Linux 6.11
Add Reply
vallor
2024-09-19 12:57:30 UTC
$ uname -a
Linux lm 6.11.0 #1 SMP PREEMPT_DYNAMIC Thu Sep 19 04:20:54 PDT 2024 x86_64
x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

real 384.60
user 18007.15
sys 3648.83
--
-v System76 Thelio Mega v1.1 x86_64 NVIDIA RTX 3090 Ti
OS: Linux 6.11.0 Release: Mint 21.3 Mem: 258G
"Is it possible to feel gruntled?"
DFS
There's medication you can take for OCD, you know.
Lawrence D'Oliveiro
2024-09-20 08:28:18 UTC
6.12 will have the last of the PREEMPT_RT patchset integrated.
Cy DeMillion
2024-09-20 13:49:25 UTC
Post by vallor
$ uname -a
Linux lm 6.11.0 #1 SMP PREEMPT_DYNAMIC Thu Sep 19 04:20:54 PDT 2024 x86_64
x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
Good.

Now the next thing that you have to is actually configure the damned
thing rather than just accept the defaults.

Question: What is the size or you final compressed kernel image?

Here is mine (also 6.11):

ls -l /boot
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 3216384 Sep 18 06:26 vmlinuz-611

That's just 3.22 megabytes. Yours must at least 10x.

But this is only a rough comparison because it doesn't include
the modules, but you must build about 100x as many modules as
I do.

Don't forget. Next time CONFIGURE.
vallor
2024-09-21 01:42:52 UTC
Post by Cy DeMillion
Post by vallor
$ uname -a
Linux lm 6.11.0 #1 SMP PREEMPT_DYNAMIC Thu Sep 19 04:20:54 PDT 2024 x86_64
x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
Good.
Now the next thing that you have to is actually configure the damned
thing rather than just accept the defaults.
Hi Larry. :)
Post by Cy DeMillion
Question: What is the size or you final compressed kernel image?
ls -l /boot
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 3216384 Sep 18 06:26 vmlinuz-611
That's just 3.22 megabytes. Yours must at least 10x.
$ ll /boot/vmlinuz-6.11.0
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 10781184 Sep 19 04:31 /boot/vmlinuz-6.11.0

11M. Big woop, I have scads of disk space and memory.
Post by Cy DeMillion
But this is only a rough comparison because it doesn't include
the modules, but you must build about 100x as many modules as
I do.
I build a "kitchen sink" kernel with almost all the modules,
and it takes about 6 minutes.
Post by Cy DeMillion
Don't forget. Next time CONFIGURE.
I "CONFIGURE"d several versions ago. Now I just copy
over my .config, "make oldconfig", and configure new variables
that have been added.
"URA Redneck if you own more TV's than books."
Diego Garcia
2024-09-21 15:27:49 UTC
Post by vallor
11M. Big woop, I have scads of disk space and memory.
Ha, ha, ha, ha!

That summarizes the dominant philosophy of commercial programming
today. If your code is bloated, inefficient, and a memory hog, just add more
memory and crank up the processor. There is no need to waste time, and
money, on silly improvements when hardware is so cheap.

Probably 99% of commercial software is built with this philosophy.

That's why a simple text editor on Microslop Winblows can be 300Mb.

Soon it will be 3 Gb for "Hello World."
Systemd: solving all the problems that you never knew you had.
Diego Garcia
2024-09-21 15:53:10 UTC
Post by Diego Garcia
Probably 99% of commercial software is built with this philosophy.
That's why a simple text editor on Microslop Winblows can be 300Mb.
Let's contrast this with the quintessential Unix editor "cooledit," which
is a total GUI program with extensive features:

ls -l /usr/local/bin/cooledit
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 342400 Sep 25 2021 /usr/local/bin/cooledit

We need also the shared library:

ls -l /usr/local/lib64/libCw.so.1.0.0
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 597768 Sep 25 2021 /usr/local/lib64/libCw.so.1.0.0

So, 342400 + 597768 = 940168

Thus, for only 940 Kbytes on GNU/Linux we have a text editor that surpasses
most, if not all, Microslop text editors that require 300X the code.

Whew! If that's not an indictment of the junk Microslop I don't know what would
be.

Keep in mind that cooledit has syntax highlighting, compiling, debugging, email,
and a LOT of other fundamental stuff built in -- all within less than a megabyte
of code.

That's GNU/Linux power!
vallor
2024-09-21 16:53:09 UTC
Post by Diego Garcia
and a LOT of other fundamental stuff built in -- all within less than a megabyte
of code.
That's GNU/Linux power!
I just looked at Cooledit screen shots, and thought "ugh".

The fonts are fugly, for one.

I just use joe in my terminal window, which has smooth
fonts, as well as syntax highlighting. I won't tolerate
pixelated fonts in any of my programs

$ ll /usr/bin/joe
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 747344 Sep 5 2019 /usr/bin/joe

But I'm not going to play "editor wars". If you like
Cooledit, more power to you.
"Unsolicited advice answers unasked questions"
Lester Thorpe
2024-09-21 17:38:17 UTC
Post by vallor
I just looked at Cooledit screen shots, and thought "ugh".
The fonts are fugly, for one.
You are most likely looking at the obsolete versions of
Cooledit.

The latest version, 4.1.2 is located here:

ftp://ftp.ibiblio.org/pub/Linux/apps/editors/X/cooledit/

There are no screenshots available.

However, the 4.1.2 version uses the Google Notosans fonts
for Unicode coverage. These fonts are not very attractive.

But I have patched the source code to use the Liberation fonts
which are very nice.

Here is the result:

Do you want the patch?

I only provide my outstanding software patches, free of charge,
to worthy individuals.
Systemd: solving all the problems that you never knew you had.
vallor
2024-09-22 16:59:13 UTC
https://i.postimg.cc/t4WRB6WX/cooledit.png
Do you want the patch?
I only provide my outstanding software patches, free of charge,
to worthy individuals.
Keep it. The screenshot shows a font that -- while less
jaggy -- is still jaggy.

(My terminal emulator font is "Liberation Mono Regular"
and looks typeset.)

