Lunduke's video on this latest issue
Add Reply
CrudeSausage
2024-09-26 23:27:50 UTC
Spoiler: you're going to need to remove pretty much everything that has
to do with CUPS and never print from a UNIX machine ever again to fix this.

<https://lunduke.locals.com/upost/6159931/the-9-9-linux-vulnerability-revealed-its-the-printers>
--
CrudeSausage
Catholic, paleoconservative, Christ is king
rbowman
2024-09-27 02:00:10 UTC
Post by CrudeSausage
Spoiler: you're going to need to remove pretty much everything that has
to do with CUPS and never print from a UNIX machine ever again to fix this.
<https://lunduke.locals.com/upost/6159931/the-9-9-linux-vulnerability-
revealed-its-the-printers>

On Ubuntu cios is a snap package so you need

sudo snap stop cups
sudo snap disable cups

I still had to run

sudo systemctl stop cups

to get rid of cupsd. cups.cups-browsed wasn't running on the Fedora box
and systemctl got rid of cupsd. I print something every other year so I
don't see a downside.
Lawrence D'Oliveiro
2024-09-27 02:30:12 UTC
Post by rbowman
sudo systemctl stop cups
systemctl has the option “disable --now” to stop the service and also
prevent it from autostarting. Does the “snap” command have a similar
option?
rbowman
2024-09-27 05:00:16 UTC
Post by Lawrence D'Oliveiro
systemctl has the option “disable --now” to stop the service and also
prevent it from autostarting. Does the “snap” command have a similar
option?
snap stop
snap disable

$ snap services
Service Startup Current
Notes
canonical-livepatch.canonical-livepatchd enabled active -
cups.cups-browsed disabled inactive -
cups.cupsd disabled inactive -
snapd-desktop-integration.snapd-desktop-integration enabled active
user
RonB
2024-09-27 04:32:48 UTC
Post by CrudeSausage
Spoiler: you're going to need to remove pretty much everything that has
to do with CUPS and never print from a UNIX machine ever again to fix this.
<https://lunduke.locals.com/upost/6159931/the-9-9-linux-vulnerability-revealed-its-the-printers>
YAWWWWWNNNNNNN
--
“Evil is not able to create anything new, it can only distort and destroy
what has been invented or made by the forces of good.” —J.R.R. Tolkien
vallor
2024-09-27 04:59:13 UTC
Post by RonB
Post by CrudeSausage
Spoiler: you're going to need to remove pretty much everything that has
to do with CUPS and never print from a UNIX machine ever again to fix this.
<https://lunduke.locals.com/upost/6159931/the-9-9-linux-vulnerability-
revealed-its-the-printers>
Post by RonB
YAWWWWWNNNNNNN
I wonder what can possibly be done to mitigate against
such a nefarious problem?
--
-v System76 Thelio Mega v1.1 x86_64 NVIDIA RTX 3090 Ti
OS: Linux 6.11.0 Release: Mint 21.3 Mem: 258G
"Confusion not only reigns, it pours."
CrudeSausage
2024-09-27 12:53:33 UTC
Post by RonB
Post by CrudeSausage
Spoiler: you're going to need to remove pretty much everything that has
to do with CUPS and never print from a UNIX machine ever again to fix this.
<https://lunduke.locals.com/upost/6159931/the-9-9-linux-vulnerability-revealed-its-the-printers>
YAWWWWWNNNNNNN
Before you know it, you'll have to disable most of modern conveniences
of Linux just to keep yourself protected. It's pathetic how Windows ends
up being more secure than Linux and MacOS in this respect.
RonB
2024-09-27 23:19:39 UTC
Post by CrudeSausage
Post by RonB
Post by CrudeSausage
Spoiler: you're going to need to remove pretty much everything that has
to do with CUPS and never print from a UNIX machine ever again to fix this.
<https://lunduke.locals.com/upost/6159931/the-9-9-linux-vulnerability-revealed-its-the-printers>
YAWWWWWNNNNNNN
Before you know it, you'll have to disable most of modern conveniences
of Linux just to keep yourself protected. It's pathetic how Windows ends
up being more secure than Linux and MacOS in this respect.
Total bullshit. Sorry but I'm not buying into your hyperventilating
hyperbole about "Linux insecurity." I'm guessing you're disappointed that
the fix for this "catastrophic" issue was so damned simple, so you're
doubling down on the "hypothetical insecure BS" angle.

Use your ad-infested, back-door infested Windows crap and enjoy it. I'll
keep using Linux, thank you.
Joel
2024-09-27 23:27:39 UTC
Post by RonB
Use your ad-infested, back-door infested Windows crap and enjoy it. I'll
keep using Linux, thank you.
I got Copilot PLUS!* Kidding of course, this is why I'm feeling so
great about openSUSE.

* https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/copilot-plus-pcs
--
Joel W. Crump

Amendment XIV
Section 1.

[...] No state shall make or enforce any law which shall
abridge the privileges or immunities of citizens of the
United States; nor shall any state deprive any person of
life, liberty, or property, without due process of law;
nor deny to any person within its jurisdiction the equal
protection of the laws.

Dobbs rewrites this, it is invalid precedent. States are
liable for denying needed abortions, e.g. TX.
CrudeSausage
2024-09-28 12:01:14 UTC
Post by RonB
Post by CrudeSausage
Post by RonB
Post by CrudeSausage
Spoiler: you're going to need to remove pretty much everything that has
to do with CUPS and never print from a UNIX machine ever again to fix this.
<https://lunduke.locals.com/upost/6159931/the-9-9-linux-vulnerability-revealed-its-the-printers>
YAWWWWWNNNNNNN
Before you know it, you'll have to disable most of modern conveniences
of Linux just to keep yourself protected. It's pathetic how Windows ends
up being more secure than Linux and MacOS in this respect.
Total bullshit. Sorry but I'm not buying into your hyperventilating
hyperbole about "Linux insecurity." I'm guessing you're disappointed that
the fix for this "catastrophic" issue was so damned simple, so you're
doubling down on the "hypothetical insecure BS" angle.
Use your ad-infested, back-door infested Windows crap and enjoy it. I'll
keep using Linux, thank you.
Like I said, I'm happy to see that the solution is as simple as it is
and that it doesn't affect printing as much as I expected that it would.
When the problem was revealed, it truly sounded like the fix would be
worse than the problem.
Lawrence D'Oliveiro
2024-09-27 23:45:59 UTC
Post by CrudeSausage
It's pathetic how Windows ends
up being more secure than Linux and MacOS in this respect.
Since when? Microsoft needs patches to its Windows patches, to fix new
bugs introduced by those patches, or because the original patch doesn’t
properly fix the problem.

In the Open Source world, once a bug is fixed, it does tend to stay fixed.