As a side note, my wife is studying in her free time, and writing an
document with a friend of hers, using Microsoft Word. And she asked me how
she can view their document on her iPad, and I said all she had to do is
save it to OneDrive and the Word on the iPad will see it, which she did.
This is exactly the problem. I want the file to go to the local file
system. If I want to save it to a networked volume, that should be my
choice. The app itself shouldn't need that feature built into the app.
That's the job of the OS, not the app. If I want to add that function
to the OS, I will. I should be able to mount any volume on my network
and then save and open from that volume. But the app should only open a
file browser. And the file browser should retrieve the file from any
file system I have access to, locally or mounted from a service or a
server.
Post by Sandman
Then when on the iPad, she found the document just like I said, but she said
that she wanted to access all other documents they've been working on. Well,
where are they, I asked? On her Mac desktop right now. So I just went in the
Word app on her iPad and open file, other places which showed me her iCloud
drive which is built in, and there her desktop files on her Mac was just
synced and ready.
I hate that. I'm the opposite of that. That feature literally boils my
blood and pissing me off.
Post by Sandman
Just so smooth and easy, just "there" and no syncing, no setup, no nothing.
What if your desktop is Linux or Windows? What then? See I don't want
them auto-syncing what I do. I just want local access to a local file
system. I'll choose my own method of networking to share or syncing.
Post by Sandman
Post by Marek Novotny
There was some security talk about the iPhone 7 and I can't seem to
find it anywhere. But they had added a whole secure hardware process
and it was impressive. You get updates in a timely manner and Apple
seems to have the clout that keeps carrier bloat off the phone.
Yeah, for all the talk about Apples "lock-in" to the App Store, my
experience is that the Android lock-in effect is far more severe and
troubles more people. I.e. the vast majority of customers doesn't care one
bit if the App Store is the only place you can get your apps. But the
Android lock-in, where your vendor of choice locks your Android version is
far worse in many ways.
I don't see how, but I'm sure you'll tell me.
Post by Sandman
I.e. if you bought a Samsung Galaxy S6 and then Android Marshmallow is
released, neat you're thinking! Only, whether or not you can actually
upgrade to it is in the hands of the vendor, that needs to release a
specific version of Marshmallow for the S6, and they have no incentive to
spend time and money to keep old phones up to date, they want you to buy a
new phone of course, to get M.
YES! I get this. This is the problem. The vendor doesn't give a shit and
the telco sure as hell doesn't give a shit either. But you want Lyft,
Uber, Waze? Well then, get an Android or iOS. Welcome to the duopoly.
Post by Sandman
Apple, owning both the hardware and the software, and the entire brand, have
more incentive to make as many of their customers as possible running the
latest version of their operating system, so their day-one backwards
compatibility is second to none in the industry.
The problem is if you don't ultimately agree with what Apple is doing,
as I don't. I want a file system. I don't want an app that has to have a
developer develop with my DropBox account in mind. I want to save to the
local file system, period. Apple believes what they are doing is best
and nothing I do or say will change that.
Post by Sandman
Post by Marek Novotny
I don't think Android will ever win a speed war. Apple is native to
teh hardware and Android is JAVA. I can only assume there is always
going to be a price to pay for that JAVA layer. At some point I
suppose it won't matter. Maybe we're there now, who knows. Android
doesn't feel slow to me as long as you buy one of the good phones. I
had an HTC M8 and it was smooth as silk. I have a Nexus 5 and it
leaves much to be desired. I had the original Note and it was a
thing of beauty at the time. I was so sick of that tiny iPhone
screen and Samsung decided to give a big phone a shot. My best
friend took one look at it and bought one too. That's why I want
competition. I don't like Apple, as you already know. I don't like a
company that thinks they know better than I do what I want.
Fair enough, as I said - to each his own :)
Would be so cool if I really liked it. That would make this easier.
Post by Sandman
Post by Marek Novotny
I think they make a good phone. But to be perfectly honest, I feel
like we had to beat them up to do it. Without Samsung building a
market for small tablets and large phones I just don't think Apple
would have done it. And small tablets and large phones turned out to
be what consumers actually wanted.
I agree, it is obviously a market segment where Apple followed. I have a 7+
myself and holding a iPhone 5 or SE feels tiny to me now, but that doesn't
mean I still think the plus is a bit too big at times. I bought it due to
the dual cameras. :)
I like the size of the screen. If they could further reduce the size of
the chin and head like Samsung is pioneering perhaps they could make it
physically smaller without giving you a tiny screen.
Post by Marek Novotny
I'm just glad they don't own the market.
As am I! As an Apple customer I am concerned only with two things - them
releasing good and competitive products, and not going out of business. The
latter doesn't seem to be a problem for the foreseeable future :)
Yeah, they got a lot of money. I hope they continue to save it. At some
point the gravy train will stop and they will come to rely on their
cash. So I hope they don't do any more stupid stock buybacks or anything
else stupid. Just bank the cash and save it for a when your product is
no longer industry leading and you need to buy your way into something
else.
Sandman
2017-05-11 06:23:03 UTC
Marek Novotny
2017-05-11 16:38:35 UTC
Post by Marek Novotny
Post by Sandman
Sure, I hear you. I don't find the need myself that often to open
and access files that way, and when I do, I have a system-wide
dropbox access, so it usually works out.
Then my FTP app has to have a built in something to access my
dropbox account so it to can partake in using dropbox as the
middlemam from that ftp application.
Yup, since file access has been available since day one in Android,
all apps support it, but file access plugins have only been available
since iOS 8 (if I recall correctly), then older apps or apps that
aren't maintained will not magically gain support for it.
Well, that's good to know at least. I don't really keep up with Apple.
So I wasn't aware why we suddenly got apps with file access plug-ins.
Before I bought the 7s I had not used iOS since the 6 and then the 4. So
I went 4, 4s, then Android and then late in the game I got a 6 for a
while and then updated to the 7s. I skipped the 5 and the 6s. I go back
and forth between Android and iOS the same way I used to go back and
forth between Windows and OSX because I didn't like either one. And here
I am already look at Android again because iOS bugs me.
Post by Marek Novotny
Post by Sandman
As a side note, my wife is studying in her free time, and writing
an document with a friend of hers, using Microsoft Word. And she
asked me how she can view their document on her iPad, and I said
all she had to do is save it to OneDrive and the Word on the iPad
will see it, which she did.
This is exactly the problem. I want the file to go to the local file
system.
Yeah, but in this instance, her iPad was uncharged and not in the vicinity
of her computer, so this actually made more sense for this particular
scenario. Just put it in the cloud and it will be there when your devices
want to access it.
It's a good feature for anyone who is all in on Apple. I see the appeal
of it. I'm just not a Mac user these days. I still have Macs, but it's
not my daily driver. They exist to do certain functions, like
pre-mastering from a VIDEO_TS to a DDP image and for conversation of
BDMV to BDCMF. These are things I need in my business. That and I have
to deal with art which comes from Macs. Sometimes really old stuff. Like
I just got four titles and the art is from the Quark 4 era. I had to
locate and buy a G4 PowerBook and install Quark 4 on it just to get at
old stuff like this. It comes up often enough and I'm the sucker who
gets to deal with it.
Post by Marek Novotny
If I want to save it to a networked volume, that should be
my choice. The app itself shouldn't need that feature built into the
app.
iOS has supported file syncing since pretty much day one though. Using
<https://support.apple.com/library/content/dam/edam/applecare/images/en_US/m
ac_apps/itunes/macos-itunes12-5-apps-file-sharing-save-to-computer.jpg>
But that copies the file to the iPad/iPhone, and in some cases that's just
fine, but when the document is a work in progress, the more copies, the
messier it becomes.
I really would know a detail like that. My ipad is barely used. Mostly
because I was stupid and bought the 64 GB model which has so little
storage I end up not using it to watch a movie while on a train, which I
take the train twice or day. Most of what I use the iPad for is as a
book reader.

