It's Burning Time Again
Add Reply
Nux Vomica
2024-09-25 16:40:10 UTC
It's been about 2 years since I've backed up my e-books to optical disk.
Since then I have acquired a bit more and my e-library now sizes about
100 Gb.

Holey fucking moley! If all those volumes were paper they would weigh
a thousand fucking tons -- and that's no exaggeration.

So I have to burn four 25 Gb bdr (that's Blu-Ray) disks.

Here is the GNU/Linux command:

growisofs -dvd-compat -speed=2 -udf -iso-level 3 -Z /dev/sr0 -J -r -graft-points /<cd drive dir>/=/<local dir>/ ...

This will produce a hybrid UDF/ISO-9660 filesystem because ISO-9660
by itself does not support files larger than 4.38 Gb.

It will also allow direct copying of files without having to create
an intermediate UDF/ISO-9660 file mounted as loop back.

The "-J" option is a kludge to allow "Joliet extensions" which may
allow the disk to be read by the Microslop OS. I say "may" because
Microslop has proven to be highly inferior when dealing with optical
media. In the past I've had nothing but trouble, but the future promises
never to use Microslop again. I shouldn't even use it but I need
to keep every avenue of recovery open -- even that garbage Microslop.

There is also a possible "-rock" option to create the Unix "Rock Ridge"
protocol, which is far, far, far superior in its capabilities than that
Microcrap Joliet. However, because these files are just e-books in a
simple directory structure there is no need for it.

Now it's burn, baby, burn!

The "-speed=2" option will keep the burn speed at a minimum which
is much better for creating a faithful reproduction. But the burn
time will be a few hours, even for 25 Gb.

I don't use higher capacity bdr, such as 100 Gb, because they may
be more error prone.

I also use M-Disc because it will outlive me (I am 24 years old):

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M-DISC

Conclusion:

Unless you regularly burn your valuable data to optical media
then you are a fucking, losing, asshole idiot -- but we knew that
already.

Ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha!

This is Nuxxie, out.
Systemd: solving all the problems that you never knew you had.
The Natural Philosopher
2024-09-25 17:58:58 UTC
Post by Nux Vomica
Unless you regularly burn your valuable data to optical media
then you are a fucking, losing, asshole idiot -- but we knew that
already.
If you regularly burn your valuable data to optical media then you are a
fucking, losing, asshole idiot -- but we knew that already.

Everybody else is using SSD or spinning rust...
--
"When a true genius appears in the world, you may know him by this sign,
that the dunces are all in confederacy against him."

Jonathan Swift.
Nux Vomica
2024-09-25 18:39:02 UTC
Post by The Natural Philosopher
Everybody else is using SSD or spinning rust...
Please speak only for thyself, for it is only for thyself that thou
canst speak.

Capisci? Verstehen Sie Mich? Understand?

One with a spinning rust brain cannot comprehend a fucking thing.
Systemd: solving all the problems that you never knew you had.
Nux Vomica

1megameter
2024-09-27 18:40:42 UTC
Post by Nux Vomica
Unless you regularly burn your valuable data to optical media
then you are a fucking, losing, asshole idiot -- but we knew that
already.
If you regularly burn your valuable data to optical media then you are a
fucking, losing, asshole idiot -- but we knew that already.
Everybody else is using SSD or spinning rust...
The cost of storage is lower for hard drives than BD-R, but adding data
to a SSD and putting it in the closet is a bad idea, since the data
isn't stable on it.

So you have to set it up in a NAS, which will increase the cost and
complexity and add to the overall power consumption.

BD-rs on the other hand I can just put on the shelf and not have to
think about again.

rek2 hispagatos
2024-09-25 18:00:08 UTC
Post by Nux Vomica
growisofs -dvd-compat -speed=2 -udf -iso-level 3 -Z /dev/sr0 -J -r -graft-points /<cd drive dir>/=/<local dir>/ ...
Now it's burn, baby, burn!
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M-DISC
Thanks for sharing, I am impressed when you said you were only 24, I am
used to people my generation doing everything with unix and CLI/TUI
was happy, to be honest to read your article speacilly because you use
usenet and you said GNU/Linux <--- very happy.