(BTW, if you were serious about open source, you'd patch
the software to allow one to select the font, then send
a pull request to the author. 'Nuff said?)
"The brain you have reached is out of order at this time."
Lester Thorpe
2024-09-22 17:34:05 UTC
Post by vallor
Keep it. The screenshot shows a font that -- while less
jaggy -- is still jaggy.
(My terminal emulator font is "Liberation Mono Regular"
and looks typeset.)
Jaggy my fucking ass.

Your monitor must be FUBAR cheap Chinese junk.

The fonts are rendered using libfreetype and in cooledit they
are the same quality as in any other application.

On my system Liberation is clear, crisp, and impeccable.

Your system must be total junk, or your eyeballs must be
FUBAR.
Post by vallor
(BTW, if you were serious about open source, you'd patch
the software to allow one to select the font, then send
a pull request to the author. 'Nuff said?)
There are ways to select the font on the command line, as well
as in the configuration file, but to avoid that I patched the code.

I am in contact with Paul Sheer, the author of cooledit, and
he informs me that the next version will include the option
to select the font through a drop-down tool.

One must remember that cooledit, being "ancient" software, is
based only on X libraries but it still does a fantastic job
provided that one knows how to actually use a Unix system.

Also remember: my assessment is worth far, far, far more than
your warped opinions and fucked up perception.

I MANGLE people who dare to doubt my phenomenal expertise.

Cooledit is a GNU/Linux jewel that is worthy only for
for highly competent individuals -- and that is NOT you.

Go slither through shit with the rest of your species.
Systemd: solving all the problems that you never knew you had.
Stéphane CARPENTIER
2024-09-22 19:06:35 UTC
Post by Lester Thorpe
I am in contact with Paul Sheer, the author of cooledit, and
he informs me that the next version will include the option
to select the font through a drop-down tool.
I won't believe that until I see a comment in this way in his github
repo.
Post by Lester Thorpe
I MANGLE people who dare to doubt my phenomenal expertise.
I believe it will take you the rest of your life to be able to mangle
every people who ever crossed your way.
--
Si vous avez du temps à perdre :
https://scarpet42.gitlab.io
Lester Thorpe
2024-09-22 19:51:54 UTC
Post by Stéphane CARPENTIER
I won't believe that until I see a comment in this way in his github
repo.
I don't care what you believe.

You believe that YOU are a sentient being and that alone quashes all
of your ridiculous suppositions.

I communicate directly via email and not through the intermediary of
that shit-junk github.

There is problem with the 4.x.x version of "coolman" which is probably
the best man page viewer ever written.

I have debugged the problem and when I have the time I shall provide
a patch.

What do YOU do?

YOU do nothing except feebly attack your undisputed superiors, such
as myself.
Systemd: solving all the problems that you never knew you had.
DFS
2024-09-22 20:14:50 UTC
Post by Lester Thorpe
There is problem with the 4.x.x version of "coolman" which is probably
the best man page viewer ever written.
"DESCRIPTION
This man page reader just views the output of the man system command,
with a nice point and click, drag and drop, GUI."

https://www.linuxcertif.com/man/1//coolman/

I'm so shocked that you're actually a faggot hypocrite GUI-pussy.
Lawrence D'Oliveiro
2024-09-22 23:25:13 UTC
"DESCRIPTION This man page reader just views the output of the man
system command, with a nice point and click, drag and drop, GUI."
KDE Konqueror already does that. And info pages as well. Besides being a
web browser, it’s also a file manager. And possibly some other things I
can’t remember off the top of my head right now.

Yup, it’s a floor wax AND a dessert topping!
DFS
2024-09-23 03:55:43 UTC
Post by Lawrence D'Oliveiro
"DESCRIPTION This man page reader just views the output of the man
system command, with a nice point and click, drag and drop, GUI."
KDE Konqueror already does that. And info pages as well. Besides being a
web browser, it’s also a file manager. And possibly some other things I
can’t remember off the top of my head right now.
Yup, it’s a floor wax AND a dessert topping!
KIO plugins or some such?

I checked my archives, and Konqueror at one point integrated a web
browser, a file browser, a document viewer, a program launcher, a shell
command executor, an image gallery creator, and a spell-checker.

Total violation of the "Unix philosophy" but Linux victims ate it up.
Joel
2024-09-23 04:42:18 UTC
Post by DFS
Post by Lawrence D'Oliveiro
"DESCRIPTION This man page reader just views the output of the man
system command, with a nice point and click, drag and drop, GUI."
KDE Konqueror already does that. And info pages as well. Besides being a
web browser, it’s also a file manager. And possibly some other things I
can’t remember off the top of my head right now.
Yup, it’s a floor wax AND a dessert topping!
KIO plugins or some such?
I checked my archives, and Konqueror at one point integrated a web
browser, a file browser, a document viewer, a program launcher, a shell
command executor, an image gallery creator, and a spell-checker.
Total violation of the "Unix philosophy" but Linux victims ate it up.
You do realize that running Linux can be anything one wants it to be,
basically? You can boot it without a GUI at all, not that this would
be useful on a modern desktop. Even Larry's lame OS installation has
a basic X Window setup, although painfully void of useful features
that he thinks he doesn't really need, even as he buys server
processors for his builds. But also uses a spinning hard drive and
not a solid state drive.

Incredible, to me, although it figures a person like that would be in
this newsgroup, but the way he is trying to lord his supposed skill
over distro users is even stupider than hating Apple/MS users because
of their support of, appreciation for, and/or usage online of, their
proprietary OSes, no this goes to condemning fellow Linux advocates,
calling them unspeakable things, psychosis flowing into public view
via text. Larry is a creep.
--
Joel W. Crump

But then again, people think I am.
DFS
2024-09-24 14:28:47 UTC
Post by Joel
Post by DFS
Post by Lawrence D'Oliveiro
"DESCRIPTION This man page reader just views the output of the man
system command, with a nice point and click, drag and drop, GUI."
KDE Konqueror already does that. And info pages as well. Besides being a
web browser, it’s also a file manager. And possibly some other things I
can’t remember off the top of my head right now.
Yup, it’s a floor wax AND a dessert topping!
KIO plugins or some such?
I checked my archives, and Konqueror at one point integrated a web
browser, a file browser, a document viewer, a program launcher, a shell
command executor, an image gallery creator, and a spell-checker.
Total violation of the "Unix philosophy" but Linux victims ate it up.
You do realize that running Linux can be anything one wants it to be,
basically?
You can even make it invisible, like I do.