I find it is the world's worst not pad, since auto correct wants to
correct the things I am trying to write, which are typically bash,
command, code, or other Linux documentation things. The keyboard doesn't
have the keys I want without me switching constantly to find the
keystroke I want.

I suppose you'll tell me how to effortlessly fix the auto-correct issue.
It would be helpful to know. The keyboard though is too much of a pain
to use for anything beyond simple email.
Post by Marek Novotny
That's the job of the OS, not the app. If I want to add that
function to the OS, I will. I should be able to mount any volume on
my network and then save and open from that volume.
I agree, but that's also working from a scenario where you're on your
phone/tablet and want to access files on your computer. This scenario was
that she was on her Mac and wanted to send the file to her iPad. And while
she could have synced it over using iTunes (see above), her iPad wasn't
charged, so cloud sync was the obvious and easiest solution.
Post by Marek Novotny
But the app should only open a file browser. And the file browser
should retrieve the file from any file system I have access to,
locally or mounted from a service or a server.
Not having done this on an Android, how do you mount a network volume? Is
mounting it an Android-feature? How is the mount kept alive? So you want a
spreadsheet document on your phone that is on your computer. You open the
spreadsheet application on your phone and select "open" and then what? When
you're done, is it automatically unmounted or is there some background task
that is using network and cpu cycles to keep the network mount alive? For
how long?
I've not see it for Android itself. Just apps, like VLC for example can
access my SMB share to watch a VIDEO over the network. Would be nice if
the OS itself had a function to allow me to attach to NFS and SMB. The
file browser is already there.
Post by Marek Novotny
Post by Sandman
Then when on the iPad, she found the document just like I said,
but she said that she wanted to access all other documents they've
been working on. Well, where are they, I asked? On her Mac desktop
right now. So I just went in the Word app on her iPad and open
file, other places which showed me her iCloud drive which is built
in, and there her desktop files on her Mac was just synced and
ready.
I hate that. I'm the opposite of that. That feature literally boils
my blood and pissing me off.
We're all different. It was incredibly easy and smooth to just access
everything. :)
Yeah, it's a good device. If I were all in on Apple this would be a
delight.
Post by Marek Novotny
Post by Sandman
Just so smooth and easy, just "there" and no syncing, no setup, no nothing.
What if your desktop is Linux or Windows? What then?
Well, obviously the combination OSX + iOS works best, but there is an iCloud
<https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204283>
And Linux, well this scenario was for the people that just want things to
work, and few of those are running Linux, I'd wager. :)
iCloud hasn't been super robust for me. I like DropBox though. And I'm
guessing that's why a few of us Linux users wanted to see Canonical
successful with their ambitious tablet and phone concepts. It just
wasn't going to happen. That effort was going so slow that it was just
obvious we'd never arrive.
Post by Marek Novotny
See I don't want them auto-syncing what I do. I just want local
access to a local file system. I'll choose my own method of
networking to share or syncing.
And that's fine, no one is trying to convince you otherwise. But from a pure
advocacy standpoint, where the "general user" is more likely to be the
target user, it works seamlessly and neatly. And most users don't have
sensitive information either. :)
I agree. It is a consumer device. A consumer will love it. I just can't
fit myself into that method. I want the features I have in Linux.
Luckily laptops are just getting so thin and light and have cellular
built in that maybe it won't matter much longer. I might just try my
hand at installing Linux on my Surface Pro.
Post by Marek Novotny
Post by Sandman
Apple, owning both the hardware and the software, and the entire
brand, have more incentive to make as many of their customers as
possible running the latest version of their operating system, so
their day-one backwards compatibility is second to none in the
industry.
The problem is if you don't ultimately agree with what Apple is
doing, as I don't. I want a file system. I don't want an app that
has to have a developer develop with my DropBox account in mind. I
want to save to the local file system, period. Apple believes what
they are doing is best and nothing I do or say will change that.
Yes, I get that. I only wanted to illustrate the different kind of lock-ins
both platforms have.
I know, I am truly not trying to hassle you at all. They sell tons of
these. They know what they want and they make a shit-ton of money doing
it. No one cares what Marek wants in a tablet. :)
Post by Marek Novotny
Post by Marek Novotny
Post by Sandman
Post by Marek Novotny
I think they make a good phone. But to be perfectly honest, I
feel like we had to beat them up to do it. Without Samsung
building a market for small tablets and large phones I just
don't think Apple would have done it. And small tablets and
large phones turned out to be what consumers actually wanted.
I agree, it is obviously a market segment where Apple followed. I
have a 7+ myself and holding a iPhone 5 or SE feels tiny to me
now, but that doesn't mean I still think the plus is a bit too big
at times. I bought it due to the dual cameras. :)
I like the size of the screen. If they could further reduce the size
of the chin and head like Samsung is pioneering perhaps they could
make it physically smaller without giving you a tiny screen.
Rumors are that this is what iPhone 8 will be. But rumours are rumours... :)
Yeah, I've got used to the fact that each new iPhone looks pretty much
like the previous model and have become tone-deaf to Apple's hype
machine. Samsung is likely my next phone. Then you'll see me rag on all
that is wrong with Android.
Snit
2017-05-11 16:55:32 UTC
On 5/11/17, 9:38 AM, in article
ZoOdnRjPJvAWDonEnZ2dnUU7-***@giganews.com, "Marek Novotny"
<***@marspolar.com> wrote:

Post by Marek Novotny
I find it is the world's worst not pad, since auto correct wants to
correct the things I am trying to write, which are typically bash,
command, code, or other Linux documentation things. The keyboard doesn't
have the keys I want without me switching constantly to find the
keystroke I want.
I suppose you'll tell me how to effortlessly fix the auto-correct issue.
Settings > General > Keyboard
Post by Marek Novotny
It would be helpful to know. The keyboard though is too much of a pain
to use for anything beyond simple email.
Why not install a different keyboard? Programming is not the norm on iPads
and it is not really what the standard keyboard is designed for. This one
might appeal to you, but there are others:

