why is there no active anime group on usenet?
Add Reply
kami
2024-09-22 06:20:55 UTC
i am searching but not getting anything.

if you know any hidden anime group, please let me know.
Woozy Song
2024-09-22 09:30:34 UTC
Post by kami
i am searching but not getting anything.
if you know any hidden anime group, please let me know.
why is Oktoberfest in September? My ex-wife was Bavarian and we never
went - it was a tourist trap.
%
2024-09-22 12:52:11 UTC
Post by Woozy Song
Post by kami
i am searching but not getting anything.
if you know any hidden anime group, please let me know.
why is Oktoberfest in September? My ex-wife was Bavarian and we never
went - it was a tourist trap.
i don't go to them either ,
i just can't pay $10 for a beer
kami
what is she doing these days, is she alive?
Altered Beast
2024-09-23 19:26:17 UTC
Post by Woozy Song
Post by kami
i am searching but not getting anything.
if you know any hidden anime group, please let me know.
why is Oktoberfest in September? My ex-wife was Bavarian and we never
went - it was a tourist trap.
because okto means 8th (August) and everybody is procrastinatin'

I'd do just about anything for a big dark beer.
Lawrence D'Oliveiro
2024-09-25 01:54:21 UTC
Post by Woozy Song
why is Oktoberfest in September?
because okto means 8th ...
“September” -- Latin for “seventh month”
“October” -- “eighth month”
“November” -- “ninth month”
“December” -- “tenth month”

Work backwards from that, and you figure out that the Roman New Year began
in March.
candycanearter07
2024-09-25 13:40:05 UTC
Post by Lawrence D'Oliveiro
Post by Woozy Song
why is Oktoberfest in September?
because okto means 8th ...
“September” -- Latin for “seventh month”
“October” -- “eighth month”
“November” -- “ninth month”
“December” -- “tenth month”
Work backwards from that, and you figure out that the Roman New Year began
in March.
I thought the seasons were out of order because Augustus created July
and August.
rbowman
2024-09-25 18:54:26 UTC
Post by candycanearter07
I thought the seasons were out of order because Augustus created July
and August.
No, he only renamed Quintilis and Sextilis. Originally they ignored winter
and had ten months starting with March. January and February were the
additions.

Because of the rounding error of the solar year to 365.25 days by the 16th
century 21 March had drifted away from the vernal equinox. Figuring out
Easter depends on the equinox and moon phase which is why Easter is a
moveable feast and doesn't necessarily occur the same time as Passover
although the Barabbas thing was due to the Passover celebration according
to the bible.

The Julian calendar had a leap year every 4 years to realign it but that
was a little overkill. Pope Gregory instituted the current leap year
algorithm. The Jews have their own scheme, hence the drift of Passover
versus Easter,

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leap_year

The original October Revolution question came about because Russia didn't
partially go Gregorian until 1918 so Julian date still fell in October.
That's also why Orthodox Christmas is in January at least in Russia. I
think Zelensky declared it to be 25 December.
Lawrence D'Oliveiro
2024-09-26 00:38:27 UTC
Post by candycanearter07
Post by Lawrence D'Oliveiro
Work backwards from that, and you figure out that the Roman New Year
began in March.
I thought the seasons were out of order because Augustus created July
and August.
Springtime (planting season) is the most logical time to start the New
Year if you live in a primarily agrarian society in the temperate zone.
Lawrence D'Oliveiro
2024-09-25 01:52:04 UTC
Was that the same reason the October Revolution was actually in November?
rbowman
2024-09-25 04:09:48 UTC
Post by Lawrence D'Oliveiro
Post by Woozy Song
why is Oktoberfest in September?
Was that the same reason the October Revolution was actually in November?
No, the October Revolution started on 25 October just like Christmas in
Russia is 25 December even though you might think it's January.