But seriously, lately I use Linux (Ubuntu WSL) to download computer
science college course materials using wget.
Post by Joel
You can boot it without a GUI at all, not that this would
be useful on a modern desktop.
Feeb is very insecure. He equates masculinity with the command line,
but he's not the first Linux 'advocate' to do so. In the past Homer was
proud of his rxvt terminal usage; he called it 'pure computing'.

It's silly.
Post by Joel
Even Larry's lame OS installation has
a basic X Window setup, although painfully void of useful features
that he thinks he doesn't really need, even as he buys server
processors for his builds. But also uses a spinning hard drive and
not a solid state drive.
I use 3 drives:
OS and boot: internal 256GB NVMe
data : internal 2TB SSD
backup : external 2TB HDD (small form factor)
Post by Joel
Incredible, to me, although it figures a person like that would be in
this newsgroup, but the way he is trying to lord his supposed skill
over distro users is even stupider than hating Apple/MS users because
of their support of, appreciation for, and/or usage online of, their
proprietary OSes, no this goes to condemning fellow Linux advocates,
calling them unspeakable things, psychosis flowing into public view
via text. Larry is a creep.
You got it.

As I've said before: Linux, loneliness and testosterone is a bad mix.
Lawrence D'Oliveiro
2024-09-24 21:21:50 UTC
Post by DFS
But seriously, lately I use Linux (Ubuntu WSL) to download computer
science college course materials using wget.
Doesn’t Dimdows PowerShell have a built-in “wget” command? I hear it
almost works, too.

<http://www.theregister.co.uk/2016/08/23/your_wget_is_broken_and_should_die_powershellers_tell_microsoft/>
DFS
2024-09-24 23:01:58 UTC
Post by Lawrence D'Oliveiro
Post by DFS
But seriously, lately I use Linux (Ubuntu WSL) to download computer
science college course materials using wget.
Doesn’t Dimdows PowerShell have a built-in “wget” command? I hear it
almost works, too.
<http://www.theregister.co.uk/2016/08/23/your_wget_is_broken_and_should_die_powershellers_tell_microsoft/>
PowerShell wget is an alias to Invoke-WebRequest. In my quick testing,
using wget in PowerShell was a hassle.

In WSL, on the other hand:

$ sudo apt install wget
$ mkdir Cornell
$ cd Cornell
$ mkdir ECE3150 (optional)
$ cd ECE3150 (optional)
$ wget -r -np https://courses.cit.cornell.edu/ece315/

Total time to install wget, make 2 folders, and download the entire
website - 79 files - was well under 2 minutes.

Nice! wget is great. The AUTHORS file lists 311 contributors!

There's a wget binary for Windows, last updated in 2009. I just tried
it using the same command and it worked OK, but pulled down a little
more than the 79 files. It got one file each from 5 other courses on
that domain.
Chris Ahlstrom
2024-09-25 11:20:32 UTC
Post by Lawrence D'Oliveiro
Post by DFS
But seriously, lately I use Linux (Ubuntu WSL) to download computer
science college course materials using wget.
Doesn’t Dimdows PowerShell have a built-in “wget” command? I hear it
almost works, too.
<http://www.theregister.co.uk/2016/08/23/your_wget_is_broken_and_should_die_powershellers_tell_microsoft/>
Git Bash is nice. Or was nice, when I had to use Windows.
--
But it's real. And if it's real it can be affected ... we may not be able
to break it, but, I'll bet you credits to Navy Beans we can put a dent in it.
-- deSalle, "Catspaw", stardate 3018.2
candycanearter07
2024-09-25 18:50:03 UTC
Post by Chris Ahlstrom
Post by Lawrence D'Oliveiro
Post by DFS
But seriously, lately I use Linux (Ubuntu WSL) to download computer
science college course materials using wget.
Doesn’t Dimdows PowerShell have a built-in “wget” command? I hear it
almost works, too.
<http://www.theregister.co.uk/2016/08/23/your_wget_is_broken_and_should_die_powershellers_tell_microsoft/>
Git Bash is nice. Or was nice, when I had to use Windows.
It's good to provide a basic terminal, but it doesn't feel as nice imo
Chris Ahlstrom
2024-09-25 20:09:32 UTC
Post by candycanearter07
Post by Chris Ahlstrom
Post by Lawrence D'Oliveiro
Post by DFS
But seriously, lately I use Linux (Ubuntu WSL) to download computer
science college course materials using wget.
Doesn’t Dimdows PowerShell have a built-in “wget” command? I hear it
almost works, too.
<http://www.theregister.co.uk/2016/08/23/your_wget_is_broken_and_should_die_powershellers_tell_microsoft/>
Git Bash is nice. Or was nice, when I had to use Windows.
It's good to provide a basic terminal, but it doesn't feel as nice imo
Git Bash also provides a number of useful "unix" commands.

You could always go for MSYS/MSYS2.

Anyway, I don't have to care about running unixy tools on Windows anymore!

Hurrah! Huzzah!
Things worth having are worth cheating for.
candycanearter07
2024-09-26 00:10:06 UTC
Post by Chris Ahlstrom
Post by candycanearter07
Post by Chris Ahlstrom
Post by Lawrence D'Oliveiro
Post by DFS
But seriously, lately I use Linux (Ubuntu WSL) to download computer
science college course materials using wget.
Doesn’t Dimdows PowerShell have a built-in “wget” command? I hear it
almost works, too.
<http://www.theregister.co.uk/2016/08/23/your_wget_is_broken_and_should_die_powershellers_tell_microsoft/>
Git Bash is nice. Or was nice, when I had to use Windows.
It's good to provide a basic terminal, but it doesn't feel as nice imo
Git Bash also provides a number of useful "unix" commands.
You could always go for MSYS/MSYS2.
Anyway, I don't have to care about running unixy tools on Windows anymore!
Hurrah! Huzzah!
Me neither bc I run Linux full time, but it's still nice to have the
option.
Joel
2024-09-26 01:02:51 UTC
Post by candycanearter07
I run Linux full time
Not doing that is allowing M$ to eat one's computer. And yet it's
Linux that's free of cost. So bizarre.
--
Joel W. Crump

Amendment XIV
Section 1.