<https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/devkey-developer-keyboard-for-programming/i
d961304986> OR <https://goo.gl/nngTMY>

Post by Marek Novotny
Post by Marek Novotny
I like the size of the screen. If they could further reduce the size
of the chin and head like Samsung is pioneering perhaps they could
make it physically smaller without giving you a tiny screen.
Rumors are that this is what iPhone 8 will be. But rumours are rumours... :)
Yeah, I've got used to the fact that each new iPhone looks pretty much
like the previous model and have become tone-deaf to Apple's hype
machine.
The rumors are not "Apple's hype machine".
Post by Marek Novotny
Samsung is likely my next phone. Then you'll see me rag on all
that is wrong with Android.
I look forward to it. :)

http://youtu.be/H4NW-Cqh308
Snit
2017-05-11 17:15:10 UTC
Post by Snit
On 5/11/17, 9:38 AM, in article
Post by Marek Novotny
I find it is the world's worst not pad, since auto correct wants to
correct the things I am trying to write, which are typically bash,
command, code, or other Linux documentation things. The keyboard doesn't
have the keys I want without me switching constantly to find the
keystroke I want.
I suppose you'll tell me how to effortlessly fix the auto-correct issue.
Settings > General > Keyboard
Was going to make a video to show you... but here is one for iOS 7 and it
works and looks much the same in the current version:

http://youtu.be/H4NW-Cqh308
Sandman
2017-05-11 19:13:35 UTC
Post by Marek Novotny
Yup, since file access has been available since day one in
Android, all apps support it, but file access plugins have only
been available since iOS 8 (if I recall correctly), then older
apps or apps that aren't maintained will not magically gain
support for it.
Well, that's good to know at least. I don't really keep up with
Apple. So I wasn't aware why we suddenly got apps with file access
plug-ins.
Mind you, this is not *filesystem* access. It's the more superficial
filesystem provided by apps:

<https://2672686a4cf38e8c2458-
2712e00ea34e3076747650c92426bbb5.ssl.cf1.rackcdn.com/2016-02-12-161111.jpeg>

So when you want to upload a file to slack (in this screen cap), it asks you
from where you want to fetch the file, which by default is the camera (i.e.
take a photo and upload it) but if you have iCloud Drive turned on, you can
pick that, if you have dropbox installed, you can pick that etc etc. And
it's seamless when it comes to offline/online - i.e. you can upload *any*
file from your dropbox account to the app, regardless of whether that file
is physically on your phone or not.
Post by Marek Novotny
Before I bought the 7s I had not used iOS since the 6 and
then the 4. So I went 4, 4s, then Android and then late in the game
I got a 6 for a while and then updated to the 7s. I skipped the 5
and the 6s. I go back and forth between Android and iOS the same way
I used to go back and forth between Windows and OSX because I didn't
like either one. And here I am already look at Android again because
iOS bugs me.
Sure, as good a reason as any :)
Post by Marek Novotny
Post by Marek Novotny
This is exactly the problem. I want the file to go to the local
file system.
Yeah, but in this instance, her iPad was uncharged and not in the
vicinity of her computer, so this actually made more sense for
this particular scenario. Just put it in the cloud and it will be
there when your devices want to access it.
It's a good feature for anyone who is all in on Apple.
Or dropbox, I suppose. It would have worked the same way. No need to upload
anything to Apple if you have trust issues with only them. If you like any
other cloud storage, chances are there is iOS file support for it. I haven't
tested it that much though :)
Post by Marek Novotny
That and I have to deal with art which comes from Macs.
Sometimes really old stuff. Like I just got four titles and the art
is from the Quark 4 era.
WTF?? Quark? My god!
Post by Marek Novotny
I had to locate and buy a G4 PowerBook and
install Quark 4 on it just to get at old stuff like this. It comes
up often enough and I'm the sucker who gets to deal with it.
My deepest condolences :)
Post by Marek Novotny
ac_apps/itunes/macos-itunes12-5-apps-file-sharing-save-to-computer.jpg>
But that copies the file to the iPad/iPhone, and in some cases
that's just fine, but when the document is a work in progress, the
more copies, the messier it becomes.
I really would know a detail like that. My ipad is barely used.
Mostly because I was stupid and bought the 64 GB model which has so
little storage I end up not using it to watch a movie while on a
train, which I take the train twice or day. Most of what I use the
iPad for is as a book reader.
I have the iPad pro and the Apple Pencil, but I draw a lot. And without
being an Apple fanboy or anything, but the Apple Pencil is freaking awesome.
When they announced it, I was like "yeah right, as if Apple has any chance
to do something better than the Wacom styluses I've used for decades". Blew
my mind.
Post by Marek Novotny
I find it is the world's worst not pad, since auto correct wants to
correct the things I am trying to write, which are typically bash,
command, code, or other Linux documentation things.
So turn it off? :)
Post by Marek Novotny
The keyboard doesn't have the keys I want without me switching
constantly to find the keystroke I want.
That I can get. Or rather, it's something you have to get used to, because
when I'm on Android, the way the keyboard works really frustrates me. But
writing technical documentation can't be easy on an iPad, true.
Post by Marek Novotny
I suppose you'll tell me how to effortlessly fix the auto-correct issue.
Well, if it's a usual handful of words then you can whitelist them, or you
can turn it off altogether like my wife did :)
Post by Marek Novotny
It would be helpful to know. The keyboard though is too much
of a pain to use for anything beyond simple email.
I'll wager that this is true for any touch keyboard on any tablet though.
You can of course install other keyboards if you like.
Post by Marek Novotny
Post by Marek Novotny
But the app should only open a file browser. And the file
browser should retrieve the file from any file system I have
access to, locally or mounted from a service or a server.
Not having done this on an Android, how do you mount a network
volume? Is mounting it an Android-feature? How is the mount kept
alive? So you want a spreadsheet document on your phone that is on
your computer. You open the spreadsheet application on your phone
and select "open" and then what? When you're done, is it
automatically unmounted or is there some background task that is
using network and cpu cycles to keep the network mount alive? For
how long?
I've not see it for Android itself. Just apps, like VLC for example
can access my SMB share to watch a VIDEO over the network.
Right, but I don't think that's the same thing at all. It has nothing to do
with your local filesystem, it's just that VLC has built in network
protocols, which of course VLC has for iOS as well. So there is nothing in
the OS that enables or limits this.
Post by Marek Novotny
Would be nice if the OS itself had a function to allow me to attach
to NFS and SMB. The file browser is already there.
I was under the impression that Android didn't come with a file browser? You
have to download one?

