Having a problem with my Linux router
-hh
2021-07-28 12:46:51 UTC
After a couple of reboots & factory resets, it is still manifesting some odd behavior...

...anyone have some router models to suggest for a replacement?

Basic interests are:

* Gigabit Ethernet
* Latest WiFi bands
* probably Mesh too

Plus whatever other 'future proofing' is worthwhile to consider.

-hh
SilverSlimer
2021-07-29 02:11:12 UTC
Post by -hh
After a couple of reboots & factory resets, it is still manifesting some odd behavior...
...anyone have some router models to suggest for a replacement?
* Gigabit Ethernet
* Latest WiFi bands
* probably Mesh too
Plus whatever other 'future proofing' is worthwhile to consider.
Avoid the Netgear RAX models; they're disgustingly awful.
--
SilverSlimer
@silverslimer
RonB
2021-07-29 13:49:59 UTC
Post by SilverSlimer
Post by -hh
After a couple of reboots & factory resets, it is still manifesting some odd behavior...
...anyone have some router models to suggest for a replacement?
* Gigabit Ethernet
* Latest WiFi bands
* probably Mesh too
Plus whatever other 'future proofing' is worthwhile to consider.
Avoid the Netgear RAX models; they're disgustingly awful.
I have had good luck with TP-Link routers (medium grade ones, like the
AC1200). Our cable company provided us with a LAN/WiFi router — and the WiFi
went belly up within a week. The router itself works pretty well — so I
turned my TP-Link into an AP and it's been working well for over a year now.
(We had used it as a router for about a year in Texas.) My son has one of
these as well, he uses his as a router down in Texas. Reliable. I wouldn't
use Netgear anymore — I had two routers from them that quit in about six
months (underbuilt). This may not be true for the high-end models, I don't
know. Linksys was bought out by Cisco, then sold to Belkin (and became crap)
and then Belkin was bought by Foxconn (I didn't even know that) — so they're
probably super-crap by now.

So, yeah, TP-Link works well for me. Good value and flexible and easy to
use.
--
These years, during which the accursed SECT OF MASONRY will take control of
the civil government... These unfortunate men will think the Convent
and the triumph will be ours..." — Our Lady of Good Success
SilverSlimer
2021-07-29 14:48:36 UTC
Post by RonB
Post by SilverSlimer
Post by -hh
[...]
The only reason I even bothered with Netgear is because of how my house
is set up. I was given a router by the ISP but since the entrance of
wires is in the basement, there was no way the router's signal would
reach the second or third floor of the house. The end result is that I
knew I would need an extender, but extending a weakened signal from the
main floor to the second and third was met with limited success. Luckily
for me, when the guys built this house, they left unfinished CAT5E
cables in the walls that I was able to finish and turn into six Ethernet
ports in the house. The end result was that I had the ISP's router in
the basement, an extender plugged into Ethernet in the main floor's
living room and since that created a dead signal on the south side of
the house, I bought what reviews said was a solid router with great
range in the Netgear RAX40.

However, that thing has since been reputed to have a terrible processor
some Intel crap, the range was garbage and even though you would
properly set it up to work as an extender, it never worked whether you
set it up to automatically obtain DNS settings or you put them in
yourself. Additionally, it would go from 250-300mbps one second to
disconnecting you the next and no firmware updates corrected the
situation. Eventually, I realized that despite the professional reviews,
the only ones that matter are those of users who universally found this
unit to be a piece of garbage.

As a result, I got another D-Link extender and plugged it to the top
floor Ethernet connection. As such, every room of the house gets a
signal inside of an improvised mesh. Now, no matter where people are,
they get a minimum of 300mbps.
--
SilverSlimer
@silverslimer
RonB
2021-07-29 21:17:29 UTC
Post by SilverSlimer
Post by RonB
Post by SilverSlimer
Post by -hh
[...]
Ah, D-Link. I knew there was one I was forgetting.
SilverSlimer
2021-07-29 22:27:24 UTC
Post by RonB
Post by SilverSlimer
Post by RonB
Post by SilverSlimer
Post by -hh
[...]
It shouldn't be considered among the best but I have to admit that I've
never been poorly served by the brand regardless of the fact that there
are better like ASUS. At the end of the day, they sell for a reasonable
price and are fairly reliable if you set them up using some common
sense. So far, Netgear is 0 for 2 with me and I truly believe that their
products are some of the worst on the market.
--
SilverSlimer
@silverslimer
RonB
2021-07-30 01:04:30 UTC
Post by SilverSlimer
Post by RonB
Post by SilverSlimer
Post by RonB
Post by SilverSlimer
Post by -hh
[...]
Which is sad, because NetGear used to be one of the best.
Branimir Maksimovic
2021-07-29 04:14:48 UTC
Post by -hh
After a couple of reboots & factory resets, it is still manifesting some odd behavior...
...anyone have some router models to suggest for a replacement?
* Gigabit Ethernet
* Latest WiFi bands
* probably Mesh too
Plus whatever other 'future proofing' is worthwhile to consider.
ax86u hands down
~ >>> iperf3 -c branimirs-air -p 4670
Connecting to host branimirs-air, port 4670
[ 5] local 192.168.101.100 port 33726 connected to 192.168.101.232 port 4670
[ ID] Interval Transfer Bitrate Retr Cwnd
[ 5] 0.00-1.00 sec 87.9 MBytes 737 Mbits/sec 0 3.03 MBytes
[ 5] 1.00-2.00 sec 98.8 MBytes 829 Mbits/sec 77 2.64 MBytes
[ 5] 2.00-3.00 sec 104 MBytes 870 Mbits/sec 0 2.85 MBytes
[ 5] 3.00-4.00 sec 108 MBytes 902 Mbits/sec 0 3.01 MBytes
[ 5] 4.00-5.00 sec 85.0 MBytes 713 Mbits/sec 62 2.23 MBytes
[ 5] 5.00-6.00 sec 90.0 MBytes 755 Mbits/sec 0 2.34 MBytes
[ 5] 6.00-7.00 sec 105 MBytes 881 Mbits/sec 0 2.42 MBytes
[ 5] 7.00-8.00 sec 98.8 MBytes 828 Mbits/sec 0 2.48 MBytes
[ 5] 8.00-9.00 sec 105 MBytes 881 Mbits/sec 0 2.52 MBytes
[ 5] 9.00-10.00 sec 109 MBytes 912 Mbits/sec 0 2.55 MBytes
[ ID] Interval Transfer Bitrate Retr
[ 5] 0.00-10.00 sec 990 MBytes 831 Mbits/sec 139 sender
[ 5] 0.00-10.01 sec 983 MBytes 824 Mbits/sec receiver