[...] No state shall make or enforce any law which shall
abridge the privileges or immunities of citizens of the
United States; nor shall any state deprive any person of
life, liberty, or property, without due process of law;
nor deny to any person within its jurisdiction the equal
protection of the laws.

Dobbs rewrites this, it is invalid precedent. States are
liable for denying needed abortions, e.g. TX.
rbowman
2024-09-26 01:17:03 UTC
Post by Chris Ahlstrom
Anyway, I don't have to care about running unixy tools on Windows anymore!
I'd have to find the link but there is a package of Linux tools that are
compiled natively and don't need Msys or Cygwin that I always install on a
Windows box. The tools are limited but at least I can type 'ls' without
getting a blank look. All there years and I haven't figured out 'dir'.
Stéphane CARPENTIER
2024-09-28 09:04:37 UTC
Post by candycanearter07
Post by Chris Ahlstrom
Git Bash is nice. Or was nice, when I had to use Windows.
It's good to provide a basic terminal, but it doesn't feel as nice imo
In fact, I needed to use git bash at work a few years ago and I was
impressed. As a terminal, it's very limited. But as a bash it's really
impressive.
--
Si vous avez du temps à perdre :
https://scarpet42.gitlab.io
Joel

rbowman
2024-09-23 06:14:39 UTC
Post by DFS
I checked my archives, and Konqueror at one point integrated a web
browser, a file browser, a document viewer, a program launcher, a shell
command executor, an image gallery creator, and a spell-checker.
Dolphin replaced Konqueror as the file browser in KDE. Konqueror is not
part of the default Fedora KDE spin installation although you can install
it if you wish. I seldom used it when it was installed so I didn't bother.
Unless it has really improved in the last 10 years it wasn't very good as
a web browser.
Lawrence D'Oliveiro
2024-09-24 00:29:23 UTC
Post by rbowman
Dolphin replaced Konqueror as the file browser in KDE.
Actually, Konqueror still has all the functions it always had.
Post by rbowman
Unless it has really improved in the last 10 years it wasn't very good
as a web browser.
Funny that its HTML-rendering engine, KHTML, was the basis on which Apple
built WebKit, on which Google in turn built Blink. You know, the family of
HTML renderers that every browser in the world right now seems to use,
apart from Firefox and its offshoots.
rbowman
2024-09-24 02:39:33 UTC
Post by Lawrence D'Oliveiro
Funny that its HTML-rendering engine, KHTML, was the basis on which
Apple built WebKit, on which Google in turn built Blink. You know, the
family of HTML renderers that every browser in the world right now seems
to use, apart from Firefox and its offshoots
Development on KHTML stopped 8 years ago and it was officially buried last
year. Apple forked KHTML 20 years ago to get WebKit. Google improved
WebKit before forking Blink 11 years ago. WebKit is still a problem since
any browser ported to iOS has to use it.

You could say the AC Cobra 427 was a fork of the AC Ace, a pleasant but
not particularly rapid British sports car before Shelby got his hands on
one.
Lawrence D'Oliveiro
2024-09-24 21:24:05 UTC
Post by rbowman
You could say the AC Cobra 427 was a fork of the AC Ace, a pleasant but
not particularly rapid British sports car before Shelby got his hands
on one.
Was Shelby actually an USian? It’s just you don’t normally hear of USian
cars that are fast, not just in a straight line, but around corners as
well ...
rbowman
2024-09-24 23:11:07 UTC
Post by Lawrence D'Oliveiro
Post by rbowman
You could say the AC Cobra 427 was a fork of the AC Ace, a pleasant but
not particularly rapid British sports car before Shelby got his hands
on one.
Was Shelby actually an USian? It’s just you don’t normally hear of USian
cars that are fast, not just in a straight line, but around corners as
well ...
Better yet he was a Texian. Ford eventually built them themselves but he
worked his magic on the Mustang with the GT350 and GT500 and also haqd
some input into the Dodge Viper.
DFS
Make sure you do a haka each day before battling your Guhnoo crapbox.
vallor
2024-09-24 02:59:49 UTC
Post by rbowman
Unless it has really improved in the last 10 years it wasn't very good
as a web browser.
Funny that its HTML-rendering engine, KHTML, was the basis on which Apple
built WebKit, on which Google in turn built Blink. You know, the family of
HTML renderers that every browser in the world right now seems to use,
apart from Firefox and its offshoots.
So does Konqueror use Blink now?
"And on the 8th day, God created cats...."
rbowman
2024-09-24 03:38:37 UTC
Post by vallor
So does Konqueror use Blink now?
https://userbase.kde.org/Konqueror#KHTML_vs._Webkit

"This page was last edited on 16 March 2013, at 07:44."

The Arora link throws a server error and the Rekonq page is marked for
deletion since rekonq is no longer being developed.

https://cubiclenate.com/2018/12/05/konqueror-is-still-awesome/

That's a little newer but damns with faint praise.

"Admittedly, I tend to use Dolphin and Falkon more frequently than
Konqueror. Dolphin for the side pane functionality and Falkon tends to to
a better job of rendering pages than Konqueror. When it comes to serious
file management, where I really need to dig in and do some heavy [file
management] lifting, Konqueror still reigns supreme."

That's a fast history lesson. Horror of hooros he dead names the WebKit
developer but apologizes.
Lawrence D'Oliveiro
2024-09-24 00:27:42 UTC
Total violation of the "Unix philosophy" ...
Says a victim of a proprietary, opaque system that wouldn’t know
“philosophy” if it bit you on the bum.
Joel
2024-09-24 00:41:19 UTC
Post by Lawrence D'Oliveiro
Total violation of the "Unix philosophy" ...
Says a victim of a proprietary, opaque system that wouldn’t know
“philosophy” if it bit you on the bum.
He judges Linux harshly but defends M$'s abusive OS. Just
dumbfoundingly ass-backward.

vallor
2024-09-23 04:37:12 UTC
On Sun, 22 Sep 2024 23:25:13 -0000 (UTC), Lawrence D'Oliveiro
Post by Lawrence D'Oliveiro
"DESCRIPTION This man page reader just views the output of the man
system command, with a nice point and click, drag and drop, GUI."
KDE Konqueror already does that. And info pages as well. Besides being a
web browser, it’s also a file manager. And possibly some other things I
can’t remember off the top of my head right now.
Yup, it’s a floor wax AND a dessert topping!
I've grown partial to groffer(1) when I want to view
typeset man pages.