And a mounted volume that you don't unmount when done would eat up precious
CPU and battery (and network data)
Post by Marek Novotny
Well, obviously the combination OSX + iOS works best, but there is
<https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204283>
And Linux, well this scenario was for the people that just want
things to work, and few of those are running Linux, I'd wager. :)
iCloud hasn't been super robust for me.
Oh, bummer.
Post by Marek Novotny
I like DropBox though.
Yeah, iCloud Drive and Dropbox are pretty much identical in implementation
both for the desktop and mobile. So if you like one more than the other, go
for it, you won't miss any functionality from the other, really.

iCloud has other services other than "Drive" though, like full photo,
account, passwords, calendar and contacts syncing. But Dropbox + Google
could potentially achieve the same thing.

Sandman
Marek Novotny
2017-05-11 20:29:46 UTC
Post by Sandman
Post by Marek Novotny
Well, that's good to know at least. I don't really keep up with
Apple. So I wasn't aware why we suddenly got apps with file access
plug-ins.
Mind you, this is not *filesystem* access. It's the more superficial
<https://2672686a4cf38e8c2458-
2712e00ea34e3076747650c92426bbb5.ssl.cf1.rackcdn.com/2016-02-12-161111.jpeg>
So when you want to upload a file to slack (in this screen cap), it asks you
from where you want to fetch the file, which by default is the camera (i.e.
take a photo and upload it) but if you have iCloud Drive turned on, you can
pick that, if you have dropbox installed, you can pick that etc etc. And
it's seamless when it comes to offline/online - i.e. you can upload *any*
file from your dropbox account to the app, regardless of whether that file
is physically on your phone or not.
I've noticed things like this on the phone. It's not horrible. I'm
likely giving the impression that I want to throw it out of the window
or something and it's not that bad really. I'm just listing the bad
parts about it that bug me. But all things considered it is my daily
phone. It gets used a lot. If I am going to exercise, this phone comes
with me. I have the Apple watch too. And believe it or not I use Apple
Maps for walking directions when I wish to walk to places I've never
been. And that works with the watch. The watch gives me arrows and
notifications for when to change course and what signs I should see.

It is an excellent music device. On the train ride I take twice a day I
watch TV shows. I'm on the train for about 20 minutes per ride. Right
now I am just finishing up season one of Fortitude. Typically it takes
slightly more than one day to watch one episode which costs me $2.99
each. So it adds roughly a $1 to my ride cost to watch a TV show if the
TV show it roughly 50 to 60 minutes.
Post by Sandman
Post by Marek Novotny
It's a good feature for anyone who is all in on Apple.
Or dropbox, I suppose. It would have worked the same way. No need
to upload anything to Apple if you have trust issues with only
them. If you like any other cloud storage, chances are there is
iOS file support for it. I haven't tested it that much though :)
Not really a trust issue. It's just that DropBox runs on Windows, OSX
and Linux. So I tend to gravitate to that.
Post by Sandman
Post by Marek Novotny
That and I have to deal with art which comes from Macs.
Sometimes really old stuff. Like I just got four titles and the art
is from the Quark 4 era.
WTF?? Quark? My god!
Yeah, ran Quark for many years. All the way back to Qaurk 3.3 on a G3. I
stopped using Quark on version 8 and started to convert to InDesign back
then. Used PageMaker up until 6.5 as well. Used the very first versions
of InDesign.
Post by Sandman
Post by Marek Novotny
I had to locate and buy a G4 PowerBook and
install Quark 4 on it just to get at old stuff like this. It comes
up often enough and I'm the sucker who gets to deal with it.
My deepest condolences :)
I have a bit of a collection of old Mac laptops just so I can open old
documents. No bull, I have maybe 3 or 4 of these PowerBooks. I thought I
was done with this old crap and threw away all the old powerPC software
I thought I no longer needed. Luckily I kept Quark 4. No real reason why
I just didn't happen to toss it. Lucked out. Now I wish I would have
saved my boxed copies of PowerPC Photoshop and illustrator. Some yaho
even gave me a FreeHand file not too long ago. Crap, I had every version
of Freehand. I didn't know I'd run into such things but I still do from
time to time.
Post by Sandman
Post by Marek Novotny
I really would know a detail like that. My ipad is barely used.
Mostly because I was stupid and bought the 64 GB model which has so
little storage I end up not using it to watch a movie while on a
train, which I take the train twice or day. Most of what I use the
iPad for is as a book reader.
I have the iPad pro and the Apple Pencil, but I draw a lot. And without
being an Apple fanboy or anything, but the Apple Pencil is freaking awesome.
When they announced it, I was like "yeah right, as if Apple has any chance
to do something better than the Wacom styluses I've used for decades". Blew
my mind.
Well, this will be funny for you. I've considered buying the iPad Pro
many times. I just never pull the trigger on it. But the pencil is
interesting. I bought the original surface pro specifically because I
wanted to use it like a little Cintiq, but at the time Illustrator just
didn't support the screen scaling well enough or Microsoft's pen.

I have had my hand on the buy it button for the larger iPad so many
times but it costs almost as much as a laptop, so I just end up talking
myself out of it.

The next iPad I buy will likely be a pro with the pencil because I hate
my current iPad anyway. I will max out the next one. My iPhone 7+ is the
max 256GB model. And honestly, if they make a 512 GB model I'd be
interested in that.
Post by Marek Novotny
It would be helpful to know. The keyboard though is too much
of a pain to use for anything beyond simple email.
I'll wager that this is true for any touch keyboard on any tablet though.
You can of course install other keyboards if you like.
I tried a few keyboards a while back and didn't like any of them. I
think the iPad pro is the way to do it, maybe. I used to use an Android
Transformer from ASUS. I still have it. It's basically a little laptop
running Android and the tablet detaches from the keyboard. That is hands
down the best tablet I have ever owned. The only reason I stopped using
it was because it didn't offer a cellular modem when I bought it. It was
WiFi only. That has a full keyboard and it was awesome.
Post by Sandman
Post by Marek Novotny
I've not see it for Android itself. Just apps, like VLC for example
can access my SMB share to watch a VIDEO over the network.
Right, but I don't think that's the same thing at all. It has nothing to do
with your local filesystem, it's just that VLC has built in network
protocols, which of course VLC has for iOS as well. So there is nothing in
the OS that enables or limits this.
No it's not the same thing. Apple does the same thing. I can run VLC on
my Apple TV or iPad and connect to SMB video as well. I'd like that to
be on the OS. And I'd like the tablet to use a file browser to traverse
the volume tree, mounted or local, to find the video to play. I don't
think Android or iOS are going to give me such things.
Post by Sandman
Post by Marek Novotny
Would be nice if the OS itself had a function to allow me to attach
to NFS and SMB. The file browser is already there.
I was under the impression that Android didn't come with a file browser? You
have to download one?
That's correct. But once you have one you can set it up as a default app
to open in that situation. In fact that's one of the cool things about
Android. I set the default apps for music, browser, files and even the
launcher. Even the SMS can be changed to any app I want. I love that
about Android.
Post by Sandman
And a mounted volume that you don't unmount when done would eat up precious
CPU and battery (and network data)
Well, that's kind of what auto-mount is for. This could be done. But I
have no idea what the cost would be on battery.
Post by Marek Novotny
I like DropBox though.
Yeah, iCloud Drive and Dropbox are pretty much identical in implementation
both for the desktop and mobile. So if you like one more than the other, go
for it, you won't miss any functionality from the other, really.
iCloud has other services other than "Drive" though, like full photo,
account, passwords, calendar and contacts syncing. But Dropbox + Google
could potentially achieve the same thing.
The photos going to the cloud instantly is yet another peeve of mine. I
want them to remain local. I'll upload them if I want to. Otherwise they
should always be local only. That's just me. I guess consumers feel
differently.
Snit
2017-05-11 22:24:29 UTC
On 5/11/17, 1:29 PM, in article
Post by Sandman
Post by Marek Novotny
[...]
Fair enough... so while there are pros and cons of each, overall you tend to
prefer the iPhone with the Apple Watch. I admit I find that a bit
surprising.
Post by Sandman
Post by Marek Novotny
It's a good feature for anyone who is all in on Apple.
Or dropbox, I suppose. It would have worked the same way. No need to upload
anything to Apple if you have trust issues with only them. If you like any
other cloud storage, chances are there is iOS file support for it. I haven't
tested it that much though :)
Not really a trust issue. It's just that DropBox runs on Windows, OSX and
Linux. So I tend to gravitate to that.
Which makes sense.