Late September is more conducive to drinking beer than October. The local
city has a low rent one day thing called Germanfest. For years it was on
Labor Day weekend, the day before the first Monday in September, not a
really great time slot. This year it is on 6 October so we'll see how that
works out.
Lawrence D'Oliveiro
2024-09-25 06:55:03 UTC
Post by rbowman
Post by Lawrence D'Oliveiro
Post by Woozy Song
why is Oktoberfest in September?
Was that the same reason the October Revolution was actually in November?
No, the October Revolution started on 25 October just like Christmas in
Russia is 25 December even though you might think it's January.
We use a calendar that stays roughly in sync with the seasons, they
didn’t.
rbowman
2024-09-25 07:35:04 UTC
Post by Lawrence D'Oliveiro
Post by rbowman
Post by Lawrence D'Oliveiro
Post by Woozy Song
why is Oktoberfest in September?
Was that the same reason the October Revolution was actually in November?
No, the October Revolution started on 25 October just like Christmas in
Russia is 25 December even though you might think it's January.
We use a calendar that stays roughly in sync with the seasons, they
didn’t.
The Julian calendar is close enough for government work. A 365.25 year
versus 365.24 means you gain about 3 days in 400 years. It will be 13 days
off the Gregorian calendar until 2100. Not my problem.
Lawrence D'Oliveiro
2024-09-26 00:40:23 UTC
Post by rbowman
The Julian calendar is close enough for government work.
Speaking of “Government work”, remember that the satnav systems that give
you your position accurate down to a few metres, with a corresponding time
base down to a few tens of nanoseconds, are all Government-run.
rbowman
2024-09-26 00:59:24 UTC
Post by Lawrence D'Oliveiro
Post by rbowman
The Julian calendar is close enough for government work.
Speaking of “Government work”, remember that the satnav systems that
give you your position accurate down to a few metres, with a
corresponding time base down to a few tens of nanoseconds, are all
Government-run.
Yeah and I remember when if you weren't military they gave you your
position accurate down to 100 meters. Lifting SA was one of the few
worthwhile things the Zipper did. But remember the government giveth and
the government taketh away. I doubt that would ever happen with SA; too
much of the government uses COTS GPS receivers.

I have an operational Garmin II. The granularity is a tenth of a mile
because that's all there was.
Chris Ahlstrom
2024-09-26 11:08:47 UTC
Post by rbowman
Post by Lawrence D'Oliveiro
Post by rbowman
The Julian calendar is close enough for government work.
Speaking of “Government work”, remember that the satnav systems that
give you your position accurate down to a few metres, with a
corresponding time base down to a few tens of nanoseconds, are all
Government-run.
Yeah and I remember when if you weren't military they gave you your
position accurate down to 100 meters. Lifting SA was one of the few
worthwhile things the Zipper did. But remember the government giveth and
the government taketh away. I doubt that would ever happen with SA; too
much of the government uses COTS GPS receivers.
I have an operational Garmin II. The granularity is a tenth of a mile
because that's all there was.
My Amazon Bip 3 supports GLONASS (ГЛОНАСС) Глобальная навигационная спутниковая
система,

It is horrorshow! :-)
--
I profoundly believe it takes a lot of practice to become a moral slob.
-- William F. Buckley
rbowman
2024-09-26 19:02:15 UTC
Post by Chris Ahlstrom
My Amazon Bip 3 supports GLONASS (ГЛОНАСС) Глобальная навигационная
спутниковая система,
As does my Garmin eTrex 20. I have one that supports WAAS but it doesn't
work that well this far north. They don't mention it in most of the newer
receivers. Maybe some day Galileo will be functional. I haven't seen any
that do BeiDou unless there are units aimed at the Asia-Pacific market.
%
how far north , i'm near alaska and mine works
rbowman
2024-09-26 20:01:43 UTC
Post by %
Post by rbowman
Post by Chris Ahlstrom
My Amazon Bip 3 supports GLONASS (ГЛОНАСС) Глобальная навигационная
спутниковая система,
As does my Garmin eTrex 20. I have one that supports WAAS but it
doesn't work that well this far north. They don't mention it in most of
the newer receivers. Maybe some day Galileo will be functional. I
haven't seen any that do BeiDou unless there are units aimed at the
Asia-Pacific market.
how far north , i'm near alaska and mine works
47 N. To clarify: the GPS works fine but WAAS wasn't too useful in this
area.