Nothing like a Unix system for typesetting. I've set up
a system with groff -mom macros for the book I've avoided
writing, which will be a memoir of 1991-1998: how
our company got off the ground, with the focus on
Linux.
""Build a watch in 179 easy steps" by C. Forsberg."
Lawrence D'Oliveiro
2024-09-24 00:26:59 UTC
Post by vallor
Nothing like a Unix system for typesetting.
Funny that, considering that typesetting was the important use case that
got Bell Labs to agree to fund the effort that became Unix.
Lester Thorpe
2024-09-24 18:40:10 UTC
Post by vallor
Nothing like a Unix system for typesetting. I've set up
a system with groff -mom macros for the book I've avoided
writing, which will be a memoir of 1991-1998: how
our company got off the ground, with the focus on
Linux.
Ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha! This idiot thinks that he is another
Steve Jobs.

Your "company."

Your company is not INNOVATIVE; it is merely IMITATIVE --
just like countless other similar companies.

So why the idea of a fucking book?

The answer is that you are a pompous, arrogant idiot
with delusions of grandeur.

You are correct, however (intelligence notwithstanding),
about Linux/Unix being superior for typesetting.

I use FOSS LaTex for mathematical typesetting and it
is superb.

Yes, FOSS is great.

But YOU are an idiot.
Systemd: solving all the problems that you never knew you had.
Joel
2024-09-24 20:02:19 UTC
Post by Lester Thorpe
But YOU are an idiot.
Vallor has far more intelligence than you, dude.

Stéphane CARPENTIER
2024-09-22 21:06:15 UTC
Post by Lester Thorpe
Post by Stéphane CARPENTIER
I won't believe that until I see a comment in this way in his github
repo.
I don't care what you believe.
In fact, you do because you said in the part of your message you removed
that you mangle every one who doubt you. So, I doubt you and you want to
mangle me because you care.
Post by Lester Thorpe
You believe that YOU are a sentient being and that alone quashes all
of your ridiculous suppositions.
That's a good one. Thanks for the laugh.
Post by Lester Thorpe
I communicate directly via email and not through the intermediary of
that shit-junk github.
I knew you don't know how git is working. I'm not speaking about github,
which I agree to say it's normal to refuse to use it, but about git
itself, which is good.

So I said only about a comment on his github repo. Meaning that if he
ever includes you code, which I'm pretty sure doesn't exist, he wouldn't
make believe the code is his but he would credit you about it. It's the
purpose of a comment.
Post by Lester Thorpe
There is problem with the 4.x.x version of "coolman" which is probably
the best man page viewer ever written.
It's a GUI text editor. It can't compete with vim or Emacs. You should
be aware of your limitations when you criticise the GUI and defend GUI
text editors at the same time. There is no need of a GUI to edit some
text. If you are in need for it, you show your limitations.
Post by Lester Thorpe
I have debugged the problem and when I have the time I shall provide
a patch.
As I said: I'm waiting for a comment on his github repo before believing
it.
Post by Lester Thorpe
What do YOU do?
Don't change the subject. You are speaking about yourself. What I do is
irrelevant to believing in your claims.
Post by Lester Thorpe
YOU do nothing except feebly attack your undisputed superiors, such
as myself.
I don't attack undisputed superiors. I'm attacking your claims. Which is
different. I'm not really attacking you, but the difference between you
and your claims can be tricky to understand for a lunatic living in an
asylum.

And, as we both know, by "undisputed superiors" you speak about you, who
are more of a joke than of a human being, I have to tell you: you never
provided any hint about your superiority on me in any subject. Your are
probably the only human being in the all universe to be inferior to me.
Every one on earth can do things I can't do and I can do things that the
others can't. There is no one thing I'm the only one in the world able
to do, mind you, the things others can't do depend on the others. Except
for you: the more I read you, the more I believe you are the only one
unable to do anything I can do. And, I believe, I can do ten times better
than you anything you can do. You are a wonder in this way. You can't be
real. Either you are a bot or you are faking your stupidity, which is
beyond imagination, I have still no explanation.
--
Si vous avez du temps à perdre :
https://scarpet42.gitlab.io
Cy DeMillion
2024-09-22 21:44:14 UTC
Post by Lester Thorpe
What do YOU do?
Don't change the subject. You are speaking about yourself. What I do is
irrelevant to believing in your claims.
Incorrect.

The spirit of FOSS demands that users contribute in every way in which
they are able. That could be patches, bug reports, comments, etc.

But YOU do not contribute. You are just a selfish user with a big,
fat, useless mouth.

FOSS does not need YOU, but if does need ME.
vallor
2024-09-22 22:43:25 UTC
Post by Lester Thorpe
What do YOU do?
Don't change the subject. You are speaking about yourself. What I do is
irrelevant to believing in your claims.
Incorrect.
The spirit of FOSS demands that users contribute in every way in which
they are able. That could be patches, bug reports, comments, etc.
But YOU do not contribute. You are just a selfish user with a big, fat,
useless mouth.
FOSS does not need YOU, but if does need ME.
Your nym-shifting to stay out of killfiles is getting
old.
%
who is , " if " and why does , " if " need him
vallor
2024-09-22 23:20:56 UTC
Post by Lester Thorpe
What do YOU do?
Don't change the subject. You are speaking about yourself. What I do
is irrelevant to believing in your claims.
Incorrect.
The spirit of FOSS demands that users contribute in every way in which
they are able. That could be patches, bug reports, comments, etc.
But YOU do not contribute. You are just a selfish user with a big, fat,
useless mouth.
FOSS does not need YOU, but if does need ME.
Your nym-shifting to stay out of killfiles is getting old.
who is , " if " and why does , " if " need him
It's a sign of his imperfect command of the keyboard.
DFS
2024-09-23 00:01:17 UTC
Post by Lester Thorpe
What do YOU do?
Don't change the subject. You are speaking about yourself. What I do is
irrelevant to believing in your claims.
Incorrect.
The spirit of FOSS demands that users contribute in every way in which
they are able. That could be patches, bug reports, comments, etc.
Other side of your piehole:

NOBODY needs a talentless, angry, incel, Linux Configurator King like you.
Stéphane CARPENTIER
2024-09-28 08:57:25 UTC
Post by Lester Thorpe
What do YOU do?
Don't change the subject. You are speaking about yourself. What I do is
irrelevant to believing in your claims.
Incorrect.
Certainly not. You claim you contribute to cooledit project. As long as
I don't see any comment on it's github project from the author, I won't
believe it. Your contribution to this project isn't related with my
contribution to FOSS.
Post by Cy DeMillion
The spirit of FOSS demands that users contribute in every way in which
they are able. That could be patches, bug reports, comments, etc.
There is nut such a thing as a spirit of FOSS. There are people using,
promoting, contributing, whatever, FOSS projects. And there are as
many spirits as there are people.
Post by Cy DeMillion
But YOU do not contribute.
Once again, you are speaking on your contributions, which are not
related with my contributions.
Post by Cy DeMillion
You are just a selfish user with a big, fat, useless mouth.
You knows nothing about me, but whatever I am, it doesn't change what
you do and what you claim.
Post by Cy DeMillion
FOSS does not need YOU,
So, you mean it's a good thing if I don't contribute as your claims? So
everything about me and what I do is perfect from your perspective and
you can return to the subject of your claims?
Post by Cy DeMillion
but if does need ME.
As a developer, FOSS needs you as far away as possible as any FOSS
project. As you are unable to produce any line of code, FOSS projects
certainly don't need any not understood copy/paste code from questions
on stack overflow you can provide without correction.

And for the promotion part, as you only give arguments to DFS to
criticize the FOSS users/projects, you should stop. It would be the best
thing you could do for FOSS project. It would be less fun from my point
of view but it would be better for FOSS. You see? I'm not that selfish,
I can accept to have less fun if it's good for FOSS.
--
Si vous avez du temps à perdre :
https://scarpet42.gitlab.io
Relf
He's Detroit's finest.
DFS
2024-09-22 19:53:29 UTC
Post by Lester Thorpe
I am in contact with Paul Sheer, the author of cooledit,
Ask him if he still spies on cooledit users.

<quote>
STATISTICS OF COOLEDIT USAGE
Cooledit mailed me when it first ran on the following machines.

There were a total of 22524 unique addresses as of September 2000.

AUTHORS
Paul Sheer (psheer /AT/ icon.co.za)

</quote>

http://swoolley.org/man.cgi/1/cooledit
DFS
2024-09-22 20:08:00 UTC
Post by DFS
Post by Lester Thorpe
I am in contact with Paul Sheer, the author of cooledit,
Ask him if he still spies on cooledit users.
<quote>
STATISTICS OF COOLEDIT USAGE
Cooledit mailed me when it first ran on the following machines.
There  were  a total of 22524 unique addresses as of September 2000.
AUTHORS
Paul Sheer (psheer /AT/ icon.co.za)
</quote>
http://swoolley.org/man.cgi/1/cooledit
dead link, but the same info is here:

https://www.linuxcertif.com/man/1/cooledit/

"STATISTICS OF COOLEDIT USAGE
Cooledit mailed me when it first ran on the following machines.
unknown 84
alpha-debian-linux-gnu 4
alpha-dec-osf2.1 1
alpha-dec-osf3.2 12
alpha-dec-osf4.0 13
alpha-dec-osf4.0b 2
alpha-dec-osf4.0d 5
alpha-dec-osf4.0f 3
alpha-unknown-linux 62
alpha-unknown-linux-gnu 28
alpha-unknown-none 2
alphaev5-dec-osf4.0a 1
alphaev5-dec-osf4.0b 3
alphaev5-dec-osf4.0d 8
alphaev5-unknown-linux-gnu 2
alphaev5-unknown-linux-gnulibc1 6
alphaev56-dec-osf4.0b 4
alphaev56-dec-osf4.0d 14
alphaev56-dec-osf4.0e 2
alphaev56-dec-osf5.0 2
alphaev56-unknown-linux-gnu 8
arm-linux-elf 1
arm-unknown-linux-gnu 1
arm-unknown-linux-gnuelf 7
armv4l-unknown-linux-gnu 2
hppa1.0-hp-hpux10.20 5
hppa1.0-hp-hpux11.00 1
hppa1.1-hp-hpux10.01 3
hppa1.1-hp-hpux10.10 39
hppa1.1-hp-hpux10.20 350
hppa1.1-hp-hpux11.00 5
hppa1.1-hp-hpux8.07 1
hppa1.1-hp-hpux9.01 3
hppa1.1-hp-hpux9.03 10
hppa1.1-hp-hpux9.05 8
hppa1.1-hp-hpux9.07 1
hppa2.0-hp-hpux10.20 4
hppa2.0n-hp-hpux11.00 11
hppa2.0w-hp-hpux11.00 7
i386-gnu-linux-gnu 1
i386-pc-bsdi3.1 1
i386-pc-bsdi4.0 2
i386-pc-linux-gnu 1
i386-pc-sco3.2v5.0.5 1
i386-pc-solaris2.6 3
i386-pc-solaris2.7 9
i386-unknown-bsdi2.1 3
i386-unknown-bsdi3.0 1
i386-unknown-freebsd2.1.5 1
i386-unknown-freebsd2.1.6 4
i386-unknown-freebsd2.1.7 1
i386-unknown-freebsd2.2 4
i386-unknown-freebsd2.2.2 4
i386-unknown-freebsd2.2.5 16
i386-unknown-freebsd2.2.6 9
i386-unknown-freebsd2.2.7 14
i386-unknown-freebsd2.2.8 1
i386-unknown-freebsd3.0 10
i386-unknown-freebsd3.1 13
i386-unknown-freebsd4.0 2
i386-unknown-freebsdelf3.0 1
i386-unknown-freebsdelf3.1 3
i386-unknown-freebsdelf3.2 7
i386-unknown-freebsdelf3.3 7
i386-unknown-freebsdelf3.4 5
i386-unknown-freebsdelf4.0 15
i386-unknown-linux 11
i386-unknown-netbsd1.1 1
i386-unknown-netbsd1.3.2 2
i386-unknown-netbsd1.4 1
i386-unknown-netbsd1.4.1 1
i386-unknown-netbsd1.4I 1
i386-unknown-netbsd1.4K 1
i386-unknown-none 4
i386-unknown-openbsd2.3 1
i386-unknown-openbsd2.4 2
i386-unknown-openbsd2.5 6
i386-unknown-openbsd2.6 4
i386-unknown-solaris2.5.1 5
i386-unknown-solaris2.6 2
i486-ibm-linux 1
i486-pc-linux-gnu 84
i486-pc-linux-gnulibc1 95
i486-pc-linux-gnuoldld 1
i486-unknown-linux 1522
i486-unknown-linuxaout 6
i486-unknown-linuxoldld 1
i486-unknown-none 2
i486-unknown-solaris2.5.1 1
i586-intel-linux 4
i586-intel-none 4
i586-k6-linux-gnu 2
i586-mandrake-linux-gnu 90
i586-pc-linux-gnu 2792
i586-pc-linux-gnuaout 1
i586-pc-linux-gnucoff 1
i586-pc-linux-gnulibc1 732
i586-pc-none 1
i586-pc-sco3.2v5.0.2 1
i586-redhat-linux 1
i586-unknown-linux 2844
i586-unknown-linuxaout 5
i586-unknown-none 12
i586-unknown-sco3.2v4.2 1
i586-unknown-sco3.2v5.0.2 1
i686-pc-linux-gnu 14457
i686-pc-linux-gnulibc1 867
i686-pc-none 1
i686-redhat-linux-gnu 1
i686-tech-linux-gnu 1
i686-unknown-linux 6
i686-unknown-linux-gnu 3
m68k-apple-netbsd1.3.3 1
m68k-unknown-linux-gnu 2
mips-dec-ultrix4.3 1
mips-sgi-irix5.3 36
mips-sgi-irix6.2 33
mips-sgi-irix6.3 13
mips-sgi-irix6.4 2
mips-sgi-irix6.5 22
mips-sni-sysv4 3
mips-unknown-linux 2
powerpc-ibm-aix3.2.5 2
powerpc-ibm-aix4.1.4.0 3
powerpc-ibm-aix4.1.5.0 5
powerpc-ibm-aix4.2.1.0 16
powerpc-ibm-aix4.3.1.0 1
powerpc-ibm-aix4.3.2.0 2
powerpc-ibm-aix4.3.3.0 1
powerpc-unknown-linux 1
powerpc-unknown-linux-gnu 2
rs6000-ibm-aix4.1.4.0 3
rs6000-ibm-aix4.2.0.0 1
sparc-mandrake-linux-gnu 1
sparc-sun-solaris2.4 20
sparc-sun-solaris2.5 63
sparc-sun-solaris2.5.1 200
sparc-sun-solaris2.6 224
sparc-sun-solaris2.7 46
sparc-sun-solaris2.8 1
sparc-sun-sunos4.1.3 2
sparc-sun-sunos4.1.3_U1 6
sparc-sun-sunos4.1.4 8
sparc-unknown-linux 3
sparc-unknown-linux-gnu 16
sparc64-unknown-linux-gnu 3