You have Merlin firmware for it, and MU-MIMO works unlike openWRT based routers.
Post by -hh
-hh
bmaxa now listens Yammat FM
-hh
2021-07-29 10:22:37 UTC
Post by Branimir Maksimovic
Post by -hh
[...]
If that's a ping to my current router, that's not the one causing troubles (Verizon).

I had an older router (Belkin) still laying around that I've put in as a temporary
substitute.

Per the above differentiation of Merlin vs openWRT, are you suggesting one over the other?

-hh
Branimir Maksimovic
2021-07-29 10:44:35 UTC
https://www.tanaza.com/blog/mu-mimo-technology-explained/
Post by -hh
I had an older router (Belkin) still laying around that I've put in as a temporary
substitute.
Per the above differentiation of Merlin vs openWRT, are you suggesting one over the other?
Of course, Merlin uses closed sourced drivers that support all hardware features.
Merlin is like openWRT but only on certain Asus routers.
Post by -hh
-hh
bmaxa now listens Yammat FM
J***@.
1970-01-01 00:00:00 UTC
My hearty crew of about 50 squatters,
and their thieving junkie friends,
were (inadvertently?) DoS attacking my old router,
bringing it to its knees. Malware ?!

The solution was to purchase a state-of-the-art,
low-power router that uses smart phone technology:

Dynalink DL-WRX36; 143 $, after 10% tax.
14nm Qualcomm IPQ8072a (ARM) CPU, ddr4.

P.S. Like Jimmy Carter & FDR, Joe Biden spoils us.
As Coolio put it, 1994, we're living in a "Gangsta's Paradise"

-hh
2021-08-03 02:57:04 UTC
Post by Branimir Maksimovic
Of course, Merlin uses closed sourced drivers that support all hardware features.
Merlin is like openWRT but only on certain Asus routers.
Understood. In the meantime, it sounds like the problem I'm experiencing might be
associated with Verizon's use of “McAfee Home Network Protection” which decided
that my domain was a hazard or some BS and created the block? Where things get
interesting/frustrating is that I'd spend a decent amount of time going over every
configuration setting on the Router's web interface page and never saw "McAfee" listed;
<https://forums.verizon.com/t5/Fios-Internet/Paged-Blocked-by-Verizon-McAffe-Home-Network-Protection/td-p/872477>
I'll have to rejigger my network to put the 'bad' Verizon router back facing their modem
to be able to access it, and then see what options I have - - I suspect that it will probably
be a grossly oversimplified "turn entire service on/off" as opposed to actually being able
to go in to manually enter the desired exception.
Well, while tracking the above to ground, found two more elements of "fun". First one
was that McAfee is apparently only accessible via the smartphone App, which for my
account isn't showing up for some reason (ticket submitted).

Second part was that my rejiggered Network with the old router tanked this AM with the
same symptoms between 07:49 - 08:03 local time, which excludes it from being McAfee.
Turns out that the router config said "use ISP's DNS" and since a "not found" can also be
a DNS issue, changed Verizon's (71.250.0.12 or 71.242.0.12) to Google's (8.8.8.8 / 8.8.4.4)
did the trick.

I'll still pursue the McAfee ticket, as its not clear why the setting isn't showing up in the App
and will probably try to bite me later/etc....

-hh

FR
2021-07-29 14:09:36 UTC
Post by -hh
...anyone have some router models to suggest for a replacement?
Here is THE router for a GNU/Linux workstation:

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/routers/rv160-vpn-router/index.html

What it doesn't have you don't need. Period.

Wireless? Don't make me laugh. Only pansies and faggots
want wireless.

All "he men" keep their bytes inside wire at all times.