https://www.garmin.com/en-US/aboutgps/waas/

"For some users in the U.S., the position of the satellites over the
equator makes it difficult to receive the signals when trees or mountains
obstruct the view of the horizon. WAAS signal reception is ideal for open
land and marine applications. "

I haven't experimented in a dew years but I can turn WAAS/GLONASS on or
off and I never saw any improvement. Trees and mountains are part of my
life.
%
try living in the rockies
Relf
2024-09-26 21:22:54 UTC
zZombie(%): try living in the rockies

rBowman lives 3,200 feet up in the Rocky Mountains,
on the continental divide where a river flows both to
the Pacific Ocean & the Gulf of Mexico, Lewis & Clark's dream.
rbowman
2024-09-26 22:08:55 UTC
Post by Relf
zZombie(%): try living in the rockies
rBowman lives 3,200 feet up in the Rocky Mountains,
on the continental divide where a river flows both to the Pacific Ocean
& the Gulf of Mexico, Lewis & Clark's dream.
I live further west than the Divide, more like Lewis & Clark's nightmare:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bitterroot_Mountains

They stumbled around following branches of the Missouri, more or less
lost. Wise woman guide, Sacajawea, was just as lost. Supposedly finally
recognized the area around Lolo but the fun was just beginning.

https://www.nps.gov/places/lolo-trail-mt-id.htm

It took until 1962 before the portion of US 12 that follows the trail was
completed. There was a lot of interest during the bicentennial of the
expedition and a trail from Howard Creek to Lolo pass was patched together
and called the L&C trail. I've no idea how accurate it is. It crosses the
creek once but is otherwise up on the ridges.

The Travelers Rest camp at Lolo is one of the few spots that are pinned
down. L&C used Dr. Rush's Thunderbolt to cure everything and they left a
mercury signature at the latrine.

https://www.nps.gov/articles/000/historic-latrines-help-archeologists-
retrace-the-lewis-and-clark-trail.htm
%
i'm almost on the divide
rbowman
2024-09-27 02:20:07 UTC
Post by %
i'm almost on the divide
I cross it on MacDonald Pass on my way to Helena and sometimes hike for a
ways on the Divide trail. There are a couple of interesting chunks east of
Butte too. At least you know when you're doing it. You don't get much
feeling of accomplishment when you cross the eastern branch on I-80 in
Wyoming.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/zacharymaillard/956756289

High Plains Drifter anyone? The movie was filmed around Lake Mono. Wyoming
doesn't get too much love by movie makers. 'Joe Pickett' was filmed around
Calgary and 'Longmire' was filmed in New Mexico.
%
2024-09-27 03:04:35 UTC
Post by rbowman
Post by %
i'm almost on the divide
I cross it on MacDonald Pass on my way to Helena and sometimes hike for a
ways on the Divide trail. There are a couple of interesting chunks east of
Butte too. At least you know when you're doing it. You don't get much
feeling of accomplishment when you cross the eastern branch on I-80 in
Wyoming.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/zacharymaillard/956756289
High Plains Drifter anyone? The movie was filmed around Lake Mono. Wyoming
doesn't get too much love by movie makers. 'Joe Pickett' was filmed around
Calgary and 'Longmire' was filmed in New Mexico.
i usually stay on the west side ,
but there's a town on the east side ,
that is bigger than the one near me
rbowman
2024-09-27 05:14:16 UTC
i usually stay on the west side , but there's a town on the east side ,
that is bigger than the one near me
So do I. There are a few interesting places but as you go east in Montana
you wind up in the real 'Big Sky' country where the horizon is defined by
the curvature of the earth.