There were a total of 22524 unique addresses as of September 2000. I
don't know if it completely worked on these machines, but it certainly
compiled and ran. I also don't know if the user's had to make
modifications to get it to compile."
Lawrence D'Oliveiro
2024-09-22 23:30:48 UTC
Post by DFS
https://www.linuxcertif.com/man/1/cooledit/
alpha-unknown-linux 62
alpha-unknown-linux-gnu 28
hppa1.1-hp-hpux10.10 39
hppa1.1-hp-hpux10.20 350
i486-unknown-linux 1522
i686-pc-linux-gnu 14457
i686-pc-linux-gnulibc1 867
mips-sgi-irix5.3 36
mips-sgi-irix6.2 33
mips-sgi-irix6.3 13
mips-sgi-irix6.5 22
sparc-sun-solaris2.5.1 200
sparc-sun-solaris2.6 224
Gee, I wonder if any Dimdows software can claim that kind of cross-
platform support ...
DFS
2024-09-23 04:01:46 UTC
Post by Lawrence D'Oliveiro
Post by DFS
https://www.linuxcertif.com/man/1/cooledit/
alpha-unknown-linux 62
alpha-unknown-linux-gnu 28
hppa1.1-hp-hpux10.10 39
hppa1.1-hp-hpux10.20 350
i486-unknown-linux 1522
i686-pc-linux-gnu 14457
i686-pc-linux-gnulibc1 867
mips-sgi-irix5.3 36
mips-sgi-irix6.2 33
mips-sgi-irix6.3 13
mips-sgi-irix6.5 22
sparc-sun-solaris2.5.1 200
sparc-sun-solaris2.6 224
Gee, I wonder if any Dimdows software can claim that kind of cross-
platform support ...
GuhNoo/Linux tagline: "The Software Nobody Wants Running On The Hardware
Nobody Wants"

WinTel ruled then and it rulez now.
Lawrence D'Oliveiro
2024-09-24 00:30:57 UTC
Post by DFS
Post by Lawrence D'Oliveiro
Gee, I wonder if any Dimdows software can claim that kind of cross-
platform support ...
GuhNoo/Linux tagline: "The Software Nobody Wants Running On The Hardware
Nobody Wants"
Just count up those numbers ... that’s a lot of “nobodies” ...

Sour grapes, because at one time Microsoft tried to run Windows NT on
those platforms, and failed.
chrisv
2024-09-24 12:09:05 UTC
Post by DFS
Post by Lawrence D'Oliveiro
Gee, I wonder if any Dimdows software can claim that kind of cross-
platform support ...
GuhNoo/Linux tagline: "The Software Nobody Wants Running On The Hardware
Nobody Wants"
Just count up those numbers ... that’s a lot of “nobodies” ...
That dumb fsck lives in an upside-down world. Nobody wants the
world's most popular kernel, there. FOSS doesn't massively benefit
everyone, there.
Sour grapes, because at one time Microsoft tried to run Windows NT on
those platforms, and failed.
Only FOSS has the efficiency required to support all those platforms.
--
"FOSS isn't real competition. Anything given away is not competing
with a for-sale product." - DumFSck, lying shamelessly
DFS
2024-09-25 05:35:51 UTC
Post by chrisv
Post by Lawrence D'Oliveiro
Post by Lawrence D'Oliveiro
Sour grapes, because at one time Microsoft tried to run Windows NT on
those platforms, and failed.
Only FOSS has the efficiency required to support all those platforms.
What software and hardware are you running during the day? Evenings and
weekends?