Post by Sandman
Post by Marek Novotny
[...]
Why an Apple one and not a Linux based tablet?

Post by Sandman
Post by Marek Novotny
Would be nice if the OS itself had a function to allow me to attach
to NFS and SMB. The file browser is already there.
I was under the impression that Android didn't come with a file browser? You
have to download one?
That's correct. But once you have one you can set it up as a default app
to open in that situation. In fact that's one of the cool things about
Android. I set the default apps for music, browser, files and even the
launcher. Even the SMS can be changed to any app I want. I love that
about Android.
It is a pet peeve of mine about iOS... they do not let me set default apps.
I do not like Apple email app, for example, but it is stuck as the default.
I do not do much emailing from it, but maybe I would do more if the app was
better.

Post by Sandman
Yeah, iCloud Drive and Dropbox are pretty much identical in implementation
both for the desktop and mobile. So if you like one more than the other, go
for it, you won't miss any functionality from the other, really.
iCloud has other services other than "Drive" though, like full photo,
account, passwords, calendar and contacts syncing. But Dropbox + Google
could potentially achieve the same thing.
The photos going to the cloud instantly is yet another peeve of mine. I
want them to remain local. I'll upload them if I want to. Otherwise they
should always be local only. That's just me. I guess consumers feel
differently.
I have mine set to NOT auto-upload. I agree... no desire for that.

http://youtu.be/H4NW-Cqh308
Sandman
2017-05-12 06:17:50 UTC
Post by Marek Novotny
Post by Sandman
Post by Marek Novotny
That and I have to deal with art which comes from Macs.
Sometimes really old stuff. Like I just got four titles and the
art is from the Quark 4 era.
WTF?? Quark? My god!
Yeah, ran Quark for many years.
Me too, I was an Art Director at a magazine before the internet boom and the
company I worked at needed people for an internet department, and I was
interested.

Quark was always buggy as hell, and while system 7 wasn't really rock solid
either, when Indesign came around, it was the best thing ever.
Post by Marek Novotny
Post by Sandman
Post by Marek Novotny
I had to locate and buy a G4 PowerBook and install Quark 4 on it
just to get at old stuff like this. It comes up often enough and
I'm the sucker who gets to deal with it.
My deepest condolences :)
I have a bit of a collection of old Mac laptops just so I can open
old documents.
I have a small Apple "museum" at work, with old hardware. None of it
connected, just up for display :)
Post by Marek Novotny
Post by Sandman
I have the iPad pro and the Apple Pencil, but I draw a lot. And
without being an Apple fanboy or anything, but the Apple Pencil is
freaking awesome. When they announced it, I was like "yeah right,
as if Apple has any chance to do something better than the Wacom
styluses I've used for decades". Blew my mind.
Well, this will be funny for you. I've considered buying the iPad
Pro many times. I just never pull the trigger on it. But the pencil
is interesting. I bought the original surface pro specifically
because I wanted to use it like a little Cintiq, but at the time
Illustrator just didn't support the screen scaling well enough or
Microsoft's pen.
Funny, I bought the original Surface Pro for the exact same reason! :-D

I've always had Wacom Cintiq's. Owned the original one up until the 21UX
models. When the Surface Pro was announced I was really interested and
ordered one directly. It was a fine tablet, but the pen was crap and the Cpu
too slow for real work.

When Wacom announced the Wacom Cintiq Companion I jumped on like a hungry
tiger, and I loved it. It was everything I imagined the Surface Pro could
have been. Fast processor, lots of storage and a real professional wacom pen
with full tilt and pressure sensitivity! I still have both, but since I got
the iPad Pro, they don't get much mileage.

Only drawback of the iPad Pro is that it doesn't run the full photoshop
application like Companion/Surface does. For most of my drawings and
sketches that's just fine, but for my more serious things, it falls short,
unfortunately.
Post by Marek Novotny
Post by Sandman
I was under the impression that Android didn't come with a file
browser? You have to download one?
That's correct. But once you have one you can set it up as a default
app to open in that situation. In fact that's one of the cool things
about Android. I set the default apps for music, browser, files and
even the launcher. Even the SMS can be changed to any app I want. I
love that about Android.
Fair enough. :)
Post by Marek Novotny
Post by Sandman
Yeah, iCloud Drive and Dropbox are pretty much identical in
implementation both for the desktop and mobile. So if you like one
more than the other, go for it, you won't miss any functionality
from the other, really.
iCloud has other services other than "Drive" though, like full
photo, account, passwords, calendar and contacts syncing. But
Dropbox + Google could potentially achieve the same thing.
The photos going to the cloud instantly is yet another peeve of
mine. I want them to remain local.
It's a peeve of mine as well, but for different reasons. I *love* the fact
that *all* my photos (some 70k) are always on ALL my devices. No need to
sync anything, no need to think about it. If I want a photo, I know I can
get to it wherever or whenever.

But, the new Photos application for OSX *sucks*. It's atrociously bad. I was
an Aperture user, Apples professional photo management program and I loved
it, but they scrapped it and replaced both iPhoto and Aperture with Photos.
And Photos is worse than both apart from the iCloud sync functionality.