There is another factor. In the winter when you see the weather maps
showing an arctic air mass sagging down into the middle of the US many
times it doesn't break over the divide. Last year it did with about a week
of -20 F temperatures.
-hh
2024-09-27 17:32:04 UTC
Post by rbowman
Post by %
i'm almost on the divide
I cross it on MacDonald Pass on my way to Helena and sometimes hike for a
ways on the Divide trail. There are a couple of interesting chunks east of
Butte too. At least you know when you're doing it. You don't get much
feeling of accomplishment when you cross the eastern branch on I-80 in
Wyoming.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/zacharymaillard/956756289
Some neat stuff there, as well as the counties map:

Is that tool fairly easy to use, or is it more effort than its really
worth? Been wondering on if to sign up or not.

-hh
Chris Ahlstrom
2024-09-27 11:11:05 UTC
Post by rbowman
Post by Relf
zZombie(%): try living in the rockies
rBowman lives 3,200 feet up in the Rocky Mountains,
on the continental divide where a river flows both to the Pacific Ocean
& the Gulf of Mexico, Lewis & Clark's dream.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bitterroot_Mountains

C.W. McCall - Wolf Creek Pass

<sorry, vallor!>
--
We've sent a man to the moon, and that's 29,000 miles away. The center
of the Earth is only 4,000 miles away. You could drive that in a week,
-- Andy Rooney
rbowman
2024-09-27 18:02:59 UTC
Post by Chris Ahlstrom
Post by rbowman
Post by Relf
zZombie(%): try living in the rockies
rBowman lives 3,200 feet up in the Rocky Mountains,
on the continental divide where a river flows both to the Pacific
Ocean & the Gulf of Mexico, Lewis & Clark's dream.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bitterroot_Mountains
http://youtu.be/X6LzWZYWpOU
C.W. McCall - Wolf Creek Pass
<sorry, vallor!>
I've been over Wolf Creek a couple of times but it wasn't that dramatic
but the truck had a Jake brake. Some truckers that primarily run in the
east don't and they have a lot more fun with the passes in the west.

The last time I was in a passenger car and I was going to stop and hike a
little on the Continental Divide trail. Maybe the rhododendrons were
blooming in the Breaks Interstate Park on the Kentucky/Virginia border but
it was still winter on the pass and I didn't have snowshoes. When I got
down to the Forest Service campground outside of Pagosa Springs it was
springtime again.
rbowman
2024-09-26 21:39:27 UTC
Post by %
try living in the rockies
The last time I looked I was living in the Rockies. Let me check... Yup,
Point Six is still there.

https://www.peakbagger.com/peak.aspx?pid=29832
%
2024-09-26 21:46:13 UTC
Post by rbowman
Post by %
try living in the rockies
The last time I looked I was living in the Rockies. Let me check... Yup,
Point Six is still there.
https://www.peakbagger.com/peak.aspx?pid=29832
ok now just move north and up a bit higher

Relf
2024-09-26 22:18:35 UTC
zZombie(%): Berg Lake, Canadian Rockies

Jasper National Park is closer to Edmonton (Alberta) than Vancouver BC.
Lots of Ukrainians there, I hear. They should rename it: New Kyiv.
%
2024-09-26 22:36:48 UTC
and we'll call the oil plant , new newfoundland
rbowman
Is it populated by Newfies?
%
the whole province is
rbowman
2024-09-27 01:38:55 UTC
Post by Relf
zZombie(%): Berg Lake, Canadian Rockies
Jasper National Park is closer to Edmonton (Alberta) than Vancouver BC.
Lots of Ukrainians there, I hear. They should rename it: New Kyiv.
Hutterites? They aren't Ukrainians but iirc the Ukraine was the last
European country they moved to before the Dakotas and Montana. Then when
the government tried to draft them during WWI they headed north to Canada.