crickets... you WANT to reply so bad you can taste it, but it would blow
your lie that you have me "killfiled on day one".
vallor
2024-09-22 20:29:41 UTC
Post by Lester Thorpe
Keep it. The screenshot shows a font that -- while less jaggy -- is
still jaggy.
(My terminal emulator font is "Liberation Mono Regular" and looks
typeset.)
Jaggy my fucking ass.
Okay, so your fucking ass is jaggy too.
Post by Lester Thorpe
Your monitor must be FUBAR cheap Chinese junk.
No, it's not.
Post by Lester Thorpe
The fonts are rendered using libfreetype and in cooledit they are the
same quality as in any other application.
Then why are they jaggy?
Post by Lester Thorpe
On my system Liberation is clear, crisp, and impeccable.
I can't help it if you have no discernment.

https://imgur.com/bAiSkLe

That's what it should look like, not what you posted.
Post by Lester Thorpe
Your system must be total junk, or your eyeballs must be FUBAR.
Your screenshot shows _less_ jaggies than the original screenshot
I saw, but yelling and shaking your fist at the clouds won't
change the sub-optimal anti-aliasing in the screenshot you posted.
Post by Lester Thorpe
Also remember: my assessment is worth far, far, far more than your
warped opinions and fucked up perception.
Everybody can see the flaws in your screenshot. You aren't
fooling anybody.

BTW, if I were a suspicious person, I'd think you tried
to blur the screenshot to make the font look less jaggy.
Again, you're fooling nobody.
Post by Lester Thorpe
I MANGLE people who dare to doubt my phenomenal expertise.
The only thing you mangle is your font.
"Obiwankenobiphobia: Fear of Jedi Masters"
%
and the upper area of his pants
Stéphane CARPENTIER
2024-09-22 21:13:01 UTC
Post by vallor
BTW, if I were a suspicious person, I'd think you tried
to blur the screenshot to make the font look less jaggy.
You miss something. You not only need to be suspicious, but you would
need to grant him some technical abilities at the same time. So, the
case is closed: he didn't fake anything because he can't.
--
Si vous avez du temps à perdre :
https://scarpet42.gitlab.io
Lester Thorpe
2024-09-22 21:24:44 UTC
Post by vallor
Post by Lester Thorpe
Jaggy my fucking ass.
Okay, so your fucking ass is jaggy too.
Ha. Ha. Ha.

Your failure at wittiness is only exceeded by your stupidity
regarding GNU/Linux.

Get the fuck outa here!

Cooledit is the choice all GNU/Linux aficionados.
Systemd: solving all the problems that you never knew you had.
Stéphane CARPENTIER
2024-09-28 08:41:00 UTC
Post by Lester Thorpe
Cooledit is the choice all GNU/Linux aficionados.
Nope. Vim and Emacs are the first choices. By far.
--
Si vous avez du temps à perdre :
https://scarpet42.gitlab.io
DFS
2024-09-23 04:06:18 UTC
Post by vallor
https://imgur.com/bAiSkLe
Those are darn sharp, even when enlarged. Feeb's look OK, but not
like yours.

What monitor are you rocking?
vallor
2024-09-23 04:20:24 UTC
Post by DFS
Post by vallor
https://imgur.com/bAiSkLe
Those are darn sharp, even when enlarged. Feeb's look OK, but not
like yours.
What monitor are you rocking?
ASUS ROG PG42UQ 41.5 inch Gaming Monitor | 3840 x 2160 | 138Hz | 0.1ms |
True 10 bit

But the monitor doesn't affect the font, just makes it easier
to see the flaws.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0BBSV1LK5/

Splurged on it back in May -- almost decided on a curved display,
but ultimately that was too far-out for my tastes.
Joel
2024-09-23 04:46:27 UTC
Post by DFS
Post by vallor
https://imgur.com/bAiSkLe
Those are darn sharp, even when enlarged.
See: Loading Image...

vallor
2024-09-23 05:25:11 UTC
Post by Joel
Post by DFS
Post by vallor
https://imgur.com/bAiSkLe
Those are darn sharp, even when enlarged.
See: https://i.imgur.com/bAiSkLe.png
What is the point?
"Do radioactive cats have 18 half-lives?"
Joel
2024-09-23 05:37:32 UTC
Post by vallor
Post by Joel
Post by DFS
Post by vallor
https://imgur.com/bAiSkLe
Those are darn sharp, even when enlarged.
See: https://i.imgur.com/bAiSkLe.png
What is the point?
Just that if you find the raw image, it's what DFS stated "when
enlarged", the image as it first appears on your link's page is
*shrunk*.

vallor
2024-09-23 07:05:50 UTC
Post by Joel
Post by vallor
Post by Joel
Post by DFS
Post by vallor
https://imgur.com/bAiSkLe
Those are darn sharp, even when enlarged.
See: https://i.imgur.com/bAiSkLe.png
What is the point?
Just that if you find the raw image, it's what DFS stated "when
enlarged", the image as it first appears on your link's page is
*shrunk*.
That makes sense. (They are the same size on my screen, but
I use a 4K monitor.)
"((((((((((HYPNOTIC))))))))(((((((TAG LINE))))))))"
Joel
2024-09-23 14:19:19 UTC
Post by vallor
Post by Joel
Post by vallor
Post by Joel
Post by DFS
Post by vallor
https://imgur.com/bAiSkLe
Those are darn sharp, even when enlarged.
See: https://i.imgur.com/bAiSkLe.png
What is the point?
Just that if you find the raw image, it's what DFS stated "when
enlarged", the image as it first appears on your link's page is
*shrunk*.
That makes sense. (They are the same size on my screen, but
I use a 4K monitor.)
I have one too, actually, but it may not appear quite the same
depending on how the browser is configured, I guess.

chrisv
2024-09-23 12:13:52 UTC
Post by vallor
https://imgur.com/bAiSkLe
That's what it should look like, not what you posted.
That is nice!
--
"That's what you said:" - DumFSck, lying shamelessly, after which he
quoted what I really said. Nice of him, to document his own *lie*.