So when they scrapped Aperture I was forced to move to Lightroom, but
Lightroom doesn't have any form of auto-sync to the cloud, which is a bummer

Sandman
Marek Novotny
2017-05-12 15:48:57 UTC
Post by Sandman
Post by Marek Novotny
Post by Marek Novotny
Post by Marek Novotny
Post by Sandman
[...]
And correct me if I am wrong, you can't preview PSDs, AIs and InDD or
IDML with the iPad? Last I looked and tried several solutions and one
worked once and that's about it. Am I missing something, cause that
would be a big deal for me? That's why I bought a Dell Venue Pro 8". My
thought was that I could run full photoshop and illustrator on an 8"
tablet that weighs less than a pound, but that device turned out to be
one little turd of a device. Dell even promptly discontinued it.

My laptop bag has a spot for the normal sized iPad. I'd want the bigger
one though. I just got the bag down to a nice slim size and low weight
and I am already thinking of ways to screw it up.
Post by Sandman
Post by Marek Novotny
Post by Sandman
[...]
I never got into either one of those. I have friends that loved Aperture
and were heart broken when Apple killed it. Sorry to be a downer, but I
always thought they'd kill it or ruin it. I never expected much. Felt
the same way about the FCP suite. I was a fan of Motion though. I was at
NAB when they launched it. Knocked my socks off.
Steve Carroll
2017-05-12 16:00:48 UTC
Post by Marek Novotny
Post by Sandman
Post by Marek Novotny
Post by Marek Novotny
Post by Sandman
Post by Marek Novotny
Post by Sandman
[...]
I liked it, too, but I always felt it was on the chopping block.
Post by Marek Novotny
I never expected much. Felt
the same way about the FCP suite.
I didn't feel that way about FCP, probably because I'd regularly attend the local
video shows and the cheerleading was never too far away.
Post by Marek Novotny
I was a fan of Motion though. I was at
NAB when they launched it. Knocked my socks off.
I think it's still pretty good, especially for the price. Awhile back I heard Apple
was giving students a deal on a bundle of their 'pro' software for ~$200.
Marek Novotny
2017-05-12 16:38:51 UTC
Post by Steve Carroll
Post by Marek Novotny
Post by Sandman
Post by Marek Novotny
Post by Marek Novotny
Post by Sandman
Post by Marek Novotny
I was a fan of Motion though. I was at NAB when they launched
it. Knocked my socks off.
I think it's still pretty good, especially for the price. Awhile
back I heard Apple was giving students a deal on a bundle of their
'pro' software for ~$200.
You'd need to learn Combustion to do a lot of what Motion does. I knew
some editors that went way overboard with that kind of thing. Giving
morons access to emitters can be a bad bad thing.

FCP is great for the YouTubers out there. People who think jump cuts are
acceptable editing techniques. Maybe now that much of the advertisers
have pulled out of YouTube and the Tubers are getting large haircuts,
perhaps a lot of the stupidity will end and bring reason to the
shit-hole.
Sandman
2017-05-12 16:37:09 UTC
Sandman
Marek Novotny
2017-05-12 16:56:58 UTC
Post by Sandman
Post by Marek Novotny
Post by Sandman
Only drawback of the iPad Pro is that it doesn't run the full
photoshop application like Companion/Surface does. For most of my
drawings and sketches that's just fine, but for my more serious
things, it falls short, unfortunately.
And correct me if I am wrong, you can't preview PSDs, AIs and InDD
or IDML with the iPad?
Of course you can, well maybe not InDesign files, but PSD and AI are
"previewable" on the iPad. Just tested it with the Dropbox app. Also, I
believe the ability to preview PSD and AI files is not a matter of the iPad
being able to read either format natively, but rather that both formats have
built-in preview data that is being shown. Not entirely sure, however. :)
Yes, DropBox can. But our files are on FTP. See here we go again. This
is yet again what the problem is with the iPad. So I need to get the
file into DropBox because DropBox can preview it. What needs to happen
here is there needs to be a viewer that be called upon to view the file
from ANY source, be it DropBox, FTP or whatever the storage happens to
be. Does that exist?
Post by Sandman
Post by Marek Novotny
My laptop bag has a spot for the normal sized iPad. I'd want the
bigger one though. I just got the bag down to a nice slim size and
low weight and I am already thinking of ways to screw it up.
Haha! Well... That's how these things work :-D
:)
Snit
2017-05-12 17:14:03 UTC
On 5/12/17, 9:56 AM, in article
Post by Marek Novotny
Post by Sandman
Post by Marek Novotny
Post by Sandman
[...]
You would have to test to see if it handles more, but at least PSD files
should be viewable with this:

<https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/psd-viewer-for-photoshop/id418319722>

There are other programs for different file types. And you can access these
types of programs from most other relevant ones.

http://youtu.be/H4NW-Cqh308
Steve Carroll
2017-05-12 17:42:57 UTC
Post by Marek Novotny
Post by Sandman
Post by Marek Novotny
Post by Sandman
[...]
FTP is just a transfer protocol and there are apps available for it on iOS. On their
own they won't open any given doc but they'll retrieve it.
Sandman
2017-05-13 06:45:50 UTC
Sandman
Marek Novotny
2017-05-13 09:23:23 UTC
Post by Sandman
Post by Marek Novotny
Post by Sandman
Of course you can, well maybe not InDesign files, but PSD and AI
are "previewable" on the iPad. Just tested it with the Dropbox
app. Also, I believe the ability to preview PSD and AI files is
not a matter of the iPad being able to read either format
natively, but rather that both formats have built-in preview data
that is being shown. Not entirely sure, however. :)
Yes, DropBox can. But our files are on FTP. See here we go again.
This is yet again what the problem is with the iPad. So I need to
get the file into DropBox because DropBox can preview it.
No no, dropbox can't preview anything, it uses the system built-in preview
capabilities. Maybe you've just used crappy FTP apps? I use Transmit mostly,
which doesn't preview, but I also have FTPManager, which does preview, just
checked. Previewed an .ai file without any problem
That's good to read. I'll look for that app in the app store and if that
solves it then great. These are just the problems I've run into in the
past and truth be told, I gave up on iOS because I got sick of
constantly trying to tons of apps looking for one that does what I need.
There just didn't seem to be any logic to it. Transmit is a good brand
as that used to be the desktop FTP app of choice on the Mac. Though I
have switched to FileZilla because on large transfers of many gigabytes
over slower FTP, I'd find that right at the end, Transmit on the desktop
would fail and FileZilla would succeed. And I felt like, wow, OpenSource
again proved to be the app that worked over the app I paid good money
for. That being Transmit.

Okay this is funny now. You know what, I went to my iPhone and I am
using FTPManager. I must have already ran though this on my own and
forgot about it. I know I tried a lot of apps. Some specifically
designed to preview these files which didn't work. DropBox I was aware
of. I must have forgot about FTPmanager. I have not had to do this for a
while. What happens is once in a while when I'm not in the office I
would get a call from the office asking me which side to use in a
cover.They are reversible. And the client tends to provide them as
either a press-ready PDF or a PSD. If they are PSDs they might either be
one PSD where I turn on a layer called, "reverse" which of course shows
me the reverse side, or it is simply a separate file called, reverse.
For the Press-Ready PDFs it is a similar situation.