Leaving the Ukraine was the same deal; Russia made military service
compulsory.
Relf
2024-09-27 13:27:22 UTC
Relf: Ukrainians in Edmonton. rBowman: Hutterites ?

No, they speak Ukrainian, not Dutch.
1891, Ukrainians got free land in Edmonton, AB.

Quote:

With THE COLLAPSE OF THE SOVIET UNION,
a new wave of immigration from Ukraine and other countries of
the former Communist bloc began to immigrate to Edmonton and area.

As a result of THE WAR IN THE FORMER YUGOSLAVIA
there was an urgent need to help Ukrainians who were in refugee camps.

Ukrainian mothers can/do live anywhere they want.
Relf
2024-09-27 22:44:48 UTC
zZombie(%): Berg Lake, Canadian Rockies

You can float to Vancouver BC, just jump in the Fraser River.
Getting back would be tougher.
%
2024-09-27 23:10:47 UTC
Post by Relf
zZombie(%): Berg Lake, Canadian Rockies
You can float to Vancouver BC, just jump in the Fraser River.
Getting back would be tougher.
stick to the sides and ,
if you have to ,
get out and tow it with a rope
Lawrence D'Oliveiro
2024-09-28 07:48:21 UTC
Post by rbowman
Post by Lawrence D'Oliveiro
Post by rbowman
The Julian calendar is close enough for government work.
Speaking of “Government work”, remember that the satnav systems that
give you your position accurate down to a few metres, with a
corresponding time base down to a few tens of nanoseconds, are all
Government-run.
Yeah and I remember when if you weren't military they gave you your
position accurate down to 100 meters. Lifting SA was one of the few
worthwhile things the Zipper did. But remember the government giveth and
the government taketh away.
Yes, but there is competition now. What one Government might decide to
take away, another one can still offer you.

DFS
2024-09-22 19:44:20 UTC
Post by kami
i am searching but not getting anything.
if you know any hidden anime group, please let me know.
Why are you asking about anime in an OS group?

blocknews carries 158 anime groups.