Thank you you cheared my up a bit today.
Happy Hacking
ReK2
DFS
2024-09-25 18:12:23 UTC
Post by rek2 hispagatos
Post by Nux Vomica
growisofs -dvd-compat -speed=2 -udf -iso-level 3 -Z /dev/sr0 -J -r -graft-points /<cd drive dir>/=/<local dir>/ ...
Now it's burn, baby, burn!
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M-DISC
Thanks for sharing, I am impressed when you said you were only 24,
He's a liar.

The IT failure 'Nux Vomica' (real name Larry A Piet - he told us so) is
in his early 40s and still lives at home.
Nux Vomica
2024-09-25 18:30:15 UTC
Post by rek2 hispagatos
Thanks for sharing,
No problem.

Prior to posting this message I did a Google search for BRD burning
and most of the links are > 10 years old.

The world has lost interest, it seems, in a highly valuable storage
medium that is definitely superior to both HDD and SSD.

It's too bad for the world.

M-Disc, as well as BDR burners, are still available and GNU/Linux/FOSS
will never drop its support.

But to protect against the irrationality of the human species (how else
can Microsoft/Apple survive?) I have stockpiled a lot a BDR readers/burners
that are currently available from Newegg, BestBuy, etc.

I have a LOT of optical media and GNU/Linux handles it all.
Systemd: solving all the problems that you never knew you had.
Nux Vomica

John McCue
2024-09-25 20:44:50 UTC
Post by Nux Vomica
It's been about 2 years since I've backed up my e-books to optical disk.
<snip>
Post by Nux Vomica
The "-speed=2" option will keep the burn speed at a minimum which
is much better for creating a faithful reproduction. But the burn
time will be a few hours, even for 25 Gb.
I knew about this, but I am not sure of the benefit is worth
the time. If burned correctly then no issues.
Post by Nux Vomica
I don't use higher capacity bdr, such as 100 Gb, because they may
be more error prone.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M-DISC
Never heard of these, will need to look into these, thanks.

<snip>
--
[t]csh(1) - "An elegant shell, for a more... civilized age."
- Paraphrasing Star Wars
Nux Vomica
2024-09-25 21:10:02 UTC
Post by John McCue
Post by Nux Vomica
The "-speed=2" option will keep the burn speed at a minimum which
is much better for creating a faithful reproduction. But the burn
time will be a few hours, even for 25 Gb.
I knew about this, but I am not sure of the benefit is worth
the time. If burned correctly then no issues.
Just do it before you retire for the night and when you
awake in the morning simply remove and label the disk.

If one is extremely concerned about data fidelity, then
there is dvdisaster:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dvdisaster

GNU/Linux has the tools. The user must determine for himself
how far he wants to go.
Systemd: solving all the problems that you never knew you had.
Camacho
2024-09-26 00:01:14 UTC
Post by Nux Vomica
Unless you regularly burn your valuable data to optical media
then you are a fucking, losing, asshole idiot -- but we knew that
already.
People still using optical media in 2024 are the ones who are "fucking,
losing, asshole idiots".
DFS
2024-09-27 02:01:17 UTC
Post by Nux Vomica
I am 24 years old
Lie.

Can you get thru ONE day on cola without lying?
bad sector
2024-09-27 12:05:53 UTC
Post by Nux Vomica
[...]
If you're looking for a fight then you should at least end with over and
not out, the out might soon visit upon you anyway :-)

That said, what is the longevity of data on frisbies? Last time I looked
it was shitty and in the case of bdr's absolutely gaaaawdawful! SSD's
are not much better, and word is that a 16tb wd gold will do best. But
even that is risky seeing that you might wake up one morning to find
that the technology along that of proprietary ebooks has ceased to
exist: goodbye data. Maybe using all three is a better way to waste money.