Anyway, I would pull out my iPhone and attach to the company FTP to see
the primary side, do a screen shot and then MMS that or email that as
instructions for which side faces up. For a while this was happening
often and driving me a little crazy. So I bought a Dell Venue Pro 8"
which is a Quad Core Atom based Windows 10 tablet. The hope was to run
full versions of Adobe's suite such that I would simply use FTP to
download the art, see the proper side and then show a preview of it.

The problem with the venue is that in tablet mode, there was no good
tablet version of the file browser. Again, they may have changed. Like
iOS, you have to try app after app and hope to find one that does what
you want.

Now I was also not as knowledgeable as you are. I assumed I needed an
app that had it's own preview capability and not an app that merely had
access to a built in preview capability. Don't know if that's recent
capability of iOS. Part of the problem is that I gave up on iOS around
the time of the iPhone 4S. And so my belief of how it works tends to
stem from perception based on usage of the device. But once I have
checked and checked for something, I form an opinion and sometimes give
up on it.

Like at one point Apple did solve a big problem I had. I was writing
about an issue and I went to re-check the steps and instead of it not
working it worked. And I was happy about that. It had to do with being
able to email an attachment from an existing email to a new email, which
I am sure you know wasn't possible in the beginning but became possible
in updated iOS versions later.

Part of the issue is I just felt there should be an app by Adobe for
such things. Maybe there is now. I don't tend to keep checking into the
problem endlessly. At some point I just give up trying. But it's good to
vent a little and I grateful for your answers. Ultimately if it works,
I'm happy.
Post by Sandman
Post by Marek Novotny
What needs to happen here is there needs to be a viewer that be
called upon to view the file from ANY source, be it DropBox, FTP or
whatever the storage happens to be. Does that exist?
It's built in, but it has limited support. And apart from that,
there may be some form of universal "viewer" that you can open more
file formats in, but I haven't researched it. So with such an app,
you would just choose "open in..." in your FTP application and then
pick the preview app. And some desktop applications have mobile
"preview" apps as well, so you would open in that app.
Yeah, that I'm familiar with. It's a bit of trail and error. Buy the
app, see if it works, if not, remove app look for another. Ultimately
through frustration you may run into someone else who solved it or
solved it yourself. There are so many apps to choose from and in my
experience I'm likely to find several that don't work before I find one
that does. The question is, will I give up before I find one that works.
If I find too many that don't it's likely I might jump to the conclusion
that it simply isn't meant to be.

On the desktop, these are very simple things to do. No hoops to jump
through. The tablet, rather than being simple tends to be frustrating.
I'd prefer it work more like a desktop. The FTP app should just download
locally. A preview app, by Adobe, should then preview the file. I'm not
exactly expecting FTP apps to be preview apps for AI files. I find the
whole thing not logical.
Snit
2017-05-13 22:40:43 UTC
On 5/13/17, 2:23 AM, in article
Post by Marek Novotny
Post by Sandman
Post by Marek Novotny
Post by Sandman
[...]
The other day you said your phone of choice was an iPhone.
Post by Marek Novotny
because I got sick of
constantly trying to tons of apps looking for one that does what I need.
So too much choice. Interesting.
Post by Marek Novotny
There just didn't seem to be any logic to it. Transmit is a good brand
as that used to be the desktop FTP app of choice on the Mac. Though I
have switched to FileZilla because on large transfers of many gigabytes
over slower FTP, I'd find that right at the end, Transmit on the desktop
would fail and FileZilla would succeed. And I felt like, wow, OpenSource
again proved to be the app that worked over the app I paid good money
for. That being Transmit.
So use the one you like. I personally loathe FileZilla but to each their
own. I tend to use CyberDuck, which is also open source, if that matters.

<https://cyberduck.io>

Post by Marek Novotny
Now I was also not as knowledgeable as you are. I assumed I needed an
app that had it's own preview capability and not an app that merely had
access to a built in preview capability. Don't know if that's recent
capability of iOS. Part of the problem is that I gave up on iOS around
the time of the iPhone 4S. And so my belief of how it works tends to
stem from perception based on usage of the device. But once I have
checked and checked for something, I form an opinion and sometimes give
up on it.
But, again, did you not say you use an iPhone now?

Post by Marek Novotny
On the desktop, these are very simple things to do. No hoops to jump
through. The tablet, rather than being simple tends to be frustrating.
I'd prefer it work more like a desktop. The FTP app should just download
locally. A preview app, by Adobe, should then preview the file. I'm not
exactly expecting FTP apps to be preview apps for AI files. I find the
whole thing not logical.
Sounds like you want more of a desktop experience than a mobile one. And
that is fine... to each their own.

http://youtu.be/H4NW-Cqh308
chrisv
2017-05-10 12:39:24 UTC
Post by Marek Novotny
I don't think Android will ever win a speed war. Apple is native to teh
hardware and Android is JAVA. (.........) I was so
sick of that tiny iPhone screen and Samsung decided to give a big phone
a shot. My best friend took one look at it and bought one too. That's
why I want competition. I don't like Apple, as you already know. I don't
like a company that thinks they know better than I do what I want.
There are advantages to focusing a lot of resources on a small number
of "best choices". It can produce some excellent products, for the
market segments that are covered. The downside, of course, is the
small number of choices, which leaves more of the market uncovered.