a.b.multimedia.anime
airnews.alt.media.anime
alt.anime
alt.anime.cardcaptor-sakura
alt.anime.cowboy-bebop
alt.anime.dothack
alt.anime.escaflowne
alt.anime.gundam
alt.anime.shoujo
alt.anime.techi-muyo
alt.anime.tenchi-muyo
alt.bainaries.pictures.erotica.anime
alt.binaires.pictures.anime
alt.binaires.pictures.erotica.anime
alt.binares.trader79.anime.hentai
alt.binaries.anime
alt.binaries.anime.dragonballz
alt.binaries.anime.dvd
alt.binaries.anime.german
alt.binaries.anime.highspeed
alt.binaries.anime.raw
alt.binaries.anime.repost
alt.binaries.anime.tenchi
alt.binaries.anime.vcd
alt.binaries.cartoons.french.anime-fansub
alt.binaries.cartoons.french.animes-fansub
alt.binaries.cartoons.french.animes-fansub.d
alt.binaries.dvd.anime
alt.binaries.dvd.anime.fr
alt.binaries.dvd.anime.french
alt.binaries.dvd.anime.french.d
alt.binaries.dvd.anime.repost
alt.binaries.erotic.anime
alt.binaries.erotica.anime
alt.binaries.erotica.anime.yaoi
alt.binaries.games.anime
alt.binaries.movies.anime.divx
alt.binaries.movies.divx.anime
alt.binaries.multimedia.anime
alt.binaries.multimedia.anime.aus
alt.binaries.multimedia.anime.d
alt.binaries.multimedia.anime.dialup
alt.binaries.multimedia.anime.highspeed
alt.binaries.multimedia.anime.raw
alt.binaries.multimedia.anime.raws
alt.binaries.multimedia.anime.repost
alt.binaries.multimedia.anime.spanish
alt.binaries.multimedia.erotica.anime
alt.binaries.pictures.anime
alt.binaries.pictures.anime.giant-robo
alt.binaries.pictures.erotic.anime
alt.binaries.pictures.erotica.anime
alt.binaries.pictures.erotica.anime.yaoi
alt.binaries.pictures.erotica.anime.yaoi.hentai-san
alt.binaries.reisbey.anime
alt.binaries.sounds.anime
alt.binaries.tvanime
alt.clubs.club-anime
alt.clubs.club-anime.toronto
alt.fan.italian.anime
alt.fan.italian.anime.dragonball
alt.ita.anime
alt.ita.anime.commercial
alt.ita.anime.info
alt.ita.anime.manga
alt.ita.anime.marketplace
alt.italian.anime-manga
alt.pl.anime.gravitation
alt.sharereactor.anime
aus.arts.anime
bih.alt.anime.binaries
chile.rec.anime
cornell.rec.anime
de.alt.anime
de.alt.comics.anime
esp.binarios.anime
eug.art.anime
fido7.kiev.anime
fido7.pvt.anime.subtitle
fido7.ru.anime
fido7.ru.anime.chainik
fido7.ru.anime.eva
fido7.ru.anime.games
fido7.ru.anime.pokemon
fido7.ru.anime.ranma
fido7.ru.anime.sailor
fido7.ru.anime.shangri.la
fido7.ru.anime.talks
fido7.spb.anime
fidonet.anime
fr.rec.anime
fr.rec.anime.selection
free.it.anime.babbit
free.it.anime.beyblade
free.it.anime.dragonball
free.it.anime.dragonball.goku
free.it.anime.evangelion
free.it.anime.gonagai
free.it.anime.kodocha
free.it.anime.matsumoto
free.it.anime.pokemon
free.it.annunci.manga-anime
free.it.cartoni.anime
gaia.fido.anime
gfido.anime.ger
hr.rec.film.anime
inuyasha.anime.eps
it.arti.cartoni.anime
japan.anime
japan.anime.evangelion
japan.anime.evangelion.asuka
japan.anime.evangelion.ayanami
japan.anime.evangelion.nerv
japan.anime.galaxy-express-999
japan.anime.gundam
japan.anime.pretty
japan.binaries.anime
japan.binaries.pictures.anime
japan.binaries.pictures.erotica.anime
manga-net.pictures.anime
msn.forums.sciencefiction.anime
ncf.sigs.arts.anime
nctu.club.anime
news.groups.arts.anime.fandom
nsysu.anime.adachi
nsysu.anime.animemusic
nsysu.anime.azuki
nsysu.anime.ccsakura
nsysu.anime.goddess
nsysu.anime.jpgame
nsysu.anime.macross
nsysu.anime.sgfc
nsysu.anime.slayers
nsysu.anime.vocal
peru.anime
pl.rec.anime
poly.club.anime
pu.anime
rec.art.anime.marketplace
rec.arts.anime
rec.arts.anime.announce
rec.arts.anime.creative
rec.arts.anime.fandom
rec.arts.anime.games
rec.arts.anime.info
rec.arts.anime.marketpl
rec.arts.anime.marketplace
rec.arts.anime.misc
rec.arts.anime.models
rec.arts.anime.moderated
rec.arts.anime.music
rec.arts.anime.stories
sfnet.harrastus.kulttuuri.anime+manga
ucd.org.anime-club
uiuc.org.anime
uk.media.animation.anime
umbc.org.anime
wi.underground.anime
kami
2024-09-23 17:18:55 UTC
Post by DFS
Post by kami
i am searching but not getting anything.
if you know any hidden anime group, please let me know.
Why are you asking about anime in an OS group?
blocknews carries 158 anime groups.
thanks man, eternal september doesnt carry many of those groups.
but it seems there is no discussion going on, which is sad.