Initially, it was a single model of iPhone, right? Of course, that's
going to be the "right size" for only a small fraction of the market,
and size is only one of many important attributes of a smart phone's
design.
Post by Marek Novotny
I think they make a good phone. But to be perfectly honest, I feel like
we had to beat them up to do it. Without Samsung building a market for
small tablets and large phones I just don't think Apple would have done
it. And small tablets and large phones turned out to be what consumers
actually wanted.
Competition makes everyone better, even "the great" Steve Jobs. Keep
in mind, too, how young this market is. No one should be surprised it
took a few years to mature, for consumers and producers to figure
things out.
Post by Marek Novotny
I could go on and on but I know you like Apple and I don't mean to bash
them all the time. I try to be respectful. I'm just glad they don't own
the market. As long as they are only part of the market I don't really
care what they do. Having one company that thinks they know better then
their customers themselves is okay for a niche segment. I'd really hate
it if it were the norm.
Everyone knows what happens when one company absolutely dominates a
market. The inevitable results are mediocre products, poor customer
service, lack of innovation, poor consumer value, and insufficient
product choice. Will people "survive"? Yes. Will it be far from
optimal? Yes.
--
"90% and more of the worlds businesses use Windows desktops. probably
about 95% of the home desktops run Windows if not more. Why? It works
for them." - "True Linux advocate" Hadron Quark
Snit
2017-05-10 15:21:50 UTC
Post by chrisv
Post by Marek Novotny
[...]
Having fewer sizes makes it easier for application developers to develop for
those sizes though. So there are tradeoffs.
Post by chrisv
Post by Marek Novotny
I think they make a good phone. But to be perfectly honest, I feel like
we had to beat them up to do it. Without Samsung building a market for
small tablets and large phones I just don't think Apple would have done
it. And small tablets and large phones turned out to be what consumers
actually wanted.
Competition makes everyone better, even "the great" Steve Jobs.
Of course.
Post by chrisv
Keep in mind, too, how young this market is. No one should be surprised it
took a few years to mature, for consumers and producers to figure things out.
Looks like as that is happening Linux is being pushed aside. I did not see
that coming.
Post by chrisv
Post by Marek Novotny
I could go on and on but I know you like Apple and I don't mean to bash
them all the time. I try to be respectful. I'm just glad they don't own
the market. As long as they are only part of the market I don't really
care what they do. Having one company that thinks they know better then
their customers themselves is okay for a niche segment. I'd really hate
it if it were the norm.
Everyone knows what happens when one company absolutely dominates a
market. The inevitable results are mediocre products, poor customer
service, lack of innovation, poor consumer value, and insufficient
product choice. Will people "survive"? Yes. Will it be far from
optimal? Yes.
Agreed. I am happy Android pushes Apple... though I wish they had come up
with more of their own ideas at the start and not copied Apple so much. To
be fair they did later add quite a bit and Apple copied from them.

http://youtu.be/H4NW-Cqh308
Marek Novotny
2017-05-10 16:15:16 UTC
Post by Marek Novotny
I could go on and on but I know you like Apple and I don't mean to bash
them all the time. I try to be respectful. I'm just glad they don't own
the market. As long as they are only part of the market I don't really
care what they do. Having one company that thinks they know better then
their customers themselves is okay for a niche segment. I'd really hate
it if it were the norm.
Everyone knows what happens when one company absolutely dominates a
market. The inevitable results are mediocre products, poor customer
service, lack of innovation, poor consumer value, and insufficient
product choice. Will people "survive"? Yes. Will it be far from
optimal? Yes.
It's been ten years and I have to opine that what we get from Apple is a
lot of fluff. Kicking words around like, totally redesigned, in their
marketing. The make small, iterative changes. I don't see them as being
any different from what RIM was doing with the Blackberry. They took the
next logical step, but they are staying put just as RIM took the next
logical step and then stayed put.

When Apple released the Apple II and then the Mac, the Mac was a
departure. They took the next step. The iPhone in my opinion has yet to
do this. The benefit the way I see it is that there has been a lot of
development and advances for ARM processors. I'm actually more excited
for that than I am with anything Android or iOS has going on. Maybe
we'll get a something in ARM we can use on the desktop, like always on
event driven alerts. Then we can make standard Linux do more of what
benefits the low powered mobile, but on a full-blown OS.

I get the benefits I need from the full OS, not the mobile. Mobile is
merely a convenience. But anytime I want to get real work done, mobile
isn't my friend.
chrisv
2017-05-10 16:46:38 UTC
Post by Marek Novotny
I get the benefits I need from the full OS, not the mobile. Mobile is
merely a convenience. But anytime I want to get real work done, mobile
isn't my friend.
I have no use, at all, for a "smart phone". Don't have one, don't
want one.

I mean, I'm sure it would *occasionally* be useful, but not worth the
cost and hassle.
--
"Once again, the default assumption of Linux advocacy is that all of
their woes can only be due to how evil Microsoft is, and no other
possibility." - lying asshole "-hh", lying shamelessly
RonB
2017-05-10 17:46:23 UTC
Post by chrisv
Post by Marek Novotny
I get the benefits I need from the full OS, not the mobile. Mobile is
merely a convenience. But anytime I want to get real work done, mobile
isn't my friend.
I have no use, at all, for a "smart phone". Don't have one, don't
want one.
I mean, I'm sure it would *occasionally* be useful, but not worth the
cost and hassle.
I like a smartphone because I have my email accounts on it. Sometimes I use
the navigation/map feature. I can my read books on it -- which comes in
useful when I'm stuck waiting somewhere. I can dictate notes on it, which
are synced with Simplenote (I don't use Evernote much anymore). It has the
weather and my calendar on the first screen. I play music on it (again, when
I'm stuck waiting in the car). This is about all I use it for. (Oh, and I
can tether my laptop to it if my power and/or cable goes down and I want to
see what's going on.) I also use texting (and my wife sends pictures
occasionally, so I guess I use MMS texting as well).

As for expense ... the Sprint Blackberry Q10 cost about $40 or $45 and my
monthly bill with Twigby (a Sprint MVNO with Verizon roaming for voice and
text) was $12 this month. Last month it was $17, but I dropped back on my
plan a bit because I wasn't even using 500 minutes or 500 MBs that the $17
got me. I'm guessing most smartphone users wouldn't be able to live on the
200 minutes (unlimited text) and the 150MBs of data I have this month. (You
do get unlimited, throttled (very slow) data after the first 150MBs, but I
doubt I'll need it.)
Zero Tolerance for iCultists and WinTrolls
Chris Ahlstrom
2017-05-10 22:24:14 UTC
Post by RonB
Post by chrisv
Post by Marek Novotny
[...]
I agree more with Ron on this one :-).
--
Q: Why do WASPs play golf ?
A: So they can dress like pimps.
chrisv
2017-05-11 12:01:31 UTC
Post by RonB
As for expense ... the Sprint Blackberry Q10 cost about $40 or $45 and my
monthly bill with Twigby (a Sprint MVNO with Verizon roaming for voice and
text) was $12 this month. Last month it was $17, but I dropped back on my
plan a bit because I wasn't even using 500 minutes or 500 MBs that the $17
got me. I'm guessing most smartphone users wouldn't be able to live on the
200 minutes (unlimited text) and the 150MBs of data I have this month. (You
do get unlimited, throttled (very slow) data after the first 150MBs, but I
doubt I'll need it.)
Something like that would be OK for me. I just wouldn't use it much.
--
"the hatred over commercially developed computer oses seems to be a
psychotic one." - some piece of shit that calls itself "GreyCloud"
m***@gmail.com
2017-05-14 22:40:14 UTC
Post by Sandman
http://youtu.be/OX4JucpvbJM
The iPhone 7 eats every other phone for breakfast in every test but one. It's
actually pretty awesome to see, even if you don't like iPhone. It's what you
get when you design both the OS and the CPU. You can optimise it a *lot*
--
Sandman
WOW!!! Great Apple flag waving.

Perhaps if Cook notices, he will let you suck his dick.

Have you frightened any small children lately with your stench and really ugly looks?